Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free tickets to the Ideal Home Show, RDS 12th-14th April

Comments

Is this actually worth going to?

Is it only worth wandering in to if you're about to start building a house, or if you're a builder/tradesman? Is there much for Joe Soap to do (other than get a load of sales pitches)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,722 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I work in ballsbridge so pop in on my lunch break on Saturday each time. Twice a year and I tell myself each time that I won't go again. It's always the same old crap. A few doors and windows manufacturers, a few home security companies, some gardening and DIY experts and a whole pile of "green" ideas which appear over priced and gimmicky when compared to a quick Google search for each topic. Yet, it's free tickets and I'll probably go against my better judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭go4it

..Is there much for Joe Soap to do (other than get a load of sales pitches)?

As advertised: Vegetable peelers, garlic crushers, magic mops, window cleaners, shower systems, garden hoses and a myriad of useful labour and time saving devices are on show.

From last 3 years shows:
    -bought a whisk for foamy milk- used it 4 times;
    -bought a electric massage yoke: used it 2 months, sits in a drawer for the last 2 yrs

Asked about COP in air-air heating systems : the salesman handed me a brochure, didn't know much about at what outdoor temperature are 'the savings' benchmarked to

Asked about a 400 euro cctv/alarm system ( from e i r com afaik ) : a technical question (camera's resolution, codec used, storage locally or cloud ) passed through 3 sales mans, waited 10min for the 'techie person , just to be told that usually is my internet speed that makes the system useless for online monitoring. but i could call a premium number and ask for 2nd level support and they know all the details....

they handed me a colorful brochure that i politely refused : i don't have a chimney anymore, so no need for fire starters...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

We had just bought a house last year and went specifically for a monitored alarm and all tbe comapnies there had special offers on which we had researched beforehand , so we knew what we were going for and it was well worth it!

Its not that bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Its not that bad

It's not great tbh. The food available was dire. The stalls are full of the same stuff. No great offers on anything . I'd go to the home exhibition later the in year even though you have to pay for tickets.Thought it was much better.
    although one year colour trend had interior designers there who gave free advice which was good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I never understand paying into exhibitions so people can try sell you stuff anyone that does is crazy, didn’t know this was on, will pop along as we are building later this year, I did enjoy the self build one in city west and got some good ideas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

My misses went to one in city west, came back with ear rings, Meringues.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,926 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is it worth going to? Possibly, there are occasionally signup offers, e.g. a frequent one is Gas Networks Ireland waiving their signup fee. If you were going to get gas in anyway, that'd be well worth it.

Is it worth paying in to? No, you can always find free tickets somewhere. Always.

Advertisement