Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭HBC08

Fair play to him. Thought it was a penalty for a split second. Then was thinking of a Michael Meehan situation, was relieved to see Walsh tap it over.

I was bricking it when he was lining up to take that free at the end,
    I think it was Walsh that went for goal and got it from a free against us in Limerick last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

PARlance wrote: »
    Not that it's a realistic option but I'm sure Keegan would be well fit for it. Think it was him that hit that peach of a pass on the ground yesterday.

I don't think it's the lack of practice that is the issue with Clarke, it's the flight off the ball/his technique. His kicking style results in a ball that hangs in the air. It's not exactly easy to change a kicking style/technique.

His accuracy is pretty good, he nearly always finds his man. But you'd nearly want him kicking into open space, so at last our fielders could run onto it as well.

Iirc Rochford used that for a while. He'd have our players bunch in the middle and then attack space on our own kick outs. It was extremely effective in one big game against the Dubs, can't remember which one but I do remember we one 21 out of 22 of our own kickouts that day.

I can't remember the exact game vs the Dubs either, but we almost certainly had a better physical presence and better fielders around midfield back then. Not quite the same now.

Loftus at midfield will get found out eventually imo.

We've got by Ok there so far but we're significantly weaker in the centre now compared to most other years.

Don't know enough about Cork/Tipp to say they're good enough to really target us there, but certainly in an AI Final (if we should get there), the best sides like the Dubs or Donegal will expose weak spots like this very quickly.

Is a return for Parsons likely to happen at all?

Ref? Wtf are you on about? I’ve not commented on the ref. Ref called it perfectly, my issue is with the players and the response from “fans” here applauding what a player did. You haven’t a breeze if you think my issue is with the ref.

You're a very angry man.
    It must really wind you up that you have a pure Mayo name aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

Isn’t is feckin brilliant to have an AI semi to look forward to.
    Podcasts. Newspapers
    Sure what else would ya be at on these long evenings ...... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

km79 wrote: »
    Podcasts. Newspapers

Hoovering them up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Zeek12 wrote: »
    I can't remember the exact game vs the Dubs either, but we almost certainly had a better physical presence and better fielders around midfield back then. Not quite the same now.

We've got by Ok there so far but we're significantly weaker in the centre now compared to most other years.

Don't know enough about Cork/Tipp to say they're good enough to really target us there, but certainly in an AI Final (if we should get there), the best sides like the Dubs or Donegal will expose weak spots like this very quickly.

True, we don't have the physical presence but all the more reason to be doing something to avoid an out and out fielding duel imo.

Would have to agree with Wireless, I kinda like looking into the coaching of other sports and I'm really surprised that we don't have more set plays from kick outs, in GAA in general.

I know there are probably plenty of things being worked on and that I might miss half the stuff while watching, but there does seem to be a gap there in terms of what teams should and could be doing. Such a vital part of the modern game.

Let's worry about Tipp or Cork before we start to worry about Donegal ;) And I would worry about the Semi, we've only really done just enough so far, the Rossies could have gotten back into it if they had more about them and we really sailed close to the edge yesterday.

No idea about Tom really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Zeek12 wrote: »

Wow David Clarke collected his 8th Connacht medal just shy of his 37th year!

Some man.

Neither Cork nor Tipp will be soft touches.

Cork have loads of quality footballers.Powter burst onto the scene in that famous qualifier in Limerick,Maguire is a potential powerhouse in the middle,Collins,the Hurley brothers,Deane and super sub Keane.

Mind boggles how Luke Connolly started on the bench.

Even when at their peak,our Horan mark 1,Rochford teams struggled against Cork.

Having said all that Kerry putting in a place a very negative game plan they hoped to utilise for an All Ireland final v Dublin really backfired.If they had played in a more positive fashion and pushed on for the kill I think would have won the game relatvely comfortably.

Ditto we struggled against Tipp in that All Ireland semi final,a fortuitous second goal late on putting the game beyond doubt.The qualifier in Semple stadium with a severely depleted team escaped with their life before we perished on the rock that was Newbridge or Nowhere.

Quinlavin,Sweeney,O Riordan ( now available ),Maher,Kennedy.Scrapped past a gallant Limerick outfit who were denied a stonewall penalty and missed a relative gimme free to force extra time.

As mobile as Matthew Ruane in particular is and his undoubted march to becoming a top truly quality midfielder,he is not known for his ability to win primary possession.I worry about his partnership and in particular Conor Loftus's ability to compete with the Ian Maguire's,Kennedy's,Murphy's and any 2 of the 3 of Fenton ( the best midfielder in the country bar none ),Howard,Mc Carthy or whoever else is i lar na pairce.

Podcasts. Newspapers

Loving the podcasts.Heaven!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

seligehgit wrote: »
    Wow David Clarke collected his 8th Connacht medal just shy of his 37th year!

Some man.

Neither Cork nor Tipp will be soft touches.

Cork have loads of quality footballers.Powter burst onto the scene in that famous qualifier in Limerick,Maguire is a potential powerhouse in the middle,Collins,the Hurley brothers,Deane and super sub Keane.

Mind boggles how Luke Connolly started on the bench.

Even when at their peak,our Horan mark 1,Rochford teams struggled against Cork.

Having said all that Kerry putting in a place a very negative game plan they hoped to utilise for an All Ireland final v Dublin really backfired.If they had played in a more positive fashion and pushed on for the kill I think would have won the game relatvely comfortably.

Ditto we struggled against Tipp in that All Ireland semi final,a fortuitous second goal late on putting the game beyond doubt.The qualifier in Semple stadium with a severely depleted team escaped with their life before we perished on the rock that was Newbridge or Nowhere.

Quinlavin,Sweeney,O Riordan ( now available ),Maher,Kennedy.Scrapped past a gallant Limerick outfit who were denied a stonewall penalty and missed a relative gimme free to force extra time.

As mobile as Matthew Ruane in particular is and his undoubted march to becoming a top truly quality midfielder,he is not known for his ability to win primary possession.I worry about his partnership and in particular Conor Loftus's ability to compete with the Ian Maguire's,Kennedy's,Murphy's and any 2 of the 3 of Fenton ( the best midfielder in the country bar none ),Howard,Mc Carthy or whoever else is i lar na pairce.

I think Clarke has 9 Connacht medals, although some were as a sub. 04, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 20.

• Advertisement

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    I think Clarke has 9 Connacht medals, although some were as a sub. 04, 06, 09, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 20.

I was too lazy to do the calculations.

Can't recall that he was marked absent/injured for any of those wins.

Relying on Mike Finnerty on the podcast.

Ceapaim go bhfuil an ceart agat.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭Cartman78

What are the best GAA podcasts at the moment?

I listen to the GAA Hour mainly these days but wouldn't mind broadening my menu

Cartman78 wrote: »
    What are the best GAA podcasts at the moment?

I listen to the GAA Hour mainly these days but wouldn't mind broadening my menu

On the money with The GAA Hour

Mayo News is very good

Ditto OTB GAA

Just subscribed to Second Captains

Game On is average enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Ah Refs podcast is a good listen too.

On the money with The GAA Hour

Mayo News is very good

Ditto OTB GAA

Just subscribed to Second Captains

Game On is average enough.

I would substitute Ah Ref in there for Game On.
    The Mayo News is my favourite but maybe that's because its the first podcast I listened to regularly.
    Nothing like putting it on the Monday after a win even a league win,the opening chords of that tune and I'm tapping the foot,puts me in a good mood for the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I don't know where ye get the time to be listening to Podcasts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

So what are we supposed to do for the next 3 weeks ...........
    After the back door shenanigans of 2016-2019 we are so used of being on the road and games in quick succession. I have to say the traditional route of 3 weeks between matches really takes the wind out of the sails .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,736 ✭✭✭Cartman78

The days are long lately working from home in a dark empty house..... listening to fellas shyting on about the Mayo half back line helps fill the void :-)

Just listening to the Mayo News one now....I was subscribed to it before but must have lost it when I changed phone or something. It's a great listen in fairness....the lads are so passionate and earnest....and God help us, you can just get a sense of that little kernel of hope building yet again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Semi Final Champions

The Mayo news Podcast is excellent even if they are a bit deluded at times. Its great to hear the hype build.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Music Box

The Mayo news Podcast is excellent even if they are a bit deluded at times. Its great to hear the hype build.
    Which Semi Final are you the champion of? It must be recent, you have only 2 posts so far

Music Box wrote: »
    Which Semi Final are you the champion of? It must be recent, you have only 2 posts so far

Its a long story, a very long story. I wont bore you!

• Advertisement

Yes it's a very good podcast.

Deluded so you say,care to expand?

I find it quite grounded in general.

Where's all this hype you speak of?:rolleyes:

Yes it's a very good podcast.

Deluded so you say,care to expand?

I find it quite grounded in general.

Where's all this hype you speak of?:rolleyes:

Am I in some kind of trouble?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Am I in some kind of trouble?

Why would you be?

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Why would you be?

I sense hostility

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I sense hostility

How so?

It's a simple question for a new poster with your interesting username whose majority of posts are in the Mayo thread.

No hostility here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

I sense hostility
    5cm2x7.gif

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    How so?

It's a simple question for a new poster with your interesting username whose majority of posts are in the Mayo thread.

No hostility here.

I now feel love!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Did anyone happen to notice the gloves Keith Higgins was wearing when he came on?
    They caught my nephew's eye and he wants a pair as a Christmas present.

I can't make out a brand name and never saw the design before.

To be honest, they looked like Adidas goalkeeping gloves to me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Did anyone happen to notice the gloves Keith Higgins was wearing when he came on?

To be honest, they looked like Adidas goalkeeping gloves to me!

God bless his eyesight!

I would doubt they were goalkeepers gloves, DB Sports have a lot of players wearing their gloves and an image search (below link) shows Keith wearing them previously... but I'm sure they get sent all sorts so it may not have been the brand he was wearing on Sunday.

https://www.newstalk.com/sport/roscommons-donie-smith-hit-one-match-ban-482236

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

padd b1975 wrote: »

They're the navy and white DB sports ones: https://dbsportsgloves.com/collections/gloves/products/navy-and-white-db-sports-gloves

Spotted them on the sportsfile pics: https://www.sportsfile.com/id/1956146/ and https://www.sportsfile.com/id/1956138/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I listen to them on the drive to work or when I'm out walking the dog. Passes the time and it's interesting listening to the analysis.

I don’t know if I’d be recommending the gloves Higgins was wearing Sunday :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Podcasts. Newspapers

Posting in the Mayo thread :)

BTW don't rise to the new poster. Someone has returned to try rile us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Manzoor14 wrote: »
    Great find, thanks!

Not too expensive either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Green&Red wrote: »

Listened back to back the preview and review of the Mayo News podcast while been blown around Westport quay last night. It was excellent as usual.
    Wonder is Ed Mc a member here :)
    Thought the Galway lad, I can never remember his name, is really good and honest with his assessment and actually called it pretty well in the preview.
    Padden is a decent pundit also.

Its light hearted and interesting. Hats off to them for it.

Who are we calling for the 3 provincials?
    Can't see past Donegal winning by 6-7.
    I really do see Meath given Dublin a run for it for the first 50-60 mins but fitness and bench should see them have a 3-4 point win. It will be the first big test they have had in a lot of months.
    Cork should win, but Tipp have a decent set of players and if they get a run at them then who knows.

For us, to get Cork should be a bigger test which I'd prefer to get, as long as we win it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

yop wrote: »
    Listened back to back the preview and review of the Mayo News podcast while been blown around Westport quay last night. It was excellent as usual.
    Wonder is Ed Mc a member here :)
    Thought the Galway lad, I can never remember his name, is really good and honest with his assessment and actually called it pretty well in the preview.
    Padden is a decent pundit also.

Its light hearted and interesting. Hats off to them for it.

Who are we calling for the 3 provincials?
    Can't see past Donegal winning by 6-7.
    I really do see Meath given Dublin a run for it for the first 50-60 mins but fitness and bench should see them have a 3-4 point win. It will be the first big test they have had in a lot of months.
    Cork should win, but Tipp have a decent set of players and if they get a run at them then who knows.

For us, to get Cork should be a bigger test which I'd prefer to get, as long as we win it!

Probably Barry Cullinane. That's who they used to have on it anyway. I have gotten out of habit of listening to it this year. However, I agree with other posters above who say it is a very good podcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

With work from home ive lost track of all the usual podcasts. what used to be a 2 hour commute is now 5 minutes. I need to make time for it somewhere!

• Advertisement

Probably Barry Cullinane. That's who they used to have on it anyway. I have gotten out of habit of listening to it this year. However, I agree with other posters above who say it is a very good podcast.

Thats him yes. Intelligent pundit. Its refreshing to hear his honest side of both teams.
    Conroy 12 yrs with Galway, since the age of 18 when he scored against us down here to win it. As much as he likes the "dark arts" (who we have as well) you have to applaud that he has changed his physique to suit the changing game.

muddle84 wrote: »
    With work from home ive lost track of all the usual podcasts. what used to be a 2 hour commute is now 5 minutes. I need to make time for it somewhere!

Exact same as u with no commutes to Galway to work. I got an internet radio where I can stream the podcasts. Good to get back to them again.
    Dunphy does a decent podcast on sports and politics.

That's so funny! I'm in stiche's, roll on the All Ireland Semi final I know we can be champions again!

That's so funny! I'm in stiche's, roll on the All Ireland Semi final I know we can be champions again!

Welcome back Peter, this must be a tough week for you so you said you'd come up with a new alias and set yourself up for when Mayo lose.

Its a clever ploy Peter, very clever, so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a fox

Welcome back Peter, this must be a tough week for you so you said you'd come up with a new alias and set yourself up for when Mayo lose.

Its a clever ploy Peter, very clever, so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a fox

The fox is in the hen house!

The fox is in the hen house!

Well you certainly have us thick Mayo folk fooled Peter

There’ll be some craic when we lose to the dubs and you can have the last laugh, won’t there Peter?

Some craic is right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Manzoor14 wrote: »

Interesting side note, DB gloves are a small company run by two Corofin senior footballers

Nice to see some bans being thrown around here for trolling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Interesting side note, DB gloves are a small company run by two Corofin senior footballers

There's another Company called DE Sports that do gloves and gear, owned by a lad from Pullathomas. Do similar stuff. Worth a look, no harm to check out what the local offering is.

https://www.facebook.com/DESportswear/

Nice to see some bans being thrown around here for trolling

It sure is
    I’m on a yellow for fouling Mark Moran off the ball :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement