Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    It's up there now. I just watched it despite having to be up for work in 5 hours!

Doesn't seem to be coming up for those of us who are abroad. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mattser

Well done Mayo from a Meathman. Great scenes at the end. Ye should have taken us in '96, but that's another story.
    Hope ye do it this year.
    Enjoy the celebrations. Richly deserved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Well done to Mayo on deserved win. The 30 year olds and lads in their late 20s finally get to win a national title and you could see especially 2nd half that the hunger to win was far greater than Kerry. Mayo are back with a bang after a poor 2018 under Rochford and in this form its going to take a very good team to beat them this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Agree with everything except for the bit sbout keegan and stephen obrein. Even though he wasnt great in the 2nd half,clifford absolutely scared the ****e out of me anytime he got the ball. So dangerous, but it would have nullified keegan if he was put back.

Big players stood up today, aos, higgins, hennely, diarmuid. When the game was in the melting pot, they stood up and were counted
    Aidan was foolish for the red though.

One of the best moments in CP in years. Atmosphere was terrific

I still think it was a great call to put Keegan on him in the 2nd half, he was the main danger I thought. He had shown that once or twice at the beginning of the half (and obviously in the first with his goal) but once Keegan was put on him, he was nullified for 10-15 important minutes.

I also don't think Keegan is as effective of a marker standing back in a FB line.

Clifford obviously strikes fear but I thought Harrison did well on him and forced him to work harder than he would like with plenty of runs forward, especially in the first half.

Really thought O'Brien was the main threat out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

irishgeo wrote: »
    great win. Finally. The joy on the faces of the lads was great. Lets keep it going. The break last summer might be the best thing ever.

I had a guy screaming in my ear" let it in" for the whole of the first half. Then he nearly lost his mind when someone shot from distance in the second half and before the ball got near the posts. What a waste , why did he shot from ...... Oh great score . I had a wry smile.

It's a much nicer trip home with a smile on your face.

Lower Cusack 302? It had to be the same fella!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Delighted for Mayo and that group of players. Really should give them great hope for the Championship. If someone says its only the league, they should get a slap ! Any National title is huge. I still maintain that the two teams on show (possibly Galway and Tyrone after) are the only teams who can stop the team with the biggest population who play all their home games in Croke Park later in the year.

Well done Mayo, enjoy and keep getting stronger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Delighted for Mayo and that group of players. Really should give them great hope for the Championship. If someone says its only the league, they should get a slap ! Any National title is huge. I still maintain that the two teams on show (possibly Galway and Tyrone after) are the only teams who can stop the team with the biggest population who play all their home games in Croke Park later in the year.

You forgot to mention , they also have all the money , free cars , free dinners delivered to their doors and not forgetting Dublin Joe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Delighted for you boys.

Mother is from Mayo and I've shared the joys and pains of the last decade. Was great to see Mayo finally win a national title. Hopefully that can stir something in them this year to go that extra few inches and secure Sam.

Although after Mayo's second goal and before the third there were a few crazy long range efforts that gave the ball back to Kerry that had me tearing my hair out. Mayo will still need to develop a calmer head collectively when trying to close out a game.

And without a bit of goal keeping heroics it could all have been for nothing yet again.

Thankfully the ageless Andy Moran was on hand with his cool head to put Treacy away in space.

Well done boys. Bring on the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

PARlance wrote: »
    I still think it was a great call to put Keegan on him in the 2nd half, he was the main danger I thought. He had shown that once or twice at the beginning of the half (and obviously in the first with his goal) but once Keegan was put on him, he was nullified for 10-15 important minutes.

I also don't think Keegan is as effective of a marker standing back in a FB line.

Clifford obviously strikes fear but I thought Harrison did well on him and forced him to work harder than he would like with plenty of runs forward, especially in the first half.

Really thought O'Brien was the main threat out there.

100% I hate to see him on the ball as he is fast and makes the scores. He really knows how to win a free as well which makes him very difficult to deal with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

100% I hate to see him on the ball as he is fast and makes the scores. He really knows how to win a free as well which makes him very difficult to deal with.

He has the radar to just go straight towards the goal. Nightmare to mark. I think he has been very underrated over the years - whereas the plaudits went to the likes of Donaghy, Donnacha Walsh, James O'Donoghue etc.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

RobbieRuns wrote: »

To beat Dublin you need huge intensity and physicality for 70-75 minutes. Galway just don't have that at the moment. Tyrone might have a better chance.
    Only Mayo can match Dublin for intensity and physicality. Kerry still a bit behind.

Nice footballers won't beat Dublin. You need an edge. But also a calm head, something Mayo have lacked in recent encounters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

To beat Dublin you need huge intensity and physicality for 70-75 minutes. Galway just don't have that at the moment. Tyrone might have a better chance.
    Only Mayo can match Dublin for intensity and physicality. Kerry still a bit behind.

Nice footballers won't beat Dublin. You need an edge. But also a calm head, something Mayo have lacked in recent encounters.

As I said........... the two teams on show (Kerry and Mayo) are the teams who can face the challenge of stopping the Dubs best. The other two are in the possibly category.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Mayo-NFL-2019-champions.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Those stewarts have no cop on maye Mayo should have had Parsons inside on the bench with the subs. The second coming of Kerry is not what we have been led to beleve they are quite ordinary even after Mayo gifted them two Goals If Mayo had lost Shamie would have been savaged what a brain thing to do . Then after the match he is up in the stand kissing his partner . Great man for the limelight is our
    Shamie.

Didn't realise Bernard Flynn was on boards
    Imagine the cheek of AOS kissing his GF after winning the league, the f**king gall, I hope Horan disciplines him
    Andy is another one, with his kids on the pitch, where does he think hes off to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

The thread was overrunn with well wishers rather than trolls after a final for once

Could get used to this winning craic
    Not much love from our near neighbors though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,246 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Congratulations lads and lassies. I imagine there are a few sore heads around the county this morning. There life in the old dog yet :D.
    Tbh I don`t think James Horan or the team will be getting too carried away with winning the league as it is not what this group is about, but it is a great boost for the team and especially the supporters going into the championship with the cross of Croke Park finals off their backs.
    People will have their own opinions where this game was win, but for me it was down to a man I have often criticised in the past, A O`Shea and his mid-field partner Ruane. Yesterday both were outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Those stewarts have no cop on maye Mayo should have had Parsons inside on the bench with the subs. The second coming of Kerry is not what we have been led to beleve they are quite ordinary even after Mayo gifted them two Goals If Mayo had lost Shamie would have been savaged what a brain thing to do . Then after the match he is up in the stand kissing his partner . Great man for the limelight is our
    Shamie.

Can't let this go without commenting. Idiot

Big moment for me was when Aido got a yellow for a tussle in the middle of the field. Some Kerry guy hanging out of him on our kick-out. He was straight onto Hennelly - "down on top of me please" Up he went and plucked it, such defiance. Massive statement of intent.

Let this be the end of his best position debate. Been sensational since moving back into midfield. His pass into Carr for his goal chance was outragous, along with 3 or 4 other kick passes. His tacking is the best in the business, some of his dispossessions are incredible. What a player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Big moment for me was when Aido got a yellow for a tussle in the middle of the field. Some Kerry guy hanging out of him on our kick-out. He was straight onto Hennelly - "down on top of me please" Up he went and plucked it, such defiance. Massive statement of intent.

Let this be the end of his best position debate. Been sensational since moving back into midfield. His pass into Carr for his goal chance was outragous, along with 3 or 4 other kick passes. His tacking is the best in the business, some of his dispossessions are incredible. What a player

That pass was a thing of beauty. Was right behind it. Pity Carr couldn't have finished it, it would have been some goal. He's had a super league campaign.

I've long believed midfield is absolutely his best position too. People got carried away with the full forward stuff, but he has always been a classic midfielder and it's clearly the position he feels most comfortable in and where he can have the most influence. The partnership struck up between himself and Ruane has been the best thing about this league campaign, for me.

Watched a clip of the Treacy goal - very brave thing to do! Nearly like the kind of reckless abandon you'd see in an underage match. I think most senior coaches would be telling you to take your point. Fair play to him, ballsy enough :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

seligehgit wrote: »
    Brian Reape,Conor Loftus,Eoin O Donoghue,Jason Gibbons and Caolan Crowe all lined out for their clubs.No James Durcan either.

O Donoghue is well capable of starting come championship IMO.

Very surprised he's not in the match day squad.

I would have included Reape or Loftus ahead of Conor O Shea.The wide expanses of Croker would suit the playing style of an at the moment undercooked Conor Loftus. TBF Conor O Shea must be flying in training,so perhaps it was easy call as James Horan has emphasised the fact that his selections will be based on current form/what he's seeing in training.

Cian Hanley,Evan Regan and Ryan O Donoghue are still injured.

ATM all the young Westport lads have disappeared off the radar...Colm Moran etc.

Shane Nally appears to be out in the cold.

You forgot to add Seamie and Ger Caff to the injury list while there's one or two others in the training panel who haven't figured at all. Yet. I say yet because if Horan proved one thing at the weekend with his selection of Carr, it's never too late for anyone to make a break through.

Still though, we've the most limited panel of the top teams in the country, the same old faces year after year, no strength in depth, too many miles on the clock, over the hill etc. etc. etc. Well, according to the media anyway..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

PressRun wrote: »

Watched a clip of the Treacy goal - very brave thing to do! Fair play to him, ballsy enough :pac:

Would have been slaughtered though if he had missed. Think it was just himself who thought going for goal was the best option. Still delighted for him of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Congratulations on yesterdays win. It's not the All-Ireland but you could tell it meant an awful lot to the players to have finally won a national title.

-Aidan O'Shea was just class yesterday with a relatively minor blip for the yellow near the end.

-Ruanes emergence at midfield looks like it's killed the idea of playing Diarmuid O'Connor at midfield which is (annoyingly) a massive plus for Mayo. O'Connor is well able to do a job in the middle as a solid midfielder but he is a great forward.

Yesterday certainly makes the summer look much more interesting. Plainly winning meant more to Mayo than Kerry and it'll be interesting to see just how much it brings them on.

And also how they react to losing to Galway in Connacht again....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Anyone else think O'Shea looks a good bit lighter? I don't think he'd have gotten around the field like that last year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Anyone else think O'Shea looks a good bit lighter? I don't think he'd have gotten around the field like that last year

I thought that myself as well. He's definitely moving better.

Was thinking that, as he was sent off he lifted his top to wipe himself, serious shape, he looks to have done a lot more core work and cut down on the fat percentage. I see him in work and he looks a lot leaner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I think we should stick with the blue jersey from now on!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭MfMan

km79 wrote: »
    The thread was overrunn with well wishers rather than trolls after a final for once

Could get used to this winning craic
    Not much love from our near neighbors though ;)

I'm sure Sligo harbour you no ill will.
    As a Galway man I'm delighted. Anytime Kerry are beaten is a good time (see Corca Duibhne beaten by Naas in the colleges too on Saturday.) Mayo's win will add spice to the c'ship and Salthill, if it comes to pass, should be a great day out. It might buck up Kevin Walsh a bit too and help him see the light a bit.

MfMan wrote: »
    I'm sure Sligo harbour you no ill will.
    As a Galway man I'm delighted. Anytime Kerry are beaten is a good time (see Corca Duibhne beaten by Naas in the colleges too on Saturday.) Mayo's win will add spice to the c'ship and Salthill, if it comes to pass, should be a great day out. It might buck up Kevin Walsh a bit too and help him see the light a bit.

I know us winning a final in CP could be seen as a miracle but theres no way it could lead to this

• Advertisement

Green&Red wrote: »
    Was thinking that, as he was sent off he lifted his top to wipe himself, serious shape, he looks to have done a lot more core work and cut down on the fat percentage. I see him in work and he looks a lot leaner

A rare sighting in work! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,246 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

franklyon wrote: »
    Would have been slaughtered though if he had missed. Think it was just himself who thought going for goal was the best option. Still delighted for him of course.

James Horan`s facial expressions do not give much away doing a game, but had there been a camera on him at the time I think the expression would have been the same as any manager from u12 up in the same situation.
    The one that says "Oooh f**K he is going for goal" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭HBC08

Shamie.

Whats a "Shamie"?
    Somebody from Tuam?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

grbear wrote: »

Yesterday certainly makes the summer look much more interesting. Plainly winning meant more to Mayo than Kerry and it'll be interesting to see just how much it brings them on.

I agree with some of what you wrote. But!
    I keep reading about how it meant so so much to Mayo as if we had the monopoly on that motivation. Kerry played out of their skins yesterday. They wanted to win every bit as much as we did.
    The want or need to win had nothing to do with the score. We have beaten them twice in a week and, are a better team. That's why we won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Agreed.

Just to pop in with my big spoon.

It was a good moment for Hennelly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

grbear wrote:

Wouldn't necessarily agree. That's a good Kerry team that wanted to win, had the wakeup call recently too.

As suggested on other threads they might have an issue in the final stages of games. It could well be a factor. It was well worth testing the 2018 Kerry to the very end. Many talk about it being a fittness thing, but it might be a head issue. These new Kerry lads will have to put it to bed though.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    Wouldn't necessarily agree. That's a good Kerry team that wanted to win, had the wakeup call recently too.

As suggested on other threads they might have an issue in the final stages of games. It could well be a factor. It was well worth testing the 2018 Kerry to the very end. Many talk about it being a fittness thing, but it might be a head issue. These new Kerry lads will have to put it to bed though.

Managed to watch the game back and I definitely think a big part of it is fitness. They were huffing and puffing in the last 10, and very disorganised, like they'd run out of legs to support each other. A couple of players seemed to be standing off the tackle too. I actually felt we bullied them a little, physically, looking back on it.

O'Shea is definitely leaner, lost a good few KG's Id say. Hennelly and a few others have shed pounds as well. Great stuff form Horan and his backroom team. I thought after the frantic 20 minutes burst after half-time both teams were getting a breather for a big finish. Mayo finished full of running & Kerry tired quicker. Amazing to have the likes of Boyler & Andy to spring form the bench. Never had anything like those options previously.

It was a good moment for Hennelly too.

I've been an advocate of Hennelly for the longest time. Those booming kick-outs are required in Croke Park, end of story. He got us up the pitch countless times. Horan has instilled confidence back into his game and you can see it in his performances. I am absolutely delighted for him because you can be sure he has been to hell and back.

They will come on as they've talent coming through but if I was from Kerry I wouldn't be happy with the fact that they haven't really addressed their defensive issues... which have been there for all to see, for a few years.

They've also been losing ground on the S&C front. Mattie Ruane lifting their Diarmuid O'C off the ground by the collar towards the end (when their DO'C got his second yellow) sums that up for me. 2 new lads to both teams, in the same position but a massive gulf in strength.

The longer Buckley is there the better they will get. But tactically they have me puzzled. Started the league with a blanket and it was getting results but they seemed to move away from that as the league went on. That was mirrored in yesterday's match, we really struggled when they sat back in the first half... we were running up blind alleys from 10-25 mins... but then they let it open up in the 2nd half.

I've been an advocate of Hennelly for the longest time. Those booming kick-outs are required in Croke Park, end of story. He got us up the pitch countless times. Horan has instilled confidence back into his game and you can see it in his performances. I am absolutely delighted for him because you can be sure he has been to hell and back.

Yes indeed. I felt watching it back he looked a little nervy at the start, but he settled nicely and finished the game out strongly. He seems to have a good connection with O'Shea in the middle. He slowly seems to be regaining his confidence.
    I am of the belief that Horan favours Hennelly in goals and will pick him come championship. I think the kickouts are more important for the running game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Is it just me but id be quite happy without making a league final and all the hype an ****e that would bring etc. The target is a Connacht final win and the super 8's, i dont think a league final does anything to help that.

Well i've change my tune i can tell you. :o:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Well over all I think that was a good league from Mayo.

They got off to a good start so there was no relegation fears like previous season.

They had good away wins v Tyrone and Kerry and they beat Kerry again a few week later.
    And the home form was good.

They used plenty of new players and seem to have found some good ones too in the likes of Plunket, Ruane, and McDonagh.
    Even as late as the final Horan was introducing new players and James Carr had a great debuted on Sunday.
    The redemption of Robbie Hennely was great to see, really good to have two guys neck and neck for that jersey.
    Fergal Boland really contributed down the stretch, even though I was cursing him in the first half of the final not being too quick to fist over points when goals might have been on.

It makes a great change from relegation battles and trying to find positives in what are often bad outings.

On the flip side I think we have to look at negatives also

Could not beat Galway, could not break them down, that was depressing

Were really poor v Dublin, whether that was a game that they really did not target it's hard to know, but it would have been good to have kept the momentum going at the time.

It's also unfortunate to see the likes of Loftus not develop and make a shirt his own, and the continued lack of form from Regan

This thread swung from being in a league final after two games to not being able to beat Roscommon come summer after five, and in the end they ended up winning it, which none of us really expected.

Well done Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Congratulations mayo on a great win as a Limerick man I was thrilled for ye I'm far from a big football man but seeing as i was there I'd stay on for the football and to say I enjoyed it would be an understatement. Last August when we won the hurling it was the noise in the last few minutes that will stay with me forever if mayo ever get to win the big one i can only imagine what that noise will sound like going on yesterday. Again far from an expert but I think ye've a chance this yr. Best of luck

PARlance wrote: »
    Well there goes my theory, wasn't expecting all the elder statesmen to start but I thought we would see Keegan, Higgins and Barrett start. I think Boyle and Moran will be used as impact subs this year.

Horan got there in the end... was expecting him to start a similar team as he did in the final against Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Foireann na Sraithe rognaithe ag Sorcha Furlong,Mark Harte agus Aodan Mac Gearailt.

Cad a cheapann sibh?

1. Shane Ryan
    2. Eoghan Kerrin
    3. Jack Sherwood
    4. Keith Higgins
    5. Paddy Durcan
    6. Paul Murphy
    7. Tom O Sullivan
    8. Brian Fenton
    9. Matthew Ruane
    10. Mattie Donnelly
    11. Sean O Shea
    12. Shane Walsh
    13. Peter Harte
    14. Dean Rock
    15. Conor McManus

Nil me ro shasta!

How on earth was Aidan not selected?:confused:

Enjoyed watching the game back.

Still got the OTB podcasts and GAA hour podcasts to digest.

Diarmuid was immense for that final 20 minutes but largely peripheral to the action earlier.His goal was reminiscent of his goal against the same opposition in the 2017 semi final replay.

As stated Aidan O Shea gets so many of the plaudits and rightly so.

However Keith Higgins yet again demonstrated form is temporary but class is permanent.

He was simply immense,when the going get tough...

Doc had an off day with his freetaking but he owes us nothing.Cillian return can't come soon enough.

It was a very nervy first half for the lads with much criticism of the fact we crawled over the line.Hopefully this will hopefully prove a cathartic experience for the team.

Every loss down through the years has made it that tad harder to overcome that psychological barrier much like Sisyphus.

I did note the wind yesterday but Aodan Mac Gerailt emphasised the strength of same.So in spite of all my doom and gloom a four point deficit was surmountable.We were creating albeit failing to take our goal chances.

I was very concerned our full back line was going to be taken to the cleaners but Chris Barrett and Brendan Harrison ultimately won their battles.Ultimately James Horan trusted his men to go man on man.

I thought our transition in the first half was a tad too slow and every wide and ball dropped into the goalkeeper sucked the collective energy out of the support.Every decision that goes against you,ball rebounding off the post and goal chance missed when you are seeking an elusive national title sparks a feeling of ominous deja vu.

At half time I was disappointed Robbie Hennelly failed to collect that high ball and missed those frees but by full time I was toasting a wonderful save,his overall excellence under the high ball and distribution.Kerry definitely targeted him under the high ball.

I am so happy for the lad who has his disappointments in the past.The call for the number one jersey come championship will be interesting.As many have mentioned I think James Horan will go with him come championship on the basis of his superior distribution.

Young James Carr deserves many plaudits for kick starting the fight back in the second half.I recall the young Ardagh man scoring the goal that ultimately won us the Connacht under 21 title in 2016 against the odds.Great to see a young man show no fear and kick a score off of either foot.

His comrades we met in Gills pre match must be immensely proud.The first man to represent Mayo from this relatively new junior club living on the doorstep of the Stephenites.

Although Lee Keegan largely stifled Sean O Shea I still think he's not quite back to his best.Although his manmarking duties hinder his natural inclination to attack he's not attacking at the same pace and his radar is definitely off when it comes to taking a score.

Matthew Ruane is fulfilling all that undoubted potential he demonstrated in 2016 with the All Ireland 21 winning team.We are a bit short of cover in the middle.

For a relatively slight lad Fergal Boland has demonstrated he is well able to hold his own in the physical exchanges.His ball intelligence and distribution is very good.

Much like Aidan Kevin Mc is a great man to win a turnover.Darren Coen got on plenty of ball but much like Evan Regan his shot selection is less than optimum.

Andy Moran brought a lot of craft and guile and ability to do the seemingly simple things very well whilst the game was in the melting pot.

Fantastic that yet another wonderful servant of the green and red Boyler made such a telling contribution to us getting over the line.

Well done to young Ciaran Treacy,coolness personified in delivering the killer blow.

It was great to see what seemed all members of the extended panel celebrating the win.James Horan as one expects has created an immense collective solidarity from 1-26 and beyond.It bodes well for the future.I am optimistic we have created a significantly greater depth in the panel.Same is necessary if we enter super 8s territory.

Wonderful to see the stalwarts of this era finally get some degree of reward for their efforts,they're a credit to our county.

There really is a different feeling when you clinch a national title even if it's not the one we ultimately crave as opposed to the loneliness of Croke Park after an All Ireland loss.Yesterday was a special day but will be soon forgotten when championship comes.

I lost my mate as he headed off for celebratory pints as I set off west in splendid sunshine listening to the wonderful Ed Smith's songs of praise.

Thanks to all for the overwhelmingly congratulatory posts post our win,I'm sure the ceasefire will end come championship.

Hats off to the Kerry supporters who were very magnaminous in defeat.You guys will be back winning all Irelands although hopefully not before we win one.

David Clifford is a joy to behold in full flight,Stephen O Brien an oft unsung hero was exceptional yesterday.Sean O Shea will grace Croke Park with his brilliance many times going forward.

I thought Diarmuid's speech was very understated but hit all the pertinent points,real quality.

I do agree with the sentiment that our ability to win the big prize will come down to our ability to maximise our returns up front,we simply can't afford that level of profligacy in front of the posts.Otherwise we'll simply have to dominate possession,a difficult task against a team striving for a five in a row.Not sure if comparisons with the unsullied are valid,elite fighters that they are.Irrespective of their anatomical isssues as far as I recall greyworm got the girl.:)

So let's head straight for that front door in Connacht as per James Horan mark 1 and as Father Tod has mentioned a hopefully more favourable group in the super 8s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Probably been asked before but what happened the old jerseys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

Hearing the Mayo New York game is being moved to Yankee stadium??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

muddle84 wrote: »

Umm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

What are the going to do ?

Play it as the curtain raiser to Yankees v Twins that starts at 1.05pm that day ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Did you hear that yesterday by any chance?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement