Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Dublin just turned the sauce on when needed in last 15mins they have levels to go when needed that we can't reach.

Championship is rotten. We were by far the better team until the water break then the disgusting financial doping kicked in and Dublin stole it.

Our county board need to stop the in fighting and get Dublin broken up. It’s wrong plain and simple.

Heads up lads. We’ll be back next year. COC for player of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Hard luck Mayo. Best county team in the country. You just couldn't match the Dublin regional team who can pick from the best players of 4 counties.

To everyone outside the M50 ye are the true champions of 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

All messing aside..

Great game. You're the only team I actually believe can beat us and the only team I fear. Huge credit for coming back each year, that can't be easy mentally.

Wouldnt begrudge this team winning an AI, I think they deserve it and the fans certainly do, so credit where its due, but hopefully not at our expense.

Good luck to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He's only really playing about 2yr. Body still adjusting to putting on 20kg from when he was a world class junior cyclist.

More exposure and experience he gets you just watch him improve even more.

Ya, maybe I'm being too harsh and apologies if I am.
    But it was pretty obvious to me he wasn't up to an All Ireland final from what I've seen this year, that's just my opinion, maybe I'm reacting more to the hype about him than anything else. The hype was premature.

He will improve, I've no doubt about that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

What's the point any more? Nothing shameful, we gave them a game. But what's the point, the Dubs haven't lost a game for 6 years. Maybe they'll take note of all the unfair advantages and financial doping the Dubs get. They even played a fanfare over the tannoy as they entered the pitch, mayo walked on to silence. Imagine being able to bring Brian Howard on at half time. No other county has that amount of talent, it's not just players of a generation, it's a conveyor belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    Championship is rotten. We were by far the better team until the water break then the disgusting financial doping kicked in and Dublin stole it.

Our county board need to stop the in fighting and get Dublin broken up. It’s wrong plain and simple.

Heads up lads. We’ll be back next year. COC for player of the year.

Good lad yourself. Being able to take a loss is a good thing. Mind your attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Unlucky.

He did as best as you could expect. Fairly even game to half time but after the start of the 2nd half it didn't take long to see it was over as a contest.

Can't see any team beating Dublin in the foreseeable future, unless a lot of them have one bad game and it's all at the same time in an AIF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    We were by far the better team until the water break then the disgusting financial doping kicked in and Dublin stole it.

I see someone is already on the beer.

PARlance wrote: »
    Ya, maybe I'm being too harsh and apologies if I am.
    But it was pretty obvious to me he wasn't up to an All Ireland final from what I've seen this year, that's just my opinion, maybe I'm reacting more to the hype about him than anything else. The hype was premature.

He will improve, I've no doubt about that.

Always thought as well that RoD would struggle against a proper team. Just that few cm too small and not strong enough to ride or break tackles. He's what I would term a 'nice' footballer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Better team by some distance, the black card just delayed them pulling away. Not sure how there wasn’t a black card for Johnny Cooper, I suppose there is that rule that you can’t give two dubs blacks at the same time.

The quality coming off their bench compared to ours is scary

Durcan was a massive loss, Kilkenny did serious damage in the second half.

I was wrong on Oisin Mullen, he was ready for it, outstanding today and not just going forward but he’s definitely a half back

McLaughlin has a lot to learn on the skills and tackling side but he’s a serious athlete and only new to this, I wouldn’t be too hard on him

Conroy will be very disappointed, game passes him by

Cillian was outstanding with the service he got in the first half. Thought Ruane and Loftus had great games until they tired.
    ROD had a good game but he needs to respect possession more.
    Keegan really stepped up today

Pity McMahon got on, he’s a f**king tramp

Nothing to be disgraced about, those lads did us proud

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Did anyone think we had a chance of winning at any stage during the game??

I hate to say it but to me it always felt Dublin had us at arm's length and could flex for a goal or a few quick scores if they needed to.

The Dubs have All Stars on their bench which gives them so many options to either chase a game or close it out.

Still, the lads did us proud as always...we just ran out of steam in the last quarter.

I did. I thought we had a chance until things went pear shaped after the last water break.

And I think that game was an unexpected bonus for this team.
    Nobody expected us to be be remotely competitive.
    They are a relatively young immature team. They will learn from this and improve. Sam will happen for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Yeah but we shouldn't be too hard on the younger players. As somebody said we needed a bunch of players to get 8/9 ratings and Dublin to have an off day. Neither happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Beaten by a better team on the day. No shame in that. We were still in it with 10 to go but couldn’t match the quality of substitutions.
    A bit puzzled by the swap of Ryan with Darren Coen. Thought Ryan was one of our best as well as Oisín Mullen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

touts wrote: »
    Hard luck Mayo. Best county team in the country. You just couldn't match the Dublin regional team who can pick from the best players of 4 counties.

You must be related to Philly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

The mistakes really racked up in the last quarter for Mayo.

Didn't look like it was fatigue because everyone was still moving well. Just lack of composure. Its a recipe for disaster against Dublin because their efficiency seems to be best when in the crunch minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

touts wrote: »

This is pathetic nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

corny wrote: »

Didn't look like it was fatigue because everyone was still moving well. Just lack of composure. Its a recipe for disaster against Dublin because their efficiency seems to be best when in the crunch minutes.

You're right. COC went AWOL in the second half, ye stopped using the mark plus despite being hard won, Mayo got well into the Dublin 45 and missed / dropped 4 scorable points into Cluxton's hands.

With 15 mins to go there was only a couple of points in it.
    Thought the best moves on Dessie Farrell's part were removing Jonny Cooper and bringing on Howard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Commiserations folks. Felt ye were the last hope for the intercounty structure as it stands. Ye came close so mamy times but the legs went shortly after HT tonight. Probably the end of brilliant players like Higgins and Boyle.

Need a back a new keeper for the future too. Clarke was a good servant but you need a solid keeper. He had a nightmare tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Very proud of the team, young lads especially. Young Oisin Mullin had a great day out. Felt they put it up to them. But Dublin had the superior bench and when they ran it, we didn't have the legs. Is what it is. Still think this is a year or two too early for this team. Need to hold onto Oisin Mullin for the future. Have to keep him in the county.

• Advertisement

It's tiredness/fatigue that causes the performance to dip by that few percent. Howards appearance off the bench allowed Fenton that extra space which is thrives in. Durcan going off gave Kilkenny space.

Good year overall for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Hard luck to Mayo and their supporters.they were up against it today and fell short.
    Such is sport.
    Happy Christmas to ye all and best wishes for the new year.
    See ye in Connacht next year God willing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Commiserations folks. Felt ye were the last hope for the intercounty structure as it stands. Ye came close so mamy times but the legs went shortly after HT tonight. Probably the end of brilliant players like Higgins and Boyle.

Need a back a new keeper for the future too. Clarke was a good servant but you need a solid keeper. He had a nightmare tonight.

Can't see how you think Clarke had a nightmare. From my blue tinted glasses I thought his kickouts were probably more productive than that of Cluxtons, Mayo won most of his long kick outs plus the two goals were not his fault. I've revelled in Clarke's cock ups in the past but tonight I thought he played well and was in no way at fault for Mayo's loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

It shortened the winter
    Looking forward to the summer
    We are still a few players short truth be told

Have a feeling clarke will go so we need a new keeper for start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Deflated and feel a bit caged up in the house after that but being realistic, we gave a good account of ourselves.

There's a few things I was confused with regarding the changes from the sideline but I'm not in the mood for going into it. Congrats to Dublin and fair play to our boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

not from Mayo but they always bounce back , they dont roll over and die , unfortunate to be so competitive at a time when Dublin are so out of this world good and in truth a small county like Mayo are always up against it , this is going to sound strange but you over achieve

Is Reape from Knockmore willing to commit? He is the future for us in the goalkeeping department.

Seamie, Boyler, Zippy, Tom, Shoes and possibly Barrett will all finish now. Clarke is touch and go, might stay to help bed in Reape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭crossman47

That's absolute rubbish. he couldn't do anything for the goals and his kick outs were excellent. Outshone Cluxton in that respect tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I've no desire to watch that back, I never rewatch these lost finals so I don't know how accurate any of this is.

Firstly it was not the carnage that I and others though, they did great on the kickouts given that that was an area of weakness.

I thought they got very sloppy, probably due to tiredness in the second half.
    A lot of lost balls when they could have mounted a decent attack and maybe got something, some of these mistakes came after Dublin gifted them the ball from their (Dublin's) errors.
    That was most frustrating.

And Dublin are just good, look at the way they turned it on when needed and pulled away.

It's probably the least disappointed I have been after a final, the circumstances might have something to do with that.

Next year is only a few weeks away, plenty for these guys to build on.

Far better that August 10th 2019

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Thought we got a lot right today, we ran out of juice down the home stretch & we don’t have the subs - Jason Doherty & Brendan Harrison are missed. But immensely proud of the team , fair play to them , they keep giving us great days . Management & players should be proud of what they achieved. We were beaten by a better team & that’s ok , we didn’t give up & we’ll be back at it in 7 weeks. The dream never dies!

Barlett wrote: »
    Thought we got a lot right today, we ran out of juice down the home stretch & we don’t have the subs - Jason Doherty & Brendan Harrison are missed. But immensely proud of the team , fair play to them , they keep giving us great days . Management & players should be proud of what they achieved. We were beaten by a better team & that’s ok , we didn’t give up & we’ll be back at it in 7 weeks. The dream never dies!

Allowed to train again from January the 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

It's tiredness/fatigue that causes the performance to dip by that few percent. Howards appearance off the bench allowed Fenton that extra space which is thrives in. Durcan going off gave Kilkenny space.

Good year overall for us.

I don't think it does. Yes Howard and Mannion are going to be a handful off the bench but Fenton et al were working hard throughout the game. They didn't make mistakes as the game progressed. I felt there was a little bit of panic involved tbh.

Agreed on the good year though. I don't think anyone expected the new faces to make such a smooth transition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Always thought as well that RoD would struggle against a proper team. Just that few cm too small and not strong enough to ride or break tackles. He's what I would term a 'nice' footballer.

Like eoin murchan

Squatman wrote: »
    Like eoin murchan

The Munch has pace, Ryan doesn't. Ryan can't sidestep a tackle, however he could be developed into the Dillon type player I thought Boland would become.

Most of those mistakes were from Coen.

No scores from Aiden, Conroy not great, McLaughlin dropping lots, some poor decisions from Loftus, Durkan going off. Just two of the starting mayo forwards scored. Lots of places that we were lacking, i think they could of beat us by 10 at the end if required but probably not too pushed at emphasizing the gap.

Disappointed with the level of fitness in the end, but they were basically against professional athletes.

Still a good performance, and probably a year or two early with this team. Still a few more gems required to build out this team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Hard luck Mayo, ye lost to a great team, no shame in that.
    Look on the bright side at least Galway won today so the Dubs supply of players might be starting to dry up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

Allowed to train again from January the 15th.

I cant see it numbers in the 500s today and the Christmas travel hasn't kicked in yet expect very high numbers in the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Dublin fan, commiserations to Mayo. Nearly always give us a really tough, tight game. Really pressurised us in the first half. I wasn't happy overall and thought Mayo would come at us in the first 10 of the second half, but they didnt really.

Soft goals, difference in the quality of the bench and some poor wides later in the game are the main reasons I would think for the overall difference.

Very impressed by that young 20 year old with the long hair.
    The first half you were dominating on the kickouts too and we were in trouble there.

Does Aidan O'Shea need to deliver more in the big games? Or is he just not as good as people make him out to be? I always expect more from him in these games & he invariably fails to deliver.

Hopefully you can unearth a couple more players for next year and those young players you have this season continue to improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Hard luck Mayo, ye lost to a great team, no shame in that.
    Look on the bright side at least Galway won today so the Dubs supply of players might be starting to dry up
    They had the second best u20 team this year and last year. They will gain more from their u20 team then 30 other counties. There won't ever be a period again where dublin run out of talent. With their systems in place and the resources to pick from its just not possible.

The positive thing is we were competitive with half a new team. The experience of Dublin told in the end, but the opportunity is there for them to be caught in the the next couple of years. The difference was the likes of McCarthy, Fenton, o Callaghan, Kilkenny, J Small and Howard off the bench in the second half. The newer players are not as yet showing the same level as those players did when they came though. And for much of today’s match Fenton was kept relatively under control. I think there may be a natural transition point coming for the Dubs, and think we may be getting in the position the take advantage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

The. Calculated risk is now past tense .

Did it work . Well yes and no.

We most definitely caused problems for cluxten and Fenton was amiss in the first half .

We coughed up the first goal . Almost sacrilegious.

Overall I’m happy as we weren’t the finished article . The coach training needs work as movement is not pre- empted .
    We need a proper forwards coach ( sorry Ciaran) and bring back Buckley . Ok I’ve said it but stop the messing around .

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭All that fandango

I think there may be a natural transition point coming for the Dubs, and think we may be getting in the position the take advantage

That would be the ideal situation, but realistically how many more AIs are Dublin capable of winning? Will we have another good Mayo team pass us by yet again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

crossman47 wrote: »
    That's absolute rubbish. he couldn't do anything for the goals and his kick outs were excellent.

His kickouts were much improved but I don't believe you're being serious if you think he can't be doing better on the two goals. First one I could kinda understand but if he keeps straight he's head height with the ball. The second one he literally let's through his legs and would be slated at a Junior C standard.

Disappointed with the level of fitness in the end, but they were basically against professional athletes.

That’s a fact
    i think they could of beat us by 10 at the end if required but probably not too pushed at emphasizing the gap.

That’s one of the conspiracy theories doing the rounds that I’m buying into more. I can’t understand why they are against splitting, there are 1.5mill people in Dublin, less than 30 can make the panel. Splitting will mean 30 more young lads get a chance (and this could ripple to u20, minor, ladies etc), it’s good for the game in Dublin as well as giving the rest of the country a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

His kickouts were much improved but I don't believe you're being serious if you think he can't be doing better on the two goals. First one I could kinda understand but if he keeps straight he's head height with the ball. The second one he literally let's through his legs and would be slated at a Junior C standard.

You cannot fault Clarke for either goals..
    Slated at junior c? Ah come on now

We need a proper forwards coach ( sorry Ciaran) and bring back Buckley . Ok I’ve said it but stop the messing around .

Yip, eight forwards played, Cillian with two from play, O Donoghue with 2 from play and Coen 1 from play. Thats a long way from been good enough.

Not sure why O Donoghue was taken off so early, his replacement did nothing.

We kicked the ball into Cluxtons hands 4 times. Can't remember Dublin doing it once.

Are you for real? I'd be one of his biggest critics but tonight isn't the night to try and pin goals or kickouts on Clarkie. He was immense today.

Yip, eight forwards played, Cillian with two from play, O Donoghue with 2 from play and Coen 1 from play. Thats a long way from been good enough.

Not sure why O Donoghue was taken off so early, his replacement did nothing.

Someone has to come off I order to try something different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Can't see how you think Clarke had a nightmare. From my blue tinted glasses I thought his kickouts were probably more productive than that of Cluxtons, Mayo won most of his long kick outs plus the two goals were not his fault. I've revelled in Clarke's cock ups in the past but tonight I thought he played well and was in no way at fault for Mayo's loss.

Actually felt Clarke had a great day and I'd be a critic of Clarke. Cluxton had a poor day by his standards. Didn't feel like we used O'Shea well enough.

Thought Lee had a great day too. He was breaking forward, putting his body on the line and the ref absolutely bottled it on that frontal challenge on him.

Whether it was a deliberate tactic or not but Cillian and Aidan spent far too much time in our own half.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement