Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

seligehgit wrote: »
    There's an article in Monday's Western People reporting that the game is set to be moved to Yankee stadium.

Same article states that Garth Brooks may be providing the half time entertainment.

Aidan's rendition of "The River"made a big impression.

Monday, April 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

PARlance wrote: »
    Monday, April 1st

I was aware of the date.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Blackjack wrote: »
    A bit of a debate on twitter suggests that as he didn’t catch it the second time but hand passed it away (and without catching it) means it falls within the rules.

He’s a classy player the same lad.

To me it's definitely a second hop and the goal shouldn't have stood. But in fairness they had a perfectly fine goal disallowed so that cancels each other out.

Last reported in mid February he was recuperating post surgery.

The talk in the stand and rumours before that suggest that he won't be seen in a Mayo jersey anytime soon. I really hope it's not true but time will tell I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

muddle84 wrote: »
    To me it's definitely a second hop and the goal shouldn't have stood. But in fairness they had a perfectly fine goal disallowed so that cancels each other out.

Haven't seen it back, but in real time, the ref had already blown the free out before the shot was taken. It may have been soft, but free was called. Plenty of other soft decisions went against us too on the day, just not in a goal scoring position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

muddle84 wrote: »
    The talk in the stand and rumours before that suggest that he won't be seen in a Mayo jersey anytime soon. I really hope it's not true but time will tell I guess.

Realistically you are looking to next year where he is back to himself. I just can't see him been back in contention. It would be great if he was but I just can't see it. We have options now as well with Ruane and SOS to come back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

To be fair it wasn’t quite a hop, I think he managed to toe tap it back up to himself in what was actually quite a clever and skillful movement.

Yeah, it was incredible improvisation

Clifford was extremely dangerous anytime he got the ball in the first half but I thought Harrison and the other two settled very well in the 2nd half. Chris Barrett had a stormer and Higgins his best half since Kerry 2014 perhaps?

If we can keep that up we'll be a serious match for anyone. It looks like moving AOS to midfield will be the makings of him again, that was Donegal 2013-esque at times. Ruane looks like he's been there for years

We did look a bit toothless at times up front again though in the first half and Kerry opening up a bit (why?) in the 2nd half suited us much more for sure. Can we kick enough scores from distance to put away the defensive sides? Can we develop even a bit more nous in the attacking third when faced with mass bodies? Remains to be seen but its great to see new players fitting in seamlessly, and the more established players hitting great form again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

PressRun wrote: »
    I don't think you need to worry, km, Cillian will start!

Nothing surer

Definitely our most important attacker. One of a select few players who'll always come straight back in and not have to work his way back into the side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Haven't seen it back, but in real time, the ref had already blown the free out before the shot was taken. It may have been soft, but free was called. Plenty of other soft decisions went against us too on the day, just not in a goal scoring position.

Yep. It was a clear enough free for a push in the back and to be fair to the ref I thought he was alright. The whistle was long blown and Hennelly didn’t budge as he knew the free was already called. The Ref was certainly bang on with that decision there and if Kerry fans wanted to feel aggrieved about that decision they could look at the penalty call James Carr has in the second half, which on review wasn’t a penalty either.
    Overall the ref did OK - a bit inconsistent at times but by and large I’d say he got his calls right.

For me the bigger calls for James Horan is whom he culls from the extended squad when he comes to selecting his championship squad?

The emphasis should be on giving the youthful prospects the nod.

The Eoin O Donoghue's,Michael Plunkett,Fionn McDonagh and James Carr can all have valid claims to start in the early stages of the championship.Very excited about the options James McCormack and Ciaran Treacy will possibly offer,

Throw in Hanley if fit,Tom Parsons,Seamus O Shea,Conor Diskin.

Agreed Andy,Boyler are impact substitutes IMO.Hard call to make on Fionn or Fergal to start.Can't see Stephen Coen starting.Darren Coen definitely offers more off the bench than Evan Regan.Disappointing that as yet Conor Loftus has not convincingly put himself into the mix.

Ryan O Donoghue it appears will have to be content with waiting for another year at this stage?

Here is the full listing in Sunday's programme of players used throughout the league plus the number of appearances pre final.A great spread.

Chris Barrett 4
    Fergal Boland 4
    Colm Boyle 4
    Ger Cafferkey 2
    James Carr 1
    David Clarke 3
    Darren Coen 2
    Stephen Coen 7
    Conor Diskin 3
    Jason Doherty 7
    David Drake 3
    James Durcan 2
    Jason Gibbons 1
    Brendan Harrison 6
    Robert Hennelly 5
    Keith Higgins 6
    Lee Keegan 6
    Conor Loftus 1
    James McCormack 4
    Fionn McDonagh 6
    Kevin McLoughlin 6
    Andy Moran 6
    Colm Moran 1
    Diarmuid O Connor 6
    Eoin O Donoghue 2
    Aidan O Shea 7
    Seamus O Shea 1
    Michael Plunkett 3
    Brian Reape 6
    Evan Regan 2
    Matthew Ruane 6
    Ciaran Treacy 4
    Donal Vaughan 7

I would hope that there's a similar development squad as SR had, it has served us well for getting the younger players built up and ready.

I don't want to be negative but there are at least 5 or 6 there who I don't think are up to scratch.

Despite our squad depth improving greatly over the last few years, this year is the first year where it genuinely looks like there will be serious competition for places. It's great to see, needed as well and can only stand to us.

It would be nice to see that we can look outside the 2016 U21 crop a bit more as well.

• Advertisement

Uri Geller sent an invite to James Horan to visit him in Tel Aviv on OTB AM this morning :)

Was having a few pints in Dublin last night and bumped into a Castlebar man who runs comedy clubs. Horan had them in the hotel with the team on Saturday night to kill a few hours before the final.

Between the both of them, we might be in with a chance of Sam!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Are there many people on here heading for New York next month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I am. Meeting a decent sized gang from England and a bigger one from Chicago over there

Realistically you are looking to next year where he is back to himself. I just can't see him been back in contention. It would be great if he was but I just can't see it. We have options now as well with Ruane and SOS to come back.

The speculation I'm referring to has nothing to do with his injury.

I am,first time heading over to the New York game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Unfortunately won't be making it to the NY game due to other commitments. Another one I'll be relying on the radio for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Yep. It was a clear enough free for a push in the back and to be fair to the ref I thought he was alright. The whistle was long blown and Hennelly didn’t budge as he knew the free was already called. The Ref was certainly bang on with that decision there and if Kerry fans wanted to feel aggrieved about that decision they could look at the penalty call James Carr has in the second half, which on review wasn’t a penalty either.
    Overall the ref did OK - a bit inconsistent at times but by and large I’d say he got his calls right.

The one he definitely got wrong was the first yellow he gave Aidan. There's no way that either he or the linesman knew what happened, yet felt it was ok to dish out a yellow to both players.

That annoys me to be honest, more often than not, one player has fouled another, dragged him to the ground, yet the offended player has to take a yellow card having done nothing wrong.
    There should be a warning dished out, rather than an assumption that "both of them were at it".

Other than that, he did ok, pulled a lot of blatant pushes on both sides, which was refreshing to see.

The one he definitely got wrong was the first yellow he gave Aidan. There's no way that either he or the linesman knew what happened, yet felt it was ok to dish out a yellow to both players.

That annoys me to be honest, more often than not, one player has fouled another, dragged him to the ground, yet the offended player has to take a yellow card having done nothing wrong.
    There should be a warning dished out, rather than an assumption that "both of them were at it".

Other than that, he did ok, pulled a lot of blatant pushes on both sides, which was refreshing to see.

Agree there. To be fair that seems to be standard referee cop out. By the same token Kerry’s Do’C might have felt similarly aggrieved for his second yellow. He was pretty consistent in his approach overall I felt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I'm heading and can't wait for it. The countdown is on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I am gonna go to London next time around and then New York after that

Agree there. To be fair that seems to be standard referee cop out. By the same token Kerry’s Do’C might have felt similarly aggrieved for his second yellow. He was pretty consistent in his approach overall I felt.

He can definitely feel aggrieved. Didn't think that was a fair yellow at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I was disappointed to see us get involved In that nonsense at the end. We were 4 points up & if you cannot close that game out with 2 minutes to go then good luck. Surprised at Durcan as well

I was disappointed to see us get involved I that nonsense at the end. We were 4 points up & if you cannot close that game out with 2 minutes to go then good luck. Surprised at Durcan as well
    I was delighted
    Been on the other side of it too many times
    We are learning

The rule makers have ignored it for years
    Why should we be the Martyrs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

km79 wrote: »
    I was delighted
    We are learning

I could understand it if we had been a point up, but 4 points, come on. We spent long enough giving out about Dublin doing it, just because we were on the receiving end of it doesn't give us the right to act as despicably cynical.

Had Clifford scored that goal you can be guaranteed that we would not have been able to get back up the pitch because Kerry would have done the same thing, especially as we were a man down. To suffer that against Dublin previously in an All-Ireland and again on Sunday I think I would have been physically sick. Time for the authorities to do something about this now

I was delighted
    We are learning

This. If don’t like it, but until the rule makers implement something and ensure it is applied consistently to stamp this out, I would prefer to have our lads at is as much as anyone else. I’m sure the various teams that have done it with some success over the years when the game is nearing conclusion don’t feel at all bad about the medals such behavior ensured they were given.

So yeah, I was absolutes delighted to see it and I’ve no doubt if the tables were turned it would be done to us.

• Advertisement

I felt Kerry's O'Connor lad could have felt aggrieved at the second yellow, but for sure I'm not complaining if we employ a bit of cynicism to get over the line. Any team that's serious about winning does it. Is it nice to watch? No, but it is what it is, and as km says, it's going on long enough now that I don't see why we should be the ones to try and die on the hill of doing things the "honourable way". It hasn't gotten us anywhere so far.

Heard someone (maybe Colm Parkinson) giving out about Paddy with something along the lines of why would he do something like that to a 19 year old kid like Sean O'Shea. This is top level inter county football. If they feel he's good enough to be thrown in at the deep end, then he's old enough to take the scrap that comes with it. I haven't listened to any GAA analysis in a long time, I'd forgotten about all the hand wringing that tends to go with a lot of it these days.

I was delighted
    We are learning

I could understand it if we had been a point up, but 4 points, come on. We spent long enough giving out about Dublin doing it, just because we were on the receiving end of it doesn't give us the right to act as despicably cynical.

Had Clifford scored that goal you can be guaranteed that we would not have been able to get back up the pitch because Kerry would have done the same thing, especially as we were a man down. To suffer that against Dublin previously in an All-Ireland and again on Sunday I think I would have been physically sick. Time for the authorities to do something about this now
    It was time for the authorities to do something about it after Limerick in 2014
    So until there is a clampdown on it why in God’s name would we pass up the chance to close out a final as the Dubs have done to us knowing that there are no repercussions?
    Let the rule makers clean it up first

If we are 4 points up in injury time in AI and we don’t do absolutely everything to close it out I would ask questions

Nice guys finish last

I felt Kerry's O'Connor lad could have felt aggrieved at the second yellow, but for sure I'm not complaining if we employ a bit of cynicism to get over the line. Any team that's serious about winning does it. Is it nice to watch? No, but it is what it is, and as km says, it's going on long enough now that I don't see why we should be the ones to try and die on the hill of doing things the "honourable way". It hasn't gotten us anywhere so far.

Heard someone (maybe Colm Parkinson) giving out about Paddy with something along the lines of why would he do something like that to a 19 year old kid like Sean O'Shea. This is top level inter county football. If they feel he's good enough to be thrown in at the deep end, then he's old enough to take the scrap that comes with it. I haven't listened to any GAA analysis in a long time, I'd forgotten about all the hand wringing that tends to go with a lot of it these days.
    O shea won’t be long learning down in Kerry
    You can be sure of that

They are winners . They donwhat it takes

I am incredulous that Mayo supporters would be upset by it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

It was time for the authorities to do something about it after Limerick in 2014
    So until there is a clampdown on it why in God’s name would we pass up the chance to close out a final as the Dubs have done to us knowing that there are no repercussions?
    Let the rule makers clean it up first

If we are 4 points up in injury time in AI and we don’t do absolutely everything to close it out I would ask questions

Nice guys finish last

And we know all about that only too well :(

Surprised there hasn't been a hatchet job done on us yet about it. Remember Brolly the week before the final with Donegal, "masters of the dark arts" :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

mayo.mick wrote: »
    And we know all about that only too well :(

Surprised there hasn't been a hatchet job done on us yet about it. Remember Brolly the week before the final with Donegal, "masters of the dark arts" :mad:

A bad act. Id have no problem if it was the truth, but in reality our semi win was such a hatchet job attempt at cynicism, where we just fouled them in front of the posts, thereby giving them certain scores from a a raft of half chances. It helped them back into the game if anything.
    Whereas the team he was glorifying, donegal, were systematically fouling out the field for any restart they didnt win, so thet could get back into defensive position.
    It sums up a lot of brollys famed analysis - all fur coat but no knickers.

• Advertisement

Agreed but AOS' first yellow was laughable. In fact it was for someone doing to him exactly what durcan done to sean oshea.

Do we know that Durcan started it?
    Going 4 points down with a minute to go, it could have been O'Shea that lost the head. Think he has a bit of fight in him.

Not that I'm trying to deflect, nor would I be bothered if Durcan started it.

Kerry wasted their own time as it developed as well. There were 4 of them grappling with Harrison & Ruane.

Do we know that Durcan started it?
    Going 4 points down with a minute to go, it could have been O'Shea that lost the head. Think he has a bit of fight in him.

Not that I'm trying to deflect, nor would I be bothered if Durcan started it.

Kerry wasted their own time as it developed as well. There were 4 of them grappling with Harrison & Ruane.

Fairly confident he did. I think there might have been an element of returning the favour from 2014 to it... Dead right too.

Fairly confident he did. I think there might have been an element of returning the favour from 2014 to it... Dead right too.

While it suits a certain narrative (that many of us may want to believe), I don't think it was as cynical at all or that Durcan was the instigator.

Clifford pointed at 72:00 to bring the gap to the minimum. By the time Hennelly was taking the kickout, about 20 seconds later, O'Shea was the aggressor and trying to hold Durcan back from making a run for the kickout. Another 15 seconds or so we had gone up the field and got the goal. The 2 had gone to ground. Durcan may have dragged him down but O'Shea wasn't an innocent party in it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Heading over with a good gang. Should be fun

While it suits a certain narrative (that many of us may want to believe), I don't think it was as cynical at all or that Durcan was the instigator.

Clifford pointed at 72:00 to bring the gap to the minimum. By the time Hennelly was taking the kickout, about 20 seconds later, O'Shea was the aggressor and trying to hold Durcan back from making a run for the kickout. Another 15 seconds or so we had gone up the field and got the goal. The 2 had gone to ground. Durcan may have dragged him down but O'Shea wasn't an innocent party in it anyway.

Well in fairness, guys get blocked or held for every kickout. But not every one of them ends up with one lad lying on top of another and refusing to get up. Because of that, id argue that durcan was the aggressor for the schmozzle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

Heard someone (maybe Colm Parkinson) giving out about Paddy

Your first mistake was listening to anything that Colm Parkinson said or content he is involved with.
    A bad act. Id have no problem if it was the truth, but in reality our semi win was such a hatchet job attempt at cynicism, where we just fouled them in front of the posts, thereby giving them certain scores from a a raft of half chances. It helped them back into the game if anything.
    Whereas the team he was glorifying, donegal, were systematically fouling out the field for any restart they didnt win, so thet could get back into defensive position.
    It sums up a lot of brollys famed analysis - all fur coat but no knickers.

Seriously, why the f**k does anyone listen a word Brolly says??? He always has a flavour of the month and promotes them to the highest degree possible while bad mouthing (and outright blatantly lying if needs be) about their opponents.

If anyone cares to take a trip down memory lane, he was the biggest cheerleader for Tyrone during the Noughties and then Donegal under McGuinness "who reinvented the game". Then, when they started losing and some other winner came along, Mickey Harte is the Devil who is destroying Tyrone and football with his tactics and McGuinness is responsible for every fault and flaw in the game from U-8 level up to intercounty level.

He's a gobsh*te lads and lassies, pay no attention to him. Watch the games on Sky and you'll see some proper analysis and pundits who have done their research and homework - not a couple of lads who stroll in and ask "so, who's playing today?" before spending the rest of the show trying to force their pre-rehearsed soundbites and agendas in as many times they can, no matter how irrelevant they are to the actual game and discussion.

BandMember wrote: »
    Your first mistake was listening to anything that Colm Parkinson said or content he is involved with.

Seriously, why the f**k does anyone listen a word Brolly says??? He always has a flavour of the month and promotes them to the highest degree possible while bad mouthing (and outright blatantly lying if needs be) about their opponents.

If anyone cares to take a trip down memory lane, he was the biggest cheerleader for Tyrone during the Noughties and then Donegal under McGuinness "who reinvented the game". Then, when they started losing and some other winner came along, Mickey Harte is the Devil who is destroying Tyrone and football with his tactics and McGuinness is responsible for every fault and flaw in the game from U-8 level up to intercounty level.

He's a gobsh*te lads and lassies, pay no attention to him. Watch the games on Sky and you'll see some proper analysis and pundits who have done their research and homework - not a couple of lads who stroll in and ask "so, who's playing today?" before spending the rest of the show trying to force their pre-rehearsed soundbites and agendas in as many times they can, no matter how irrelevant they are to the actual game and discussion.

To be fair to Parkinson he’s not the worst. He has the balls to call out all the Weasels like Brolly and Brehany (and the rest of their fellow travellers from the Independent group of newspapers) on their various agendas, unlike most other commentators.
    Fogarty in the Examiner would be the exception really, he is not driven by agenda and his writings are articulate and well written, which is rare enough. The problem with most GAA commentary is the lack of analysis and the fact that anything decent plays second fiddle to the sensationalist nonsense and agenda driven, sly, sneery sound bites. With the notable exception of Colm Keys, the Indo and Herald are by far the worst of the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

He might court controversy but on the whole............... I agree with what Brolly says (most of the time). He constantly has a go at Galway on their style of play (he is correct) he praises Corofin and their attacking style (he is correct). He has a pop at negative football and blanket defences...... and I agree with him. His recent article on the situation in the North and the GAA helping to integrate people into a new post brexit Ireland was one of the best articles that I have read in many a year.

As for the Sky analysis over RTE, sorry lads, wee Peter does not do it for me with charts and arrows all over the show !!!!

I could go on.......... I like Brolly, his writing is better than his TV work, just don't let him annoy you.

Pretty harsh commentary on Wooly.

IMO the GAA hour is a very good listen.

Colm Keys is very good and I find Micheal Foley a very good read in the Times.

• Advertisement

I know there are good GAA journalists out there, but I do find that by the time the football championship comes around the majority of them do end up falling prey to the kind of pearl clutching and finger pointing that seemed to start out on RTE with Joe Brolly's rant against Sean Cavanagh. They all love to act like they're so scandalised by off the ball shenanigans and cynicism in the game, to the point of singling players out for scrutiny and even putting pressure on the organisation to change the rules of the game (and I do believe a lot of rule changes have come about because of pressure from media figures). I find it tiresome to listen to, whether it's Mayo or Dublin or Tyrone or whoever they're talking about, because above all else it's just totally disingenuous and done purely for the sake of sensationalism and attention. These fellas mean to tell everyone that they're so shocked and appalled by the conduct of inter-county footballers while also lauding the club game, where the same and worse is going on all the time. It's just not believable and it misrepresents where football is really at and what state our game is in.
    I don't know enough about the hurling analysis to say for sure, but it doesn't seem like they have as many 'pundits' who love the sound of their own voices as much as we have in football.

I know there are good GAA journalists out there, but I do find that by the time the football championship comes around the majority of them do end up falling prey to the kind of pearl clutching and finger pointing...

To look at it from the other side. If you were a decent journalist who likes to analyse games, tactics etc... you're faced with learning nothing significant about Kerry or Dublin until they win their provincials later in the Summer. There's a bit more competition in Connacht and Ulster but still a lot of nothing games.

A lot of column inches to be filled and not a lot of meaningful games to talk about or learn from.

There's the potential for a great Summer of football but it won't happen until the Provincials are part of the Championship.

Idle minds and all that...

To look at it from the other side. If you were a decent journalist who likes to analyse games, tactics etc... you're faced with learning nothing significant about Kerry or Dublin until they win their provincials later in the Summer. There's a bit more competition in Connacht and Ulster but still a lot of nothing games.

A lot of column inches to be filled and not a lot of meaningful games to talk about or learn from.

There's the potential for a great Summer of football but it won't happen until the Provincials are part of the Championship.

Idle minds and all that...

Sure, I get it. And most of it is all about clicks/views, etc. But it is the main reason I don't listen to or read much GAA analysis anymore. I'm tired of reading about how such and such a player is a brat or how such and such a manager is ruining the game. And I think it seeps into the mentality of supporters too. You can tell when someone's been reading too many of these articles.

Sure, I get it. And most of it is all about clicks/views, etc. But it is the main reason I don't listen to or read much GAA analysis anymore. I'm tired of reading about how such and such a player is a brat or how such and such a manager is ruining the game. And I think it seeps into the mentality of supporters too. You can tell when someone's been reading too many of these articles.

True, that's why I enjoy Parkinson's show. He challenges those views quiet often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

This is brolly's best piece and hits the nail on the head. it's why other counties have a go at him.
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-i-think-lee-keegan-is-the-best-footballer-to-ever-play-for-mayo-36018691.html

To be fair to Parkinson he’s not the worst. He has the balls to call out all the Weasels like Brolly and Brehany (and the rest of their fellow travellers from the Independent group of newspapers) on their various agendas, unlike most other commentators.

Parkinson is just a lesser known Brolly - he's been called out himself on the amount of rubbish he's come out with.

Yep. Whenever someone responds to me or starts trying to make a point by agreeing with Brolly said, I just walk away because you know they haven't a clue...
    This is brolly's best piece and hits the nail on the head. it's why other counties have a go at him.

More like that piece sums up the hypocrisy of Brolly, how he makes it up as he goes along and changes his opinion at the drop of a hat depending on which way the wind is blowing. He's done plenty of hatchet jobs on Keegan down the years, especially in the run up to big matches against whatever team he was head cheerleader for at the time.

There are a few good G.A.A. journalists around, you just won't find them in The Irish Independent or The Evening Herald. Or on RTÉ for that matter either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Any word on how they're being distributed by The County Board? I'd imagine you'd have to be there early to get in on the gate.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-i-think-lee-keegan-is-the-best-footballer-to-ever-play-for-mayo-36018691.html

But who actually says he isn't a top player? A press gang from dublin and supporters of teams where he has just shut down their leading light? Hardly objective.

I seen a thread somewhere or othat about a player you would like from another county, keegan swept the board.

Keegan is the most complete footballer in the game today, if not ever. He can do everything to an elite level and has ridiculous consistency in doing so. James mccarthy comes colsest but he probably isnt as accurate. Id be half tempted to stick him in goals for a game just to see if he could do that too.
    Anyone knocking him as a player either hasnt a clue or has ulterior motives as far as im concerned

• Advertisement

Any word on how they're being distributed by The County Board? I'd imagine you'd have to be there early to get in on the gate.

How many are they even getting? No word on how many tickets are going on sale either - if it's all ticket, it'll be sold out in no time and there will no pay on the day availability. You can be sure that will cause problems if people turn up and can't get in (which I think is going to happen anyway).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement