Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you sell excouncil house for private estate

Options
  • 08-03-2019 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Bought an ex council house in Kilmore almost 30 years ago . Previously lived in same road with my parents so on same road 40 years. Have s few good neighbours who are great and all in all I’m very happy there. It’s a very safe area and no harm has ever come to us there. There are some antisocial elements occasional scramblers etc but safe.
    I wouldn’t have a lot in common with some of the people but can depend on the ones i know well for example my father is unwell and the local chemist drove him home last week when I was t around after seejnf he was not well.
    Anyway while I have upgraded my house it’s still not what I want . I want an upstairs toilet and landing etc . To be honest I have a fairly good job and am slightly ashamed of where I live as in no one I work with would live in a council estate. Plenty of my childhood friends have done well for themselves but all have moved from the area.
    I know have a chance of moving to a private estate and buying there . About to put my house on the market but doubting myself . I will only be moving 1km to this better estate but the upheaval of moving would be considerable . Am I mad to consider it considering I’m happy enough. Do people look down on former council houses the way I imagine

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

You're right OP that some people probably do look down on former council houses, but honestly if you're happy there I really wouldn't care what people think, least of all work colleagues.

If however you have the money to move to one that has all the needs that you mentioned (upstairs toilet etc) then go for it. You have a good job and work hard so why not, so long at it doesn't put you in significant debt. Just bear in mind the headache that comes with buying/selling/packing/moving house (or so I'm told, I unfortunately don't own any property).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

So many ex Council Estates have become popular places to live and have been "gentrified" in recent years. The stigma is a fraction of what it was. I wouldn't move for the sake of moving, do your place up and make it the home you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Am I mad to consider it considering I’m happy enough.
    Not really. Just ensure you have the option to expand the house that you buy, both up and out; in a few houses the attic is only fit for storage. Just bare in mind that a lot of semi-detached houses build in the last 20-30 years have crap sound insulation between them.

Moving 1km away is just upgrading the house, but not really the location, which I think you don't really want to upgrade?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

If your move is primarily related to the perceived stigma/snobbery related to a Council estate I would say forget it. People who go in for this will always find a way to express it - or to puff up themselves. You will find it again wherever you go. You've done well with your life - be proud of who you are and find contentment within yourself.

That said, if your moving because of space restrictions or because of anti-social behaviour it is a different matter. If you are sure you are getting what you want and you can afford it then it is definitely worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

Anyway while I have upgraded my house it’s still not what I want . I want an upstairs toilet and landing etc .

You’ve answered your own question. Look if you are going to move then make sure it’s worth it.

Back in the late 90’s I bought a semi d on site I used to work on. Never really settled and after 4 years sold up and bought a smaller house close to where I used to live.

I have rented houses either side of me now, which at time in past caused me serious heartache with parties and tenants driving their mopeds in through the house at 4am in morning ( don’t ask). If moving checkout area during the evening and day and at weekends. See if next door is rented.

• Advertisement
Advertisement