Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

km79 wrote: »
    Carr was out of Favour last summer a bit too
    I said it then that I thought Horan had gone full Horan on him

Not sure what you mean by that? He brought him on as a sub last weekend.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

PARlance wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by that? He brought him on as a sub last weekend.

Carr and McDonagh if they both can get their head/fitness right then could be a serious threat for us.
    I think the pace of the game has pushed Coen out of favor.

The CF "position" is very open at the minute I think with Moran, Ryan O'D, even Walsh fighting for it. Positions are very fluid anyway, but that place is open.

Looking forward to seen what Tipp and Meath will bring to the games next weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Delighted.

And more delighted with McL's foul.

yop wrote: »
    Carr and McDonagh if they both can get their head/fitness right then could be a serious threat for us.
    I think the pace of the game has pushed Coen out of favor.

The CF "position" is very open at the minute I think with Moran, Ryan O'D, even Walsh fighting for it. Positions are very fluid anyway, but that place is open.

Looking forward to seen what Tipp and Meath will bring to the games next weekend.

Agreed it's up for grabs but just not sure what the Horan going full Horan on him meant? Messing him around like?

I think Ryan O'D is probably doing enough to keep the others out if we assume the 5 remaining spots are DO'C, CO'C, AO'S, KMcL and TGC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Agreed it's up for grabs but just not sure what the Horan going full Horan on him meant? Messing him around like?

I think Ryan O'D is probably doing enough to keep the others out if we assume the 5 remaining spots are DO'C, CO'C, AO'S, KMcL and TGC

He's definitely the front runner for that position if he continues to perform in training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

PressRun wrote: »
    Not sure about the story with Carr. Thought he might have something to offer, but doesn't seem to be in favour this year. Unless there's an injury?

Tell you who we're missing for mopping up dirty ball - Jason Doherty. Was always able to read the breaks very well, would let his man contest unwinnable ball and then anticipate where the ball would spill out. Great in the tackle too. Strength and smarts.

Nobody has nailed down the 11 jersey yet. Pity Jason isn't available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

PressRun wrote: »
    Tell you who we're missing for mopping up dirty ball - Jason Doherty. Was always able to read the breaks very well, would let his man contest unwinnable ball and then anticipate where the ball would spill out. Great in the tackle too. Strength and smarts.

Whats the story with Doherty - did he play any club this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

The break will do us good 5 games in 5 weeks on heavy ground is tough going.
    Crocker will suite us two dry hard ground wide open spaces

He played the full club championship. Injured his other knee in intercounty training afterwards.

Did the cruciate in his other knee pre the restart of the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Put on the feckin football ffs

Glad I stayed up for that “analysis “
    Sean Kavanagh hates Mayo and the feeling from me is most definitely mutual

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Boyle and Carr injured today?

Surprised he didn't bring in parsons to add some height to the middle. We lost a fair bit of ball. Jordan Flynn isn't that tall is he?

We are missing boyle and zippy in their prime mopping up ball.

Surprised McLaughlin didn't get Mom though. He covered serious ground all day.

He was the best without doubt but they were never going to give it to him with the tackle. He is a serious man on the pitch

seligehgit wrote: »
    He's definitely the front runner for that position if he continues to perform in training.

Ryan O'D lacks a bit of power and physical presence. He tends to get pushed off easily. When I seen higgins come on, he has been played there before and might be an option but we really need someone with more strength to take this position. I just don't see anyone standing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Jesus he really does - I only saw clips but it looked like he had a pain in the face just acknowledging they won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Ever since the Dillon game, he’s as sour as f**k about that

https://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/118223/galway-only-themselves-to-blame-says-heartbroken-joyce-after-final-defeat

Galway only themselves to blame says heartbroken Joyce after final defeat

Proceeds to blame ref

“The officiating annoyed me. One occasion, Liam Silke had a man lying on his back. Diarmuid O’Connor came in to nail one of our players and we were denied an advantage.

“The penalty. I did not see it. Again, it was a rugby tackle.But the lads were adamant that it was inside the big square."

Ryan O'D lacks a bit of power and physical presence. He tends to get pushed off easily. When I seen higgins come on, he has been played there before and might be an option but we really need someone with more strength to take this position. I just don't see anyone standing out.

Ah agreed, certainly lacks the physicality and height but he's a very clever player.

Lots of nous to his game.

No standout candidate.All up in the air but just think he's the man in possession and has a slight edge.Zippy could do a number in there as mentioned above. Probably still has the legs for it.

I thought Mark Moran had little impact when he came on.

Green&Red wrote: »
    https://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/118223/galway-only-themselves-to-blame-says-heartbroken-joyce-after-final-defeat

Proceeds to blame ref

“The officiating annoyed me. One occasion, Liam Silke had a man lying on his back. Diarmuid O’Connor came in to nail one of our players and we were denied an advantage.

“The penalty. I did not see it. Again, it was a rugby tackle.But the lads were adamant that it was inside the big square."

What penalty incident is he referring to?

Proceeds to blame ref

The ref gave them a point when durcan timed a perfect shoulder. All BS out of them now.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    Ah agreed, certainly lacks the physicality and height but he's a very clever player.

Lots of nous to his game.

No standout candidate.All up in the air but just think he's the man in possession and has a slight edge.Zippy could do a number in there as mentioned above. Probably still has the legs for it.

I thought Mark Moran had little impact when he came on.

Yes or maybe DOC goes in there and McDonagh takes the wing. We def need someone to come in to help midfield as we lack power in there.

Ever since the Dillon game, he’s as sour as f**k about that

Ah lads, that's his normal look.

I thought he gave fair credit and (obviously enough) wasn't going to say anything about the late black card other than that's what every team would do.

Fwiw I think he was fairly thick from earlier after seeing O'Rourke trying to butcher any fairwell to Mickey Harte.

I don't mind Kavanagh at all, at least he doesn't try to hide behind the Mr. Nice Guy mask like O'Rourke does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Proceeds to blame ref

I heard him being interviewed on Midwest, in fairness to him he answered the questions that were asked and moved on quickly. He was more critical of his players than the referee.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I thought he gave fair credit and (obviously enough) wasn't going to say anything about the late black card other than that's what every team would do.

Fwiw I think he was fairly thick from earlier after seeing O'Rourke trying to butcher any fairwell to Mickey Harte.

I don't mind Kavanagh at all, at least he doesn't try to hide behind the Mr. Nice Guy mask like O'Rourke does.

Ya I didn't think he said anything too bad either. Maybe I'm softening with old age

Ya I didn't think he said anything too bad either. Maybe I'm softening with old age

He didn't, I listened back.

...Fully deserved win, a bit wasteful but fully deserved and then he went to highlight three of the new lads.

That's before he put us in the Final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

I didn't see anything wrong with what Cavanagh said either tbh. I was glad he kinda talked back to the notion that Tyrone or Mickey Harte invented cynical play.

Joyce loves talking and it's no different with the stuff out of him today. He came out with https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-30961921.html at the start so he made a rod for himself. Rookie mistake tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

Doubt Cavanagh was thick with O'Rourke about Harte's fairwell. He had enough of a job trying to pay tribute himself through rather gritted teeth; remember, it didn't end so well between the pair when Cavanagh hung up the boots. Don't think they speak now.

Re: Conroy/O Shea incident, the slo-mo makes it look rather worse than it was, whereas in real-time it *may* have been just an incidental spur-of-the-moment clash. It was as a result of a play immediately before, when it looked as if O'Shea fouled/pushed Conroy when going for the ball from a kickout. They had a jostle again when O'Shea got up after the treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Jesus he really does - I only saw clips but it looked like he had a pain in the face just acknowledging they won.
    How many buckets of hair dye did he pour on before going on air??

And as for that jacket...It looked like something even Eamonn O' Hara would turn his nose up at.

MfMan wrote: »
    Doubt Cavanagh was thick with O'Rourke about Harte's fairwell. He had enough of a job trying to pay tribute himself through rather gritted teeth; remember, it didn't end so well between the pair when Cavanagh hung up the boots. Don't think they speak now.

That's true, he did start out by putting the emphasis of the great bunch of players and I know it didn't end well but I do think there was some respect for the achievements still there. He (rightly) piped up a few times when O'Rourke was talking sh1te. Maybe he was defending his County moreso than his former Manager... but I do think he was fairly annoyed with the way O'Rourke was going on.

What penalty incident is he referring to?

The McLaughlin black card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Jesus I missed that puck on young Conroy yesterday. That clip is rotten looking. Our younger players need protecting from that type of nonsense.

In both incidents, a Galway man goes in dirty with a Mayo man already down or unable to defend himself. Pure and utter scumbag stuff and that's coming from a neutral. I'd normally be in the camp of lads can take care of themselves, especially Aidan, but jesus. Give a lad a fair dig and see how you end up.

I was watching just to see a decent game but after seeing those tweets above I'm absolutely delighted for Mayo and I'm even more happy that yer man took the black late on which seems to have pìssed off many Galway fans. Pure thuggery yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭gigantic09

dobman88 wrote: »
    Jesus I missed that puck on young Conroy yesterday. That clip is rotten looking. Our younger players need protecting from that type of nonsense.

In both incidents, a Galway man goes in dirty with a Mayo man already down or unable to defend himself. Pure and utter scumbag stuff and that's coming from a neutral. I'd normally be in the camp of lads can take care of themselves, especially Aidan, but jesus. Give a lad a fair dig and see how you end up.

I was watching just to see a decent game but after seeing those tweets above I'm absolutely delighted for Mayo and I'm even more happy that yer man took the black late on which seems to have pìssed off many Galway fans. Pure thuggery yesterday.

In fairness though it was never going to be a free flowing affair, given it was pearse stadium in the middle of winter with so much at stake for both teams. We're no angels ourselves sometimes. The league match between the two teams was like a preseason exhibition game with little intensity and we were never going to have had it that easy again.
    Great now to have the 3 weeks to get ready for Croke Park. Looks like we'll need every minute of it, but anything from now on is a bonus. The team is transitioning alot faster than I imagined it would with so many of the old guard now peripheral figures all gone altogether. Hopefully it won't be long before we can get get on the road supporting them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Delighted for this group of players that they have a Connacht title under their belt and at least a Semi Final appearance

Back throughout 2018 ad 2019 there was a certain sense that this team was finished, the old reliables were getting old and injured and there was a sense that there was no real spring of youth in the team.

Fair enough they won the league with a good mix in 2019 but the defeat to Roscommon really fecked them.

The defeat to Dublin in 2019 played out as it could have been scripted.
    A pieced together Mayo team, on their last legs, hang in there for 35 mins v Dublin but then get blown away in the 2nd half.
    The Mayo of old would hang in there for 75mins and then lose by a point.

And then look at the pre-COVID league, Galway rampant, Mayo could only scrape past Meath

But it has all turned around.
    Mayo may have been relegated but not without a fight, then they sweep aside Leitrim and Roscommon, and they get past Galway yesterday (and were the better team all day).
    And all done so with a mixture of youth and experience.
    No longer relying on the likes of Higgins, Boyle, Keegan, Doherty etc to bail them out, the young lads can bail themselves out.

Now they have a very real chance of getting to the All Ireland final.
    I don't rate Cork one bit, they did nothing v Kerry only play lateral ball and try stay in touch while Kerry imploded, and that's all that happened
    If Mayo ran at them they would punch holes, get up a head of steam that Cork would really struggle to catch up with.
    I don't know anything about Tipp.

This is beginning to remind me of 2011 and 2012.
    A team with a young age profile, getting deep in the championship when people did not expect them to and getting the experience needed to keep doing that year after year.

• Advertisement

Delighted for this group of players that they have a Connacht title under their belt and at least a Semi Final appearance

Back throughout 2018 ad 2019 there was a certain sense that this team was finished, the old reliables were getting old and injured and there was a sense that there was no real spring of youth in the team.

Fair enough they won the league with a good mix in 2019 but the defeat to Roscommon really fecked them.

The defeat to Dublin in 2019 played out as it could have been scripted.
    A pieced together Mayo team, on their last legs, hang in there for 35 mins v Dublin but then get blown away in the 2nd half.
    The Mayo of old would hang in there for 75mins and then lose by a point.

And then look at the pre-COVID league, Galway rampant, Mayo could only scrape past Meath

But it has all turned around.
    Mayo may have been relegated but not without a fight, then they sweep aside Leitrim and Roscommon, and they get past Galway yesterday (and were the better team all day).
    And all done so with a mixture of youth and experience.
    No longer relying on the likes of Higgins, Boyle, Keegan, Doherty etc to bail them out, the young lads can bail themselves out.

Now they have a very real chance of getting to the All Ireland final.
    I don't rate Cork one bit, they did nothing v Kerry only play lateral ball and try stay in touch while Kerry imploded, and that's all that happened
    If Mayo ran at them they would punch holes, get up a head of steam that Cork would really struggle to catch up with.
    I don't know anything about Tipp.

This is beginning to remind me of 2011 and 2012.
    A team with a young age profile, getting deep in the championship when people did not expect them to and getting the experience needed to keep doing that year after year.

Be under no illusion, if Cork get through against Tipp, we are in a similar game like Galway. They play so defensively that I expect a dog fight. They always seem to raise their game against us as well.

We have a few things going for us in that it will be in CP so the surface will suit our running game and the pitch allows for more open football as I always feel it is a bigger ground. I think we were a bit tired as well especially in the second half and even though Ruane got MOTM - he looked like he was not at 100%, same for Mcloughlin. If it went to extra time, I felt we could be in bother. The three weeks should have us in prime condition for the Munster champions.

I think Tipp might beat Cork .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Be under no illusion, if Cork get through against Tipp, we are in a similar game like Galway. They play so defensively that I expect a dog fight. They always seem to raise their game against us as well.

We have a few things going for us in that it will be in CP so the surface will suit our running game and the pitch allows for more open football as I always feel it is a bigger ground. I think we were a bit tired as well especially in the second half and even though Ruane got MOTM - he looked like he was not at 100%, same for Mcloughlin. If it went to extra time, I felt we could be in bother. The three weeks should have us in prime condition for the Munster champions.

I don't think they have the attacking prowess of Galway.
    Now obviously I'm just basing that on one game on a wet night but they did not look any bit interested in talking the game to Kerry.

Mayo have previously struggled to break down defensive teams, like Tyrone, but Tyrone are a fast transition team that counter attack
    I can't recall seeing any counter attack in Cork last week.

I'm certainly not dismissing them, but if Mayo can get a lead I think they may be more comfortable holding on to it that they were yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Mayo still have a problem with kick outs. Clarke is the best keeper so why not get a back to take them. Clarke could move out to take a short one and so opposition will not have a spare man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Limerick could of beaten tipp, I don't think they'll beat Cork tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

crossman47 wrote: »
    Mayo still have a problem with kick outs. Clarke is the best keeper so why not get a back to take them. Clarke could move out to take a short one and so opposition will not have a spare man.

Brings too much spotlight on the issue. No team does that. Surely would suck the confidence out of David Clarke, standing there whilst one of his backs is taking the kickout. The manager is effectively admitting to the world that he doesn't have confidence in his keeper.

And how do you reckon that any of the backs would do better. At least it's something that Clarke has been familiar with, particularly in the past 5 or 6 years when the keepers role on kickouts has become more prevalent. You cannot hand Chris Barrett the ball and say Right CHris, I want you ping that ball out on to the chest of the wing back, whilst taking account of the players running movement and speed, and also how many opposition players are likely to end up in that vicinity by the time the ball lands.

Which one of the backs could you rely on kicking off the ground? There's no way any of them would be better than Clarke, who is practicing day in day out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Rules state that if the keeper isn't taking the kickout that they have to wait in the small square.

dobman88 wrote: »

In the interest of fairness, I think DO'C left a lazy hand into a tackle, late on in the second half.

I'm sure it wouldn't look the prettiest in a tweet either. Maybe it was a little more than a hand and it mightn't have been completely lazy either, and that's ok too, I'd be firmly in the camp that you don't let another team away with the carry on Galway were at.

Seeing the crying going on about the well timed foul makes it all the sweeter.

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Which one of the backs could you rely on kicking off the ground? There's no way any of them would be better than Clarke, who is practicing day in day out.

Not that it's a realistic option but I'm sure Keegan would be well fit for it. Think it was him that hit that peach of a pass on the ground yesterday.

I don't think it's the lack of practice that is the issue with Clarke, it's the flight off the ball/his technique. His kicking style results in a ball that hangs in the air. It's not exactly easy to change a kicking style/technique.

His accuracy is pretty good, he nearly always finds his man. But you'd nearly want him kicking into open space, so at last our fielders could run onto it as well.

Iirc Rochford used that for a while. He'd have our players bunch in the middle and then attack space on our own kick outs. It was extremely effective in one big game against the Dubs, can't remember which one but I do remember we one 21 out of 22 of our own kickouts that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Not that it's a realistic option but I'm sure Keegan would be well fit for it. Think it was him that hit that peach of a pass on the ground yesterday.

I don't think it's the lack of practice that is the issue with Clarke, it's the flight off the ball/his technique. His kicking style results in a ball that hangs in the air. It's not exactly easy to change a kicking style/technique.

His accuracy is pretty good, he nearly always finds his man. But you'd nearly want him kicking into open space, so at last our fielders could run onto it as well.

Iirc Rochford used that for a while. He'd have our players bunch in the middle and then attack space on our own kick outs. It was extremely effective in one big game against the Dubs, can't remember which one but I do remember we one 21 out of 22 of our own kickouts that day.

The bunch and break kickout into space was one of the calls we had with our U15/16 team this year. Honestly looking at the kickout strategy of teams it seems that it isn't something that alot of teams seem to work on properly. Dublin and Donegal have very deliberate set plays they use for kickouts but I don't think we really do.

The last kickout out over the sideline reminded me of the AI final where Dublin dragged us all down to the ground. Clarke got the flutters and sent it straight over the Cusack sideline and game over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The bunch and break kickout into space was one of the calls we had with our U15/16 team this year. Honestly looking at the kickout strategy of teams it seems that it isn't something that alot of teams seem to work on properly. Dublin and Donegal have very deliberate set plays they use for kickouts but I don't think we really do.

The last kickout out over the sideline reminded me of the AI final where Dublin dragged us all down to the ground. Clarke got the flutters and sent it straight over the Cusack sideline and game over.

Same as. I couldn't believe it when I saw the ball floating over the players, out over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Same as. I couldn't believe it when I saw the ball floating over the players, out over the line.

I think Clarke's head (in terms of lockouts) was totally frazzled at that stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Id have an outside wager on that one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭rrs

Colin O Riordan available, which will be interesting for Tipperary. They are strong around midfield, Jack Kennedy, Stephen O Brien. Quinlivan and Sweeney class acts in the forwards

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement