Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

My dad also has that from a former county board member. Said he is staying for another year. Feels he was close this year and would have made it onto the field in the final but for the broken finger.

A fit Boyle rather than Plunkett would have made for a different game IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

threeball wrote: »
    Don't know how you can make that statement. He never played top level club never mind intercounty. Theres a world of difference between a top level player in Mayo and being one in KK, Tipp or Galway. Loads of lads look like superheros in their own limited world but very quickly find out the next level is light years away.
    I'm not saying he couldn't but saying he would be a fixture with a top level counties seniors is fantasyland.

Great footballer by the way, but very different codes.

I know Canning through my cousins and he has mentioned Zippy as someone he wished was from Galway. That's good enough for me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Don't know how you can make that statement. He never played top level club never mind intercounty. Theres a world of difference between a top level player in Mayo and being one in KK, Tipp or Galway. Loads of lads look like superheros in their own limited world but very quickly find out the next level is light years away.
    I'm not saying he couldn't but saying he would be a fixture with a top level counties seniors is fantasyland.

Didn't he play railway cup for Connacht and put in a top performance.
    Tweet from kilkenny's Richie Power
    This man could have graced any hurling field in the Country as well as being one of the best to kick the big ball. One of my favourite ballers to play the game. Enjoy retirement @keithhiggins7

Higgins is and was a class act, that goal in croke park against Roscommon was something else. A lot of experience leaving the squad.

All this staggered retirement announcements feels a bit destabilising, hopefully anymore will get it done and dusted so we can see what we have to pick from next year. Plenty of jerseys up for play in the squad for some of the younger lads

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mayodad

Did Michael Coleman from Annaghdown play football as well as hurling for Galway??
    He's the only one I can think of that might have won both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

What are everyone's thoughts about our options regarding replacements for the retirees?
    My thoughts but not in order of preference are as follows.
    Goalie:
    1. Colm Reape
    2. Robbie
    3. Jamie Mc Nicholas
    4. Conor o Malley
    As an outsider I'll throw in Alan Mc Callig from Claremorris. I think he played FBD A few years ago and when I've seen him in club games he seems very vocal and commanding around the square. He has a great kickout and could easily drive it past midfield.
    Corner backs:
    1. Rory Brikenden
    2. Eoin o Donohue
    3. Jack Coyne
    4. Stephen Coen
    5. Enda Hession

Midfield:
    1. Frank Irwin
    2. Evan o Brien
    3. Oisín Mullin
    4. Eoghan McLaughlin
    5. James Mc Cormack
    6. Conor o Shea

Forwards:
    1. Paul Towey
    2. Conal Dempsey
    3. Aidan Orme
    4. Conor Disk in
    5. Peter naughton
    6. Darren Mc Hale

Mayodad wrote: »
    What are everyone's thoughts about our options regarding replacements for the retirees?
    Goalie:
    1. Colm Reape
    2. Robbie
    3. Jamie Mc Nicholas
    4. Conor o Malley
    As an outsider I'll throw in Alan Mc Callig from Claremorris. I think he played FBD A few years ago and when I've seen him in club games he seems very vocal and commanding around the square. He has a great kickout and could easily drive it past midfield.
    Corner backs:
    1. Rory Brikenden
    2. Eoin o Donohue
    3. Jack Coyne
    4. Stephen Coen
    5. Enda Version

Midfield:
    1. Frank Irwin
    2. Evan o Brien
    3. Oisín Mullin
    4. Eoghan McLaughlin
    5. James Mc Cormack
    6. Conor o Shea

Forwards:
    1. Paul Towey
    2. Conal Dempsey
    3. Aidan Orme
    4. Conor Disk in
    5. Peter naughton
    6. Darren Mc Hale

Conor O'Shea - doubtful he will get another chance. Similar to Jason Gibbons in that he looks the part at club level but the step up to pace and intensity of IC seems to just be above him.

Peter Naughton - hasn't he thrown his lot in with Sligo?

Conor Diskin - This is one player who if is he is willing to do what is needed really could make a mark at IC level. Application and attitude though are suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Goalie:
    1. Colm Reape
    2. Robbie
    3. Jamie Mc Nicholas
    4. Conor o Malley
    Corner backs:
    1. Rory Brikenden
    2. Eoin o Donohue
    3. Jack Coyne
    4. Stephen Coen
    5. Enda Version

Midfield:
    1. Frank Irwin
    2. Evan o Brien
    3. Oisín Mullin
    4. Eoghan McLaughlin
    5. James Mc Cormack
    6. Conor o Shea

Forwards:
    1. Paul Towey
    2. Conal Dempsey
    3. Aidan Orme
    4. Conor Disk in
    5. Peter naughton
    6. Darren Mc Hale

I'd like to see Reape in goals for a few league games. No guarantee he'll make the grade, but he offers something different to every other goalkeeper available.

Stephen Coen and Enda Hession aren't natural corner backs which is what we need. I'd like David McBrien to get a run there during the league. Haven't seen much of Jack Coyne but Horan has name checked him a few times. Aside from that Eoin O'Donoghue and a fit Brendan Harrison would be our best bets.

Stephen Coen could be suited to midfield alongside Mattie Ruane. We could then put Oisín Mullin or Keegan in the half back line. Jack Carney Kilmeena could be another option in midfield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Jizique

Did Michael Coleman from Annaghdown play football as well as hurling for Galway??

Alan Kerins played for both

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Jizique wrote: »
    Alan Kerins played for both

Did both teams win though?. I think that's where the surprise lies for many - there were probably more than a few that played for both, but there seems to have been only the one that won the competition in both codes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

km79 wrote: »

Nice one.

Hopefully every member of the panel makes a similar social media announcement for no other reason other than to p1ss off Joe Brolly

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Nice one.

Hopefully every member of the panel makes a similar social media announcement for no other reason other than to p1ss off Joe Brolly

I wouldn't be worried about what that proven spoofer has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

There's never been a better time for a Mayo club footballer aspiring to play at the highest level with the plethora of retirements.

Matthew Flanagan is a goalkeeper who in past times I'd have thought is another who'd be worthy of consideration.

David Mc Brien has been mentioned,ditto Jack Coyne.

Any thoughts on Seamus Cunniffe?

O Donoghue and Harrison would be starters in the full back line.Eoin O Donoghue IMO would grow into the position.

Frank Irwin if we can hold onto him is a midfield superstar in the making.Not convinced Stephen Coen is suited long term to a role i lar na pairce,ditto Conor Loftus.

Some great shouts for up front.

Orme for such a young lad has that je ne sais quoi,that something different.Towey is another very talented player,Mark Moran.

Can Peter Naughton not jump ship and return to his native county if he was extended an offer?

What's the story with Ethan Henry?

There's a lot of very talented young players...Paddy Heneghan is another that comes to mind.Castlebar Mitchels have a number of promising young forwards,can they make the transition?

TBF I firmly believe James Horan will scour the county for new talent and leave no stone unturned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Blackjack wrote: »
    Did both teams win though?. I think that's where the surprise lies for many - there were probably more than a few that played for both, but there seems to have been only the one that won the competition in both codes.
    You see Connacht did not win a Railway Cup in football between 1969 and 2014 so anyone who had a Hurling and football medal before Higgins was way in the past.

• Advertisement

You see Connacht did not win a Railway Cup in football between 1969 and 2014 so anyone who had a Hurling and football medal before Higgins was way in the past.

If Wikipedia is reliable, then Connacht won hurling in 1947, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1986, 1987, 1989, 1991, 1994, 1999, 2004.
    Football was 1934, 1936, 1937, 1938, 1951, 1957, 1958, 1967, 1969, 2014.

Going by that, unless there was a hurler in 1947, or at a stretch 2004 who has a medal in the football too, I think Higgins would indeed be the only one from Connacht with a winners medal in both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

No, you're thinking probably of Mattie (football, 0 AI) and brother Michael (hurling, 1 AI) from Monivea/Abbey. Mattie lives in Annaghdown for whom his son Niall played football (and for Galway).

On a related topic, Tooreen‘a Joe Henry is mentioned in this article

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/accidents-of-birth-and-the-peter-otoole-of-hurling-the-top-50-hurlers-who-missed-out-on-all-star-glory-40020735.html

“ 47 JOE HENRY (Mayo)

He won three Railway Cup medals with a Galway-dominated Connacht team in the 1980s. How many All-Stars would he have won if he were born in Galway?”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    On a related topic, Tooreen‘a Joe Henry is mentioned in this article

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/accidents-of-birth-and-the-peter-otoole-of-hurling-the-top-50-hurlers-who-missed-out-on-all-star-glory-40020735.html

“ 47 JOE HENRY (Mayo)

He won three Railway Cup medals with a Galway-dominated Connacht team in the 1980s. How many All-Stars would he have won if he were born in Galway?”

More to the point, how many Mayo and Roscommon hurlers would have been selected for Connacht if they were Galwaymen? Mayo and Roscommon were hardly allowed a look in. But a few of their best hurlers were poached.

I don't know if Keith Higgins intends to continue at club level, but I hope he gives the county hurlers another year or two or three. He would be a big loss to them, even at his age. And with the hurlers he would have so much less pressure, and maybe more enjoyment than he ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

feargale wrote: »
    More to the point, how many Mayo and Roscommon hurlers would have been selected for Connacht if they were Galwaymen? Mayo and Roscommon were hardly allowed a look in. But a few of their best hurlers were poached.

I don't know if Keith Higgins intends to continue at club level, but I hope he gives the county hurlers another year or two or three. He would be a big loss to them, even at his age. And with the hurlers he would have so much less pressure, and maybe more enjoyment than he ever had.

"I spoke to the hurling manager Derek Walsh at the beginning of the week as well. I said as long as I was able to give it a go I;d come back in with them. It's always been a passion of mine to play hurling as well."
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0128/1193728-keith-higgins-i-feel-lucky-to-have-had-so-long-at-it/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

"I spoke to the hurling manager Derek Walsh at the beginning of the week as well. I said as long as I was able to give it a go I;d come back in with them. It's always been a passion of mine to play hurling as well."
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2021/0128/1193728-keith-higgins-i-feel-lucky-to-have-had-so-long-at-it/

Was wondering where his love of hurling came from and found it answered in an article.
    His father was a Galway man and it was from his influence that Higgins' grá for the small ball grew.

"It really came from my father I suppose. He's a Galway man originally, he moved down to Mayo and they kind of got hurling going down in Ballyhaunis there in the late 80s.

"When we were growing up, it was always Galway hurling games instead of Mayo football games. It's from his background more than anything."

Was wondering where his love of hurling came from and found it answered in an article.

Yeah, Pete was originally from Ballygar. Sound as a pound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

Yeah, Pete was originally from Ballygar. Sound as a pound.

And Ballygar is hardly a hurling stronghold!

spakman wrote: »
    And Ballygar is hardly a hurling stronghold!

Exactly. Junior B territory!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭ballina1953

rumour than kevin mcloughlin is gone as well

I'd be surprised but also not surprised if this happened. New baby that was born during the second part of the league. I'd also guess that he wants to start paying more attention to the day job as well with a view to moving on up the ladder. He also has serious milage on the clock. Takes some amount of hits and due to his influence on games has taken alot of abuse off the ball as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

No way . Kevin has so much to offer the current team . It can’t be true .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

No way . Kevin has so much to offer the current team . It can’t be true .

Its not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'd be surprised but also not surprised if this happened. New baby that was born during the second part of the league. I'd also guess that he wants to start paying more attention to the day job as well with a view to moving on up the ladder. He also has serious milage on the clock. Takes some amount of hits and due to his influence on games has taken alot of abuse off the ball as well.

We should know better than to be be believing bullsh1t rumours at this stage.
    I thought kevin is a teacher?

HBC08 wrote: »
    We should know better than to be be believing bullsh1t rumours at this stage.
    I thought kevin is a teacher?

Hence my comment about concentrating on the day job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't think you can argue either way about whether Higgins would be a fixture on a top level hurling county team.

His hurling skills were developed in Mayo thus he would not have had the level of training and expertise available in hurling counties, but equally he would have much more competition for his place in a hurling county.

I'll just stick with the fact that he was a great county footballer.

Hence my comment about concentrating on the day job.

Possibly the most compatible job with an inter county career? I don't get your point.

Possibly the most compatible job with an inter county career? I don't get your point.

If he wants to progress further up the ladder then he will need to devote more time to the day job. An APII , API, vice or principal role will need more time. Remember he is 33 as well and has been on the squad since 2009.

If he wants to progress further up the ladder then he will need to devote more time to the day job. An APII , API, vice or principal role will need more time. Remember he is 33 as well and has been on the squad since 2009.

Ah look,being an inter county player for another year or two isn't going to hurt his teaching career.The fact he has a new baby would be much more of a consideration.

He's a great player,the most underrated player in the country in my opinion.,it's bizarre that he never won an all-star.He seems to be a dedicated guy and keeps himself in good shape.He still has the same step and pace, I don't see him retiring for another while

Kevin is 31, doesn't turn 32 until May.

RedDevil55 wrote: »

Apologies, must have got my years mixed up.

RedDevil55 wrote: »

Born in 1988 so turns 33 this year as I understand it.

Born in 1988 so turns 33 this year as I understand it.

He was born in 89. Mayo minor in 2007 and captain of the U21s in 2010...

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/shine-lights-up-rossies-title-bid-26641948.html

See Boyler is part of the Davitts senior management team. First step on the ladder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭kegg

Green&Red wrote: »
    Its not

Indeed. That rumour was started on Facebook by an attention seeking knob who thinks he's some kind of comedian. Sad to see that some people there find him hilarious.

It's a sad state puff affairs when all we can talk about is a rumour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

It's a sad state puff affairs when all we can talk about is a rumour!

It’s better than our annual chat about the latest county board controversy though :D

Ohh what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Tim O Leary back tweeting again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

seligehgit wrote: »
    Tim O Leary back tweeting again?

I can't seem to find him? Maybe he blocked me for calling him a greenhorn?

• Advertisement

Is it the forum flutes again with the photos of the team van?

Yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Blackjack wrote: »
    Yep

What's this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Aido does an interview with Jarlath Regan this week on An Irishman Abroad podcast.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement