Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Well lads, Happy All-Ireland Final Eve to everyone :pac:

Have to admit that any green shoots of belief/hope have diminished with each passing day this week....the Mayo News podcast is like a shot of positivity but as soon as you listen/hear anything outside of that, things aren't as rosy unfortunately.

Despite that, I still think if we can bring our absolute best for 75/80 mins and if Dublin are slightly off it.....then we might have a chance. We need everything to go right though on the day.

Either way, I'll be tuned in from exile in Limerick with my two young fellas. Put the flag outside the house this morning and new retro jersey ready to go :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I come in peace as a Galwegian. Wishing ye the very best of luck on Saturday, from the bottom of my heart.

I adore the summer trips to Castlebar and the Hyde as much as clashes with Tipp and the Cats in the small ball. It'd be a serious boost for Connacht football if Mayo made the breakthrough to stop the money juggernaut Dubs. It'd also be criminal if warriors like Keith Higgins and Colm Boyle never get a celtic cross.

Ye're the last hope of keeping the intercounty alive so I think even a few Rossies would begrudgingly wish ye while :pac:

Cheers Squeaky. Lovely gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

corny wrote: »
    Don't know about that. In the 2016 replay it was nearly a case of spot the Dub in the audience. I'm guessing 75% of the crowd must have been from Mayo and the noise when Keegan scored was probably the loudest i've ever heard at a game.

Because there were more Mayo supporters does that mean they got the home advantage that time?

Agreed 2016 replay and the 2017 final Mayo fans had the numerical advantage, I could nearly feel the stadium shaking after both of Keegan's goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

it was always meant to be a transition season for mayo with the amount of new players, think its bonus territory to be in a final tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

muddle84 wrote: »
    The crowd is only a part of Home advantage!

Exactly. The main advantage is familiarity with the pitch and not having to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

Green&Red wrote: »
    From personal experience l find him a nasty arsehole but that’s just my personal opinion

From reading him on Twitter he seems to think he has a level of intelligence that’s far beyond what he actually has.

His inability to pronounce club names, places, big words shows up his level of preparation and basic knowledge. Well able to castigate a player or team without having seen a game etc. His reaction to the Eddie Brennan fiasco spoke volumes about him, blaming others and in the very next week going on about how he does everything to produce the podcast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

Previous meetings?

There have been plenty but you have to go back to 2006 for the last time any of their championship meetings ended happily for Mayo supporters. They didn’t know it at the time, but that infamous All-Ireland semi-final, where Mayo riled the Dubs by warming-up in front of Hill 16 before going on to beat the Boys in Blue 1-16 to 2-12, was the beginning of a rivalry which would continue to this very day and in many ways, shape the last decade or so of Gaelic football.

So, apparently, Mayo didn't beat Dublin in the 2012 All-Ireland Semi Final after all?? :confused: I must have imagined that one.... :rolleyes:

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/dublin-v-mayo-30million-black-hole-and-a-saturday-night-under-lights-everything-you-need-to-know-about-all-ireland-final-39874604.html

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

gourcuff wrote: »
    it was always meant to be a transition season for mayo with the amount of new players, think its bonus territory to be in a final tbh

I don't go along with this thought at all, look at the likes of Aido, Keegan, Barrett, Durcan, Cillian, McLoughlin as lads in their prime or older. Mayo are always a team of a few young, lads in their prime and a few bucks on the wane so if you find yourself in an all Ireland final you have to see it as it is and go baldy for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Looking at this . The idea of a full press is crazy. We will just get cleaned out on long kickouts .

A long kickout immediately puts pressure on our defence .
    We need to press only between the 45s . Allow the short kickout and only press when they are making non lateral movements . This will negate Fintons aerial powers and allow us to compete effectively at midfield .
    A rotating sweeper that acts as a 3rd midfielder and moving aiden to operate between the 21 and 45 and for short period on the full back would suit is better .
    Have we a chance yes but there is a feeling of 06 and 89 in this game .

Great to finally see a bit of green and red about the towns and the excitement rising and people are finally willing to talk about it!

The championship has gone to plan so far, was never in doubt in my mind but always feared the likely scenario of tomorrow’s line up but starting to believe now. I hope the team aren’t buying into the negativity or they might as well stay where they are, they need to run onto the pitch with a sense of confidences and invincibility tomorrow and bring the intensity we are capable of.

#To win just once

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Looking at this . The idea of a full press is crazy. We will just get cleaned out on long kickouts .

A long kickout immediately puts pressure on our defence .
    We need to press only between the 45s . Allow the short kickout and only press when they are making non lateral movements . This will negate Fintons aerial powers and allow us to compete effectively at midfield .
    A rotating sweeper that acts as a 3rd midfielder and moving aiden to operate between the 21 and 45 and for short period on the full back would suit is better .
    Have we a chance yes but there is a feeling of 06 and 89 in this game .

We are a different team to 04/06. We were lucky to get to finals back then and got shown up in finals. Since Horan came in, we have hardened up and got better players. We have been a proper team now ....huge credit to Horan in setting the platform for this since he came in.

This is a big ask for us to win on saturday, but this is possible and I believe we can do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

We are a different team to 04/06. We were lucky to get to finals back then and got shown up in finals. Since Horan came in, we have hardened up and got better players. We have been a proper team now ....huge credit to Horan in setting the platform for this since he came in.

This is a big ask for us to win on saturday, but this is possible and I believe we can do this.

Totally agree
    Since Horan came in in 2010/2011 Mayo have hardened up big time

There was an old story going around about how in the lead up to the 2006 final the training involved putting Barry Moran in at full forward and kick balls into him to try and simulate what Donaghey would do.

Apparently Mayo came away from it thinking they had found a full forward, instead of realizing that they did not have a defense to deal with the like sof Donaghey

Now I don't know if that ever happened but you can guarantee it's not something that would have happened since 2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Was wondering the last day, a composite of both starting teams from the semi final, how many Mayo men would you have on it? I think it'd be: (And its not like the all stars, this is direct position comparison - 2 corner backs v 2 other corner backs, midfielders v midfielders etc)

1) Cluxton
    2) Fitzsimons
    3) Barrett
    4) Cooper
    5) Paddy Durcan
    6) John Small
    7) Eoghan McLoughlin
    8) Fenton
    9) McCarthy
    10) Kevin Mc
    11) Kilkenny
    12) DOC
    13) Con O'callaghan
    14) AOS
    15) COC.

I'm ridiculously biased and I'm sure i'll get ridiculed but I dont think there's as much between the teams as others think. 8 Dubs v 7 Mayo. I really have a good feeling about this weekend, I remember in 16 and 17 everyone thought that it would be a walk in the park for the Dubs and we should have won 2 of those games (16 first game & 17). Its great to think back on 15 when a lot seemed to think that it was the beginning of the end for that Mayo team and that they may have had their chance and now we are hopefully on the beginning of another wonderful journey with a team that seems slightly new.

Jese I'm talking awful rameis, wait until I have my first game at 3.40 tomorrow!!!!!!!

UP MAYO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Was wondering the last day, a composite of both starting teams from the semi final, how many Mayo men would you have on it? I think it'd be: (And its not like the all stars, this is direct position comparison - 2 corner backs v 2 other corner backs, midfielders v midfielders etc)

1) Cluxton
    2) Fitzsimons
    3) Barrett
    4) Cooper
    5) Paddy Durcan
    6) John Small
    7) Eoghan McLoughlin
    8) Fenton
    9) McCarthy
    10) Kevin Mc
    11) Kilkenny
    12) DOC
    13) Con O'callaghan
    14) AOS
    15) COC.

I'm ridiculously biased and I'm sure i'll get ridiculed but I dont think there's as much between the teams as others think. 8 Dubs v 7 Mayo. I really have a good feeling about this weekend, I remember in 16 and 17 everyone thought that it would be a walk in the park for the Dubs and we should have won 2 of those games (16 first game & 17). Its great to think back on 15 when a lot seemed to think that it was the beginning of the end for that Mayo team and that they may have had their chance and now we are hopefully on the beginning of another wonderful journey with a team that seems slightly new.

Jese I'm talking awful rameis, wait until I have my first game at 3.40 tomorrow!!!!!!!

Not everyone thought it would be a walk in the park for Dublin in 16 & 17, I would have strongly said that we matched up very well with them at that time, as would others.

This year, I'm not as (truly) confident in the individual strengths per position. And I really wouldn't have Eoghan Mcloughlin near a combined team. The good bits are good from him, he's lightening fast but I think he has a way to come with decision making and distribution... it's almost as if he's going too fast to think sometimes. I think Dublin will target him rather than fear him tbh. Can see them letting him have the ball and swarming him then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Totally agree
    Since Horan came in in 2010/2011 Mayo have hardened up big time

There was an old story going around about how in the lead up to the 2006 final the training involved putting Barry Moran in at full forward and kick balls into him to try and simulate what Donaghey would do.

Apparently Mayo came away from it thinking they had found a full forward, instead of realizing that they did not have a defense to deal with the like sof Donaghey

Now I don't know if that ever happened but you can guarantee it's not something that would have happened since 2011

And to add to this and I know Horan has his critics on here, but he brings so much confidence to guys to really show their true potential and bring all that they have to the field. This is the reason why the young guys are thriving under him. He is ruthless as well which he needs to be but we are lucky to have him imo... even taking away his limitations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Gerianam wrote: »

Honest question, I came across none of these videos floating about last weekend with Limerick and their train journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Honest question, I came across none of these videos floating about last weekend with Limerick and their train journey.

Limerick won 2 years ago, it's not as big a deal to them
    I thought they were going up tomorrow morning, hit off early tomorrow would hav e been better in my opinion

What's the question?

Limerick won 2 years ago, it's not a big deal to them

Just think they are silly. Go up quietly. I always go back to the photos of the likes of Maughan and McHale showing off the tanned legs, getting on the plane to fly up. Brings unnecessary spotlight on us.

• Advertisement

Just think they are silly. Go up quietly. I always go back to the photos of the likes of Maughan and McHale showing off the tanned legs, getting on the plane to fly up. Brings unnecessary spotlight on us.

Sure it's awful daftness, I wouldnt expect any less from the same people though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

PhoneMain wrote: »

1) Cluxton
    2) Fitzsimons
    3) Barrett
    4) Cooper
    5) Paddy Durcan
    6) John Small
    7) Eoghan McLoughlin
    8) Fenton
    9) McCarthy
    10) Kevin Mc
    11) Kilkenny
    12) DOC
    13) Con O'callaghan
    14) AOS
    15) COC.

Looks like a good team I am not sure about Paddy Durcan/Eoin Mcloughlin in that team though. As a Dub I would rate Kevin McLoughlin as Mayo's most consistent player. I'd have Rock instead of AOS. Move AOS to midifeld. I would play McCarthy at wingback instead of Paddy Durcan/Eoin Mcloughlin.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The official word was that they were travelling up tomorrow.

I'm not sure Horan and the gang would have went to Ballyhaunis GAA Facebook page and its 2,600 followers if they wanted to broadcast the journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

http://twitter.com/BallyhaunisGAA/status/1339957411231240198

Looks like the team went up today after all
    I’m happier with that
    Going up tomorrow morning made no sense to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Team named

Mayo will face Dubin in tomorrow's All Ireland final in Croke Park at 5pm.

Mayo manager James Horan has named an unchanged team from the semi-final win over Tipperary last time out. This weekend will see Cillian O'Connor make his 95th Mayo appearance at senior level (35 league 59 championship. He made his championship debut against London 2011. The Mayo team named has a combined 506 championship appearances between them. The game is live on both RTE Two & Sky Sports.

1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
    2. Chris Barrett - Clontarf
    3. Oisín Mullin - Kilmaine
    4. Lee Keegan - Westport
    5. Patrick Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
    6. Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    7. Eoghan McLaughlin - Westport
    8. Conor Loftus - Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    9. Matthew Ruane - Breaffy
    10. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    11. Ryan O'Donoghue - Belmullet
    12. Diarmuid O’Connor - Ballintubber
    13. Tommy Conroy - The Neale
    14. Aidan O’Shea - Breaffy (C)
    15. Cillian O’Connor - Ballintubber

Support the team & donate to the team training fund now >> https://mayogaa.com/donate/

Blackjack wrote: »
    Team named

Mayo will face Dubin in tomorrow's All Ireland final in Croke Park at 5pm.

Mayo manager James Horan has named an unchanged team from the semi-final win over Tipperary last time out. This weekend will see Cillian O'Connor make his 95th Mayo appearance at senior level (35 league 59 championship. He made his championship debut against London 2011. The Mayo team named has a combined 506 championship appearances between them. The game is live on both RTE Two & Sky Sports.

1. David Clarke - Ballina Stephenites
    2. Chris Barrett - Clontarf
    3. Oisín Mullin - Kilmaine
    4. Lee Keegan - Westport
    5. Patrick Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
    6. Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    7. Eoghan McLaughlin - Westport
    8. Conor Loftus - Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    9. Matthew Ruane - Breaffy
    10. Kevin McLoughlin - Knockmore
    11. Ryan O'Donoghue - Belmullet
    12. Diarmuid O’Connor - Ballintubber
    13. Tommy Conroy - The Neale
    14. Aidan O’Shea - Breaffy (C)
    15. Cillian O’Connor - Ballintubber

Support the team & donate to the team training fund now >> https://mayogaa.com/donate/

Nowadays, almost more interest in who makes the subs than the actual team.

• Advertisement

Nowadays, almost more interest in who makes the subs than the actual team.

Don't have that info sorry.

Blackjack wrote: »
    Don't have that info sorry.

No ones does u til the digital programme goes live at about 11am tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

No ones does u til the digital programme goes live at about 11am tomorrow.

I presume an email is sent with the programme attached?

Delighted to hear the lads are on the road today.

# To win just once

seligehgit wrote: »
    I presume an email is sent with the programme attached?

Delighted to hear the lads are on the road today.

# To win just once

From 11am you can download the online version and put in the coupon code - received from physical programme purchase email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

I think the programs will be on sale in Super Value too?

• Advertisement

I think the programs will be on sale in Super Value too?

There was some talk that they were in sale in the Centra and Super Valu stores pre the hurling final so I'd imagine yes.

seligehgit wrote: »
    There was some talk that they were in sale in the Centra and Super Valu stores pre the hurling final so I'd imagine yes.

I wasn't going to risk it. All you hungry Mayo heads would have the country scoured for programmes and have the Mayo exiles in Dublin alerted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Best of luck tomorrow lads. Ye are giving us men from the wastelands of Leinster a glimmer of hope and rest assured there will be 30 other counties with ye for the Final. I take a bit of an interest in ye as herself is a proud north mayo woman.

Mayo Subs tommorow
    16. Hennelly
    17. O Hora
    18. Plunkett
    19. Brickenden
    20. Higgins
    21. Parsons
    22. Flynn
    23. Boland
    24. Durcan
    25. Carr
    26. Coen

#mayogaa

Dublin subs for tommorow
    16. Comerford
    17.Basquel
    18. Byrne
    19. Costello
    20. Howard
    21. Lahiff
    22. Lowndes
    23. McCauley
    24. Mannion
    25. McMahon
    26. Kev Mcmanamon

Higgins back and James Carr. Is that the first time we've seen Boland this championship?

All information courtesy of Ah Ref!!!

I’m worried now having seen the benches
    We have damn all real options if the game is in the balance and we need to go and win it
    Carr is basically it
    Coen at a push

Mayo Subs tommorow
    16. Hennelly
    17. O Hora
    18. Plunkett
    19. Brickenden
    20. Higgins
    21. Parsons
    22. Flynn
    23. Boland
    24. Durcan
    25. Carr
    26. Coen

#mayogaa
    km79 wrote: »
    We have damn all real options if the game is in the balance and we need to go and win it
    Carr is basically it
    Coen at a push

Wasn't much more in the way of players available.

Fionn Mc Donagh misses out.

Has James Durcan featured in the championship this year?

Ditto Eoin O Donoghue.

Dublin bench is ridiculously strong.

Check out this video on the Beeb re Mayo GAA which was posted on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/172189269474951/posts/4219988054695032/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Match programmes available from tomorrow in a selected number of Centra stores in Mayo (and a couple in Galway and Sligo for some reason).

Full list on Farcebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Carr is basically it
    Coen at a push

I wasn't expecting anything different, Mark moran and bryan Walsh no experience, he doesn't like EOD, vaughan, SOS and Boyle haven't featured,
    Carr can do damage but noone to really impact that middle third for mayo

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Match programmes available from tomorrow in a selected number of Centra stores in Mayo (and a couple in Galway and Sligo for some reason).

Full list on Farcebook.

:D

I prefer nosebook!

I wasn't expecting anything different, Mark moran and bryan Walsh no experience, he doesn't like EOD, vaughan, SOS and Boyle haven't featured,

I really don’t know what the issue is with EOD but I really think he’s a better option at 4 as he’s a more natural player in that line than Lee. I don’t know who loses out in the half forward line to make way for Lee there though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Would swop any of the subs for a fit Colm Boyle. Apart from maybe Darren Coen I dont see any of them having a major impact.
    Still trying to be more optimistic than pessimistic but its proving hard. Head says Dublin. I don't think Horan will make any tactical changes and just play Horan ball,same as last day.
    Might have been good enough for Tipperary but doubt it will be enough tomorrow. Hope I'm wrong.

Fionn mcdonagh was the name I was looking out for ?
    What’s Ciaran Treacys story this year too. He must be injured ?
    James Durkan just isn’t good enough for this level of opposition

Also
    Could they not have done a bloody Up for the Match type thing to set the scene for the biggest match of the year ?
    A few interviews .
    Fat Larry telling the same tales in a way only he can
    DB telling lies like only he can :D

Durcan really could be the joker in the pack. Blows very hot and then very cold. If he was to be introduced and blow hot then he could hit 1-02 very easily. His pace is frightening.

Also
    Could they not have done a bloody Up for the Match type thing to set the scene for the biggest match of the year ?
    A few interviews .
    Fat Larry telling the same tales in a way only he can
    DB telling lies like only he can :D

Up for the match type thing only works when you have the "yahoos" in the audience.

All Ireland week you'd generally have had OTB roadshow as well as the Mayo News roadshow.

• Advertisement

Flynn will impact in and around the middle... what kind of impact that is, is the question. But I think he's a player built for Croker

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement