Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

BandMember wrote: »
    I don't see the likes of Cillian, Seamie or any of the casualty list playing in this one, but hopefully we will have a full panel ready for the next game.
    RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Cillian will definitely be playing in New York. He's back fit now but is badly lacking match practice.
    My thinking would be that Horan won't be risking any player he doesn't need to (especially the ones coming back from injury) on what is a rock hard surface - high/hard impact like that is the last thing those lads need.

@RedDevil: I hate to say "I told you so", but..... ;):p

As for the game itself, pretty much as expected. NY were absolutely rotten and looked like they had done absolutely nothing to prepare for the game or trained at all. Even their intercounty players looked miles off the pace. Ruane went off holding his hamstring, so fingers crossed that it's not serious! Other than that, mission accomplished and no (other) injuries or suspensions. The only thing to be concerned about was the amount of simple mistakes, and sloppy ones at that. I know it was a hard game to get tuned in for, but the amount of simple unforced errors were incredibly frustrating and something they will not get away with in any other game this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

@RedDevil: I hate to say "I told you so", but..... ;):p

As for the game itself, pretty much as expected. NY were absolutely rotten and looked like they had done absolutely nothing to prepare for the game or trained at all. Even their intercounty players looked miles off the pace. Ruane went off holding his hamstring, so fingers crossed that it's not serious! Other than that, mission accomplished and no (other) injuries or suspensions. The only thing to be concerned about was the amount of simple mistakes, and sloppy ones at that. I know it was a hard game to get tuned in for, but the amount of simple unforced errors were incredibly frustrating and something they will not get away with in any other game this summer.

Even from the way the manager was talking before the match, it sounded like they had nothing done. He was pretty defeatist in pre-match comments, I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

What do you guys make of the Connacht GAA charging 5 euro extra for the semi final on May 25th than Sunday's other semi final in Sligo? On the day prices for the stand tickets is 35 euro a price normally reserved for a provincial final...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭Beagslife

10,000 headed to NY. They can well afford it!!! 😎✈ðŸ»ðŸ‘

I would feel sorry for the poor Rossie's though. They didn't even get a trip to London.

😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

What do you guys make of the Connacht GAA charging 5 euro extra for the semi final on May 25th than Sunday's other semi final in Sligo? On the day prices for the stand tickets is 35 euro a price normally reserved for a provincial final...

Personally think Mayo fans are being exploited. This happened for the Galway games last year as well.

• Advertisement

Also the print at home option is no longer there either. Have to pay for delivery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The 1st championship game is free for season ticket holders. Probably trying to make up the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Totally unacceptable.

Latest team news courtesy of the Mayo News.

Mayo manager James Horan confirmed to Mayo News Sport tonight that Diarmuid O Connor has been passed fit to line out against Roscommon on Saturday week in the Connacht SFC semi final.
    The Mayo captain missed the win over New York due to a fractured eye socket.

Cillian O Connor will not be ready to feature in the Roscommon game as he continues his rehab from last December's knee operation.

Seamie O Shea (ankle) will also miss the semi final while Fionn McDonagh (quad) and Donie Vaughan (hamstring) are 'touch and go' at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,260 ✭✭✭✭km79

We are VERY light around midfield now
    Also could do with Cillian getting game time

• Advertisement

Also the print at home option is no longer there either. Have to pay for delivery.

This is beyond stupid. Cavan v Monaghan in Breffni Park on Saturday has a print at home option on tickets.ie. Why not this match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

That's a glitch on the website. (Both not being able to print your own tickets & having to pay for delivery.) It happened to a couple of games last year too. Give them a ring or email them. They may not even know there's a problem, or be all that arsed about fixing it if enough people don't complain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

seligehgit wrote: »
    Cillian O Connor will not be ready to feature in the Roscommon game as he continues his rehab from last December's knee operation.

Well this isn't good. next to no chance of him starting against Galway surely if get through Ros now

Jeez Breaffy you had one job last October!! :pac:

I wonder when Cillian will be expected back? I guess December isn't that long ago to have had surgery. He's had that knee problem for years now.

PressRun wrote: »
    I wonder when Cillian will be expected back? I guess December isn't that long ago to have had surgery. He's had that knee problem for years now.

Yeah if Ballintubber had lost in Mayo he'd be back by this stage I'm sure

Its surely a worry though, if he can't feature at all against Ros. As I say, that would surely rule him out of a start v Galway, if both teams progress.

That said if mayo can win Connacht without him, maybe his loss isn't as big a factor as I thought

Should have enough without him for Roscommon, but its hard to see how he wouldn't be a massive loss though against a Galway team who are likely to turn it into a low scoring slog, as has worked very well for them in fairness. Every point will be extremely valuable, and for free-taking alone I worry for Mayo without him.

Forgot to post on Friday night re our minors win v Leitrim in round 1 of the Connacht championship.

Mayo 1-20 Leitrim 0-6

We're out again v Roscommon next Friday night at 19.30 in Mac Hale Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Forgot to post on Friday night re our minors win v Leitrim in round 1 of the Connacht championship.

Mayo 1-20 Leitrim 0-6

I think i seen it elsewhere that game is switched to Ballina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

seligehgit wrote:

Why isn't it on before the senior game?

Why isn't it on before the senior game?

Junior maybe?

jr86 wrote: »
    Junior maybe?

Yeah the juniors are playing Leitrim at 16.30 before the seniors.

Making sense if the minors game has been moved to Ballina as the officials will likely want to keep the pitch pristine.

• Advertisement

Anyone think there could be a bit of bite to the game next weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,260 ✭✭✭✭km79

PressRun wrote: »
    Anyone think there could be a bit of bite to the game next weekend?

Absolutely
    By all accounts the Rossies are well able to give it out this year !

I wouldn't be surprised if they've had their eye on this particular match since the beginning of the year. I don't see it being a walk over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

km79 wrote: »
    Absolutely
    By all accounts the Rossies are well able to give it out this year !

When they can’t play football they have to be good at something.
    1st half will be hell for leather I’d say with hits going in all over the place.
    Surly to god we have plenty in the tank to push them aside when we need to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

In Dublin having a coffee and in walk half the Dublin panel. Seem to be meeting in advance of a funeral by the sounds of it so I won't start a fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Good call. Anton O'Toole's funeral is this afternoon,

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Good call. Anton O'Toole's funeral is this afternoon,

Yip that was it, got chatting to a couple who were attending the funeral after that. They seemed to think his father (or maybe mother, they weren't sure which one) was from Mayo so there's a link to this thread. RIP.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

PARlance wrote: »
    Yip that was it, got chatting to a couple who were attending the funeral after that. They seemed to think his father (or maybe mother, they weren't sure which one) was from Mayo so there's a link to this thread. RIP.

Father link is in Claremorris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

yop wrote: »

Father link is in Claremorris.

His dad played for Garrymore. Anton had a strong link to the area I believe. Seen some pictures of the man himself bringing Sam back to Garrymore going around during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Simplyjoe

I have read elsewhere that his father played on the first Garrymore Team ever in 1935(?). He visited Garrymore with the Sam Maguire. His grandfather was involved with the club at the time. The Brogan brothers grandfather came from Claremorris. Anton was a class player.

It's many a day since I can remember as quiet a build up to a championship game.

Hopefully the lovely weather will hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

naughto wrote: »
    When they can’t play football they have to be good at something.
    1st half will be hell for leather I’d say with hits going in all over the place.
    Surly to god we have plenty in the tank to push them aside when we need to

Chat like this is why a lot of people can't warm to some Mayo fans.

That said, I can't see us taking Mayo out. seligehgit is right, this is the quietest buildup I can remember for a good few years. Maybe it's from residual memory of the 2017 hammering in the replay at Croker.

Hoping (as usual) that Roscommon can stay in the game until late on and maybe a few jitters will creep in. Horrific record at McHale Park and don't see that changing this weekend unfortunately.

It's many a day since I can remember as quiet a build up to a championship game.

Hopefully the lovely weather will hold.

There certainly doesn't seem to be much chat.
    I feel anyway that it could certainly be touch and go if any complacency creeps in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Simplyjoe wrote: »
    I have read elsewhere that his father played on the first Garrymore Team ever in 1935(?). He visited Garrymore with the Sam Maguire. His grandfather was involved with the club at the time. The Brogan brothers grandfather came from Claremorris. Anton was a class player.

The Brogans came from Sraheen near Foxford. Bernard Snr was a first cousin of Padraig Brogan who played for Mayo in the 80s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I'd be very disappointed and it would be a big come down after a good league campaign if Mayo did not dispense with Roscommon with some ease.

I'm not necessarily on about opening a can of whoop ass on them but certainly I expect Mayo to win with a bit to spare and that the game would never be in doubt.

Yes Roscommon have probably eyed this game a long way off but Mayo are a top 3 team, have won the league that Roscommon got relegated from, are playing and home where Roscommon have had a dismal record for decades, and under James Horan have never done complacency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Panrich wrote: »
    The Brogans came from Sraheen near Foxford. Bernard Snr was a first cousin of Padraig Brogan who played for Mayo in the 80s.

Still the greatest GAA goal of all time.

I'd be very disappointed and it would be a big come down after a good league campaign if Mayo did not dispense with Roscommon with some ease.

I'm not necessarily on about opening a can of whoop ass on them but certainly I expect Mayo to win with a bit to spare and that the game would never be in doubt.

Yes Roscommon have probably eyed this game a long way off but Mayo are a top 3 team, have won the league that Roscommon got relegated from, are playing and home where Roscommon have had a dismal record for decades, and under James Horan have never done complacency.

We don't have a great record there ourselves as of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Sadly true............. shame that it went to his head as everyone told him that.

In fairness Roscommon had a better 2018 than Mayo and while the league win was most welcome for Mayo this year, if we're totally honest, it was still a mixed enough campaign (certainly until Kerry in Tralee)

Roscommon made the last 8 for the past 2 seasons running, so it would be imprudent to underestimate them.

That said I fancy Mayo to do enough, but I can see it being a frustrating enough evening.

Mayo have struggled to beat worse teams than Roscommon in recent years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

My favourite ever moment in Croke Park. Have tried to replicate the celebratory jump many times since, hands on the head. Some bullet of a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Any decent pub recommendations to watch the match in Dublin City centre on Saturday ?

Bearing in mind it clashes with the Leinster game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Ill be parked up on the Ballinrobe Road from early Saturday, i presume i can just shoot up MacHale Road at about 6pm (on foot obv) to the entrance? ie there wont be any barricades, etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I don't know if others feel this way but Horan really pushes an confidence to his teams against previous managers.

Speaking to RTE Sport ahead of this Saturday’s Connacht SFC semi-final date with Roscommon at MacHale Park, he revealed that he regularly taps into the “experience and knowledge” that exists in his playing squad.

“Some of my attention before was directed at stuff that wasn't important but I think I have a better balance now on what I need to focus on that will best help the team,” he remarked.

“The team have a huge amount of experience and knowledge of top level sport and if you don't use that experience you're daft.

“It's just about working together to see where we want to go and what we can achieve.

“All we are trying to do now is to wrap it up in a big performance against Roscommon. It's a challenge we're genuinely looking forward to.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Sadly true............. shame that it went to his head as everyone told him that.

I don’t think that’s a fair reflection of the truth. The man has had some issues and I don’t believe any of it to be as a result of the feedback he received on a goal he scored.

Rockfish wrote: »
    Ill be parked up on the Ballinrobe Road from early Saturday, i presume i can just shoot up MacHale Road at about 6pm (on foot obv) to the entrance? ie there wont be any barricades, etc

I don't believe there are ever barricades blocking pedestrians gaining entry to Mac Hale Road.

So you should be sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

I don't believe there are ever barricades blocking pedestrians gaining entry to Mac Hale Road.

So you should be sound.

Thanks, ya didnt think so but just checking, must be 30 years since i went in that way :)

threein99 wrote: »
    Any decent pub recommendations to watch the match in Dublin City centre on Saturday ?

Bearing in mind it clashes with the Leinster game

That's a hard enough call, the rugby will get prioritised in most of the smaller pubs. Somewhere like The Mercantile on Dame St has enough rooms/tvs to show it but I would be checking it out in advance. Doyle's have plenty of TVs dotted around as well.

Anyone else order tickets through tickets.ie still waiting on their delivery?

That's a hard enough call, the rugby will get prioritised in most of the smaller pubs. Somewhere like The Mercantile on Dame St has enough rooms/tvs to show it but I would be checking it out in advance. Doyle's have plenty of TVs dotted around as well.

Kehoes generally always show GAA in my experience, regardless of what else is on. You'll do well to see the full game properly though, as its busy on saturday evenings at this time of year and the tvs are small out the front

Sinnotts will show it somewhere but may have a big crowd in for Rugby. Its a bit depressing in there on a summer's evening though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,244 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I cannot see anything other than a handy enough win for Mayo. That said any complacency and it could be dodgy enough. Last weekend Cavan who were also relegated took out Monaghan who were in a AI Semi last year. Lots of difference between Cavan v Monaghan and Mayo v Roscommon in that Monaghan had a poor league that faded after their first game v Dublin and they had key players missing due to injuries, plus Cavan are now back-boned by many of their U21`s that recently win 4 Ulster`s. Still and all, especially in championship any complacency and a slow start can make underdogs a tricky proposition.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement