Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offering unpaid internship (remote work)

Options
  • 08-03-2019 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi all,

Is offering unpaid internships legal in Ireland?

If so, I am wondering about bringing in an intern for working on real-world web development projects (so full-stack - front-end and/or backend). In exchange, I am proposing to offer mentoring and an opportunity to gain experience. Ideally, I'd like to meet the candidate face-to-face, but for the most part, the work can be done remotely, with daily contact.

How the arrangement work will probably be formalised in writing.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

I wouldn't touch providing unpaid internships if any real work is being done as employment rights risk coming into play, unless it is through an appropriate government work scheme.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/unpaid-internships-1.3579613

• Registered Users Posts: 24,349 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hi all,

Is offering unpaid internships legal in Ireland?

If so, I am wondering about bringing in an intern for working on real-world web development projects (so full-stack - front-end and/or backend). In exchange, I am proposing to offer mentoring and an opportunity to gain experience. Ideally, I'd like to meet the candidate face-to-face, but for the most part, the work can be done remotely, with daily contact.

How the arrangement work will probably be formalised in writing.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks

unpaid internship in IT?

you're having a laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

If you cannot afford to pay staff a decent wage, you cannot afford staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

lawred2 wrote: »
    unpaid internship in IT?

you're having a laugh

I have a son in development and I showed him this post and he laughed out loud

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭oLoonatic

While I (kind of) understand your sentiment. you get what you pay for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement