Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

1196197198199200202»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Great 2nd half on a hot day. Would think you should have no issue going the full 70 with Dublin. I’m not convinced yet about your forward line against a good defence. Might struggle to get the scores like in the first half yesterday. Maybe E McLoughlin starting at half back might give a bit more penetration if forwards tightly marked. Combined with a few high balls to OShea. Think he’s going to win most of them and crowding him out might be the only way to stop him which might free up a bit of space for others. Anyway good luck. It should be close. COC still a huge loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭briandebum

Well done to Mayo, absolutely deserved winners. No matter what happens, ye should absolutely treasure James Horan while he's there. He might not get everything right but always guarantees the baseline of effort & fitness required to compete at the highest level. That's without mentioning his tactical acumen, what I'd give for a Galway team to have some semblance of a modern kick-out strategy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

IMO definitely Durcan’s fault for the second.

I’d blame Hennelly for the first one, he kinda came and then didn’t, leaving himself neither here nor there. Out and close down Walsh, let someone else cover the line

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

He came out and realised he wasn't going to get it and correctly returned to his line. If Hennelly goes out charging after that ball and gets caught in no mans land we know what everybody would be saying. 100% neither goal can be attributed to Hennelly (as much and all as people would love to)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

Am i completely off the mark with AOS or does anybody else see this stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

100%. His positioning for that goal was as good as it could be - it was defensive failure and not a goalkeeper error.

I didn’t see that myself. I can’t imagine that if he’s not following instructions that he’d be allowed stay on the pitch. Horan wouldn’t have any issue pulling him ashore if he was constantly roaming when he was told to be in the square. He stayed around the square in the second half and that’s when all the damage was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I don't think there is a set pattern to it. In the second half It was more structured because of the damage Conroy had done in the first half. I think it's clear now for all his strengths in the tackle he does not have the pace to be out around the middle when playing in Croke Park. I couldn't believe how deep he was in the first half. I think he doesn't go in or around the square for frees as the opposition have big numbers back so even if he does catch it as soon as he comes down he will be set on - much like what happened when he clashed heads in the first half. IMO best bet is to try and get him isolated against someone like for the penalty and maybe come out and help when the ball is being kicked out - otherwise he should be a permanent fixture around the square going forward.

Interesting point, considering he did get the curly finger, which was odd in itself as Horan was saying something to him as the substitution was announced but then he runs back out onto the pitch to return to play before he was told again he is off! Anybody else sitting nearer to them on the Hogan side see that?

Ah come on now, he was subbed on 68 minutes when the game had already been put to bed. That’s hardly a curly finger for not following instructions.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Yes. Just before O’Shea was subbed the physio was in talking to Diarmuid and indicated (with the tell tale hand signal) as he came off the pitch that he should be subbed. Then there was confusion a minute later where Aidan was taken off seemingly unbeknownst to Horan - we thought there may have been an error in the paperwork?? And Horan planned on taking Aidan off shortly after anyway so left it be?? Diarmuid looked to be carrying an injury at that stage. Hopefully nothing too major.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Any news re Brendan Harrison?

The camera picked him up chatting to Cillian at one stage.

Obviously not in the match day 26...

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

With nothing done before the semi final I'd be very surprised to see him this year.

Although did Dave Drake get a game before dublin in 2015?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

Where did the younger oshea come from no sign of him all league and he gets 10 mins against galway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement