Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

seligehgit wrote:
    I'm supposed to be heading to Slane.

Why would it stop you going to Slane? We won't be playing until June the 22nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Enough time for them to learn how to get the ball between the posts?

I despair. There's an easy way and a hard way, and Mayo always seem to end up taking the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Ah fair play,forgot we aren't in the first round of the qualifiers.

So no draw for us tomorrow I'm presuming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Call me Al wrote: »
    Enough time for them to learn how to get the ball between the posts?

I despair. There's an easy way and a hard way, and Mayo always seem to end up taking the hard way.

The manager seems to be determined to do that alright
    Refusing to use all available subs when lads are on their last legs
    Has to be demoralizing for the likes of Eoin O Donoghue in particular who Horan seems to have taken his weird inexplicable sets on

km79 wrote: »
    I’ll be in Portugal !

Where's your commitment km79?:D

My sis was questioning my sanity considering missing the Slane gig for a qualified game.

At least our good friend has provided glad tidings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

km79 wrote:
    The manager seems to be determined to do that alright Refusing to use all available subs when lads are on their last legs Has to be demoralizing for the likes of Eoin O Donoghue in particular who Horan seems to have taken his weird inexplicable sets on

You'd have to wonder what has happened there. Why carry him in the squad, let alone the match day 26 when he clearly has little or no faith in him? Did Eoin even see game time in the league this spring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Syferus wrote: »
    jr86 wrote: »
    Perhaps but with only one top class forward over the last few years (plus a great season from Moran that coincided with a mixed one from COC) I don't think we can have too many complaints either. Struggling to recall an All Ireland winning side that didn't have 4 plus top forwards

If this really is the effective curtain call for that core there is something fitting about it ending the way it started. Rain, wind, and a bounce of a ball.

Not the curtain call stuff again. The average age of the team that started last night was 27 by my reckoning.

In 4 weeks, hopefully Cillian will be fit or alot closer. All the games close together will do the younger team members good as long as we win them that is.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Where's your commitment km79?:D

My sis was questioning my sanity considering missing the Slane gig for a qualified game.

At least our good friend has provided glad tidings.

For you
    I will be in Portugal for the 22nd !

muddle84 wrote: »
    Not the curtain call stuff again. The average age of the team that started last night was 27 by my reckoning.

In 4 weeks, hopefully Cillian will be fit or alot closer. All the games close together will do the younger team members good as long as we win them that is.

The qualifiers first time around allowed Rochford to fine tune his team selection and tactics
    It should allow Horan to do the same , rectify mistakes ( goalkeeper , sweeper ) whilst hopefully getting lads back fit
    However
    I have absolutely no faith whatsoever Horan will learn anything . He refuses too. He is still in 2014. He has one way of playing and god be with anyone who dares question it

It’s entertaining football but brain dead from management at times

But this is what people wanted to enjoy !
    Sure who needs a silly old sweeper when Higgins is one of a 2 man full back line marking his man from 10 yards in front
    Great craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So we're in the hat tomorrow morning?

Are all the qualifier games played on the Saturday?

I'm supposed to be heading to Slane.:mad:

Not on the hat tomorrow morning

They got to a SF so they start in Round 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭crusier

If you can't beat Roscommon at home you are going nowhere. Smell the roses!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

crusier wrote: »

The same was said about Mayo when beaten at home to Galway in 2016. Would be a foolish man to write off a squad of players that has recovered from these type of set backs before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Now now.. Don't be silly.
    You haven't seen the end of us and well you know it!

Call me Al wrote: »
    Now now.. Don't be silly.
    You haven't seen the end of us and well you know it!

I had seen the last of his posts though till ye started quoting them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Probably true enough although personally I think there is a pattern in mayo losing games with certain circumstances that this fits right into.

Wet days against counter attacking teams seems to be a blindspot for mayo. Galway have beaten them numerous times in this manner and Roscommon just had the cop on to follow that script too. We have too many guys who insist on carrying the ball in all scenarios. It's a bit braindead. Then when the opposition get wise to it and the conditions allow, it becomes our biggest flaw. Now I know hennelly done damage too, but on the bigger scheme of things, it is our play over the 75 minutes that is costing us.

The good news is, it isnt difficult to change, and a simple change of tac/personnel on a given day could sort it. The bad news is, we havent managed to cop onto it for 5 years and if our next oppositions manager has any bit of nous he will do the same thing...

Also, it must be said, oconnor putting mcloughlin on that last free was daft. He didnt want to take it and it is clear he doesnt like the frees. Loftus wanted it. He should have got it. I blame oconnor more than mcloughlin for that last miss.

Also, it must be said, oconnor putting mcloughlin on that last free was daft. He didnt want to take it and it is clear he doesnt like the frees. Loftus wanted it. He should have got it. I blame oconnor more than mcloughlin for that last miss.[/quote]

I blame the manager for leaving it to the players so if that is the case

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

Also, it must be said, oconnor putting mcloughlin on that last free was daft. He didnt want to take it and it is clear he doesnt like the frees. Loftus wanted it. He should have got it. I blame oconnor more than mcloughlin for that last miss.

I blame the manager for leaving it to the players so if that is the case[/QUOTE]

I call it a bottle job. None of them wanted responsibility of a simple free for a junior player let a lone an inter county player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Robson99 wrote: »
    I call it a bottle job. None of them wanted responsibility of a simple free for a junior player let a lone an inter county player

Loftus wanted it, should've been let take it

I blame the manager for leaving it to the players so if that is the case

I call it a bottle job. None of them wanted responsibility of a simple free for a junior player let a lone an inter county player[/quote]

I call it not paying attention to the finer details
    The managers job

If Brendan Harrison showed the bottle would you have been happy if HE decided HE was gonna take it ?
    Manager decides
    Nothing should be left to chance
    He took off 2 of the 3 starting free takers (don’t even get me started on that )
    That left Robbie who he trusted from 50 yard frees
    I had ASSUMED when he subbed doc that he said to loftus that he was now the close range free taker
    Obviously not
    Details

Lads it was a simple 21 yard free that you would expect a 14 year old would pop over with his eyes closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

A few big concerns from yesterday...
    1. What sort of defensive set up is Horan pursuing? At one stage Barret let the ball fly over his head, didn’t even contest it, not to mention he didn’t have a clue where the Roscommon forward he was supposed to be marking was...
    2. Stop giving Hennelly chances in big games. He doesn’t have the mental strength for it. And why on Earth was he put on free taking duty, his conversion rate is rubbish.
    3. Forward play, springing Andy Moran from the bench early on to replace Coen is a slap in the face to the younger, quicker forwards on the bench. Show some faith and play them.
    4. Are internal politics and lack of preparation for this game to blame for this abysmal showing?
    5. How does a team that allowed itself to think it could be an Ireland contender not have a proper set up for their free taking without COC?
    Based on yesterday, they fully deserved to lose and it’ll be a short summer.
    It’s just not good enough for Mayo’s supporters. Team management yesterday was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Cox only scored 3 points from play at the end of the day so it was hardly a disaster. In fact all 3 were top class efforts from long range or on his weak foot. Harrison wasn't the reason we lost the game.

We dominated possession so the 2 goals conceded were a killer as well as our missed chances, frees especially. That's all the analysis needed really.

I wasn`t criticising your full back. I was defending him by pointing out that Cox is a real hand-full for any defender with not just his finish but with his ability to win ball. Something Roscommon used well last night.

Agree totally on the possession. Mayo totally dominated at mid-field, especially on Roscommon kick-outs. The two goals were a blow, but the real killer was all the missed chances and terrible free taking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

The frees killed us why oh why the fu1ck do we not have a free taker besides hennelly His strick rate is shocking and then the goals so his confidence was shot.
    De we not learn from or mistakes of yrs gone by.
    Thought Keegan was poor last night Allso Higgins is done in my eyes it’s being said before but after last night game surly he’s impact sub material

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Hopefully the return of Coc will take care of that. Big issue is the Gk issue. Plus they need a plan B for teams that play like Galway and Roscommon seem to be copying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Horan has never had a plan B, it's always been his biggest failing and it looks like nothing has changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

franklyon wrote: »
    Hopefully the return of Coc will take care of that. Big issue is the Gk issue. Plus they need a plan B for teams that play like Galway and Roscommon seem to be copying them.

There’s a lot of talk that his knee operation did not go well even though he played for his club so god knows when he will be back

naughto wrote: »
    There’s a lot of talk that his knee operation did not go well even though he played for his club so god knows when he will be back

Doesn't quite tally with what I heard.

I believe he came back for the club a tad too early post operation and was feeling it a bit.So the surgeons were going to have another look at it.

More than probably do a scope of sorts so it may not be all bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Syferus

Lads it was a simple 21 yard free that you would expect a 14 year old would pop over with his eyes closed.

This is total nonsense. It was the match saving free facing into wind and heavy rain, out near the sideline. It wasn’t a routine kick by any measure. You either weren’t at the match, don’t understand what those conditions do when you’re trying to set your feet for a kick or you know a lot of fûcking superhuman 14 year olds.

McLoughlin was something like third or fourth choice free taker if everyone was available for Mayo too so laying blame at his door is a bit rich to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

You'd wonder when he'll be ready. If he's even doing a whole lot in training.

• Advertisement

PressRun wrote: »
    You'd wonder when he'll be ready. If he's even doing a whole lot in training.

It’s a HUGE worry now
    I have to say the lads arguing his diminishing importance and the morons saying he may not even start have gone quiet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Blow in to Mayo here so only follow the county team and wouldn't know the club scene that well. Who in the Mayo panel are the main free takers for their clubs? I can't believe that without COC that Mayo don't have a dedicated backup. There should be a clear second and third choice when COC is out.

Hennelly should not be taking frees, let alone be the main keeper. His kicking technique if very unnatural, especially for frees. Cox, and the likes of Beggan, Cluxton are all very comfortable kicking the ball from the ground.

History seems to be repeating itself for Horan. He hasn't learned the lessons from his first spell in charge and is blinded by loyalty to certain players.

On the COC rumours, I also heard that he may be out for a good while yet.

Horan has never had a plan B, it's always been his biggest failing and it looks like nothing has changed

Spot on
    And it's annoying that it seems to be the case in 2019 just as it was in 2014

he had no plan from Donaghey either day in 2014, just did the same thing in the replay as the first day

With Rochford he seemed to take each game on it's own and adjust as required.
    The QF v Tyrone where he played Dillion
    Putting AO'S on Donaghey that was ridiculed at the time but on closer analysis seems to be a good idea
    Even putting in Hennelly for the replay when they saw that Clarke's kick-outs were a area Dublin had target.
    Had Robbie not spilled that ball and Dublin got three points from some other source in the 70+ minutes no one would be talking about it.

I hope to God Horan has improved in that regard, I hope that he has improved is vision of the game or has surrounded himself with people that have.

In reality it's early days yet, a one point loss on the back of what were two early quick goals
    Hopefully they can regroup for the qualifiers for the first time under Horan and get things sorted

And hopefully Cillian will eb back soon, he is dearly missed

naughto wrote: »
    recyclebin wrote: »
    Blow in to Mayo here so only follow the county team and wouldn't know the club scene that well. Who in the Mayo panel are the main free takers for their clubs? I can't believe that without COC that Mayo don't have a dedicated backup. There should be a clear second and third choice when COC is out.

Hennelly should not be taking frees, let alone be the main keeper. His kicking technique if very unnatural, especially for frees. Cox, and the likes of Beggan, Cluxton are all very comfortable kicking the ball from the ground.

History seems to be repeating itself for Horan. He hasn't learned the lessons from his first spell in charge and is blinded by loyalty to certain players.

On the COC rumours, I also heard that he may be out for a good while yet.

Jason Doherty historically has been the backup free taker but he's gone off the boil in this regard.

We've had several options tried for frees taken off the right side.

Kevin Mc many moons ago used to take them but he's never enjoyed taking them nor been particularly successful at same.

I was talking to a lad last night and he said he takes the frees for Knockmore. I'm sure he takes some but Peter Naughton is their main taker.

Evan Regan has on occasion taken frees most especially off the right hand side with mixed results.

TBF I thought he'd one of his better outings in the green and red last night and Coen was our main threat yet even he was hit and miss.

Niall Douglas is the Mitchels free taker alongside David Stenson.

TBH in spite of a drop in his conversion rate Cillian is by a country mile our best free taker and main threat from play.

He's so sorely missed,he really can't come back quick enough.

It’s a HUGE worry now
    I have to say the lads arguing his diminishing importance and the morons saying he may not even start have gone quiet

It is certainly a worry.
    It's funny cos you often hear things through the grapevine when a player is close to returning, but there doesn't seem to be much talk at all about Cillian and where he's at in his recovery.

Jason Doherty historically has been the backup free taker but he's gone off the boil in this regard.

Jason has had some good days on them, 2017 semi final being one, but not reliable enough. Obviously free taking is not an exact science, but he has a sort of odd technique that doesn't always work.
    He also took a knock the last night and wasnt right after it. He probably should have been taken off then.

• Advertisement

PressRun wrote: »
    Jason has had some good days on them, 2017 semi final being one, but not reliable enough. Obviously free taking is not an exact science, but he has a sort of odd technique that doesn't always work.
    He also took a knock the last night and wasnt right after it. He probably should have been taken off then.
    Which made the decision to take off Regan much earlier baffling

Syferus wrote: »
    This is total nonsense. It was the match saving free facing into wind and heavy rain, out near the sideline. It wasn’t a routine kick by any measure. You either weren’t at the match, don’t understand what those conditions do when you’re trying to set your feet for a kick or you know a lot of fûcking superhuman 14 year old.

Its on the 21 10 yds to the right of the post. Actually I'dsay most 12 year olds would fancy it. Stop making excuses for him bottling it. It was a shocking miss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Its on the 21 10 yds to the right of the post. Actually I'dsay most 12 year olds would fancy it. Stop making excuses for him bottling it. It was a shocking miss

Yes it was a bad miss. Mcloughlin was shaking his head before DOC was looking for him. it was very clear he did not want to take it. I have no issue with him as he has/and will be a fantastic player for us. The miss is not the issue in this game

The real problem is conceding soft goals and in particular a gift with RH. We need to stop acting the clown with goalies and use the best goalie (Clarke).
    I would have pulled higgins off straight after that goal and put in EOD. Horan needs to make some calls like this to get players in line for what they need to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Exactly. If you see a problem/mismatch/somebody just not at the races either switch things around on the pitch or pull them off.
    If it was up to me i would have pulled Higgins off put Diarmuid into midfield as he was having zero impact up front and pushed AOS full forward.

May or may not have worked but it would have made things a lot less predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

franklyon wrote: »
    Exactly. If you see a problem/mismatch/somebody just not at the races either switch things around on the pitch or pull them off.
    If it was up to me i would have pulled Higgins off put Diarmuid into midfield as he was having zero impact up front and pushed AOS full forward.

May or may not have worked but it would have made things a lot less predictable.

Aidan in midfield was the one thing that was 100% working. It would have been outrageous to change that.

No way should Regan have been the 1st forward off. He had scored a point from play and was doing his stuff from frees. We missed 2 on his side after he was hooked.

On the issue of freetakers outside Cillian, I think Loftus and Regan are the most reliable on the panel. Not perfect but I don't remember them missing many sitters. I've never trusted Jason Doc tbh. His style of play is very physically demanding which must lead him to be gassed for some kicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

James Horan said all our injured players with the exception of Tom Parsons will be back in full training next week .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Excuse the stupid question but can a player who has been subbed (not a temp sub) be put back onto the field? I assumed not, but Ive heard a few people talk about throwing Regan back in for the free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Who do Mayo play in their qualifier folks
    Wasn't mentioned in the draw this morning

Excuse the stupid question but can a player who has been subbed (not a temp sub) be put back onto the field? I assumed not, but Ive heard a few people talk about throwing Regan back in for the free

Yes

Who do Mayo play in their qualifier folks
    Wasn't mentioned in the draw this morning

Not in round 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Ah yeah thanks

They certainly can.

Famously done by Tyrone in the 2003 final where they took off Canavan, gave him a rest and put him back on.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Frustrating to say the least, those who needed to pull out the big games imploded. Robbie had one great game in the league final but has reverted to form with Saturdays performance. Can't be trusted not to mess up and that will kill our backline. Also his conversion rate now can't leave him in that position to take frees.
    Rossies forwards are some of the best out there, and while I expected them to take us on I didn't see it been that easy.
    Poor performances from our most experienced players but hats off to Coen, quality scores and was easily our top forward.
    Horan did his usual and hasn't learned from his years watching us in the studios.

We are still in the championship and it would be silly to rule us out. But it will come down to the reaction of Horan now around the goalkeeper, sticking with a free taker and shifting it from one to the next. His subs were much too late and a kick in the teeth to seeing Andy come in ahead of some of them.

As for the Galway lads on here celebrating, Cox will have a field day with that FB line, so don't go counting too many chickens just yet, but Galway won't have 17 wides so should still win.

Brolly performance last night was very poor to say the least, for someone who gets a regular bed in Mayo he really is burning bridges. If we get him in the masters this year he'll certainly get the attention he is seeking ;)

Monaghan drew Fermanagh in round one
    Nasty enough draw
    Would rather avoid the winners of that one in round 2

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Monaghan drew Fermanagh in round one
    Nasty enough draw
    Would rather avoid the winners of that one in round 2

And you know we won't ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement