Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Imagine starting an account to post that drivel
    And what’s worse is one person has thanked it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MayoMick19

Almost as bad as saying O'Leary wanted to drive the team bus, take coaching sessions and do the the half time team talk! Given past performance, I guess he is supping pints on match day like the rest of us.
    Reality is noone will ever know the whole story. the loser in all of this are kids of mayo as the academy will be delayed given mayos financial position.
    Given the public fallout, it is also unlikely anyone will rush to fill the void in funding. what a disaster

MayoMick19 wrote: »
    Almost as bad as saying O'Leary wanted to drive the team bus, take coaching sessions and do the the half time team talk! Given past performance, I guess he is supping pints on match day like the rest of us.
    Reality is noone will ever know the whole story. the loser in all of this are kids of mayo as the academy will be delayed given mayos financial position.
    Given the public fallout, it is also unlikely anyone will rush to fill the void in funding. what a disaster

Hi Tim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

seligehgit wrote: »
    I'm unconvinced Darren Coen has the level of consistency required at the highest level. He's blows very hot and cold in terms of his performance levels match on match.

ATM I do not believe Stephen Coen offers the team enough to justify a starting place.

This is so true. He just gets the ball and moves it to the side. He lacks pace to beat his man and I think he is really lucky to be getting so much game time. He does not offer enough of a threat when he is on the ball and that is his biggest issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

This is so true. He just gets the ball and moves it to the side. He lacks pace to beat his man and I think he is really lucky to be getting so much game time. He does not offer enough of a threat when he is on the ball and that is his biggest issue.

Seems to lack confidence or panics a bit. Very evident (in the Meath game I think). He got the ball and called a mark. He was only about 30 yards from goal. But it was like it suddenly dawned on him "shlt, what do I do now". He had to take a shot on goal, but he just kicked it tamely into one of the defenders. I know he already has great experience - captain of underage teams at All-Ireland level, but it just likes the occasion gets the better of him at senior inter-county.

MayoMick19 wrote: »
    Given the public fallout, it is also unlikely anyone will rush to fill the void in funding.
    km79 wrote: »
    one person has thanked it

That was a mistake, but he does make a very valid point.

Do i care if he hurt the feelings of the county board, No. Do i want to see the team and future teams funded to an adequate level, Yes. Well it appears the county board and its supporters won out. They will be the same hypocrites that will be complaining about the lack of facilities and funding/no silverware. There isn't a queue of sponsors lining up to throw money at Mayo. Some need to come down off their pedestals.

That was a mistake, but he does make a very valid point.

Do i care if he hurt the feelings of the county board, No. Do i want to see the team and future teams funded to an adequate level, Yes. Well it appears the county board and its supporters won out. They will be the same hypocrites that will be complaining about the lack of facilities and funding/no silverware. There isn't a queue of sponsors lining up to throw money at Mayo. Some need to come down off their pedestals.

That's true from the financial side that he did provide. He was right to raise concerns about accountability of the financial spending but he is damaging the Mayo brand and not conducting himself in a proper manner. When I say proper manner, he should not be issuing all these public statements and work with the county board to bring about change, especially with the new guys in situ.

The Horan statement from him was out of order and I can see why they want him out of the equation. I would too as I would never be certain on when he might through his toys out of the pram. TBH, he made himself look really foolish.

The Horan statement from him was out of order and I can see why they want him out of the equation. I would too as I would never be certain on when he might through his toys out of the pram. TBH, he made himself look really foolish.
    True, he did apologise and i'm sure it could of been sorted behind closed doors if the county board wanted to. However it appears the County board were delighted to have the excuse to be rid of him, unfortunately his money has gone with him.

We all have to put up with crap in our jobs, the county board just some across as a group who can't be questioned or challenged. Their priority should be Mayo GAA, they appear to have lost sight of that and made themselves the priority. For that Mayo GAA will suffer in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Might be old news to some on here but I see Mullins could be off to Oz according to The Connaught Telegraph fbook page, saying he's off for a 2 week trial next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

PARlance wrote: »
    Might be old news to some on here but I see Mullins could be off to Oz according to The Connaught Telegraph fbook page, saying he's off for a 2 week trial next month.

He'd be a terrible loss.

An outstanding prospect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

seligehgit wrote: »
    He'd be a terrible loss.

An outstanding prospect.

Its reported in the independent as well.

Surely the county board can swing a job?

finisklin wrote: »

Or as the Kerry county board rightfully did, invent paid positions for them to train youths throughout the country.
    Funding would be useful for that :confused:. Now does anybody know someone willing to throw 1 million + at Mayo Gaa.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

finisklin wrote: »

The county board might not be able too but i am sure Tim might have been able sort him out with something had he not got the boot.

Joking aside even if they can its always down to the young fella, Moving to Oz to play pro football is always going to be a pull for young lads. McShane was different as he was never going to make it over there he was too old to be going out. Ruane would be same as McShane in my opinion.
    What sort of job could you offer him with a long term safe future for him? He would have no qualifications to get anything big. If he went to oz and after two years it didnt work out hes still plenty young enough come home and go to college

Padraig O Hora is still flying it in that Special Forces Ultimate Hell Week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

km79 wrote: »

I wonder would he be tempted back. We can't tackle at all since he left.

I wonder .......

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

I'll drive him up and down to training myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It was Horan who first brought Buckley to Mayo, and Buckley has not been involved since Horan came back so maybe they will reunite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Wonder what the reasoning is behind this.

• Advertisement

It was Horan who first brought Buckley to Mayo, and Buckley has not been involved since Horan came back so maybe they will reunite.

It's probably wishful thinking, but it would be great to get him back. I think his absence has been felt.

Great win for St. Gerald's today winning the Connacht Post Primary A final.

St. Gerald's College Castlebar 1-13
    Summerville Sligo 0-10

PressRun wrote: »

It's probably he has some personal issue that he needs to leave or else he has had a run in with Keane or someone in the backroom team.
    He really was terrific for us and either way I wish him well whatever the reason is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

The Examiner reported today that he was asked to leave. So I'd surmise that he has had a big run-in with somebody..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Word on the wire is that Keane didnt want him in the first place and the was told by the CB that Donie was to be involved. If they didnt have a working relationship it was never going to last. Huge loss and I'd say any hope we had of an All Ireland this year are gone with him. Wish him well whatever he does next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭interlocked

The League is now in a direct race with the Virus, if it multiplies exponentially in the next week, then the playing of the Galway match is in doubt, I'd extrapolate that the Tyrone match is almost certainly not going to happen. We're in virgin territory here. Sport could become the least of worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

The League is now in a direct race with the Virus, if it multiplies exponentially in the next week, then the playing of the Galway match is in doubt, I'd extrapolate that the Tyrone match is almost certainly not going to happen. We're in virgin territory here. Sport could become the least of worries.

what the hell? there are no fixtures in doubt and if anything by the time of the tyrone game in round 7 the hyperbole of a virus no worse then a common flue will have died down considerably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

what the hell? there are no fixtures in doubt and if anything by the time of the tyrone game in round 7 the hyperbole of a virus no worse then a common flue will have died down considerably

WOW

Absolutely clueless post

dobman88 wrote: »
    Word on the wire is that Keane didnt want him in the first place and the was told by the CB that Donie was to be involved. If they didnt have a working relationship it was never going to last. Huge loss and I'd say any hope we had of an All Ireland this year are gone with him. Wish him well whatever he does next.

I always get the impression that Keane is stubborn and does not like when he is asked questions that have a critical undertone to them... he gets very narky.
    This will be some counties gain for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

It's a pity. I thought he could have really brought out the best in that panel and himself..

• Advertisement

More talk about Buckley here than on the Kerry thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

More talk about Buckley here than on the Kerry thread

Not a whole pile to say really. I'd imagine the general feeling is disappointment. He might head back to Mayo yet.

Not a whole pile to say really. I'd imagine the general feeling is disappointment. He might head back to Mayo yet.

That's what a lot of Mayo folks are hoping for, but right now there is nothing to suggest it will or will not happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Rumour I heard is that he has a new full time job in UL & he won't be going anywhere.

Green&Red wrote: »
    WOW

Absolutely clueless post

We might make it through the league ok, but I'd say the championship could be at risk. The covid thing isn't expected to peak here until summer. If the numbers have grown significantly by then, we might be looking at a short enough summer, championship wise.

Mayo GAA

COVID 19 UPDATE

March 9th 2020

As the global spread of coronavirus COVID-19 develops,our priority continues to be the welfare of our Mayo GAA community.We would,therefore, like to update you on how we are responding to the situation.

Mayo GAA and Croke Park response

Mayo GAA and Croke Park are continuing to monitor the situation.Our advice is updated based on the latest information from the Health Service Executive and Department of Health.A sub group of Mayo GAA Executive are in contact regularly to assess our community’s needs and to provide up to date information and advice to ensure minimal impact to all our GAA communities.This will be reviewed on a regular basis.

Updates and Advice

It is important to note that advice may change as circumstances change.We will be running regular updates from all the relevant bodies such as the HSE and Department of Health on our social media platforms www.mayogaa.ie

If you are worried about coronavirus COVID-19

- HSE Advice: Read advice from the HSE on our Alerts page or on www.hse.ie to establish the risk.

- GP: If you are still concerned about your health based on the HSE advice, phone your GP for advice.

- Self- Isolate : If your doctor instructs you to self-isolate, please make sure to follow their instructions.

Hand hygiene
    - Good hand hygiene can greatly help reduce the spread of germs.

- Hand sanitiser: All clubs should ensure installed hand sanitisers which dispense a small amount of gel to help kill germs on your hands.

- Hand washing: We encourage club members and staff to wash their hands thoroughly and often. The HSE provides useful tips for good hand hygiene.

Community Welfare
    Our top priority is the health and safety of all our members, and our collective welfare of all our clubs and intercounty teams.

There's got to be a real live possibility that league games will fall foul to the Covid 19 virus.

Common sense call given the lack of wisdom in congregating large crowds of people in close proximity to each other.

No surprise the St. Patrick's Day parades were cancelled nationwide given the public health concerns.

Not sure how impactful cancelling the parades is going to be given the pubs will likely all still be open, but how and ever.

Any ideas on what would likely happen with the league if large gatherings are banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

There will be an announcement about mass gatherings tomorrow, I would expect any events with an attendance of 5k plus will be banned. I don’t think the match on Sunday will go ahead .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Not sure how impactful cancelling the parades is going to be given the pubs will likely all still be open, but how and ever.

Any ideas on what would likely happen with the league if large gatherings are banned?

I think the holders retain the trophy and we move on to 2021 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I think the holders retain the trophy and we move on to 2021 :)

On a serious note, I'm a full time carer for my mam, who is wheelchair bound since a stroke. Also has respiratory problems so is a high risk for this covid 19. I'm seriously thinking of not going to Salthill on Sunday, I'm not one for missing match's, (I tried my damdest to get out of ICU to go to a league match in Kerry a few years back!)

mayo.mick wrote: »
    On a serious note, I'm a full time carer for my mam, who is wheelchair bound since a stroke. Also has respiratory problems so is a high risk for this covid 19. I'm seriously thinking of not going to Salthill on Sunday, I'm not one for missing match's, (I tried my damdest to get out of ICU to go to a league match in Kerry a few years back!)

Maximum respect for you my friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Stay well Mick, don’t risk it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Green&Red wrote: »
    WOW

Absolutely clueless post

Clueless me arse, there were a full line up of premier league games cross channel the weekend, there are thousands flying in and out of the country to more effected areas and we have people talking about cancelling league games that was my point

Surely stopping people travelling to more affected areas would be more sensible than stopping local events,

However given our health service being on its knees already I reckon in the next week we will see a major hault in many areas especially sports events

As for the virus or the media reports, this is not the thread to argue about, I don't agree with the end of days type of attitude being branded around at the moment

Another stellar outing from Padraig O Hora on Ultimate Forces Hell Week.

He's comes across as an exceptional young man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Would they still play the league out behind closed doors and televise as much of it as they can? Surely that would be better than just cancelling from a players point of view?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

what the hell? there are no fixtures in doubt and if anything by the time of the tyrone game in round 7 the hyperbole of a virus no worse then a common flu will have died down considerably
    Have a read of this tweet from a doctor in Bergamot and tell me its a "virus no worse than the flu". Its NOT a common flu! https://twitter.com/silviast9/status/1236933818654896129?s=03

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Mick, I've elderly parents, they are stopping going to anything other than the supermarket, big 25 players thats cut as well as mass. As a family we are isolating ourselves from them, obviously you can't do that as a carer but I'd be of the opinion that you should be treating yourself as vulnerable the same as them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Clueless me arse, there were a full line up of premier league games cross channel the weekend, there are thousands flying in and out of the country to more effected areas and we have people talking about cancelling league games that was my point

Surely stopping people travelling to more affected areas would be more sensible than stopping local events,

However given our health service being on its knees already I reckon in the next week we will see a major hault in many areas especially sports events

As for the virus or the media reports, this is not the thread to argue about, I don't agree with the end of days type of attitude being branded around at the moment

A wonder how they can justify a load of boyos heading off to Cheltenhem for a week than swanning back in to Ireland only to cancel a GAA league game. There seems to be no head nor tail to the policies they are pursuing. You're sound to fly in from countries that have thousands of cases but not to move round your own country with less than 30.

The game as things stand ATM is live on TG4.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement