Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

The Ah Ref podcast has been excellent this week, four episodes released so far. The former P. R.O one was good, interesting to hear what it's like behind the scenes. They had Enda Varley on as well, another good listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Supporter

Dublin are on a 40 match unbeaten run in the Championship. They are 9/2 favorites with the bookies for Saturday. Ciaran Whelan was talking up Mayo on Sunday Game, Alan Brogan, Pillar Caffrey and Dessie Farrell have come out in the media also talking up Mayo. Why do no former Mayo Players in the Media talk up Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭spakman

Dublin are on a 40 match unbeaten run in the Championship. They are 9/2 favorites with the bookies for Saturday. Ciaran Whelan was talking up Mayo on Sunday Game, Alan Brogan, Pillar Caffrey and Dessie Farrell have come out in the media also talking up Mayo. Why do no former Mayo Players in the Media talk up Dublin?

It's hardly needed. Nobody is saying they realistically think we'll win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

It shows where Dublin are mentally now. In 2016 and 2017 ex players were all going on complaining about Keegan and the antics he got up to and how Mayo were cynical. That was a sign that they were a bit worried going in to those games. They no longer have any concerns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Panrich wrote: »
    It shows where Dublin are mentally now. In 2016 and 2017 ex players were all going on complaining about Keegan and the antics he got up to and how Mayo were cynical. That was a sign that they were a bit worried going in to those games. They no longer have SHOW any concerns.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Why do no former Mayo Players in the Media talk up Dublin?

Because they know it would not be helpful to Mayo to do that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Why on earth would they? Nobody needs to talk them up, we know what they are

I think we are approaching it the right way. This year has all been about focusing and performing on the pitch and leaving the media to the pundits. I think COVID has been a blessing in disguise where the players don’t have the same opportunities to engage at public events(and sound bites taken and splashed all over the media) like in previous years, it keeps them grounded as we all know a few of them that really need that ;)

PressRun wrote: »
    I find it the best of the podcasts. Good mix of all sports there. Andy and Oisin McConville are the regular guests they have on for the GAA. I'd say Oisin will be on the Irish Examiner podcast this week to talk about the game, a lot of the same talking points will probably come up there too.

I’m eagerly awaiting the GAA hour podcast, should be out today.

Another casualty of COVID is the podcast roadshows. I have good memories at one in Castlebar Mitchels a few years ago where interestingly enough Horan was one of the panelist’s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Green&Red wrote: »
    Thats a terrible song

Jimmy Sloyan inspired song?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    I’m eagerly awaiting the GAA hour podcast, should be out today.

Another casualty of COVID is the podcast roadshows. I have good memories at one in Castlebar Mitchels a few years ago where interestingly enough Horan was one of the panelist’s

I used to really like that podcast but following wooly on twitter has really put me off him and the show. He is in the middle of a spat with buff egan at the moment, not to mention his commentary on the Covid restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Not your typical Mayo GAA song, :pac: love this. Anyone able to embed it for me?

https://youtu.be/ukg3xv9r4Ko

The songs and tales of four rambunctious boys from Mayo currently residing in Galway.

STRAIGHTPOUR
    Four noisy boys from the west of Ireland
    Punk/Grunge with a Guinness head

This is great!

Much better than some of the ridiculous gombeen crap that's out there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Not your typical Mayo GAA song, :pac: love this. Anyone able to embed it for me?

The songs and tales of four rambunctious boys from Mayo currently residing in Galway.

STRAIGHTPOUR

That's actually pretty good. I appreciate it won't suit all tastes but my own is quite varied, I enjoy stuff from Puccini to the Prodigy and a lot in between.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This is great!

Much better than some of the ridiculous gombeen crap that's out there!

Absolutely
    I avoid all of the usual songs in the leadup to a final but I watched that one, brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    I have good memories at one in Castlebar Mitchels a few years ago where interestingly enough Horan was one of the panelist’s

Ha! I remember that! Someone asked him what really happened between him and Conor Mortimer.

Woolly is a strange one. He asks good questions and can be quite forthright in a way that's refreshing, but he's also very gobby and seems to find it hard to stay in his own lane or resist and argument. Seems to thrive on a bit of drama.

• Advertisement

Ha! I remember that! Someone asked him what really happened between him and Conor Mortimer.

Woolly is a strange one. He asks good questions and can be quite forthright in a way that's refreshing, but he's also very gobby and seems to find it hard to stay in his own lane or resist and argument. Seems to thrive on a bit of drama.

You've summed him up pretty good there.

That show in Mitchels was brilliant stuff in fairness! Not being on the road as much this year means i don't get time to listen to all the podcasts so the GAA hour is way down the pecking list as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

muddle84 wrote: »
    I used to really like that podcast but following wooly on twitter has really put me off him and the show. He is in the middle of a spat with buff egan at the moment, not to mention his commentary on the Covid restrictions.

Indeed that craic with Buff was unpleasant.

Uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Same as that. Used to listen to every show. Now, I might listen to an occasional one. He failed to freshen up that show and it's gone stale now. Same voices. And it usually follows the pattern of Wooly saying something and then Conan & Cian agreeing with him. They need opposing voices to Wooly on it. Actually, maybe they should bring Buff on to achieve that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

seligehgit wrote: »
    Indeed that craic with Buff was unpleasant.

Uncalled for.

Buff is an absolute clown. Wolly is worse for getting dragged into a spat with him. Of course Buff then goes with the mental health card angle. I'm sure there is a good reason why he doesn't have a platform beyond facebook and instagram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

I used to really like that podcast but following **** on twitter has really put me off him and the show. He is in the middle of a spat with buff egan at the moment, not to mention his commentary on the Covid restrictions.

Dont even mention his name or click on anything to do with him!
    I tune out and turn off anything he's on.
    Thats the only way media will stop using him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

From personal experience l find him a nasty arsehole but that’s just my personal opinion

From reading him on Twitter he seems to think he has a level of intelligence that’s far beyond what he actually has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The IFI have put up highlights footage of Mayo's last All-Ireland win in 1951. Almost seems like a different sport. Doesn't seem like soloing the ball was much of a thing at that point? Not a whole lot of passing going on either, just hoofing of the ball up and down the field. Nobody seemed to hold the ball in possession for any length of time really. Then at the end, Sean Flanagan has a cigarette in his hand as he's being given the Sam Maguire! It would really hammer home just how long it's been since we last won one. The game has transformed so much since then.

https://ifiplayer.ie/gaa-football-1951/

"Great speed and dash", plenty of that is what we need on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

It's not a good state of affairs when Brady has lost the faith and is saying that he doesn't think Mayo will win... Normally, he'd be on every media outlet possible the week of a final telling anyone who would listen to him just how much Mayo were going win by....

https://www.independent.ie/sport/columnists/the-three-conditions-mayo-need-to-fulfil-to-overcome-the-greatest-team-of-all-time-39875783.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

BandMember wrote: »
    It's not a good state of affairs when Brady has lost the faith and is saying that he doesn't think Mayo will win... Normally, he'd be on every media outlet possible the week of a final telling anyone who would listen to him just how much Mayo were going win by....

https://www.independent.ie/sport/columnists/the-three-conditions-mayo-need-to-fulfil-to-overcome-the-greatest-team-of-all-time-39875783.html

Reverse psychology I'd guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Reverse psychology I'd guess.

Best one was in 2017 AI SF Dublin v Tyrone. David Brady on radio was bullish that Tyrone really could do it. How he really believed it. Plus he went to say how Con O'Callaghan could be 'got at' because he was inexperienced. Con scored a goal and a point within 3 minutes finished with 1-2.

Brady's answer at FT 'ah sure you have to have a bit of craic with these things'

If I was from Mayo I don't know who would be more embarrassed by 'Superfan' Tim O'Leary' or 'Super analyst' David Brady.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Supporter

Dublin are on a 40 match unbeaten run in the Championship. Mayo have not beaten Dublin in 15 games (last win for Mayo was in 2012). Mayo have a young inexperienced team. No wonder Dublin are 2/9 favourites.

Dublin are on a 40 match unbeaten run in the Championship. Mayo have not beaten Dublin in 15 games (last win for Mayo was in 2012). Mayo have a young inexperienced team. No wonder Dublin are 2/9 favourites.

I think it will be Dublin by about 8 maybe, unless Mayo play out of their skins and Dublin have an off day. Stranger things have happened in sport though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

my thinking everything has to go right for mayo and we need that bit of luck and even then it still might not be enough.

Be interesting to see how dessie Farrell reacts on the sidelines if he has decisions to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Irish Examiner podcast is an interesting listen. They were trying to come up with scenarios that could benefit Mayo, though none of them really give us a chance. Eamon Fitz picked us for the win in the end, but I think that was just to mix it up a bit as everyone else was going for Dublin haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

As I said at school today, we need the average for rating for Mayo players to be 9+ and Dublin to be 8. Also the smile from lady luck needs to shine brightly on us as well.

• Advertisement

As I said at school today, we need the average for rating for Mayo players to be 9+ and Dublin to be 8. Also the smile from lady luck needs to shine brightly on us as well.

If any county deserves a bit of luck by the law of averages it has to be Mayo.
    Constantly knocking on the door. Overall they have to be one of the most consistent teams in the country over the last 15-20 years.

I remember further back watching the 1996 final Mayo v Meath. And shouting for Mayo. Roaring at the telly when the ball bounced and went over for Meath to get the replay. I mean what were the odds of that happening?

STRAIGHTPOUR

That's very good. Thanks for sharing it. Never mind the negative comments. If they listened to the chorus of the fckn 'Green and red of Mayo' for 10 years they can put up with this for a few weeks.

MWR match preview presented by Michael D Mc Andrew now broadcasting.

I think it will be Dublin by about 8 maybe, unless Mayo play out of their skins and Dublin have an off day. Stranger things have happened in sport though.

I think Dublin will get a sharp shock on Saturday. Mayo will hit them hard and the Dubs won't have the Croke park atmosphere to fire them back up.
    I think the Sunday post mortem will belong to Dublin.
    If the Dublin players are going to give up their long winning streak, they would rather to lose it to Mayo than any other county.

If the Dublin players are going to give up their long winning streak, they would rather to lose it to Mayo than any other county.

Agreed 100% as long as it not Kerry or Meath!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I think Dublin will get a sharp shock on Saturday. Mayo will hit them hard and the Dubs won't have the Croke park atmosphere to fire them back up.

They don't want to lose it fullstip, they're not gonna try less cos they're playing mayo

Connacht minor semi final on Sunday @ 14.00.

Mayo v Sligo

Venue Centre of Excellence

Live stream Connacht GAA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Mayo won’t have that atmosphere either, there’s no doubt that on All Ireland final day the majority of the crowd is in Mayos favour. Dublin know exactly what to expect from Mayo, they’ll be ready & I doubt they’d be happy to lose that run to Mayo either, there’s no love lost between the two!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Agreed 100% as long as it not Kerry or Meath!

Can’t agree, Mayo are the last team I want to see Dublin beaten by.

• Advertisement

Can't link the article but glad tidings for Parlance.:D

Breaffy/Breaghwy has now been renamed Ballintubber according to the Connacht Telegraph.

A case of a misplaced sign!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I come in peace as a Galwegian. Wishing ye the very best of luck on Saturday, from the bottom of my heart.

I adore the summer trips to Castlebar and the Hyde as much as clashes with Tipp and the Cats in the small ball. It'd be a serious boost for Connacht football if Mayo made the breakthrough to stop the money juggernaut Dubs. It'd also be criminal if warriors like Keith Higgins and Colm Boyle never get a celtic cross.

Ye're the last hope of keeping the intercounty alive so I think even a few Rossies would begrudgingly wish ye while :pac:

EICVD wrote: »
    Can’t agree, Mayo are the last team I want to see Dublin beaten by.

I dunno other choices are those northern teams Donegal or Tyrone.

When you think of it if Mayo win it will be replayed for god knows how many years. Plus because of that people will start look up 'that dublin team' they beat to see if they are any good.
    Kind of like when Kerry were beaten by Offaly in 82.
    Only difference is Dublin will already have the record.

If Mayo did beat Dublin, in a way it would add to this Dublin teams 'folklore'. If that makes any sense. More than a six in row would in my opinion!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Big Back Clock

I dunno other choices are those northern teams Donegal or Tyrone.

When you think of it if Mayo win it will be replayed for god knows how many years. Plus because of that people will start look up 'that dublin team' they beat to see if they are any good.
    Kind of like when Kerry were beaten by Offaly in 82.
    Only difference is Dublin will already have the record.

If Mayo did beat Dublin, in a way it would add to this Dublin teams 'folklore'. If that makes any sense. More than a six in row would in my opinion!

“Those northern teams”

:D:D:D

EICVD wrote: »
    Mayo won’t have that atmosphere either, there’s no doubt that on All Ireland final day the majority of the crowd is in Mayos favour. Dublin know exactly what to expect from Mayo, they’ll be ready & I doubt they’d be happy to lose that run to Mayo either, there’s no love lost between the two!

Home advantage is a real thing, it's not a myth.
    Look at any of the sporting leagues throughout the world.

On Saturday, for the first time in an all Ireland final, Dublin will play without that advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

seligehgit wrote: »
    Can't link the article but glad tidings for Parlance.:D

Breaffy/Breaghwy has now been renamed Ballintubber according to the Connacht Telegraph.

A case of a misplaced sign!

You only listed 2 of the 25 ways to spell it.

My money is in HornBall throwing up the sign, but then again, so many of them aspired to, and indeed made the move to Breaffy like him, it could be any of the Tubber blowins!

Seeing them cheer on the blue and white, albeit at U6 or U8.... a thing of beauty :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭spakman

On Saturday, for the first time in an all Ireland final, Dublin will play without that advantage.

The match is still in Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Don't know about that. In the 2016 replay it was nearly a case of spot the Dub in the audience. I'm guessing 75% of the crowd must have been from Mayo and the noise when Keegan scored was probably the loudest i've ever heard at a game.

Because there were more Mayo supporters does that mean they got the home advantage that time?

YERRA I say!!!

The crowd is only a part of Home advantage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

spakman wrote: »
    The match is still in Croke Park

But without the hill 16 fanboy presence.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement