Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vet visits

• 08-03-2019 4:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭

Lads, I have had the Vet out twice now and am on my 40th ewe lambing. That's due to my inexperience mainly. How often do ye have the Vet out? I know some farmers never call the Vet anyway and would just let a ewe die.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭kk.man

arctictree wrote: »
    Lads, I have had the Vet out twice now and am on my 40th ewe lambing. That's due to my inexperience mainly. How often do ye have the Vet out? I know some farmers never call the Vet anyway and would just let a ewe die.

Well I'd never call him out. I bring the ewe to his practice if need be which is only 5mins drive. I'd never let an animal die.
    Vets going to stop issuing prescription now if they don't get a call out every 4 months. At the moment I am looking for an excuse to call him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Luck a lot of the times. Didnt javw to get him too much tjis year. A lot more last year.
    Often you could go to the vet a few times in a few days and not again for a fortnight. I wouldnt worry about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I wouldn't let a ewe die anyway, only seem to get a vet for ceasareans, once or twice in the season even when we had the 550 ewes . Anyone that begrudges a ewe the vet is a tight git,
    OH is very good at getting lambs out and I leave the ''ringwombs'' to her, and with ewe lambs I sometimes find it very difficult to get my thick arms far enough in to get a twine round the head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cran

Only ever for C Sections of which I’ve had two in last 6 years, I have used the vet for sick animals though outside of lambing.
    Vet here once said to me unless a c section I see no reason for you to bring a ewe here to lamb, you’re better than any of our vets. I thought he was blowing hot air up me but I do know him since was a child...

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Had eight sections last year, haven’t seen much of the vet this year half way through touch wood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Work away from home a bit,my helper is well on in years. If theres anythin in bother i just ring and get them out. Peace of mind for me on 2 fronts.

If i am at home, i take anythin i cant handle to them. I dont get why ppl would never give somethin a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭arctictree

I'm kind of lucky in that the Vet is less than 5 minutes from me. It's a good agricultural practice with expertise in lambing. I generally prefer to have them come to me as I don't like to move a ewe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'm kind of lucky in that the Vet is less than 5 minutes from me. It's a good agricultural practice with expertise in lambing. I generally prefer to have them come to me as I don't like to move a ewe.

We're nearly half an hour from our vet so I can save him an hour at a busy time if I bring her in. We'd always give them the choice of where they want to treat her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Vet is about 15 km away so not usually for sheep.
    Once in the last ten years...section needed, huge dead lamb inside. Normally we manage them ourselves !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭davidk1394

2 call outs so far. One to put down a ewe and a c section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

davidk1394 wrote: »
    2 call outs so far. One to put down a ewe and a c section.

Would the knackery not do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

we'd bring the ewe to the vet, during clinic hours

Advertisement