Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sash Windows to front ...... what to rear ?????

• 08-03-2019 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

At the moment we are refurbing a 1900's farm house - 2 stories over basement.

We want 5 wooden sash on the front to preserve a bit of authenticity.
    At the back - we would like sash , but price may be prohibitive - and window maintenance down the road on a third story...

Does anyone have any advice as to how they completed their project or an opinion as to a design aesthetic .....(11 windows to rear - road to front - river side/road opposite river to rear).

All opinions welcome,
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭monseiur

Why fit wooden sash windows when you can get uPVC ones that look just as authentic and are more or less maintenance free - fit them front & back if budget permitting.
    M.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Whatever windows at the rear that cannot be seen from the road just place normal windows. I know two houses in my area that have sash windows.
    The first house has upvc sash windows at the front. And normal windows at the back and rear of the house.
    The second house has wooden sash windows in the front and normal windows at the back and rear. U can see the windows are different to the rear from the road it still looks well.
    Its very common in the country to have different windows at the back to the front. Very few see them at the back. And if people do go around the back once they are the same colour as the front they dont standout. Take any house with extension like withDermot Bannon influence. The front u have normal windows but lots of glass at the back. U can have a different windows at the back. Its very common. And it works.
    If u place shutters inside instead of curtains in your front windows with sash at the front it also works. The house I know has sash windows at the front with shutters and normal windows at the back with roman blinds it really works.

Also as someone said above upvc sash windows also look well and authentic once u get the right colour and design. The house I know has upvc sash windows and they look real well. I thought they look better then wooden. Wooden sash are nice. But upvc can have a nicer design. Sash with a modern twist. It can work real well. Check upvc sash the price is lower and u cud do front and back. Wooden sash wud be very expensive. UPVC sash are expensive then normal windows but they r more affordable then sash wooden windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Michael H

Its the profile of the window that is the issue... especially for the front. The wooden has a way better finish.
    Also its supplier doesn't have the best rep for installation. If I'm spending €16k on windows - i don't want them falling out ! - metaphor for life !

All the windows at the rear can be seen from across the river , but there are no gable windows ... so at least it would look uniform if you were to choose a casement style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Am looking to have a sash window replaced.

Thinking of UPVC also.

Who did you use?

Happy with them?

Please PM if you wish.

Thanks.

D.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

You could use the PM function and not spam the forum with multiple posts on the same topic

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement