Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Polytunnell

Options
  • 08-03-2019 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking for advice on polycarbonate polytunell,how best is it to secure to the ground and are there any companies anyone can recommend to do everything please??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Hi

I did an Introdution to Growing in Polytunnels course here last year:

https://www.theorganiccentre.ie/shop/index.php?route=common/home

I thought it was very good and he went into a good bit of detail on where to site your tunnel, what to look for in a company that's providing it, tunnel size, what orientation, doors open/closed, etc. Even if you're not planning on going fully organic, it's good to hear the advice on using natural fertiliser (e.g. a barrel of fermented nettles for N fertilser), etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Sheedy234

MacDanger wrote: »
    Hi

I did an Introdution to Growing in Polytunnels course here last year:

https://www.theorganiccentre.ie/shop/index.php?route=common/home

I thought it was very good and he went into a good bit of detail on where to site your tunnel, what to look for in a company that's providing it, tunnel size, what orientation, doors open/closed, etc. Even if you're not planning on going fully organic, it's good to hear the advice on using natural fertiliser (e.g. a barrel of fermented nettles for N fertilser), etc.

Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Poolfix

Hi
    Did you get sorted with a Polytunnel

Poolfix wrote: »
    Hi
    Did you get sorted with a Polytunnel

Hi yes I did I went with company called KSB greenhouse. I got 6mm polycarbonate 3x4 metres installed with automatic thermal window for 870. Very happy with it . Door and window also on front and back. Thermal window was optional as was 6mm I could have got 4mm . Look at there Facebook page . Model was called STRONG

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

Wow! That looks great!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Sheedy234 wrote: »
    Hi yes I did I went with company called KSB greenhouse. I got 6mm polycarbonate 3x4 metres installed with automatic thermal window for 870. Very happy with it . Door and window also on front and back. Thermal window was optional as was 6mm I could have got 4mm . Look at there Facebook page . Model was called STRONG

Nice achievement.
    Wish you to have great monents in there.

Quick Q:is that the show room model or, the one in your garden ?
    Why the pots inside and why so tall beds walls ?

Have fun !

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

That looks great! Did the same company do the installation? Including the base? It's just what I'm looking for!😀

rolion wrote: »
    Nice achievement.
    Wish you to have great monents in there.

Quick Q:is that the show room model or, the one in your garden ?
    Why the pots inside and why so tall beds walls ?

Have fun !

Hi
    This is ours in the garden, reason for pots we already have an outdoor veg garden and wanted this for my dad as a hobby for him and easier so he doesn't have to be digging and bending down so much. He is growing tomatoes ,cucumber sweetcorn peppers,chili's and herbs . It's really lovely and nice place to just sit down and enjoy the heat lol!!

finla wrote: »
    That looks great! Did the same company do the installation? Including the base? It's just what I'm looking for!😀

Yes the basic cost for 6mm carbonate with extra window is 650 euro and they charged 220 to install so (870) in total and in fairness they were they for 6 hrs doing it so well worth paying them ,slot of work in it. We just leveled the ground before hand and the the tunnell is secured into the ground with anchor plates and filled in with concrete. It's so solid . We put down plastic and then covered with a ton of pea gravel.my dad loves it so much space. I myself have a glasshouse and it breaks my heart replacing glass with winds ,I will prob change to one of these next year. Have a look at there Facebook page it's KSB GARDENS

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Excuse my ignorance - new to all this gardening lark but excited to start getting into it - but what is an 'automatic thermal window'? Your tunnel looks very well and seems excellent value.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Excuse my ignorance - new to all this gardening lark but excited to start getting into it - but what is an 'automatic thermal window'? Your tunnel looks very well and seems excellent value.
    Thanks.

It opens and closes itself going on temp , I think it's start opening once temp go above 17 degrees. It doesn't just open fully it does it in stages pending temps. I probably in hindsight would just go with manual opener tbh unless u were going to be around very much .

Advertisement