Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭jammer84

Standard response I'm getting is no tickets, be early and pay at the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

BandMember wrote: »
    How many are they even getting? No word on how many tickets are going on sale either - if it's all ticket, it'll be sold out in no time and there will no pay on the day availability. You can be sure that will cause problems if people turn up and can't get in (which I think is going to happen anyway).

No clue. To be honest, I wouldn't be too put out if I didn't get in - it's gonna be mobbed, even worse than last time. I'll get there early and see how it goes though.
    jammer84 wrote: »
    Standard response I'm getting is no tickets, be early and pay at the gate.

It's gonna be a long day out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

seligehgit wrote: »

In relation to tickets for New York v Mayo,tickets will not be on general sale from MacHale Park.The distribution of tickets which has yet to be confirmed will be communicated to clubs at next week's County Board meeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

In fairness to Colm Parkinson and the gas hour, there is no other podcast that covers the lower divisions in any great detail. That's one thing I really like about it. It's not just division 1 like so many others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

muddle84 wrote: »
    In fairness to Colm Parkinson and the gas hour, there is no other podcast that covers the lower divisions in any great detail. That's one thing I really like about it. It's not just division 1 like so many others.

That’s a fair point too. He can be a bit contrary in his views but he’s not afraid to challenge narratives and call out agendas.

By the way check your pm’s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

But who actually says he isn't a top player? A press gang from dublin and supporters of teams where he has just shut down their leading light? Hardly objective.

I seen a thread somewhere or othat about a player you would like from another county, keegan swept the board.

Keegan is the most complete footballer in the game today, if not ever. He can do everything to an elite level and has ridiculous consistency in doing so. James mccarthy comes colsest but he probably isnt as accurate. Id be half tempted to stick him in goals for a game just to see if he could do that too.
    Anyone knocking him as a player either hasnt a clue or has ulterior motives as far as im concerned

yes totally, I am not saying anyone is not saying that he isn't a top player but the bad press he got from some ex dublin players in the media was not on. I was reading some kerry posts about him as a footballer and it was laughable.

I 100% agree with you he is the most complete player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

THE Connacht GAA Council has confirmed ticket arrangements for the Connacht SFC preliminary round clash between New York and Mayo at Gaelic Park on Sunday, May 5.

Tickets (€30/$30) are only be sold by Mayo GAA, New York GAA or at the stadium on the day.

An unprecedented number of Mayo supporters are reported to be making the trip for the match.

From CT Facebook page

Can't see too many being left to sell at the stadium on the day.

Very entertaining league match in Breaffy last night between the Breaffy and the Mitchels.

Tasty appetiser pre championship next weekend.

Breaffy were too strong for the townies minus the Durcan brothers and Donal Vaughan starting.

Breaffy dominated the early exchanges but were hauled back post a strong second quarter kicked off by the Mitchels goal.

Breaffy were very impressive defensively and utilised the long accurate direct ball to great effect in the early exchanges.Conor O Shea was a very effective target man.

Breaffy led by 4 at the break.In spite of the introduction of James Durcan and Donal Vaughan Breaffy continued to get the better of the exchanges and a bit of needle came into the contest with Neil Douglas getting the line and a few black cards.

Liam Irwin got the final score to wrap up the action.Young Stephen McDermott ended up with 4 points.

Seamie O Shea although not togged out looks close to a return.

Breaffy ran out very worthy winners on a balmy spring night.

Breaffy 1-20 Castlebar Mitchels 1-11

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I've kinda accepted not getting a ticket for the NY game. Their official facebook page says be at the gate for 8:30am for a 2:15 throw in, with the best intentions in the world thats not happening.

If anyone knows of anything in the locality that would be good for the overflow crowd (Irish clubs maybe?) feel free to share

I've kinda accepted not getting a ticket for the NY game. Their official facebook page says be at the gate for 8:30am for a 2:15 throw in, with the best intentions in the world thats not happening.

If anyone knows of anything in the locality that would be good for the overflow crowd (Irish clubs maybe?) feel free to share

Ah don't give up my friend.

I will go through walls to get a ticket and if not I'll make sure I'm out there for 8.30!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Very entertaining league match in Breaffy last night between the Breaffy and the Mitchels.

Tasty appetiser pre championship next weekend.

Breaffy were too strong for the townies minus the Durcan brothers and Donal Vaughan starting.

Breaffy dominated the early exchanges but were hauled back post a strong second quarter kicked off by the Mitchels goal.

Breaffy were very impressive defensively and utilised the long accurate direct ball to great effect in the early exchanges.Conor O Shea was a very effective target man.

Breaffy led by 4 at the break.In spite of the introduction of James Durcan and Donal Vaughan Breaffy continued to get the better of the exchanges and a bit of needle came into the contest with Neil Douglas getting the line and a few black cards.

Liam Irwin got the final score to wrap up the action.Young Stephen McDermott ended up with 4 points.

Seamie O Shea although not togged out looks close to a return.

Breaffy ran out very worthy winners on a balmy spring night.

Breaffy 1-20 Castlebar Mitchels 1-11

I'd say there could be a bit of bite in some of these club matches now, what with Horan looking to nail down his squad for the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There is a full bar inside.

I wonder will they be serving all day.

Some people may not get to see the game after 6 full hours of drinking in the hot hot sun.

There is a full bar inside.

I wonder will they be serving all day.

Some people may not get to see the game after 6 full hours of drinking in the hot hot sun.

The clubhouse was rammed last time but they sell bottles of beer outside too. You're right though, that's a long day for it if you're showing up at 8:30. The craic is good in Manhattan after the game too so pacing yourself and drinking plenty of water is advisable!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Looks of folks now seem to have tickets but the county board hasn't even had its meeting with clubs yet :confused::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

glack wrote:
    Looks of folks now seem to have tickets but the county board hasn't even had its meeting with clubs yet

Do we even have any idea what the capacity is going to be? I've seen everything from 2k to 5k mentioned.

Do we even have any idea what the capacity is going to be? I've seen everything from 2k to 5k mentioned.

Official capacity appears to be 2,000 but I was told on numerous occasions that in excess of 4,000 were present at the last Mayo New York fixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Official capacity appears to be 2,000 but I was told on numerous occasions that in excess of 4,000 were present at the last Mayo New York fixture.

Aren't they doing some work on the ground there so the capacity is reduced for health and safety reasons

seligehgit wrote:

I'm hearing the same. I'd say there will be people there at 6:30am at this stage. Hate to think I won't get in!

I'm hearing the same. I'd say there will be people there at 6:30am at this stage. Hate to think I won't get in!

Sincerely hope that all those making the trip acquire a ticket.

Details of a function in New York.

http://sportlomo-userupload.s3.amazonaws.com/uploaded/galleries/21_uploaded/b6828a050e16c5a896a33132095e625dacc141c1.pdf

Intending to head up to the Mitchels Stephenites clash Saturday evening.Will be finished in good time for the Masters.:)

I'm not sure why so many are so obsessed with trying to get into a trumped up challenge game.

Go to NY sure and enjoy the holiday, I'd love to go myself, but heading out to the north Bronx at 8am, not for me.

Get to a bar on McLean Ave or nearby for the afternoon and enjoy that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

I'm not sure why so many are so obsessed with trying to get into a trumped up challenge game.

Go to NY sure and enjoy the holiday, I'd love to go myself, but heading out to the north Bronx at 8am, not for me.

I would imagine that there will be a large number of people who will end up doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

McLean Ave, is that Yonkers? Staying around Times Square, looks a bit out. We'll figure it out somehow! Bad enough the wife is getting dragged along for her birthday, without making her stand in a gaelic pitch for 6 hours before a game

McLean Ave, is that Yonkers? Staying around Times Square, looks a bit out. We'll figure it out somehow! Bad enough the wife is getting dragged along for her birthday, without making her stand in a gaelic pitch for 6 hours before a game

It and Kotaona Ave are relatively close to Gaelic Park

Big Irish areas, it's where many will congregate on the day

Because if I travel all the way to NY I'd like to make an effort to see the game. Can go any weekend to sit in a bar

Because if I travel all the way to NY I'd like to make an effort to see the game. Can go any weekend to sit in a bar

Indeed the whole trip revolves around for me what will never be a trumped up challenge game when it involves the Green and Red.:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

For those who remember him as St Patrick AKA John Durkan passed away this morning. Always brought a bit of life and color to Mayo games.
    Ar dheis go raibh a anam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

yop wrote: »
    For those who remember him as St Patrick AKA John Durkan passed away this morning. Always brought a bit of life and color to Mayo games.
    Ar dheis go raibh a anam

A harmless character.

RIP.

He didn't miss many games before he got sick in fairness to him. R.I.P John

I heard the clubs were advised re their ticket allocations for the New York game.

Each senior club gets 10 tickets
    Intermediate clubs get 8 tickets
    Junior clubs get 6 tickets

• Advertisement

Mitchels 0-12 Ballina Stephenites 1-9

The Mitchels will be happy to have salvaged a draw in a contest they seemed destined to lose trailing by four points in the later stages of the game.The wind was somewhat of a contributory factor to both teams errant shooting.

The Moysiders failed to take advantage of a very strong in the first half only leading by a single score so it seemed all set up for a facile win for the Mitchels.

Strong first half performance from Donie Vaughan.

Evan Regan produced occasional moments of brilliance and Ciaran Treacy resembles Jason Doherty in his style of play,hopeful we'll see much more from him in years to come.Ger Caff was very solid at full back.

James Durcan will be happy with his day's work,Paddy was to the fore in bringing a sense of urgency to the proceedings when all seemed lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Tomjim

Is the Hanley guy that came back from Australia around for Mayo seniors this year

Tomjim wrote: »
    Is the Hanley guy that came back from Australia around for Mayo seniors this year

Cian Hanley has missed the whole league due to injury I believe.

Not sure when he is due back.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Hanley was playing for Ballaghaderreen on Saturday and scored a goal. I think it was his 1st game back after injury.

Jason Gibbons, Conor O'Shea, Colm Moran, James Kelly and Ryan O'Donoghue (there's a surprise lol) all cut according to The Connaught Telegraph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Pity its never really worked out at county level for Gibbons, who has been an outstanding club player for a good few years now

Thought 2016 might be a breakthrough of sorts for COS but again its never really worked out for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Jason Gibbons, Conor O'Shea, Colm Moran, James Kelly and Ryan O'Donoghue (there's a surprise lol) all cut according to The Connaught Telegraph.

What did O'Donoghue get up to anyway?

spakman wrote: »

I'm genuinely shocked and disappointed he's been cut from the panel.

Can't fathom that one out?!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

He’s young plenty of time for him.
    Would prefer if he was included

spakman wrote: »

Last time I posted a rumour on here, I nearly caused an international incident!

naughto wrote: »
    He’s young plenty of time for him.
    Would prefer if he was included

Silly me,alas my sole excuse is a busy day at the office.:)

I didn't read the post other than on the move.

Misread it as Eoin O Donoghue.:D

Similarly disappointed for young Ryan who has bundles of potential and time very much on his side.

He's had a long time out with injury too.

• Advertisement

It has nothing to do with his footballing talent from what I heard. Hopefully he'll get another shot next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

glack wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with his footballing talent from what I heard. Hopefully he'll get another shot next year.

i hate this crap, just say what the problem is it cant be that bad. all this im in the know.

irishgeo wrote: »
    i hate this crap, just say what the problem is it cant be that bad. all this im in the know.
    I get your frustration but without being 100% certain its true, I have no intention of spreading stories on a public forum.

irishgeo wrote: »

In fairness it's not just one person saying that they're in the know about this, there's been a rumour going around the county the last couple of weeks. It's to do with the player getting into trouble with the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

He is an amazing talent from what I witnessed from the U20s with a frightening turn of pace , direct football that would put the fear of god into any defender . I sincerely hope he makes a return over the coming years .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Regardless of what he has done or not, he has immense talent. Can't argue with the rest of the cuts. The next block of cuts will be the interesting ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Well, I for one am shocked that Aidan allowed Conor to be dropped

PressRun wrote: »
    Well, I for one am shocked that Aidan allowed Conor to be dropped

Ah Shtop!

Regardless of what he has done or not, he has immense talent. Can't argue with the rest of the cuts. The next block of cuts will be the interesting ones.

How many more have to be cut loose for Championship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

The next block of cuts will be the interesting ones.

Will there be any more? There's 35 on the panel acc to the Connaught Telegraph, given there'll be injuries at different stages I'd have thought he'll stick with around that number overall

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement