Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

seligehgit wrote: »

I think I've heard every possible angle on the Roscommon game at this stage :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

PressRun wrote: »
    I think I've heard every possible angle on the Roscommon game at this stage :pac:

They are overdoing the podcasts imo
    Too much of a good thing now

km79 wrote: »
    They are overdoing the podcasts imo
    Too much of a good thing now

I guess with the lull between games there's not much else to talk about, but I felt myself the chatter had died down a good bit and a lot quicker than in previous years. Maybe people are used to losing in Connacht now so it doesn't generate as much debate as in previous years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I don't like talking about games we lose for long, especially when we're still in it. Rather look forward to the draw than look back.

I don't like talking about games we lose for long, especially when we're still in it. Rather look forward to the draw than look back.

Agreed. Was glad to hear the end of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ok, take your pick from

Antrim
    Leitrim
    Derry
    Offaly
    Monaghan
    Down
    Westmeath
    Longford

I'd like to avoid Monaghan, and to a lesser extent Derry and Down, and for the sake of not going to a place with terrible history, Longford

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Ok, take your pick from

Antrim
    Leitrim
    Derry
    Offaly
    Monaghan
    Down
    Westmeath (hammering Waterford right now)
    Longford (well up v Carlow now)

Leitrim Antrim or Offaly but wouldn't fancy the trip up north.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I'll take Monaghan for 10p please Bunny.

Would like to avoid the Northern teams if possible.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I'll take Monaghan for 10p please Bunny.

You can **** off with your Monaghan. Anyone else please and I'll pay 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Pádraig Carney (The Flying Doctor) RIP.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Pádraig Carney (The Flying Doctor) RIP.

He was some character and a Mayo legend .

He was on 'The Toughest' when Aidan was trying out American football. Went to his home and had a chat with him. R.I.P

https://twitter.com/AIB_GAA/status/709864749836541952

That just leaves Paddy Prendergast left from the '51 team.

He was some character and a Mayo legend .

He was on 'The Toughest' when Aidan was trying out American football. Went to his home and had a chat with him. R.I.P

https://twitter.com/AIB_GAA/status/709864749836541952

That just leaves Paddy Prendergast left from the '51 team.

Terribly sad.All the remaining 1950/1951 players truly sought was for the heavy millstone of being these new near mythical heroes of Mayo as our last All Ireland winners to be passed onto a younger generation.

So sad they never saw that day.

Admirable he sought the opportunity with his blossoming medical career to leave our shores.He achieved so much.

As Bunny said the piece with Aidan on The Toughest Trade was poignant and beautifully done.

I must resurrect the House Of Pain or The Road to 51 but I seem to recall he disliked the politics around Mayo football and had a fraught relationship with Sean Flanagan?

seligehgit wrote: »
    I must resurrect the House Of Pain or The Road to 51 but I seem to recall he disliked the politics around Mayo football and had a fraught relationship with Sean Flanagan?

There's a lot of interesting stuff about the 1951 team in that book. Been a few year's since I read it but there's some great stories and history in it up to 2006.

His was one of the great GAA stories. A great picture of the emigration situation in Ireland at the time too.

Anyone saying they want Monaghan is talking ****e
    I want Monaghan alright .....Monaghan’s piss easy qualifier draw from last year
    I don’t want “tests “
    I want to make the super 8s
    There will be plenty of “tests” from there on

km79 wrote: »
    Anyone saying they want Monaghan is talking ****e
    I want Monaghan alright .....Monaghan’s piss easy qualifier draw from last year
    I don’t want “tests “
    I want to make the super 8s
    There will be plenty of “tests” from there on

I'd have to laugh at anyone saying that, absolute madness wanting that draw at this stage. It doesn't matter one bit how you get through the qualifiers, they're there to be gotten through at any cost. Bigger tests are guaranteed later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Mayo 1950 and 1951 All-Ireland winner 'The Flying Doctor' has died aged 91 https://the42.ie/4675275

Not a bad draw!

Down. Could have been worse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

Could have been worse. We should be ok against Down...............shouldn't we?

If we can’t beat them we are as well off out
    Not a gimme but should be beating them
    Gives Horan a chance to show off his tactical nous .........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Kerry have never beaten Down in the Championship. They are never easy.

muddle84 wrote: »
    Could have been worse. We should be ok against Down...............shouldn't we?

We should but it's far from a walk over. Now to see if it's fixed for Saturday or Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

A few years ago when Down was a Div 1 outfit this would have been a very tough assignment for Mayo but the current Down team are a Div 3 team and already this year were well beaten at home by Laois and in the final league game where a win would have secured promotion they lost at home to Louth.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Who knows at this stage how we are, rumors of a bit of infighting already, issues in the goal keeper position, no proper free taker and nordie teams love to go after teams with any self doubt.

I expect us to scrape this by 4-5 points, but who knows either with this Mayo team.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

crusier wrote: »
    You mean he keeps getting it right!
    Every one of your posts in this thread is basically an attempt to wind up Mayo posters. Don't post in this thread (or any future Mayo GAA discussion thread) again.
    crusier wrote: »
    Paddy Tallys knowledge of how to continuously beat Mayo might be the difference!

You didn't get the memo..... :o:o:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Very sad about the death of Padraig Carney.

It really drives home that we have only one left from 1951.

It would be such a terrible shame if we lost Paddy Prendergast before Mayo win an All Ireland.

After such a great few years of success between a final appearance in 1948 and the wins in 1950 and 1951 Mayo people must have been getting used of the idea of winning All Irelands.

But look at us now, only one man left.

Would have preferred no northern team.

• Advertisement

Would have preferred no northern team.

Where do Down play their home games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerianam

Newry, I believe.

Another tight pitch.
    Could see it being low scoring and a bit cagey...would be in two minds about how it will go...I just dont feel like these kinds of games suit us

Another tight pitch.
    Could see it being low scoring and a bit cagey...would be in two minds about how it will go...I just dont feel like these kinds of games suit us

And it will be tighter if Down cop on how much we hate tight pitches :)

Could be like any of the qualifiers 2 years ago, extra time etc. He needs to put the young lads in now and stop fupping around. They showed what they can do at U20 and in the league.

Down will be delighted to get us at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

His was one of the great GAA stories. A great picture of the emigration situation in Ireland at the time too.
    Hopefully there will be no disrespectful posts/ "jokes" referring to the "curse".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭blowitupref

yop wrote: »

Could be like any of the qualifiers 2 years ago, extra time etc. He needs to put the young lads in now and stop fupping around. They showed what they can do at U20 and in the league.

Its a short draw for Down. Delighted would be drawing Sligo,Limerick i can imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

yop wrote: »

I really don't think they'll be happy at all about drawing us. You just never know what team we will bring. It could a long hard slog against us, where they wrangle a winning point on us, or we could walk it. It definitely won't be easy for them.

There were far more straightforward counties in that pot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,800 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

We should have more than enough for Down with the right attitude throughout the team and the correct decisions made in front of the posts.

We'll only get what we deserve up there.

What news of Cillian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

RobbieRuns wrote: »

A fairly misleading stat given the Championship today. They would have previously only been beaten by Ulster champions Down? I.e played them fairly infrequently when it was the old system and when Down were strong, not today's Division 3 Down.

But that said, we'll probably make it very hard as that's what we do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

RobbieRuns wrote: »

Kerry haven't been able to beat Mayo in Championship in 5 years either don't forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Have seen very little of Down over the past few years but would have liked to avoid a trip to Ulster if possible

Our Back Door record performance-wise is way below standard even if we do generally eke out wins

Can't see this Down team being any worse than Derry in 2017 who we drew with, or Tipp last year who we needed a complete fluke goal to put away, so performance levels are going to have to increase considerably

I'm feeling very 'meh' about another back door campaign overall tbh.

• Advertisement

Call me Al wrote: »
    I really don't think they'll be happy at all about drawing us. You just never know what team we will bring. It could a long hard slog against us, where they wrangle a winning point on us, or we could walk it. It definitely won't be easy for them.

I'd doubt they've any realistic ambitions of going too far this year

Welcoming a top side like Mayo on a (probably) saturday night that will attract a big crowd, and an opportunity to take a huge scalp, may well whet their appetite a lot more than a match against a lower team that may only serve to extend their championship by a week or two

Call me Al wrote: »

Sorry I meant having us at home, not playing us really. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,397 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just saw that mayo are playing down in newry in the qualifiers and they showed clips from downs win over tipp and it's not a big ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

jr86 wrote: »
    Have seen very little of Down over the past few years but would have liked to avoid a trip to Ulster if possible

Our Back Door record performance-wise is way below standard even if we do generally eke out wins

Can't see this Down team being any worse than Derry in 2017 who we drew with, or Tipp last year who we needed a complete fluke goal to put away, so performance levels are going to have to increase considerably

I'm feeling very 'meh' about another back door campaign overall tbh.

That was the best fluke goal ever as we managed another 8 points without reply to win the game by 8 whole points. Must be the highest scoring single score in the history of the GAA.

Blackjack wrote: »
    That was the best fluke goal ever as we managed another 8 points without reply to win the game by 8 whole points. Must be the highest scoring single score in the history of the GAA.

Well it quite clearly changed the course of the game

Tipp were 3 points up at that stage if I remember correctly and we were creating basically nothing, and being bet up a stick at midfield and winning no breaks

The goal quite clearly knocked the stuffing out of them, and allowed us build up a head of steam that created an extremely flattering final scoreline. It was an incredibly harsh way for them to surrender their lead, given it was a poor effort at a point that somehow ended up in the net

I thought on the day a late burst really papered over the cracks of a game we were second best in for the guts of an hour. As it transpired we went out to Kildare the week after

We need to take all these matches by the scruff of the neck this year.

Well it quite clearly changed the course of the game

Tipp were 3 points up at that stage if I remember correctly and we were creating basically nothing, and being bet up a stick at midfield and winning no breaks

The goal quite clearly knocked the stuffing out of them, and allowed us build up a head of steam that created an extremely flattering final scoreline. It was an incredibly harsh way for them to surrender their lead, given it was a poor effort at a point that somehow ended up in the net

I thought on the day a late burst really papered over the cracks of a game we were second best in for the guts of an hour. As it transpired we went out to Kildare the week after

We need to take all these matches by the scruff of the neck this year.

Tipp were burst at that stage and it was clear they were out on their feet when we started to reel them in. They also lacked any depth in their squad so any replacements were not going to be of the same caliber as to what was on the field. This lucky goal theory never ceases to amaze me.

But why did we need to 'reel them in' in the first place? There's no way we should ever have been struggling in a game like that, with all due respect to Tipp

Kerry routinely beat them comfortably in Munster every time they play them, and the likes of Tyrone, Donegal (in champ i mean!!) and obviously Dublin would never have any trouble with them

It just continued the pattern of us completely under-performing in the back door and in all honesty that Kildare result was always liable to happen at some stage

But why did we need to 'reel them in' in the first place? There's no way we should ever have been struggling in a game like that, with all due respect to Tipp

Kerry routinely beat them comfortably in Munster every time they play them, and the likes of Tyrone, Donegal (in champ i mean!!) and obviously Dublin would never have any trouble with them

It just continued the pattern of us completely under-performing in the back door and in all honesty that Kildare result was always liable to happen at some stage

They beat Galway and played in a semi final the previous year. It’s not that surprising that they would have posed a challenge.

Blackjack wrote: »
    They beat Galway and played in a semi final the previous year. It’s not that surprising that they would have posed a challenge.

That was two years previous.

lost to Cork & Armagh in 2017

Well beaten by Cork in 2018 in game previous to ours

That was two years previous.

lost to Cork & Armagh in 2017

Well beaten by Cork in 2018 in game previous to ours

Still not that surprising that they would have posed a challenge for a while and we beat them well in the end. If we hadn't beaten them by 8 we would have beat them by 5. It’s that simple. They got a fortuitous enough goal from a mix up in our back line that gave them a bit of confidence and we had to employ a makeshift midfield on the day as Seamie went off injured. Losing both Tom Parsons and Seamie meant Kildare would always be a bigger challenge and so it turned out to be.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement