Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Comer has tapered off imo. He is not the player he was about 2/3 years ago. Now he still has the potential and I did think he was going to be something really special for Galway but with injuries etc I think he is not the same guy. I think he has lost his aggression on the field which was a real admirable thing to see.

I think he tried to come back to early from injury and he always seems to be injured now?

I remember that Galway vs Kerry quarter final and he looked like the only player that believed they could win that day and he was immense but couldn't do it on his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

muddle84 wrote:
    I think he tried to come back to early from injury and he always seems to be injured now?

Basically three years injured since he hurt his ankle. Two years ago in Limerick was brought against Mayo and was out of gas very quick. Had a good start to the league last year which actually coinciding with Galways best run of form (looking back at now it's hard to know how true a picture that form was) was brought on early in the league after lockdown against Mayo when ye hammered us out the gate and injured his hamstring not long after coming on. Was brought on late against ye again in championship last year and was out of gas by the time he had ran onto the field and took his position.

From limited ball I thought he showed well against Dublin this year. Pace and power seems to be present it's just getting him on the pitch at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Comer has tapered off imo. He is not the player he was about 2/3 years ago. Now he still has the potential and I did think he was going to be something really special for Galway but with injuries etc I think he is not the same guy. I think he has lost his aggression on the field which was a real admirable thing to see.

Totally agree fabulous baller with a controlled aggression but the injuries do appear to have taken a toll.

Basically three years injured since he hurt his ankle. Two years ago in Limerick was brought against Mayo and was out of gas very quick. Had a good start to the league last year which actually coinciding with Galways best run of form (looking back at now it's hard to know how true a picture that form was) was brought on early in the league after lockdown against Mayo when ye hammered us out the gate and injured his hamstring not long after coming on. Was brought on late against ye again in championship last year and was out of gas by the time he had ran onto the field and took his position.

From limited ball I thought he showed well against Dublin this year. Pace and power seems to be present it's just getting him on the pitch at this stage.

When he is gassing that quickly i think he was back too early! Don't get me wrong he is a huge asset to that Galway team and is badly missed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Seems like the strategy of playing Aido at 14 had run it's course based on league selections. I wonder if CoC's injury might see a change to that - though DoC's injury leaves them a bit short in midfield too.

I'd love to see someone like James Carr really step up and make it his own, but can't see it somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Seems like the strategy of playing Aido at 14 had run it's course based on league selections. I wonder if CoC's injury might see a change to that - thought DoC's injury leaves them a bit short in midfield too.

I'd love to see someone like James Carr really step up and make it his own, but can't see it somehow.

Not a fan of Aido at 14 as he just gets fouled out of the game there. Prefer him at midfield in a defensive role. He was excellent there all during 2019 along side Matty Ruane.
    Would be great if Jason Doc was ready as I think he'd be ideal at 14 in place of Cillian. I think Carr does need to step up - he's certainly got talent but he's got a tendency to take pot shots from distance rather than work the ball in.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Blackjack wrote: »
    Not a fan of Aido at 14 as he just gets fouled out of the game there. Prefer him at midfield in a defensive role. He was excellent there all during 2019 along side Matty Ruane.
    Would be great if Jason Doc was ready as I think he'd be ideal at 14 in place of Cillian. I think Carr does need to step up - he's certainly got talent but he's got a tendency to take pot shots from distance rather than work the ball in.

He cleans too much up in midfield and is a top tackler so wasted at 14, but he can go between both. But if DOC is out then he has to come in.

I think Jason Doc can go inside right and play a similar role to COC , it wouldn't require the same fitness as the 10-12 line would and he is an accurate forward.

As said above there are a lot of players now who have a massive opportunity to get a spot for the year.
    The list of players who have come and "gone" in the last 2-3 years is long but none you'd pull in immediately to cover, I won't use the word replace, COC or into that 1/2 forward line or full forward line.

Towey, Boland, McDonagh, Morans * 2. Oisin McLaughlin, Carr, Cian Hanley, Mickey Murray, Coen, Brian Reape, Tracey, James Durcan, Conor Loftus, Conor O'Shea, Adam Gallagher.

We had a few more like Neil Douglas and Danny Kirby who were in, I am missing more I am sure but thats 16-18 players tried and I'd struggle to pull 1-3 who push in for this years championship.
    There are a good chunk who have had big games or a couple of games but then just disappear or fade out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Seems like the strategy of playing Aido at 14 had run it's course based on league selections. I wonder if CoC's injury might see a change to that - though DoC's injury leaves them a bit short in midfield too.

Well the likes of carr always had to play second fiddle to coc inside. Being more of a central figure could bring performances out of guys. Not unlike when mortimer walked and coc became the figurehead of the attack - it undoubtedly helped develop him as a player.
    I think the advanced mark could be part of the reason why aos will feature inside at times. They need to start finding him with decent ball when he does though.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Well the likes of carr always had to play second fiddle to coc inside. Being more of a central figure could bring performances out of guys. Not unlike when mortimer walked and coc became the figurehead of the attack - it undoubtedly helped develop him as a player.
    I think the advanced mark could be part of the reason why aos will feature inside at times. They need to start finding him with decent ball when he does though.

With Diarmuid out for a while I think it makes sense to put AOS in midfield beside Ruane. That's where he played his best stuff against Clare. I don't think AOS works inside. He's not a reliable enough scorer. Ryan O'Donoghue seems to really have the hang of the advanced mark, simply because he makes clever runs out to the wing and catches the ball into his chest. Aido won't be able to do that.

So maybe a full forward line of Tommy, James Carr and Ryan. We could play Loftus at 11 then as he's probably the best free taking option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    With Diarmuid out for a while I think it makes sense to put AOS in midfield beside Ruane. That's where he played his best stuff against Clare. I don't think AOS works inside. He's not a reliable enough scorer. Ryan O'Donoghue seems to really have the hang of the advanced mark, simply because he makes clever runs out to the wing and catches the ball into his chest. Aido won't be able to do that.

So maybe a full forward line of Tommy, James Carr and Ryan. We could play Loftus at 11 then as he's probably the best free taking option?

Is oshea fully fit though? Dont forget he is only back himself. I think he was left on for the full game against clare because of that big mf they had. I wouldnt be surprised if loftus come back in at mf, or maybe Jordan flynn.
    I get what you say re oshea, but with the advanced mark, if he got into a one on one position in there and caught a couple of diagonal balls, he can just tap them over from a placed kick. I can see him at 11 and rotating inside.

RedDevil55 wrote: »

I'd agree with all of that except that is a very young FF line - I suppose you have to try it sometime.
    Same question around Aido's fitness as from MayoAreMagic - he did very well in the first half the last day but struggled in the second as he was dragged out of position (clever move by Collins too). I wouldn't have him in FF as we've seen defenders just pull and drag him all day long and never getting the calls.

Blackjack wrote: »
    I'd agree with all of that except that is a very young FF line - I suppose you have to try it sometime.
    Same question around Aido's fitness as from MayoAreMagic - he did very well in the first half the last day but struggled in the second as he was dragged out of position (clever move by Collins too). I wouldn't have him in FF as we've seen defenders just pull and drag him all day long and never getting the calls.

I never liked Oshea in too deep as it frustrates the crap out of me when he has appeared 50 yards out taking a free!!!!!!

I would much prefer to see Horan make use of the mobility and pace we have up front now and keep O'shea in the middle of the field. Himself and Ruane worked quite well there in 2019

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

How far is Jason Doherty from returning?

He's back now. The weekend of the westmeath game he played in a challenge game with the rest of the panel members against the U20 team. He also played for Burrishoole last weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

A more pertinent question, is will he be in any cit shape to add anything to the county team within the next two months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

A more pertinent question, is will he be in any cit shape to add anything to the county team within the next two months.

Without doubt Jason Doherty is a massive addition . Before his injury he was almost at his peak in football . If he is anything remotely close to it then he is a starter .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Without doubt Jason Doherty is a massive addition . Before his injury he was almost at his peak in football . If he is anything remotely close to it then he is a starter .

For sligo letrim no bother but as the games get tougher that is where the injury he had will start to show I hope he has a full bill of health come galway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Thou

Back playing club football alright, but it's going to take him time, had a reoccurance of the cruciate injury didn't he. Expecting him to hit peak form at inter county level again after being out for so long is crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

naughto wrote: »
    For sligo letrim no bother but as the games get tougher that is where the injury he had will start to show I hope he has a full bill of health come galway

Or Roscommon .......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

km79 wrote: »
    Or Roscommon .......

…… if we get that far

• Advertisement

Or Roscommon .......

Fully expected them to turn the rossies over they seem to be going backwards.
    Sligo letrim bottom of div 4 it says it all really

Thou wrote: »
    Back playing club football alright, but it's going to take him time, had a reoccurance of the cruciate injury didn't he. Expecting him to hit peak form at inter county level again after being out for so long is crazy.

It was the other knee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

It was the other knee.

Correct ,he's done the cruciate in both knees in the last two years.To be back at any level is some achievement both mental and physical.I didn't think he'd play for Mayo again but it's a testament to the man that's he's put himself back in the picture.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

HBC08 wrote: »
    Correct ,he's done the cruciate in both knees in the last two years.To be back at any level is some achievement both mental and physical.I didn't think he'd play for Mayo again but it's a testament to the man that's he's put himself back in the picture.

Very much agree. Age and 2 really serious injuries, you have to wonder where the appetite is from but when you look at himself and the cousin, aside from this year was playing FBD, league and championship every single season then there is some "want" to wear that Mayo jersey.

I'd really like to see him start in COC position as he brings a real wealth of experience and calm and also scores well from play and frees.

If we could get himself and Harrison back into that team then we will be much better for it as it will free up Keegan or Mullin.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 The Supporter

Darragh O Se wrote today in Irish Times "Complacency cost teams last year and it will do so again this year". I see Peter Keane(Kerry) is talking up Clare and Kieran Donaghy(Armagh) is also talking up Antrim, they both are making sure that Kerry and Armagh are properly tuned in to the challenges they face this weekend. Mayo are playing Sligo in Markievicz Park and the Sligo Manager knows the strenghts and weaknesses of the Senior Mayo Players (having worked with them for two or three years). Are Mayo properly tuned in for the challenge they will face in Sligo on Saturday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Darragh O Se wrote today in Irish Times "Complacency cost teams last year and it will do so again this year". I see Peter Keane(Kerry) is talking up Clare and Kieran Donaghy(Armagh) is also talking up Antrim, they both are making sure that Kerry and Armagh are properly tuned in to the challenges they face this weekend. Mayo are playing Sligo in Markievicz Park and the Sligo Manager knows the strenghts and weaknesses of the Senior Mayo Players (having worked with them for two or three years). Are Mayo properly tuned in for the challenge they will face in Sligo on Saturday?

Sligo finished last in the league. I can't see of being much of a challenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

yop wrote: »
    Very much agree. Age and 2 really serious injuries, you have to wonder where the appetite is from but when you look at himself and the cousin, aside from this year was playing FBD, league and championship every single season then there is some "want" to wear that Mayo jersey.

Who's Doc's cousin?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

**** off Darragh :)

MacDanger wrote: »
    Who's Doc's cousin?

Kevin McLaughlin

I think we will do our usual of pushing Sligo, conceding a goal or 2, then having the bench/fitness to pull ourselves through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

yop wrote: »
    Kevin McLaughlin

I think we will do our usual of pushing Sligo, conceding a goal or 2, then having the bench/fitness to pull ourselves through

it would be a damning indictment of the team if they concede goals to sligo. May as well park up the bus if that happens

• Advertisement

Squatman wrote: »
    it would be a damning indictment of the team if they concede goals to sligo. May as well park up the bus if that happens

We conceded 2-11 to them in 2015. Pushed Dublin to a replay that year.....

muddle84 wrote: »
    We conceded 2-11 to them in 2015. Pushed Dublin to a replay that year.....

Thats our "usual" :D

Oshea to start full forward is what iam hearing

naughto wrote: »
    Oshea to start full forward is what iam hearing

Team has been named. Loftus in for D O'C, Aido in at 14.

would prefer the other way around to be honest, Aido would be better in midfield in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

10 of the Mayo All Ireland final team from December. Out the retired Clarke, Barrett. The O'Connor brothers and S Coen.

1. Rob Hennelly
    2. Enda Hession
    3. Oisin Mullin
    4. Lee Keegan
    5. Paddy Durcan
    6. Michael Plunkett
    7. Eoghan McLaughlin
    8. Matthew Ruane
    9. Conor Loftus
    10. Kevin McLoughlin
    11. Darren McHale
    12. Bryan Walsh
    13. Tommy Conroy
    14. Aidan O Shea ( C )
    15. Ryan O Donoghue

Prefer to see Ryan O Donoghue out around centre half forward,Aido out around the middle.Toss up for the man inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

seligehgit wrote: »
    1. Rob Hennelly
    2. Enda Hession
    3. Oisin Mullin
    4. Lee Keegan
    5. Paddy Durcan
    6. Michael Plunkett
    7. Eoghan McLaughlin
    8. Matthew Ruane
    9. Conor Loftus
    10. Kevin McLoughlin
    11. Darren McHale
    12. Bryan Walsh
    13. Tommy Conroy
    14. Aidan O Shea ( C )
    15. Ryan O Donoghue

Prefer to see Ryan O Donoghue out around centre half forward,Aido out around the middle.Toss up for the man inside.

What are views on Hession - does he warrant a place ahead of EoD for example? I caught a couple of the league games on the radio so didn't see much of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Hopefully Sligo actually show something and make some kind of game from it.

Will be rooting for a big sligo performance this weekend, but no real doubt that mayo should be clear winners

What are views on Hession - does he warrant a place ahead of EoD for example? I caught a couple of the league games on the radio so didn't see much of him.

I think Hession was better than EOD in the league. Don't see anyone more deserving of a place unless Harrison returns to fitness and form.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

Looking at that team for Sunday, two things come to mind:

1. I'd be surprised if it actually starts as selected. Horan's teams generally aren't worth the virtual paper they're written on. So, possible late changes but certainly positional changes I would think.

2. Seems to be a bit of shadow boxing where he's not willing to show his hand as he expects to beat Sligo and Leitrim fairly handy (no disrespect to them, but let's be honest here). I really don't think he'd be starting a couple of rookies if we had been playing Galway or Roscommon. Now, granted injuries have forced his hand a bit here and I think we'll beat both while getting some valuable game time into the likes of AOS coming back from injuries along and the likes of Loftus who didn't see much action in the league along with the new lads getting some Championship experience.

If the league is anything to go by, we'll win despite ourselves and make Sligo look like world beaters at times. In other words, Horan ball in full effect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Game on telly anywhere?

Game on telly anywhere?

Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Game on telly anywhere?

Sky Sports have it....possibly channel 408

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Sky.
    Cartman78 wrote: »
    Sky Sports have it....possibly channel 408

Now there's prompt service!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

I just can’t get excited about the game for a few reasons . Mainly the loss of Cillian :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I just can’t get excited about the game for a few reasons . Mainly the loss of Cillian :(
    Same as that, but it's COVID that's doing it for me.

Two years of disjointed or Frankenstein league and straight knock out championship, with little or no fans.

Can't wait for it to get back to normal.

They used to say that about a certain Mortimer when he was out injured and its not the blonde one.id say you no him Kenneth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Beagslife

Jim McGuinness in the Irish Times

Can ye still be hating on Jim after that!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Anyone interested in getting sky sports for a month on nowtv for €15, code is SPMUNOWQAXWD

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement