Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭wetoutside19

That's awful rubbish. Serial bottlers?? How many all-Irelands have they gotten to in the past 8 years - FOUR. That’s not bottlers. They came down to the top 2 in Ireland in half of the last 8 years.

What have Armagh and Meath achieved over the years!! It was over 20 years ago since Meath won the All-Ireland, and have only been in the All-Ireland once since that victory. You’re just spouting guff without any thought behind it.
    Free-speech. Drunk-tweeting about getting rid of the manager, from someone who was on about professionalism. That’s nothing to do with Yes men or No men. It’s creating negative aura around the Mayo team, so answer is to just cut that individual away from the focal point.

You missed my point, let me spell it out

Meath were a dominating force in the late 80s / 90s. Armagh similar in the early 00s. Same can be said about us in the 10s. Where are these two now? That’s my point, I fear we will follow their path once as the current crop of players continue to drop of.

And my ultimate point is whats the difference between the 3 counties? Armagh and Meath have silverware to look back on, what have we got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

You missed my point, let me spell it out

Meath were a dominating force in the late 80s / 90s. Armagh similar in the early 00s. Same can be said about us in the 10s. Where are these two now? That’s my point, I fear we will follow their path once as the current crop of players continue to drop of.

And my ultimate point is whats the difference between the 3 counties? Armagh and Meath have silverware to look back on, what have we got?

A decade of wonderful memories and road trips

Green&Red wrote: »
    The stench of Scrooge and unhappiness in this thread.

Have ye not heard the concept of a remote control or is the goal to watch something you don’t like so ye can be miserable and give out to it to a pile of strangers in the internet?

really weird behaviour, no wonder the place is a negative cesspit

Irony was a great invention wasn't it?

Did you learn the definition of irony from alias morissette‘s song as like her I don’t think you understand the meaning

Are you really comparing watching the late late show to following your county?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Are you really comparing watching the late late show to following your county?

In fairness, you dont sound much like a supporter of either!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

km79 wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more.

Wouldn't swap with a single county in the country over the last ten years, including ones more successful. They've given us more entertainment than anyone.

My heart breaks for the team not having a win given the work and commitment they've put in. Seeing 'fans' bitter about it for selfish reasons only illustrates they were never really fans to me. Memories of the sideline abuse Ciarán, or more recently Aidan, have to put up with from 'fans'.

The players, lads and ladies, have been incredible for years. They owe me nothing. The least I can give them is my support as they entertain the hell out of me. The odd off day is the nature of the beast, not something to attack them over. That's when they need supporters getting behind the team more, not apparently drunken tweets calling for heads to role causing media storms distracting from the real issues and the solutions required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

You certainly can't question the Mayo players commitment over past decade, same with Donegal. Both teams have achieved an incredible amount of success despite not having the continous conveyor belt of talent coming through that Kerry have or the money and investment Dublin have.

Cork and Galway have had massive success at underage since 2010 yet nowhere near Mayo or Donegal's success at senior intercounty between 2011 and 2019.

Mayo teams that reached all those all ireland finals basically came from 2006 and 2009 under 21 sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

TsuDhoNimh wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more.

Wouldn't swap with a single county in the country over the last ten years, including ones more successful. They've given us more entertainment than anyone.

My heart breaks for the team not having a win given the work and commitment they've put in. Seeing 'fans' bitter about it for selfish reasons only illustrates they were never really fans to me. Memories of the sideline abuse Ciarán, or more recently Aidan, have to put up with from 'fans'.

The players, lads and ladies, have been incredible for years. They owe me nothing. The least I can give them is my support as they entertain the hell out of me. The odd off day is the nature of the beast, not something to attack them over. That's when they need supporters getting behind the team more, not apparently drunken tweets calling for heads to role causing media storms distracting from the real issues and the solutions required.

Great synopsis. We are so blessed. To have so many quality moments that we experienced. Qualifers down to the wire. Heading home from many quarter finals and semi-finals with that feel-good factor. You can't beat it. I can't believe how some "supporters:confused::eek::eek:" can say that the team effort is a disgrace, and insulting fans. What an attitude. They are not paid sportsmen that owe anything to Mayo people. They are amateurs doing what they like doing. If they come up short, it's not for you to judge or critisize.

Just watching weekends highlights
    Dublin also being opened up time and again
    I’m slightly less depressed now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

It’s way too early to be judging any team....end of Feb with the worst weather conditions we’ve witnessed for yrs. Everthing will even itself out..Mayo will improve and them Galway fellas will get found out!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Any news on Ruane, Doherty or Cillian?

Saw a video on social media of Cillian practicing frees in McHale park a few days ago.

Saw a video on social media of Cillian practicing frees in McHale park a few days ago.

Doc is a long way off yet
    Ruane start of May I think
    Cillian prob be on bench Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Cillian may be back Saturday night. Check out this week's Mayo News Podcast.

Very close.

Matthew Ruane is unlikely to be back post surgery until the championship.

Doc rehabbing well.Unsure re a timeline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Well lads. First visit to Castlebar this Saturday. What pubs are near the stadium and any recommendations for a few pints of Guinness in town after?

dobman88 wrote: »
    Well lads. First visit to Castlebar this Saturday. What pubs are near the stadium and any recommendations for a few pints of Guinness in town after?
    McHale park not too long a walk from the centre of town, so pretty free on the choice for pre match scoops. Hog's Heaven beside the cinema probably the closest if you want to stay close pre match.

Been a while since I drank Guinness in town. I'd imagine Johnny McHale's would still do a decent pint, but I'm open to correction there. One of the longer standing pubs in town, so probably worth a visit for that alone. Close to Linnenhall Street, so easy enough to swing into plenty of other options after to find a good fit if needed.

Cead mile failte romhat.:)

Johnny Mc Hale's reportedly has the finest pint of guinness in the town.Not a partaker of that particular poison myself.:)

Mick Byrnes pub is the well known gaaaaaah pub in the town if you wish to be regaled with stories of heroic deeds on the football field.

Some of our finest gaelic football scribes including the legendary Sean Rice pass through.

• Advertisement

Thanks lads. Tis only myself and brother travelling for the night so those pubs sound ideal for a pint and a chat. Thanks very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Have to second Johnny McHale's for a pint. It's a nice spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Thanks lads. Tis only myself and brother travelling for the night so those pubs sound ideal for a pint and a chat. Thanks very much

Johnnys is a nice spot but head to Mick Byrnes for the GAA chat,he loves having fans from other counties in .Bridge St is certainly worth a visit and all those pubs mentioned are within 2 min walk of eachother.
    There's only Hogs beside the ground but as others have said the town centre is only 10 mins walk from MacHale Park.
    Enjoy yer trip to Cbar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Johnny McHales is the best for Guinness in my opinion! Rocky's is a nice pub too and usually has music on, although I haven't been to Rocky's in a while!

Enjoy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There is a late bar called Cox's just down the street from Johnny McHale's.

Owned by one of your own crowd, well it was anyway, not sure if it still is.

• Advertisement

There is a late bar called Cox's just down the street from Johnny McHale's.

Owned by one of your own crowd, well it was anyway, not sure if it still is.

Hopefully I wont see a late bar. I've the best of intentions to get up Croagh Patrick on Sunday morning and scratch it off the list before heading home :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Hopefully I wont see a late bar. I've the best of intentions to get up Croagh Patrick on Sunday morning and scratch it off the list before heading home :pac:

Intentions might be good, but I'd say the weather has other ideas this weekend, ya'll most likely not see the top of the reek!

mayo.mick wrote: »
    Intentions might be good, but I'd say the weather has other ideas this weekend, ya'll most likely not see the top of the reek!

Ah yeah, wouldnt be that silly to try it for my first time there unless its fairly decent. Thought the :pac: symbol covered that

Ah yeah, wouldnt be that silly to try it for my first time there unless its fairly decent. Thought the :pac: symbol covered that

As a truly unbiased Mayo man lol one has to climb this most iconic of natural wonders of the world at some point in time.

I passed it on my way home from work this evening and there is a nice covering of snow from the summit down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

Unfortunately, there is not a section for either of those in the record books though.

BandMember wrote: »
    Unfortunately, there is not a section for either of those in the record books though.

Double checks records books to make sure Connacht 5 in a row is still there
    Yep still there
    League title last year
    Yep still there

And then there is the underage successes
    Yep still there

Along with the memories , road trips and new friendships made

We are happy enough . Thanks for the concern

We are happy enough

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

Guys/Girls whats the story with Cian Hanley i know he was fairly rusty when he first came back but i would have expected him to be making the team by now. I heard he went to the US last summer but he doesnt seem to be involved this year? His own decision or not cutting it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Tolsters is pretty close to the pitch, less than a 10 min walk. A good place for a pre match pint I think and on the more "natural way" of walking from main street to McHale Park I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rrs

I see on gaa transfers.ie Ian Costello of Hollymount has transferred to a club in Cavan, Killygarry. Plays as a forward, what's he like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Guys/Girls whats the story with Cian Hanley i know he was fairly rusty when he first came back but i would have expected him to be making the team by now. I heard he went to the US last summer but he doesnt seem to be involved this year? His own decision or not cutting it?

Went to Australia earlier this week for a month's holiday I heard.

seligehgit wrote: »
    As a truly unbiased Mayo man lol one has to climb this most iconic of natural wonders of the world at some point in time.

I passed it on my way home from work this evening and there is a nice covering of snow from the summit down.

Seems I'll have to make another trip for this. Woukdnt fancy it this weekend if weather warnings are to be believed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Seems I'll have to make another trip for this. Woukdnt fancy it this weekend if weather warnings are to be believed

You'd be correct, not worth it in that weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

The way things are looking this is gonna be played in a gale. Not exactly what we need.

Listened to James Horan interview on the Mayo News Podcast. Alot of talk of developing and growing. He is delighted with his back-room team, says they are a 'new level' . Fionn will be back soon and is pushing hard. Liam Irwin still involved. He has had alot of issues with hamstring injuries so they are getting him conditioned for inter-county life, good to hear. Gary Boylan has been released after bringing in 4 of the U-20's. Also mentioned that he is pretty confident Oisin Mullin will be with Mayo for the 2020 championship. Worrying news for Mayo beyond that I would have thought

The way things are looking this is gonna be played in a gale. Not exactly what we need.

Listened to James Horan interview on the Mayo News Podcast. Alot of talk of developing and growing. He is delighted with his back-room team, says they are a 'new level' . Fionn will be back soon and is pushing hard. Liam Irwin still involved. He has had alot of issues with hamstring injuries so they are getting him conditioned for inter-county life, good to hear. Gary Boylan has been released after bringing in 4 of the U-20's. Also mentioned that he is pretty confident Oisin Mullin will be with Mayo for the 2020 championship. Worrying news for Mayo beyond that I would have thought

I also found the Mullin comment worrrying

Given the state of our league form I expect to see mcdonagh on the bench this weekend

I see "Tim" is firing bundles of cash outta the pram in every direction...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

mayo.mick wrote: »
    I see "Tim" is firing bundles of cash outta the pram in every direction...

He has closed the foundation.
    Wonder did he send the 250k on

Big chance this game will be called off

• Advertisement

naughto wrote: »

Yeah I wonder

Pitch in a bad way or the weather forecast?

Pitch in a bad way or the weather forecast?

Weather warnings in place some committee meetings aswell tomorrow

Weather warnings in place some committee meetings aswell tomorrow

Thanks naughto.

Status yellow rainfall warning coming into effect tonight lasting until Saturday night.

20-30 mm of rain.

Saturday's rain in conjunction with Storm Jorge.

Status orange wind warning coming into effect on Saturday morning.Wind gusts up to 130 km/hr.

Can't see the game going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Tim has been flat out with the cheque book today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Thanks naughto.

Status yellow rainfall warning coming into effect tonight lasting until Saturday night.

20-30 mm of rain.

Saturday's rain in conjunction with Storm Jorge.

Status orange wind warning coming into effect on Saturday morning.Wind gusts up to 130 km/hr.

Can't see the game going ahead.

Would they move it to Sunday I wonder. I'm due up tomorrow and travelling up the western sea board tomorrow morning probably ain't the wisest idea!

• Advertisement

“ Storm watch -- Potential is growing for a severe windstorm in western counties generally on Saturday from about 0600h to late in the day. Southwest veering to westerly winds may be as strong as 100 to 140 km/hr at the peak of the storm (some guidance even suggests stronger gusts) and while an orange alert is already in place things appear to be headed more for the red alert category”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Its better used there than this county board. Fair play to him.

What? I thought O'Leary's crusade to get Moffatt in as chairman was the new dawn for this county board? What did he call it himself "one of the most important days in Mayo GAA History" I said it at the time when everybody was proclaiming Tim as the saviour, his campaign to run Seamus Tuohy out of the job was a disgrace and under-handed. Let's not forget this is why he set-up his twitter weeks in advance of the convention and deleted all tweets after Moffatt got in. O'Leary has plenty minions on twitter as well...same few crawl out of the woodwork every time he has something to say (I wonder why this is $$$$$$)

I salute Liam Moffatt. He has only been in the job a few months and he resolved the dispute and stopped the legal proceedings which were issued against Mayo GAA from there biggest 'supporter'. Now he has successfully removed this 'supporter' after he used his position on twitter to slate the manager. Mayo GAA was around along time before Tim rode in in 2017 with buckets of cash. Good riddance I say.

And these monies he is distributing everywhere were they not donated to him in the name of Mayo GAA?

BPKS wrote: »
    Would they move it to Sunday I wonder. I'm due up tomorrow and travelling up the western sea board tomorrow morning probably ain't the wisest idea!
    Hard to know what might happen. With weather this unsettled there's a lot of unpredictability in the models. Depending on the next few hours it's either going to downgrade to a low Orange (more unlikely) or if a weird move all the models are predicting happens it'll be upgraded to Red in Mayo.

Worth keeping an eye on the boards weather folk...
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058057503/1

If it goes Red for Saturday (most likely outcome from current models) I'd expect a longer delay than to Sunday. Too hard for them to accurately predict what game and travelling conditions Sunday might be like for now.

There are of course no games fixed for the weekend after

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement