Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Has it definitely been fixed for 7? Saying TBC on GAA website

That's the time Mayo GAA are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

PressRun wrote: »
    That's the time Mayo GAA are saying.

I meant Munster Final

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mayopanda84

https://twitter.com/fotoole13/status/1138440043855568896

Cork v Kerry has been confirmed for 7pm by Munster Council and Cork county board with minor final there for 4.45pm. That leave Tyrone v Longford as the 5pm choice?

Cork v Kerry has been confirmed for 7pm by Munster Council and Cork county board with minor final there for 4.45pm. That leave Tyrone v Longford as the 5pm choice?

Seems the best of the rest to show live, i am surprised though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

7pm on a Saturday evening. Game over around 9pm so looking at getting home around 1/2am. Not to mention the trip up. No consideration given to people with families.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Last train back from Newry to Dublin is 9pm. Theyll hardly put on another.

7pm throw in is ridiculous

There's a couple of bus companies that do a Belfast to Dublin/Dublin Airport service. Check them out. I think one of them stops in Newry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

ProudDUB wrote: »
    There's a couple of bus companies that do a Belfast to Dublin/Dublin Airport service. Check them out. I think one of them stops in Newry.

Fat lot of good that is for anyone going to Killawalla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

He was replying to a poster looking to get to Dublin.
    You hardly rely on public transport living in Killawalla?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Peatys wrote: »
    He was replying to a poster looking to get to Dublin.
    You hardly rely on public transport living in Killawalla?

Id be leaving soon if you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

jj72 wrote: »
    Who's "They" out of interest?

The CCCC.

Absolutely mind boggling stuff.Beyond belief how out of touch the administrators within the GAA are in relation to their supporters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

Sky not showing the game :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

cocoman wrote: »
    Which makes the 7pm throw in even more strange.

Wind yer neck in. It's not my fault it doesn't stop in Louth. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

cocoman wrote: »

Link to official source confirming this? I haven't been able to find anything online to say what game they are showing (although I don't think it'll be ours).

As for the throw in time, yet another example of the G.A.A. being completely out of touch and not having a f**king clue!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

http://twitter.com/ruaidhrioconnor/status/1138489039714246656

Associate producer with sky sports
    It’s not on tv
    Which makes its event more insane

Down play Meath in the Nicky Raynard hurling final at 2pm in Croke Park the same day.Down officials get to see both games with the football at 7pm.

ureds wrote: »
    Down play Meath in the Nicky Raynard hurling final at 2pm in Croke Park the same day.Down officials get to see both games with the football at 7pm.

Or
    Play it Sunday afternoon

Surely the CCCC liaise with the various Co Boards to try and get some sort of agreement on times, dates etc? If so id love to hear from our board on why they agreed to this. Now of course i could be completely wrong on this but that always was my understanding

Surely the CCCC liaise with the various Co Boards to try and get some sort of agreement on times, dates etc? If so id love to hear from our board on why they agreed to this. Now of course i could be completely wrong on this but that always was my understanding

Remember Limerick 2014...our Co.Board say nothing.

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    Or
    Play it Sunday afternoon
    Would make far more sense.

ureds wrote: »
    Remember Limerick 2014...our Co.Board say nothing.

A completely different situation, there are plenty of alternatives here, and tbh i didnt have any real issue with Limerick

Does the GAA allow simultaneous tv fixtures, especially if theres a provincial final involved? If not, Sky's game will the 5pm one (Long v Tyr) I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

Does the GAA allow simultaneous tv fixtures, especially if theres a provincial final involved?

No, they definitely don't.

Does the GAA allow simultaneous tv fixtures, especially if theres a provincial final involved? If not, Sky's game will the 5pm one (Long v Tyr) I'd say.

Sky are not showing any R2 games

Mayo folk need to untwist their knickers about this.

We have been lucky over the last few years with scheduling of games, a good few have been in Castlebar and we had a couple of short hops down the motorway to Clare and Limerick.

You can't have everything go your way.

I remember Mayo playing in Newry on a horrible night in the league in 2013, was anyone complaining then ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

advertised on the hoganstand fixtures list that they are shown a qualifier from round 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Football Rd2 game on Sky according to this https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/rt%C3%A9-s-2019-gaa-coverage-shifts-further-from-football-to-hurling-1.3876172

We have been lucky over the last few years with scheduling of games, a good few have been in Castlebar and we had a couple of short hops down the motorway to Clare and Limerick.

I remember Mayo playing in Newry on a horrible night in the league in 2013, was anyone complaining then ?

We have every right to complain when scheduling the game to a more convenient time from this arbitrary scheduling would be more logical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

This could be the night this current panel finishes. It's the perfect storm, with alot of online moaning and bitching about the time, some people who haven't a clue about how the venue is decided moaning and bitching that it should be a neutral one halfway, qualifier fatigue, general fatigue towards the team and management. Personally I look at this is that now the time when we show the team what they mean to us. I've seen prominent club51 people openly talking about 'boycotting' this game in some form of 'stick it to the GAA protest'. Our team needs us right now.

This could be the night this current panel finishes. It's the perfect storm, with alot of online moaning and bitching about the time, some people who haven't a clue about how the venue is decided moaning and bitching that it should be a neutral one halfway, qualifier fatigue, general fatigue towards the team and management. Personally I look at this is that now the time when we show the team what they mean to us. I've seen prominent club51 people openly talking about 'boycotting' this game in some form of 'stick it to the GAA protest'. Our team needs us right now.

I am heading to Newry and have no issue with the venue.

Down have home advantage,simples.

Don't agree with the bolded content.

Supporters are well within their right to be annoyed or moan as you do phrase it when there appears at first hand to be no impediment to a more convenient time.

Just because supporters don't agree with your opinion you have concluded they have no idea how the venue is decided.Quite clear it was decided on the basis of the first out the hat got home advantage or a division 3/4 team got same against a division 1/2 team.

• Advertisement

Bit over the top there. With no TV scheduling to be mindful of, there is absolutely no reason for this game to be on at 7pm, when one set of supporters are on one side of the country. Why shoot yourself in the foot with poor attendance figures (a lot of families with small kids will be put off by getting home at midnight) when you really don't have to? Why deliberately make it hard for people to attend, when you really don't have to?

It's typical of the lack of joined up thinking that the Croke Park suits are famous for. It permeates everything they do. Supporters are entitled to be annoyed about that, regardless of where they are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Bit over the top there. With no TV scheduling to be mindful of, there is absolutely no reason for this game to be on at 7pm, when one set of supporters are on one side of the country. Why shoot yourself in the foot with poor attendance figures (a lot of families with small kids will be put off by getting home at midnight) when you really don't have to? Why deliberately make it hard for people to attend, when you really don't have to?

It's typical of the lack of joined up thinking that the Croke Park suits are famous for. It permeates everything they do. Supporters are entitled to be annoyed about that, regardless of where they are from.

Completely agree. Location was decided on the rules of the draw-no issue with that. When I saw the time I assumed it was on tv but it isn’t.

It’s not exactly an easy journey either, 3 and a half hours minimum for most and well over four for anyone in west Mayo. And not the nicest of roads either. With post match traffic etc, it will be after 1am for many getting home. This will turn away many families!!!

Thankfully doesn’t effect me, I live on the east coast so it’s only a quick spin up the road!

Boycotting it is a tad extreme though surely??? Not the teams fault!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I think people are misinterpreting Wirelessdude’s post slightly

He’s just saying that all the moaning online and talks of boycotting and such rubbish, are counter productive when its now that the team really needs full on support more than ever

Where have we seen this before? Before newbridge last year and Limerick 2014 and we both know how they finished

I’d doubt many will argue that the scheduling could be better but just have to get on with it now. That said people love a good moan online these days regardless

I agree with Father Tod though, we’ve been blessed with scheduling and with being shown on tv really more often than not. These are often the breaks one gets in the back door.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Mayo can be brilliant or awful, it all depends which Mayo team turns up and if they have the bit between their teeth. Unfortunately after a good league where lots of players were tried and tested, Mayo haven't uncovered a reliable scoring forward apart from maybe the returning Coen who is good for 2 or 3 points. There's signs the supposedly great defence is also leaking scores too. So yes a perfect storm indeed and if Down are as motivated as Kildare were last year they could win.
    Anyone else think Tom Parsons is a huge loss to this Mayo team? Ultra consistent, good going forward and defending and keeps going to the end. He can turn a game by himself if he's in the right form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Mayo can be brilliant or awful, it all depends which Mayo team turns up and if they have the bit between their teeth.

More so than ever this year. Win the league and then go out and lose to Roscommon:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Mayo can be brilliant or awful, it all depends which Mayo team turns up and if they have the bit between their teeth. Unfortunately after a good league where lots of players were tried and tested, Mayo haven't uncovered a reliable scoring forward apart from maybe the returning Coen who is good for 2 or 3 points. There's signs the supposedly great defence is also leaking scores too. So yes a perfect storm indeed and if Down are as motivated as Kildare were last year they could win.
    Anyone else think Tom Parsons is a huge loss to this Mayo team? Ultra consistent, good going forward and defending and keeps going to the end. He can turn a game by himself if he's in the right form.

Parsons is a loss alright in the sense that he was a very important player but Ruane has come in and been very good. Along with that, Aidan playing very well in midfield so in that sense, I wouldn't say Parson's loss has been huge. Wouldn't say he was a game-changer either, that's not a slight on him, it was the little things that he did so well, excellent in the tackle, great engine etc.

Biggest loss vs the Rossies was Vaughan imo. An extremely important part of the way Horan has them playing.

I miss Rochford and knew I would. We probably wouldn't have won the league under Rochford but I think we'd be in better shape now. The qualifiers are a tough ask when you're relying on Plan A. Not that Rochford didn't have his problems with them, but you always got the sense that we were peaking/working on something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I was on the main championship thread calling the schedule of this absolutely ridiculous yesterday. However it does look as if a valid reason has come to light, with Down playing a pre arranged hurling game in Croker at 2pm. There is nothing more frustrating coming from a dual county to have your team's games on at similar times in different places. And Down are the home team after all so their needs should be accommodated. It's crap for Mayo fans but there seems to be a bit of logic to it.

The argument for moving it to Sunday is a valid one, although these games are usually set for Saturdays, Mayo have a Junior Connacht final on Sunday and I don't think there's any precedence of throwing qualifiers up against provincial finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

It's annoying that it's a 7pm throw-in, what's stopping them playing it earlier? We'll be doing very well to be home at 1am.

But I think you're right in what you're saying, especially the part about the team needing our support. Talk of boycotting is a bit ridiculous and doesn't serve any purpose, see Limerick for example.

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I was on the main championship thread calling the schedule of this absolutely ridiculous yesterday. However it does look as if a valid reason has come to light, with Down playing a pre arranged hurling game in Croker at 2pm. There is nothing more frustrating coming from a dual county to have your team's games on at similar times in different places. And Down are the home team after all so their needs should be accommodated. It's crap for Mayo fans but there seems to be a bit of logic to it.

The argument for moving it to Sunday is a valid one, although these games are usually set for Saturdays, Mayo have a Junior Connacht final on Sunday and I don't think there's any precedence of throwing qualifiers up against provincial finals.

I think once more the GAA have shot themselves in the foot.

The Mayo support base is massive and the Mayo story is generally one of the most exciting parts of the championship. Mayo should be prime time TV. Instead they are shunted off to a 7 oclock kickoff and no TV coverage.

Its like the GAA are trying their best to kill interest in the sport.

• Advertisement

I think once more the GAA have shot themselves in the foot.

The Mayo support base is massive and the Mayo story is generally one of the most exciting parts of the championship. Mayo should be prime time TV. Instead they are shunted off to a 7 oclock kickoff and no TV coverage.

Its like the GAA are trying their best to kill interest in the sport.

The tie to show would be Monaghan v Armagh surely? Sky had the option of showing either game but declined. If you put it on at 5 your screwing Down fans, if you put it on Sunday (logical option) it wouldn't be on TV regardless. Loads of suggestions after a brief glance at Willie Joe's blog that it's all about money, which is a mind boggling as the time ensures the least amount of money for the GAA

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We will still bring 6-8k people regardless. Its very annoying but I can see the logic now after HH explained it there. It is what it is.
    We will still go in large numbers, the kids will be tired but will have the lie in on Sunday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    The tie to show would be Monaghan v Armagh surely? Sky had the option of showing either game but declined. If you put it on at 5 your screwing Down fans, if you put it on Sunday (logical option) it wouldn't be on TV regardless. Loads of suggestions after a brief glance at Willie Joe's blog that it's all about money, which is a mind boggling as the time ensures the least amount of money for the GAA

How many Down fans would really be screwed?Would there really be that many travelling to Dublin to watch the hurling and then travelling straight back to Newry to watch the football? I doubt it.

There will be Mayo supporters put off from travelling with the time but that wasn't considered and people naturally aren't too happy. I don't care that much but I can certainly see where people are coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

How many Down fans would really be screwed?Would there really be that many travelling to Dublin to watch the hurling and then travelling straight back to Newry to watch the football? I doubt it.

Nice to give people the option though

Given its a final I'd imagine Down will be well supported. Their club games get huge crowds in hurling

I'd say it's very negigible tbh as I'd imagine their hurling supporters are few but it's a slippery slope you can't go down. You put the football on at the same time your basically saying Tier 2 hurling isn't important. Bear in mind they're attempting to bring in tier 2 football and are maintaining (pretending) that it'll be treated as important. The few hurling fans Down have would probably go to the football. Also teams often double up between hurling and football on S&C coaches, physios and doctors. Certainty the case in my county. We can't give out about the GAA when they act in favour of money over fairness and then also give out when they leave money behind on the table in favour of fairness

They should play the Down v Mayo football game in Croke Park too :D

Whaaa? Ok so im being pedantic but the motorway wasnt built then, those two trips were far from 'short hops' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Time to end the provincials and the qualifiers and go for 4 geographic regions of 8 teams. Otherwise you are always going to get these fixtures that are nightmare for supporters to get to.

recyclebin wrote: »
    Time to end the provincials and the qualifiers and go for 4 geographic regions of 8 teams. Otherwise you are always going to get these fixtures that are nightmare for supporters to get to.

I've always been a fan of that format.

Every one plays the same amount of gayto get to an quarter finals.
    No more Sligo having to win two games to get to a QF and Tyrone having to win four.

No more situations like where a team that wins a provincial preliminary round and then loses a provincial quarter final ends up in Round 1 of the qualifiers with the same team they beat in the preliminary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

recyclebin wrote: »
    Time to end the provincials and the qualifiers and go for 4 geographic regions of 8 teams.

Or retain the provincial basis but split Leinster and Ulster in two (chucking London and New York in with the latter). Then split the 12 qualifying teams into four groups of three...or something...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement