Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Barlett wrote: »
    Thought we got a lot right today, we ran out of juice down the home stretch & we don’t have the subs - Jason Doherty & Brendan Harrison are missed. But immensely proud of the team , fair play to them , they keep giving us great days . Management & players should be proud of what they achieved. We were beaten by a better team & that’s ok , we didn’t give up & we’ll be back at it in 7 weeks. The dream never dies!

Definitely the least deflated I've felt in a long time after a final. We didn't have the bench today. But I'm very excited by these youngsters. They stood up today. I was very impressed, they were leading the way in many ways today. We're not going anywhere any time soon. Excited for next year already.

Someone has to come off I order to try something different.
    He was scoring from Play, up to last few minutes Cillian was the only other forward that scored from play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

One positive for next year is that the league will be run on a regional basis so therefore no relegation or promotion at stake. Allows us to blood even more players and try formations.

He was scoring from Play, up to last few minutes Cillian was the only other forward that scored from play.

Who would you have taken off instead to try and shake things up?

Having said that none of our offensive changes had any impact. Think the Darren Coen thing needs to end. Excellent club player but you can't have a real impact at IC level without some semblance of pace which you can't train into someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Whether it was a deliberate tactic or not but Cillian and Aidan spent far too much time in our own half.

It's nothing new though. Aidan was almost at FB in the second half vs Galway and Cillian always tracks back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Did anyone think we had a chance of winning at any stage during the game??

I thought when Coen got the mark we could kick on. Didn’t mention it earlier but what leadership. You could see it in his eyes that he was kacking it kicking it but he nailed it, absolutely nailed it.

Give him the C’s armband

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Always thought as well that RoD would struggle against a proper team. Just that few cm too small and not strong enough to ride or break tackles. He's what I would term a 'nice' footballer.

Yikes I think that's a tad harsh.

I thought he contributed very handsomely in the first half.A very elusive and creative player with a low centre of gravity.

Quieter second half.

Tommy goals never really got into the game.

Diarmuid was truly outstanding, absolutely ran himself into the ground.

Dublin's game management at the start of the second half when down a man was excellent.

Tagged a couple of scores in the first 5 minutes and frustratingly as ever held possession for what seemed an eternity.

I don't know how David Coldrick missed Mick Fitzsimmons frontal charge.He was 5 yards away at a stretch.

TBF as mentioned already the turning point IMO was the Eoghan Mc Loughlin opportunity.

Some of our shooting was very poor.

Balls dropped into the goalkeepers hands.

Darren Coen unfortunately blew cold.
    Nonetheless our mobility caused them serious problems.

Oisin Mullin must be retained at all costs.

The Dublin bench delivered the goods.

Still bizarre IMO that Howard and Mannion failed to start.

O Callaghan,Kilkenny reigned supreme today.

Can the gap be closed next year?

Reape needs to be brought into the setup.

Hopefully Harry will be fit,can Eoin O Donoghue finally convince James Horan of his worth?

I'd be very positive about this team's future but sadly very gloomy in spite of same about any teams ability to knock the Dubs off their perch.

PARlance wrote: »
    It's nothing new though. Aidan was almost at FB in the second half vs Galway and Cillian always tracks back

Both shouldn't be at the same time. Cillian is no good to us in our half. Players need to be where they have maximum impact.

PressRun wrote: »
    Actually felt Clarke had a great day and I'd be a critic of Clarke. Cluxton had a poor day by his standards. Didn't feel like we used O'Shea well enough.

Thought Lee had a great day too. He was breaking forward, putting his body on the line and the ref absolutely bottled it on that frontal challenge on him.

One hundred percent Clarke had a great day.

Ditto Leeroy.

• Advertisement

PressRun wrote: »
    Definitely the least deflated I've felt in a long time after a final. We didn't have the bench today. But I'm very excited by these youngsters. They stood up today. I was very impressed, they were leading the way in many ways today. We're not going anywhere any time soon. Excited for next year already.

Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Great performance by the lads, no shame in defeat to them, can keep their heads high, was an absolute pleasure to watch them last few weeks, left it all out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

One positive for next year is that the league will be run on a regional basis so therefore no relegation or promotion at stake. Allows us to blood even more players and try formations.

Not being able to get promoted is not good news !

km79 wrote: »

Gotta take the positives from the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

seligehgit wrote: »
    I'd be very positive about this team's future but sadly very gloomy in spite of same about any teams ability to knock the Dubs off their perch.

Agreed.

I love the direction of the team. I'm excited by these players. I'm not optimistic about anyone displacing the Dubs, but that's a GAA HQ problem.

Agreed on Diarmuid. He had a terrific game. His tackling was immense.

Coldrick has a couple of bad calls. The miss on Keegan was ridiculous.

At least we won't have too long to wallow in our sorrow.

A new year is nearly uponst us!

• Advertisement

Yikes I think that's a tad harsh.

I thought he contributed very handsomely in the first half.A very elusive and creative player with a low centre of gravity.

Quieter second half.

Tommy goals never really got into the game.

Diarmuid was truly outstanding, absolutely ran himself into the ground.

Dublin's game management at the start of the second half when down a man was excellent.

Tagged a couple of scores in the first 5 minutes and frustratingly as ever held possession for what seemed an eternity.

I don't know how David Coldrick missed Mick Fitzsimmons frontal charge.He was 5 yards away at a stretch.

TBF as mentioned already the turning point IMO was the Eoghan Mc Loughlin opportunity.

Some of our shooting was very poor.

Balls dropped into the goalkeepers hands.

Darren Coen unfortunately blew cold.
    Nonetheless our mobility caused them serious problems.

Oisin Mullin must be retained at all costs.

The Dublin bench delivered the goods.

Still bizarre IMO that Howard and Mannion failed to start.

O Callaghan,Kilkenny reigned supreme today.

Can the gap be closed next year?

Reape needs to be brought into the setup.

Hopefully Harry will be fit,can Eoin O Donoghue finally convince James Horan of his worth?

Covid may have been a blessing in disguise for Mayo football. Arguably the extra year puts Mullen a bit on the old side to successfully transition to AFL. Head over now and he is competing with guys with 2 years full time professional training behind them and he also has to learn the sport.
    Some of his fielding today makes me think his future is in the middle of the field. That endless energy, footballing ability and the fielding could make a great midfielder

Ditto Leeroy.

Definitely shows Leroy is best a bit further up the field

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

km79 wrote: »
    There is promotion and relegation as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

Definitely shows Leroy is best a bit further up the field

He is lost in the back line. He is still our best half back!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Are you for real? I'd be one of his biggest critics but tonight isn't the night to try and pin goals or kickouts on Clarkie. He was immense today.

Yep, the kickouts were fine today. Not like he could have saved the two goals either, they broke our line, not David's fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 030802

A really good hour and then we got swamped.
    Played way beyond what I expected: Clarke, Mullin, Keegan, Coen, Loftus, Ruane, O'donoghue, O'Connor x2,
    Played fine: Barret, durcan (injured)
    below expectations: Aidan, Conroy, Mc Loughlin x2
    Subs: Coen did well initially but faded quickly. Truthfully, we fell by the wayside after the hour mark. Fintan, Kilkenny and howard took over and that was that. a few wides and trying to orchestrate a goal chance that was never on...
    I have to say that I'm really proud of the performance though and look forward to the new year.
    complaints about money, population aside, the dubs really are a fantastic squad and there's no shame in not getting over the line against them. Best of luck to them, no point being bitter. Onwards to a weird league and hopefully some decent crowds in McHale Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

030802 wrote: »
    A really good hour and then we got swamped.
    Played way beyond what I expected: Clarke, Mullin, Keegan, Coen, Loftus, Ruane, O'donoghue, O'Connor x2,
    Played fine: Barret, durcan (injured)
    below expectations: Aidan, Conroy, Mc Loughlin x2
    Subs: Coen did well initially but faded quickly. Truthfully, we fell by the wayside after the hour mark. Fintan, Kilkenny and howard took over and that was that. a few wides and trying to orchestrate a goal chance that was never on...
    I have to say that I'm really proud of the performance though and look forward to the new year.
    complaints about money, population aside, the dubs really are a fantastic squad and there's no shame in not getting over the line against them. Best of luck to them, no point being bitter. Onwards to a weird league and hopefully some decent crowds in McHale Park

Are we digging up the pitch so won't be at home at all next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

irishgeo wrote: »

Would 2020 not have been a better time to do that due to the lack of games in McHale Park???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Ditto Leeroy.

Clarke's kickouts were excellent. I think it's the first time in history Cluxton went long on the majority of his kickouts. Mayo won the kickout battle absolutely hands down. Clarke can take credit in that. Getting beaten by 5 is just down to the gulf in quality. Mayo's tactics were spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 35 030802

no idea

030802 wrote: »
    no idea

Reported on the Mayo GAA website.

No idea when the resurfacing project begins.

https://mayogaa.com/news-detail/10067959/

Would 2020 not have been a better time to do that due to the lack of games in McHale Park???

Need to delve into the supporters pockets to fund same.

The Covid 19 year that was 2020 I am guessing would have been less than opportune for such a financial task.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Regional basis yes but will be relegation and promotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I said earlier that this did not feel like that disappointing of a loss.

But fcuk it I'm pissed off now.

Not for this loss in particular but for the constant year after year after year year getting to finals only to be meeting the best team of a generation against you.

I know getting to finals is good and you can't win them if you're not in them, and that you have to beat the best, but for once it would be great for Mayo to catch a break and face something other than a great team in a final.

I look at Cork in 2010 as an example.
    Five years in a row they lost to Kerry in either the SF or final, and then eventually with Kerry beaten in a QF they get to play and beat Down in a final.
    Same goes for Galway in 98, they only had to deal with Kildare.
    Even Kerry's solitary win in the 2010s did not involve them playing Dublin.

And don't any one mention. Donegal in 2012, they were a once in a generation machine.

As McStay said, we have never been favorite.

I'd just love to see some year Dublin get beaten an Mayo take advantage and win it out over someone way over their heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Clarke's kickouts were excellent. I think it's the first time in history Cluxton went long on the majority of his kickouts. Mayo won the kickout battle absolutely hands down. Clarke can take credit in that. Getting beaten by 5 is just down to the gulf in quality. Mayo's tactics were spot on

I found the amount of kickouts RTE missed from both keepers because of showing replays very annoying.

Not as annoying as Ger Canning, but annoying all the same.

Nothing really to complain about in the actual game, Dublin were comfortable enough pretty much all through the second half.

Diarmuid and Aidan will be most disappointed with their contributions and losing Paddy Durcan at half time was a real blow.

Oisín Mullin for Young Player of the Year.

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    I found the amount of kickouts RTE missed from both keepers because of showing replays very annoying.

Not as annoying as Ger Canning, but annoying all the same.

Nothing really to complain about in the actual game, Dublin were comfortable enough pretty much all through the second half.

Diarmuid and Aidan will be most disappointed with their contributions and losing Paddy Durcan at half time was a real blow.

Oisín Mullin for Young Player of the Year.

Only one point I'd disagree on.

I thought Diarmuid O Connor was one of our top performers but unfortunately he didn't threaten the scoreboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

Not for this loss in particular but for the constant year after year after year year getting to finals only to be meeting the best team of a generation against you.

I know getting to finals is good and you can't win them if you're not in them, and that you have to beat the best, but for once it would be great for Mayo to catch a break and face something other than a great team in a final.

Five years in a row they lost to Kerry in either the SF or final, and then eventually with Kerry beaten in a QF they get to play and beat Down in a final.

And don't any one mention. Donegal in 2012, they were a once in a generation machine.

I'd just love to see some year Dublin get beaten an Mayo take advantage and win it out over someone way over their heads.

I think this is the only way Mayo will win an All Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Achebe wrote: »
    I think this is the only way Mayo will win an All Ireland.

I don't know about that. Mayo are just missing that cuteness shot selection it can be learnt. If they find two-three clinical forwards to what they already have.
    Mayo are a team that are almost there. They work like dogs and are a fit as anything. But even the fittest teams need a bench. If I was the Mayo CB I would be scouring the country for any quality forward. Not just from Mayo but other counties. It would transform Mayo. Two/three quality forwards. Mayo way too dependant on C'OConnor. Plus Aiden O'Shea seems to be living on reputation alone imo.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

Squatman wrote: »
    Great game. Great showing by 4 to1 outsiders, against the heaviest funded team in the history of the GAA, home advantage and a ref afraid to make a big call in a final. Looks like AIG was missing from the refs jersey. 🀣 well done, the better funded, better equipped, better facilitated, better hyped, home advantaged team won

Hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

The Mayo egos still seem massively overinflated. Are they hailed as heroes wherever they go in Mayo?

Would love to know what happened in the tunnel but mayo, again Mayo are wound up like a tight spring and choke bad, seem to be the aggressors all the time, there just seems to be such a lack of humility and no keeping egos in check.

Fitzsimons should've been sent off tonight. Awful tackle/assault. That said I am delighted Lee Keegan will never see an All Ireland medal for his GPS cheating, an embarrassment to your county and the GAA in general, a long term ban for bringing the game into disrepute at the very least for that. The desperation, egos, underhanded play and most of all this sense of entitlement of winning an AI seem to be your biggest obstacles.

Best of luck next year, you've a few promising players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

Thats exactly what 2014 was. Dublin were caught out and we missed our chance because we didn't deal with Donaghey.

The Mayo egos still seem massively overinflated. Are they hailed as heroes wherever they go in Mayo?

Would love to know what happened in the tunnel but mayo, again Mayo are wound up like a tight spring and choke bad, seem to be the aggressors all the time, there just seems to be such a lack of humility and no keeping egos in check.

Fitzsimons should've been sent off tonight. Awful tackle/assault. That said I am delighted Lee Keegan will never see an All Ireland medal for his GPS cheating, an embarrassment to your county and the GAA in general, a long term ban for bringing the game into disrepute at the very least for that. The desperation, egos, underhanded play and most of all this sense of entitlement of winning an AI seem to be your biggest obstacles.

You'll find that Dublin player started it as usual. Dublin are great at the old cheating too. Dragging down players before they get goal chances is a prime example. Rolling around on the ground for a little slap.

Even the lads in the u20 squad are at it. The fella in the Galway in the last minute was an embrassment with his dive to get a free.

Mayo were beaten by a better team the Dublin bench was the difference. But as usual Dublin fans can't enjoy it and have to come out and attack as well. It's pretty sad.

But this team will slowly wane like all others when a few of the older players will go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Aggressors?

When we were a soft touch everyone said just that, we were soft. Have a look at a few of your own lads before sprouting this crap. No point in debating this as you are blinded by the antics of your professional fouler and the big mouth on the subs bench (a vile individual by all accounts).

Egos are few and far between on this team, but that wouldn't suit the media agenda now would it? All nice lads, easily approachable (too easy I've always thought) and in general an absolute great bunch of committed players. Brilliant to the young fans (and old) in this football obsessed county.

They're entitled to want to win an All Ireland. Why bother if not?

Your hate for Lee is funny. I'm delighted he can piss you off that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭Trampas

You'll find that Dublin player started it as usual. Dublin are great at the old cheating too. Dragging down players before they get goal chances is a prime example. Rolling around on the ground for a little slap.

Even the lads in the u20 squad are at it. The fella in the Galway in the last minute was an embrassment with his dive to get a free.

Mayo were beaten by a better team the Dublin bench was the difference. But as usual Dublin fans can't enjoy it and have to come out and attack as well. It's pretty sad.

But this team will slowly wane like all others when a few of the older players will go.

Philly said mayo wanted murchan to do elf on the shelf for them but he said no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Blud

Trampas wrote: »

Ah that old Dublin wit. Hilarious it was.

Trampas wrote: »

And murchin said, “with Philly, someone else is always to blame”. Telling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Mayo will win an all-ireland within 10years possibly 5.... stephen coen wil be captain..

I don't know about that. Mayo are just missing that cuteness shot selection it can be learnt. If they find two-three clinical forwards to what they already have.
    Mayo are a team that are almost there. They work like dogs and are a fit as anything. But even the fittest teams need a bench. If I was the Mayo CB I would be scouring the country for any quality forward. Not just from Mayo but other counties. It would transform Mayo. Two/three quality forwards. Mayo way too dependant on C'OConnor. Plus Aiden O'Shea seems to be living on reputation alone imo.

Interesting you mention scouring the country, I know representations were made to the Basquel boys over a number of years when they weren't getting near the Dublin panel but flying at club level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Lads ye were well in the game for a solid 60mins, was always going to be a tough game. Should be proud of the boys that played yesterday. Some of the best up and coming players in the country ye have, disappointing for sure but keep the chin up. Future looks good for this mayo side.

I think most mayo fans were hoping for a win rather than expecting one.

But with some good up and coming players in the squad who will have learned a lot about how to play in an all Ireland final and what it takes to win. You can't switch off and happened for the 2nd goal and players like Conroy will have learned a lot.

The short turnaround till the next season might mean a few sticking around and no retirements.

Anyone know what the semi finals line up is?

It was supposed to Ulster for us this season but was changed to Munster so I'm assuming it's Leinster for 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

I think most mayo fans were hoping for a win rather than expecting one.

But with some good up and coming players in the squad who will have learned a lot about how to play in an all Ireland final and what it takes to win. You can't switch off and happened for the 2nd goal and players like Conroy will have learned a lot.

The short turnaround till the next season might mean a few sticking around and no retirements.

Anyone know what the semi finals line up is?

It was supposed to Ulster for us this season but was changed to Munster so I'm assuming it's Leinster for 2021.

Yes I think it’s Leinster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

2021. Got to look forward and little time to iron out the frailties we have .

Got to win Connaught again and then an almighty heave to oust the dubs next year .

Yesterday is now over and we have more learned than last years semifinal . We have no excuses as the better team won . Well move on and focus on 2021z

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Achebe

Lee Keegan has an All Ireland medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Mayo will win an all-ireland within 10years possibly 5.... stephen coen wil be captain..

Thats Mayos 10th All Ireland loss since 1989. I really don't know how you guys keep going. You are a great bunch of supporters i must say. Surely one day this will soon end. They will be a film made if they ever reach the holy grail.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Saw the first few lines of Joe Brollys article today, don't buy Sunday Independent anymore anyone able to copy and paste it up here

Couldnt believe it when I heard he actually lives in Ballina in Mayo especially after his dire article on life coaching during the year attacked a ballina based life coach!!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement