Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foreign Exchange

Options
  • 08-03-2019 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

I recently went to my BOI branch with £10 Sterling which I wanted to exchange for Euro and was amazed to be told that I must lodge the euro to my account due to "money laundering rules". How can changing £10 be considered money laundering ????. If I went to your FX desk and asked to buy US Dollars and offered cash to pay would it be refused and would the euros have to come from my account ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Thanks Glencarraig for checking here with us.

Yes, that is correct Branch procedure. Regardless of the amount, the exchange and purchase of FX needs to be transacted through a bank account.

If you need to collect cash currency, the Euro amount is transacted through your bank account and then the FX cash will be given to you.

Hope you find the info helpful,

Many thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Thanks Glencarraig for checking here with us.

Yes, that is correct Branch procedure. Regardless of the amount, the exchange and purchase of FX needs to be transacted through a bank account.

If you need to collect cash currency, the Euro amount is transacted through your bank account and then the FX cash will be given to you.

Hope you find the info helpful,

Many thanks
    Alison
    When did this become a thing? I've sold foreign currency before for cash and while I was offered to deposit it in my account, I wasn't forced to.

Does this mean you effectively don't buy currency from non-customers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

troyzer wrote: »
    When did this become a thing? I've sold foreign currency before for cash and while I was offered to deposit it in my account, I wasn't forced to.

Hi troyzer,

This was introduced last year and as all foreign exchange must go through an account, we can't exchange currency for non-customers.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Hi troyzer,

This was introduced last year and as all foreign exchange must go through an account, we can't exchange currency for non-customers.

Thanks
    Tara
    Was there a legislative change or are Bank of Ireland just being awkward? I'm no longer a customer by the way precisely because of things like this but I wasn't aware of this exact anti-consumer practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Hi troyzer,

Thanks
    Tara
    Was there a legislative change or are Bank of Ireland just being awkward? I'm no longer a customer by the way precisely because of things like this but I wasn't aware of this exact anti-consumer practice.
    I am now waiting for the Gardai to arrive to arrest me for attempting to "launder" £10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: John

I am now waiting for the Gardai to arrive to arrest me for attempting to "launder" £10

Hi,

Please refer to my colleagues message above. We have no comment to add to this.

Many Thanks.

John  

Advertisement