Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake offers on properties?

Options
  • 08-03-2019 3:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭

I emailed an estate agent about viewing a place to potentially buy a few weeks ago. It took her 5 days to get back to me, she said there was currently a cash offer on the place that was €5000 above the asking price. I emailed her back telling her I wasn't interested in a bidding war so I wasn't interested in the apartment. She emailed me back 10 minutes later saying she spoke to the finance guy who said he didn't believe the offer to be genuine because the person who made the cash offer hadn't even viewed the property, instead he/she made the offer after looking at pictures on daft.ie. She wanted to arrange a viewing with me but I declined. I know there was a thread about this a few days ago but that's closed now so I'll ask here, is there anyway to know for certain if the offers estate agents say are real? I suspect they're not often but that's down to a distrust of estate agents so maybe I'm biased?

Thanks and sorry for the rambling message.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,523 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Bidding war?

So you are looking for a property no one else is interested in bidding on, and would be happy for your details to be passed on to other bidders to prove your bid is real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

Not on that property I wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

If you want to bid on the appt, then make your (almost) absolute max bid that you are prepared to pay but tell the EA that if it's not acceptable then you'll walk away. Don't let them use your bid as a benchmark to extract a higher offer from another bidder, be they genuine of fictitious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭CPTM

Instead of trying to get the property for the cheapest price, decide how much it's worth to you and stick to anything less than or equal to that. Everything else is just noise. If you get it at a price you think is good value, then other bidders (or fake bidders) don't matter.

Short answer - no there isn't a way as far as I know.

Thank you both for that very good advice. I didn't really care about that particular property. I am just trying to see as many places as possible in my desired areas. I should be more upfront myself instead of worrying stuff I can't control.

Thank you again! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Thank you for that

Advertisement