Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

irishgeo wrote: »
    Seems very short around midfield.

Still a little bit surprised he's let Gibbons go really

I know he never really hit massive heights at inter county level to date but he's still only 30 this year and had a great club campaign last year. Surely he's worth a spot as cover at least.

I don't really know the ins and outs of Parsons recovery but surely its a bit much to expect him to play any sort of significant role this year. SOS has been struggling with injury a while now also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

jr86 wrote: »
    Still a little bit surprised he's let Gibbons go really

I know he never really hit massive heights at inter county level to date but he's still only 30 this year and had a great club campaign last year. Surely he's worth a spot as cover at least.

I don't really know the ins and outs of Parsons recovery but surely its a bit much to expect him to play any sort of significant role this year. SOS has been struggling with injury a while now also

If i remember rightly he had numerous chances in the league and failed to impress or contribute to the games in any of them? I'm not surprised he is gone from what I seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

muddle84 wrote: »
    If i remember rightly he had numerous chances in the league and failed to impress or contribute to the games in any of them? I'm not surprised he is gone from what I seen.

He had one very solid league campaign - 2012 or 2013 but never really pushed on after that. He has undoubted ability but hasn't shown it nearly enough in the Mayo jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

He had one very solid league campaign - 2012 or 2013 but never really pushed on after that. He has undoubted ability but hasn't shown it nearly enough in the Mayo jersey.

Agreed on this. I think he got a game or 2 this year and gave the ball away cheaply enough on a couple of occasions. That wouldn’t do at inter county level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

muddle84 wrote: »

Not this year - he only made one appearance from what I remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

spakman wrote: »
    Not this year - he only made one appearance from what I remember.

Fair enough, was it a full half against Monaghan? I don't think he done much right either way. Carr on the other hand got similar time but made a decent impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Diarmuid out injured. Paddy Durcan captains the team Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Team named for Sunday...

1. Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
    2. Chris Barrett - Belmullet
    3. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
    4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    5. Patrick Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels(C)
    6. Lee Keegan - Westport
    7. James McCormack - Claremorris
    8. Matthew Ruane - Breaffy
    9. Aidan O’Shea - Breaffy
    10. Evan Regan - Ballina Stephenites
    11. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
    12. Fergal Boland - Aghamore
    13. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    14. Darren Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    15. James Carr - Ardagh

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Mayo Club 51

Not sure how reliable but the match maybe streamed live here on Sunday,

Edit: site looks a bit dodge.....

https://www.tvchannel24.com/watch-new-york-vs-mayo-live-gaa-football-2019-streaming/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

No chance it will be streamed there. Just a spam site getting you to download crap onto your computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

franklyon wrote: »
    No chance it will be streamed there. Just a spam site getting you to download crap onto your computer.

Correct
    Because the game is not actually live anywhere, it's not even on GAA Go, then there is no actual place from it to be streamed from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just heard on RTÉ Saturday sport that Cora Staunton has broken both her tibia and fibula in her right leg playing in Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Just heard on RTÉ Saturday sport that Cora Staunton has broken both her tibia and fibula in her right leg playing in Australia.

It's all over for her then so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

She could recover if the medical plan is good and d3pending on the type of breaks. Plus a comprehensive rehab program if she is committed to it could work.

I wouldn't bet on her career ending yet. She's a doughty warrior...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Team named for Sunday...

1. Robert Hennelly - Breaffy
    2. Chris Barrett - Belmullet
    3. Brendan Harrison - Aghamore
    4. Keith Higgins - Ballyhaunis
    5. Patrick Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels(C)
    6. Lee Keegan - Westport
    7. James McCormack - Claremorris
    8. Matthew Ruane - Breaffy
    9. Aidan O’Shea - Breaffy
    10. Evan Regan - Ballina Stephenites
    11. Jason Doherty - Burrishoole
    12. Fergal Boland - Aghamore
    13. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    14. Darren Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    15. James Carr - Ardagh

No messing about there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Fionn macdonagh named at 10 instead of Evan Regan in programme which would make more sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Any notable names on the New York team? I seem to remember they had Jamie Clarke last year or the year before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

PressRun wrote:
    Any notable names on the New York team? I seem to remember they had Jamie Clarke last year or the year before?

Think Cathal Compton who played for the Rossies against them last year is probably their biggest name. Daniel Flynn had been training with them before he opted to go back to Kildare.

• Advertisement

Yikes it's absolutely spilling down here in the Big Apple.:(

Unfortunately the forecast was for same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Enjoy the day Seligehgit, I'm jealous. Would love such a good reason to go to New York

Plain sailing so far. Might as well give a few of the fringe players a run at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Mayo -17 at 10/11 looked a great bet and proving to be :)

Mayo -17 at 10/11 looked a great bet and proving to be :)

And you're only telling us now :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Worth the journey. 25k a table of 10 at a fundraising dinner and 350 at it so 35 tables. 875k and thats only one fundraiser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Expected easy win for Mayo (i predicted a 20 point win) margin would be far greater if Mayo weren't so wasteful. New York never trouble Mayo in the Connacht championship and they don't even seem to prepare for these Mayo matches in the same way as they would for more winnable games e.g Leitrim last year.

Expected easy win for Mayo (i predicted a 20 point win) margin would be far greater if Mayo weren't so wasteful. New York never trouble Mayo in the Connacht championship and they don't even seem to prepare for these Mayo matches in the same way as they would for more winnable games e.g Leitrim last year.

Agreed.

Game won in the first half but New York were pretty dire.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Worth the journey. 25k a table of 10 at a fundraising dinner and 350 at it so 35 tables. 875k and thats only one fundraiser.

Fantastic news I've heard they raised around a million big ones in total.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Wins a win. Good to see the young lads get a run out. No injuries.
    Wide count and shot selection poor.
    Plenty to work out. Great support out there, mad as brushes but a great laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

seligehgit wrote: »

Fair play. Who is in charge of the biscuit tin bringing all that dosh back home? ;)

(PS Any chance of a loan of a few bob?)

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »

Fair play. Who is in charge of the biscuit tin bringing all that dosh back home? ;)

(PS Any chance of a loan of a few bob?)
    Are they declaring it at customs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Good point. Wouldn't want James Horan or Lee Keegan to be arrested for being a money laundering drug dealer when they fly back into Dublin Airport, now would we....whistles innnocently.....:p

Wasn't there drama between Horan and the County Board/Connacht Council the last time they brought the biscuit tin to Noo Yawk, or am I mixing them up with Galway?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Good point. Wouldn't want James Horan or Lee Keegan to be arrested for being a money laundering drug dealer when they fly back into Dublin Airport, now would we....whistles innnocently.....:p

Wasn't there drama between Horan and the County Board/Connacht Council the last time they brought the biscuit tin to Noo Yawk, or am I mixing them up with Galway?

Galway GAA use the boot of a car :D They will be bringing the pound back after Sundays win in London.
    Its a lot of cash to raise. The weeks training came over there has to be paid for I suppose! :)

Wasn't it a case the biscuit tin went missing or was left behind.

ProudDUB wrote:

A few USA biscuit tins went 'missing'

So the big question is did everybody get in?:D

Anybody hear rumours that the annual trip to the Big Apple may be coming to an end?

It would be a terrible shame.

Very excited if rumours of a new sponsor into the future are true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Anybody hear rumours that the annual trip to the Big Apple may be coming to an end?

Damn I was planning on going next time
    But ydays display by NY had me worried it would stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

What's this about a new sponsor?

the connacht teams wont want to see cash cow ended surely.

wasnt joe.ie owner looking to throw some money at mayo?

seligehgit wrote:

Ehh what?

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote:
    wasnt joe.ie owner looking to throw some money at mayo?

That was just to get a commercial director or something similar up and running. About 10k if I remember correctly. He is from Castlebar.

New York Review Mayo News Football Podcast 2019

https://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2019-05-05T18_42_00-07_00.mp3

The Mayo fans who descended on Gaelic Park in their thousands may not have been able to dodge the rain but James Horan's team made short work of avoiding any threat of a shock result in their Connacht championship quarter final tie against New York.

Mayo cantered to a 21 point win in the Bronx and the Mayo News football podcast was there to catch the action and to hear from several of those who were there to witness it.

In this episode of the podcast, we join host Rob Murphy and Mayo News sports editor Mike Finnerty as they make their way on the train towards Gaelic Park for the match.

Once there, Rob catches up with soccer legend and uber Mayo supporter Kevin Kilbane as well as with ex Mayo star and RTE pundit John Casey.Rob also chats with Padraig Durcan,proud father of Paddy,who was Mayo's captain for the day,and with Mayo fan Jim Zoldy.

At half-time Mike gets the thoughts of James O Connell and Andy Hanley, brother of Pearse and Cian,and after the final whistle has sounded Rob gets post match quotes from Paddy Durcan and James Horan.Mike catches up after the game with New York player and Lahardane native Matthew Queenan,while Rob gets the post-match thoughts of RTE co commentator and New York GAA stalwart Pat Donoghue.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Some weekend-feeling the pressure at work today I won’t lie!!!

If anyone was considering going in 5 years I’d highly recommend it. Mayo people everywhere you looked. Kept randomly bumping in to people I knew but didn’t know they were going. Pity the weather put a major damper on the atmosphere in Gaelic Park but the rest of the weekend was brilliant. Had the best craic!

glack wrote: »
    Some weekend-feeling the pressure at work today I won’t lie!!!

If anyone was considering going in 5 years I’d highly recommend it. Mayo people everywhere you looked. Kept randomly bumping in to people I knew but didn’t know they were going. Pity the weather put a major damper on the atmosphere in Gaelic Park but the rest of the weekend was brilliant. Had the best craic!

It will be for my 50th, Ill be goin unless I'm dead! :D

Can't believe the amount of negative feedback Mayo fans have got all over media and social media.
    As I said to a friend who hates Mayo GAA, "You sing the fields of athenry for a soccer club in another country who doesn't pay your dole and the feckin fields isn't even in Mayo"

Looked mighty, getting the reports of "I'm too old for this sh9t9e" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

yop wrote: »
    It will be for my 50th, Ill be goin unless I'm dead! :D

Can't believe the amount of negative feedback Mayo fans have got all over media and social media.
    As I said to a friend who hates Mayo GAA, "You sing the fields of athenry for a soccer club in another country who doesn't pay your dole and the feckin fields isn't even in Mayo"

Looked mighty, getting the reports of "I'm too old for this sh9t9e" :)

The reaction was begrudgery at its finest, at least Mayo people weren't doing the 'look how sound the Irish are' videos from the trip abroad :rolleyes:

yop wrote:
    Can't believe the amount of negative feedback Mayo fans have got all over media and social media. As I said to a friend who hates Mayo GAA, "You sing the fields of athenry for a soccer club in another country who doesn't pay your dole and the feckin fields isn't even in Mayo"

The Dubs and Tribesmen at their worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

You can’t beat either of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Not really us. We can't really tell the difference between you so as to target a particular group.

I've noticed that a lot of your provincial neighbors complain about Mayo fans.

Most likely due to all the finals you get to, it's to be expected.
    Most football fans enjoy the football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Stoner wrote: »
    Not really us. We can't really tell the difference between you so as to target a particular group.

I've noticed that a lot of your provincial neighbors complain about Mayo fans.

Most likely due to all the finals you get to, it's to be expected.
    Most football fans enjoy the football

Empty barrels make the most noise. As you say the real Football fans enjoy the Football, but social media seems to be a magnet for a particular set of small minded, mean spirited, spiteful begrudgers.
    They’re best ignored, as giving them attention is giving them that which they so desperately crave, which says more about them than about anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Blackjack wrote: »
    Empty barrels make the most noise. As you say the real Football fans enjoy the Football, but social media seems to be a magnet for a particular set of small minded, mean spirited, spiteful begrudgers.
    They’re best ignored, as giving them attention is giving them that which they so desperately crave, which says more about them than about anyone else.

Well you have it in one here anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement