Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

God damnit

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Call me Al wrote: »
    I agree with some of what you wrote. But!
    I keep reading about how it meant so so much to Mayo as if we had the monopoly on that motivation. Kerry played out of their skins yesterday. They wanted to win every bit as much as we did.
    The want or need to win had nothing to do with the score. We have beaten them twice in a week and, are a better team. That's why we won.

Really I should have went with "meant more to Mayo than it would have meant to Kerry."

Stating the obvious but we wouldn't have seen the same level of delight in either the Kerry players or fans if they had won on Sunday.

Good to see you didn't want to disagree with my last point. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

grbear wrote: »
    Stating the obvious but we wouldn't have seen the same level of delight in either the Kerry players or fans if they had won on Sunday.

They seemed pretty elated when they beat Dublin 2 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

grbear wrote: »
    Really I should have went with "meant more to Mayo than it would have meant to Kerry."

Good to see you didn't want to disagree with my last point. :)

Re the players? No it's not obvious at all.
    Otherwise, I don't take the bait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seligehgit wrote:
    How on earth was Aidan not selected?

It's difficult to get 8 and 9 from the same county in these teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,260 ✭✭✭✭km79

muddle84 wrote: »
    God damnit

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Stoner wrote: »
    It's difficult to get 8 and 9 from the same county in these teams

Not for Brian Howard, and he didn't even play in midfield!

*edit: Referring to 2018 Allstars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Anyone else picking their Championship team yet :(

I think Cillian in for Coen would be the only change I would make.

I think most of the team picks itself with Hennelly, Vaughan, Boland & Carr probably the one's that people would debate?

Vaughan, he's a starter in the HB line in CP for me. His running is relentless. His kicking, maybe not as spectacular.
    I may be jumping the gun but I think Carr's debut was one of the most promising from a Mayo forward in a long time. Boland a starter for me as well, just adds the something extra. Hennelly for his kick outs is a must for me.

Andy, McDonagh, Seamie, Boyle, S Coen 5 real impact subs. Quite a few others behind them that could slot in as well.

Not overly convinced by D Coen, there's talent there (some of his kick-passing was super) for sure but I would worry about decision making. A much better option than Regan in any case.

Cannot wait to see them back in CP again, if we can get there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Vaughan is a dodgy one. He's a great direct runner, but his kicking can be horrific and he can be responsible for some horrible wides too. That all said, I think Horan will pick him because of that running power and he's a great man for dragging opposition players out of position.
    Seamie might be spending most of the year on the bench? I don't see Ruane losing his place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Anyone know what's the story with Cian Hanley. I know he is injured but I've heard nothing for a long time. He was outstanding as a young player and might still be able to make a big contribution later this year.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Panrich wrote: »
    Anyone know what's the story with Cian Hanley. I know he is injured but I've heard nothing for a long time. He was outstanding as a young player and might still be able to make a big contribution later this year.

He was there Sunday in the Mayo gear. One of our board members mistook him for Jason Doherty.... wont say which member ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

With the Super 8's there will be plenty rotation I think. A bench containing Andy, Boyler, Seamie, Parsons and plenty of youth is enough to get the juices flowing come August

With the Super 8's there will be plenty rotation I think. A bench containing Andy, Boyler, Seamie, Parsons and plenty of youth is enough to get the juices flowing come August

Will Parsons be back this season?

In Cian Hanleys interview on off the ball he said that he can't train three times a week and play at the weekend. His body just can't take it, but he is hoping the surgery will resolve that issue.

If he can't train then i can't see him breaking into a team where competition for places is growing rapidly. If the operation sorts his problems out then who knows.

I heard Tom Parsons is hoping to be ready for start of championship, but I don't know the source of that. Apparently it was in an interview?

I heard Tom Parsons is hoping to be ready for start of championship, but I don't know the source of that. Apparently it was in an interview?

That would be an incredible recovery, given the damage that was done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

In Cian Hanleys interview on off the ball he said that he can't train three times a week and play at the weekend. His body just can't take it, but he is hoping the surgery will resolve that issue.

If he can't train then i can't see him breaking into a team where competition for places is growing rapidly. If the operation sorts his problems out then who knows.

I think it was more a case of Hanley saying his training has to be tailored to suit him to prevent further injury, something that didn't happen under Rochford. Horan is a big Cian Hanley fan. He has mentioned his name everytime he talks of players to come back

I didn't see it myself but apparently there was a video doing the rounds of him doing some very intensive training a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Thoughts on a championship team...

Hennelly
    Barrett, Harrison, Higgins
    Keegan, Plunkett, Durkan
    A O'Shea, Ruane
    Boland, C O'Connor, D O'Connor
    McLoughlin, D Coen, Carr

That leaves a bench of:-
    Clarke, Boyle, Vaughan, Drake, S Coen, S O'Shea, Doherty, McDonagh, Moran, plus others

Start Plunkett and D Coen, let them grow into the championship, if they don't blossom, there's good options to replace them.
    Also thinking we need midfield options on the bench in the summer, so keeping Donie fresh to bring on, with Seamie and Coen as other possible midfielders would be a plus. Donie and Coen also provide defensive cover with Boyler, and Doherty, Moran and McDonagh is a very strong attacking bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 centralchill

Hennelly
    Keegan, Plunkett, Durkan
    A O'Shea, Ruane
    McLoughlin, D Coen, Carr

Clarke, Boyle, Vaughan, Drake, S Coen, S O'Shea, Doherty, McDonagh, Moran, plus others

Start Plunkett and D Coen, let them grow into the championship, if they don't blossom, there's good options to replace them.
    Also thinking we need midfield options on the bench in the summer, so keeping Donie fresh to bring on, with Seamie and Coen as other possible midfielders would be a plus. Donie and Coen also provide defensive cover with Boyler, and Doherty, Moran and McDonagh is a very strong attacking bench.

Jason Doherty instead of Boland or Carr. Jason Doherty been one of the more consistent players all throughout the league this season. Missed some soft frees, but still deserves the start i reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Hennelly
    Keegan, Plunkett, Durkan
    A O'Shea, Ruane
    McLoughlin, D Coen, Carr

I'd have McDonagh as a starter instead of Boland. A tough call to be sure but he's a very direct runner and great physical drive about him. They might rotate to suit opponents. I'd say Carr will be vying with Doherty for a start. Cillian might end up in the corner with Jason to CHF.

• Advertisement

I don't know how you could pick a team without Doherty in it.

(Are you Mick McCarthy)

I would agree with starting Plunket and D Coen early in the Championship to see how they progress.

Doherty would be the first on my team sheet every time. The final wasn't his best day for frees, but he is one of our best ball winners and tacklers. He's got brawn and brains. I know I've said here before that I'm a huge fan of his. I really don't think we would get too far without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

PARlance wrote: »
    I don't know how you could pick a team without Doherty in it.

(Are you Mick McCarthy)

I would agree with starting Plunket and D Coen early in the Championship to see how they progress.

Maybe go with that team for New York game. But for the likes of Galway/Roscommon - can take the chance of starting Coen ahead of either McDonagh or Doherty. If they lost, the knives would be out all over the county (bar Hollymount).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

I knew putting Jason on the bench would be controversial.
    Ordinarily, I would have been of the mind of starting him, and depending how others show in the early rounds, New York and Ros, he could easily make it back in.
    My thinking (and it's only an initial post-league thought), is that in the past, we've suffered from the bench being a significant step down from the starting 15. When you look at what Dublin bring off the bench, it can scare you. We've found some exciting young talent in the league, if they got experience of championship and prove their worth, then the boost of being able to bring on scoring players of the level of Andy or Jason is huge.

Jason Doherty instead of Boland or Carr. Jason Doherty been one of the more consistent players all throughout the league this season. Missed some soft frees, but still deserves the start i reckon?

I would nearly go as far to say one of the most consistent players over the last 5 years if not more!

I would nearly go as far to say one of the most consistent players over the last 5 years if not more!

Insanity to be thinking of not starting him
    Second person I seen suggesting it today as well
    Just because we have a few extra options now doesn't mean we go dropping all our best players to "finish strong"
    Andy yes
    Boyle yes
    Jason doc NO

I knew putting Jason on the bench would be controversial.
    Ordinarily, I would have been of the mind of starting him, and depending how others show in the early rounds, New York and Ros, he could easily make it back in.
    My thinking (and it's only an initial post-league thought), is that in the past, we've suffered from the bench being a significant step down from the starting 15. When you look at what Dublin bring off the bench, it can scare you. We've found some exciting young talent in the league, if they got experience of championship and prove their worth, then the boost of being able to bring on scoring players of the level of Andy or Jason is huge.

Based on the league performance i don't think its fair to right off Leitrim. But assuming we beat New York and IF Roscommon beat Leitrim. Then the likes of Doherty is who we need starting the game. He is nowhere near an impact sub in my opinion. The role he plays is vital to get a good start in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Hennelly
    Keegan, Plunkett, Durkan
    A O'Shea, Ruane
    McLoughlin, D Coen, Carr

Are you lacking physical presence down the centre of the attack if you play AOS at midfield? There's a reason he has generally been played in the forwards up to now...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Doherty as a definite, McDonagh as a toss up with Carr.

Cillian is gonna have his work cut out, I know his free taking ability etc, but the pace of our team has upped and the contribution from the guys, whom there were many, in the league cannot be ignored.
    I wouldn't see him in there as an immediate starter at the present moment in time.

Diskin and Tracey have done no wrong either.

Possibly the biggest spread of options we have had in many a year. Injury and form etc will come into it. But there are very few nailed on starters now in the 15.

yop wrote: »
    Doherty as a definite, McDonagh as a toss up with Carr.

Cillian is gonna have his work cut out, I know his free taking ability etc
    , but the pace of our team has upped and the contribution from the guys, whom there were many, in the league cannot be ignored.
    I wouldn't see him in there as an immediate starter at the present moment in time.

Diskin and Tracey have done no wrong either.

Possibly the biggest spread of options we have had in many a year. Injury and form etc will come into it. But there are very few nailed on starters now in the 15.

I get your point on the pace, but I think he will start even if it's just for his free taking alone. Every team needs a reliable free taker and without him, we don't have one.

For what it's worth, I think he offers us more than that and close to goal can do plenty of damage.

• Advertisement

Now no Cillian either
    Stop
    Ye are losing the run of yere selves now

In that team Sunday he will replace Darren Coen. Nobody is going to even try and convince me he isn’t a better option that him
    Come on now
    He could also play CF

Either way he he damn well starting !!!!!

This reminds me last year of calls for Aidan o Shea to be an impact sub as it would be better for him to finish the game than start it
    Time to calm down people !

I don't think you need to worry, km, Cillian will start!

The Ballintubber boys are out in force ;)

I'm sure he will start, but he shouldn't be thinking he is a certain starter. If someone told you last year that the likes of Boyle, Keegan weren't going to be starting our games would you have accepted that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

km79 wrote:
    This reminds me last year of calls for Aidan o Shea to be an impact sub as it would be better for him to finish the game than start it Time to calm down people !

That was a valid point.

He finished the game very well on Sunday. He'd his man in his pocket for the whole second half.

If he's worked on his S&C and is carrying around a smaller frame then so be it.

But he's been quiet or subbed in some very important championship games in the past when the game was in the melting pot.

Technically he did finish the game on Sunday either ;)

Kerry's Moran in championship condition will present a different challenge too.

yop wrote: »
    The Ballintubber boys are out in force ;)

I'm sure he will start, but he shouldn't be thinking he is a certain starter. If someone told you last year that the likes of Boyle, Keegan weren't going to be starting our games would you have accepted that?
    Boyle absolutely
    Keegan no
    And that remains the same

I am not from Ballintibber either LOL

I may be willing to reopen the goalkeeper debate i closed at Half time on Sunday though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Carr could well keep his place come championship if he's travelling well in training and for club. It's vitally important that we continue to trust these young guys and intergrate them into the starting 15.Doherty, COC,DOC and Kev Mc are all but guaranteed there place in the starting 15. Presuming O'Shea and Ruane start in the middle(which they 100% should) and Andy starts on the bench that leaves 2 spots between Mcdonagh, Carr, Boland and Coen. It's been some league to promote competition within the squad, winning it was the icing on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

The calls to drop doherty are just a knee jerk reaction to a quiet game. It is worth remembering he was being marked by paul murphy, who is a quality footballer.
    It is also worth remembering that murphy was probably put on him because of the damage he caused kerry in the past. I recall the 2016 draw game with dublin, where doherty done so much damage around the breaks that for the replay dublin had switched mccarthy over to mark him. Incidentally, the whole episode was missed entirely by all sunday game pundits, which only highlights their lack of real analysis.

We are bad for these knee jerk reactions as a group of fans. One quiet game these days and guys are written off. Doherty is a really smart footballer and we are a better outfit with him in the side. Watch the ruane goal, he is cute to realise two kerry men are going up, he stays down, wins it and instantly moves it on creating the overlap. Id leave him at 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

did anyone notice that for kerrys goal, david clifford (i think) double hopped the ball? hard spot in real time, but watching it back its fairly obvious. doesnt matter now, but if we lost it would be a sore subject...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

PARlance wrote: »
    Anyone else picking their Championship team yet :(

I think Cillian in for Coen would be the only change I would make.

I think most of the team picks itself with Hennelly, Vaughan, Boland & Carr probably the one's that people would debate?

Vaughan, he's a starter in the HB line in CP for me. His running is relentless. His kicking, maybe not as spectacular.
    I may be jumping the gun but I think Carr's debut was one of the most promising from a Mayo forward in a long time. Boland a starter for me as well, just adds the something extra. Hennelly for his kick outs is a must for me.

Andy, McDonagh, Seamie, Boyle, S Coen 5 real impact subs. Quite a few others behind them that could slot in as well.

Not overly convinced by D Coen, there's talent there (some of his kick-passing was super) for sure but I would worry about decision making. A much better option than Regan in any case.

Cannot wait to see them back in CP again, if we can get there...

For me the bigger calls for James Horan is whom he culls from the extended squad when he comes to selecting his championship squad?

The emphasis should be on giving the youthful prospects the nod.

The Eoin O Donoghue's,Michael Plunkett,Fionn McDonagh and James Carr can all have valid claims to start in the early stages of the championship.Very excited about the options James McCormack and Ciaran Treacy will possibly offer,

Throw in Hanley if fit,Tom Parsons,Seamus O Shea,Conor Diskin.

Agreed Andy,Boyler are impact substitutes IMO.Hard call to make on Fionn or Fergal to start.Can't see Stephen Coen starting.Darren Coen definitely offers more off the bench than Evan Regan.Disappointing that as yet Conor Loftus has not convincingly put himself into the mix.

Ryan O Donoghue it appears will have to be content with waiting for another year at this stage?

Here is the full listing in Sunday's programme of players used throughout the league plus the number of appearances pre final.A great spread.

Chris Barrett 4
    Fergal Boland 4
    Colm Boyle 4
    Ger Cafferkey 2
    James Carr 1
    David Clarke 3
    Darren Coen 2
    Stephen Coen 7
    Conor Diskin 3
    Jason Doherty 7
    David Drake 3
    James Durcan 2
    Jason Gibbons 1
    Brendan Harrison 6
    Robert Hennelly 5
    Keith Higgins 6
    Lee Keegan 6
    Conor Loftus 1
    James McCormack 4
    Fionn McDonagh 6
    Kevin McLoughlin 6
    Andy Moran 6
    Colm Moran 1
    Diarmuid O Connor 6
    Eoin O Donoghue 2
    Aidan O Shea 7
    Seamus O Shea 1
    Michael Plunkett 3
    Brian Reape 6
    Evan Regan 2
    Matthew Ruane 6
    Ciaran Treacy 4
    Donal Vaughan 7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Squatman wrote: »
    did anyone notice that for kerrys goal, david clifford (i think) double hopped the ball? hard spot in real time, but watching it back its fairly obvious. doesnt matter now, but if we lost it would be a sore subject...

To be fair it wasn’t quite a hop, I think he managed to toe tap it back up to himself in what was actually quite a clever and skillful movement.

seligehgit wrote: »
    For me the bigger calls for James Horan is whom he culls from the extended squad when he comes to selecting his championship squad?

The emphasis should be on giving the youthful prospects the nod.

The Eoin O Donoghue's,Michael Plunkett,Fionn McDonagh and James Carr can all have valid claims to start in the early stages of the championship.Very excited about the options James McCormack and Ciaran Treacy will possibly offer,

Throw in Hanley if fit,Tom Parsons,Seamus O Shea,Conor Diskin.

Agreed Andy,Boyler are impact substitutes IMO.Hard call to make on Fionn or Fergal to start.Can't see Stephen Coen starting.Darren Coen definitely offers more off the bench than Evan Regan.Disappointing that as yet Conor Loftus has not convincingly put himself into the mix.

Ryan O Donoghue it appears will have to be content with waiting for another year at this stage?

Here is the full listing in Sunday's programme of players used throughout the league plus the number of appearances pre final.A great spread.

Chris Barrett 4
    Fergal Boland 4
    Colm Boyle 4
    Ger Cafferkey 2
    James Carr 1
    David Clarke 3
    Darren Coen 2
    Stephen Coen 7
    Conor Diskin 3
    Jason Doherty 7
    David Drake 3
    James Durcan 2
    Jason Gibbons 1
    Brendan Harrison 6
    Robert Hennelly 5
    Keith Higgins 6
    Lee Keegan 6
    Conor Loftus 1
    James McCormack 4
    Fionn McDonagh 6
    Kevin McLoughlin 6
    Andy Moran 6
    Colm Moran 1
    Diarmuid O Connor 6
    Eoin O Donoghue 2
    Aidan O Shea 7
    Seamus O Shea 1
    Michael Plunkett 3
    Brian Reape 6
    Evan Regan 2
    Matthew Ruane 6
    Ciaran Treacy 4
    Donal Vaughan 7

What’s the deal with Ryan O’Donoghue?

Squatman wrote: »

Is that definately a double hop? He drops it to the ground, then toe pokes it back up and fists it on. Hard to say. You would need to know the exact wording of the rule to know for sure.

What I noticed was the amount of steps obrien took for the other goal. It is up around 10+. We have gotten a few scores like that ourselves in the past but it is definitely something the refs need to crack down on I feel, especially for goal chances like that which could potentially decide a game.

Conor loftus is a goner imo
    He just doesn't seem to rate him
    And let's be honest about it he can be have many complaints from his performances last 12 months
    I'd still have him over evan Regan though !
    James durkan also under serious pressure

Blackjack wrote: »
    To be fair it wasn’t quite a hop, I think he managed to toe tap it back up to himself in what was actually quite a clever and skillful movement.

It was discussed on the GAA hour and although he handpassed it off,it would definitely be considered a double hop.

• Advertisement

Blackjack wrote: »
    What’s the deal with Ryan O’Donoghue?

Last reported in mid February he was recuperating post surgery.

seligehgit wrote: »
    It was discussed on the GAA hour and although he handpassed it off,it would definitely be considered a double hop.

I heard that too but Im not convinced they are right. They hadnt checked it up, it was cian ward (generally a sharp analyst in fairness) saying ya that is a double hop.

I heard that too but Im not convinced they are right. They hadnt checked it up, it was cian ward (generally a sharp analyst in fairness) saying ya that is a double hop.

A bit of a debate on twitter suggests that as he didn’t catch it the second time but hand passed it away (and without catching it) means it falls within the rules.

He’s a classy player the same lad.

My understanding is that if you lose control, it's not a double hop.

Liam McHale was a man for them iirc.

Hearing the Mayo New York game is being moved to Yankee stadium??

There's an article in Monday's Western People reporting that the game is set to be moved to Yankee stadium.

Same article states that Garth Brooks may be providing the half time entertainment.

Aidan's rendition of "The River"made a big impression.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement