Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Thought when you said it was to suit TV :confused: Seems a ridiculous time if it's not for live TV

I'd assumed, given they put it down for 7pm that it was Sky dictating what match they would show. According to Cahir O Keane on twitter though, 2 live games can't be show at same time. So in this instance it wasn't sky's fault. No reason that they couldn't have have scheduled it for 3 or 5, would have made a big difference to travelling supporters. Sunday not an option with 6 day turnaround. If it goe's to extra time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

mayo.mick wrote: »
    No reason that they couldn't have have scheduled it for 3 or 5

As Hulk hands pointed out Down are already playing a hurling final earlier that day

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

recyclebin wrote: »
    Time to end the provincials and the qualifiers and go for 4 geographic regions of 8 teams. Otherwise you are always going to get these fixtures that are nightmare for supporters to get to.

Ulster supporters like their provincial championship, as do the players. It is the most competitive province and Ulster players rate an Ulster medal second only to an All Ireland medal.
    I doubt considering the distances supporters within Ulster often have to travel to support their teams in their provincial championship, they will look kindly on one off qualifier games as a compelling argument for change.

4 geographical regions of 8 teams would be a meaningless league that would do nothing to solve the problem of weaker teams getting demoralising hammering either. At least with the present system the weaker division 3 & 4 teams get some encouragement with home advantage in the qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Beagslife

Apt for the day that's in it but Jim's well thought out proposal is worth another look nearly four years on to the day that is was published.

Tiered Championship Proposal

I posted this in the Championship thread as well. Relevant to the above I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

seligehgit wrote: »
    We have every right to complain when scheduling the game to a more convenient time from this arbitrary scheduling would be more logical.

But it's not arbitrary

It's taking into account that Down hurlers are playing earlier in the day in CP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

But it's not arbitrary

It's taking into account that Down hurlers are playing earlier in the day in CP.

As other posters have mentioned the core hurling support within Down is not that particularly big.

What about fixing it for Sunday?

ProudDUB quite eloquently expressed my sentiments so I've pretty much said my piece on this topic.:)

Round 4 of the Connacht minor league.

Mayo v Galway

Mac Hale Park

Friday 14th June 2019 at 19.30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Well, fixture time aside..
    Apparently there was a challenge match. Anyone hear how that went?
    Also heard tonight that Cillian is very much back in the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0612/1055037-mayo-hit-out-at-late-throw-in-time-for-down-game/?fbclid=IwAR2ARLVos8ASwsgEeQERNDnPdO0eSzhO6l9YMGq2ezVi1nsmU2QC4vGhUlw

Mayo county board requested a 3pm throw in apparently and assumed that would happen

A good point made about player welfare too.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

km79 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0612/1055037-mayo-hit-out-at-late-throw-in-time-for-down-game/?fbclid=IwAR2ARLVos8ASwsgEeQERNDnPdO0eSzhO6l9YMGq2ezVi1nsmU2QC4vGhUlw

Mayo county board requested a 3pm throw in apparently and assumed that would happen

A good point made about player welfare too.....

Totally, its a joke. Lots of fans can't make it because of the time. Worse again is that Prenty is on the CCCC!! What is he at!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

PressRun wrote: »
    Well, fixture time aside..
    Apparently there was a challenge match. Anyone hear how that went?
    Also heard tonight that Cillian is very much back in the mix.

Mayo beat Clare 1-13 to 0-11 apparently. Some bits about it on twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Totally, its a joke. Lots of fans can't make it because of the time. Worse again is that Prenty is on the CCCC!! What is he at!!!

Because Prenty is a Yes man. Always has been. He's like Shane Ross. Loves to be in the limelight, but good for nothing.

It's some joke.
    The Down hurlers and fans are accommodated for. Tick
    The (irrelevant) shoppers are catered for (can't be inconveniencin them) Tick
    The Down underage and fans are catered for (playing on Sunday) Tick
    So screw the Mayo players and fans. Absolutely zero consideration or concession given. How could Prenty just sit there and agree with this.

The shopping thing is like something from Father Ted. Would be comedy Gold if it wasn't so blood boiling. If Newry can't facilitate a game in early evening (i.e. 5 o'clock) on a Saturday, then move it somewhere else. And staging it at 7 bells to accommodate a couple of hurling fans to come back from Croke Park.

Hope to God they hammer the fu@kers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mayo Messi 11

Where on twitter did you see this muddle84?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

You'll be ok, better playing angry anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

In other news Mayo LGFA have had their development officer quit.
    A difference of opinions between Co Board , managers and development.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Stop moaning about the time.

First of all Down hurler's are playing earlier that day and therefore there cannot be a clash and rightly so.

Second of all if Mayo had beaten Roscommon this wouldn't be an issue. A much nicer fixture v Galway on Sunday was on the cards.

Thirdly, Mayo fans had no issue making it to New York, even singing the Green and Red of Mayo on the Times Square steps, so surely no issue making it to Newry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Frozen Veg wrote: »

First of all Down hurler's are playing earlier that day and therefore there cannot be a clash and rightly so.

Second of all if Mayo had beaten Roscommon this wouldn't be an issue. A much nicer fixture v Galway on Sunday was on the cards.

Thirdly, Mayo fans had no issue making it to New York, even singing the Green and Red of Mayo on the Times Square steps, so surely no issue making it to Newry.

Nobody has an issue making it to Newry, the issue is the safety of fans from the Western parts of the county getting home at 1-2AM which could easily be avoided with a kickoff even 2 hours earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

Nobody has an issue making it to Newry, the issue is the safety of fans from the Western parts of the county getting home at 1-2AM which could easily be avoided with a kickoff even 2 hours earlier

There are rooms available at very very reasonable prices much cheaper than they would have been in New York.

Newry is only one hour from Croke Park, it's not timbooktwo.

Bit of a difference between a trip to New York that was years in the making and that many saved for and made a holiday out of and a trip up the country at a week and a half's notice. The round trip to Newry is nearly as long as the flight to New York.
    But I'm sure the people sneering about this are well aware of all that already.

But sure, I don't think anything is going to be done about it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

There are rooms available at very very reasonable prices much cheaper than they would have been in New York.

Newry is only one hour from Croke Park, it's not timbooktwo.

Oh it really is the trip of a lifetime then so

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

Time to move on folks....

Back to the football - article on Cillian needing a further surgery in the Mayo News has me really worried. Free taking is a major concern - particularly if we revert to playing Clarke in goals. Winning frees or 45s aren't giving us the scores they should be.

glack wrote: »
    Time to move on folks....

Back to the football - article on Cillian needing a further surgery in the Mayo News has me really worried. Free taking is a major concern - particularly if we revert to playing Clarke in goals. Winning frees or 45s aren't giving us the scores they should be.

I heard he's back playing? Played the challenge match against Clare supposedly.

PressRun wrote: »
    I heard he's back playing? Played the challenge match against Clare supposedly.

I hope that’s true.

glack wrote: »
    I hope that’s true.

Fairly sure it is. He will be on the panel the next day, I would imagine.
    Apparently the challenge match was interesting enough. I'm very curious to see what happens now up in Newry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Where on twitter did you see this muddle84?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Anyone else hear a rumour that David Clarke has walked from the panel...hopefully rumour is all that it is..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Carol25 wrote: »
    Anyone else hear a rumour that David Clarke has walked from the panel...hopefully rumour is all that it is..

Heard it, but nothing confirmed.

Mayo masters playing Laois in Roscommon tomorrow if anyone is up that way.
    Game at 3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

How did the minor go lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Mayo 0-11
    Galway 2-12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Mayo 0-11
    Galway 2-12
    Galway beating us at all age levels nowadays both in male and female football.

Bad night at the office

Mayo 0-11 Galway 2-12

Galway well deserving of their win.Struggled up front all night.

Gabriel Irwin's son Frank started inside at full forward and David Brady's nephew Dylan Thornton started i lar na pairce.

All the star performers on the Galway team,their number 8 James McLaughlin was immense.Similar in style to Peter Cooke.Absolutely cleaned us out in the middle.

Number 14 Tomas Culhane tormented us scoring 1-5,similar in style and build to Michael Daly.

We can still progress if Sligo beat Roscommon.

Anybody hear we lost to the rebels last weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Still one to go in Connacht.
    Sunday 1pm Galway v Mayo Junior Final Pearse Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Bad night at the office

Mayo 0-11 Galway 2-12

Galway well deserving of their win.Struggled up front all night.

Gabriel Irwin's son Frank started inside at full forward and David Brady's nephew Dylan Thornton started i lar na pairce.

All the star performers on the Galway team,their number 8 James McLaughlin was immense.Similar in style to Peter Cooke.Absolutely cleaned us out in the middle.

Number 14 Tomas Culhane tormented us scoring 1-5,similar in style and build to Michael Daly.

We can still progress if Sligo beat Roscommon.

Anybody hear we lost to the rebels last weekend?

A senior challenge? i think they (the rebels) played Roscommon last weekend in a challenge and won.

• Advertisement

A senior challenge? i think they (the rebels) played Roscommon last weekend in a challenge and won.

Yes that's what I heard tonight but I'm not too sure it was not more than mere speculation.

I'd given it some credence as the supporter involved appeared very knowledgeable re Mayo GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Yes that's what I heard tonight but I'm not too sure it was not more than mere speculation.

I'd given it some credence as the supporter involved appeared very knowledgeable re Mayo GAA.

I believe Cork have been flying in challenge games, they beat Dublin in a game played a few weeks back in tipperary, they also beat Galway around the same time

It's obviously impossible to know what type of teams were out but it does look like they are at least taking things seriously again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Interestingly enough the lad is actually from Kildare. His father is from Galway so he's opted to play for Galway but I think his home club is Clane in Kildare. He's a talent alright.

Got a text this morning to say Matthew ruane has broke his collar bone
    That’s not great news.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Certainly not
    Short at midfield as it is

What is a regular collar bone injury, minimum 2 months out ?

• Advertisement

Certainly not
    Short at midfield as it is

What is a regular collar bone injury, minimum 2 months out ?

Yeah more or less

A disaster.

Has anyone else heard it ?
    Really hope it’s ****e

Really hope it’s ****e

Did not hear diddly squat up at the game last night,when did it supposedly happen?

Reliable source?

Did not hear diddly squat up at the game last night,when did it supposedly happen?

Reliable source?

Not really !
    Third hand info so fingers crossed it’s rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Really hope it’s ****e

Didn't hear it... Connacht Telegraph put up a picture of him and Conor Loftus yesterday opening an ebs branch in Castlebar. Looked fine then so unless it just happened yesterday evening.

Would be a disaster if true.

Apparently happened at training last night. Sounding like it’s true.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Ah well, 2020 is a new year :(

It is true as far as I know.

Yikes hard to find any positivity atm.

I did hear all other injured parties were fit for action..Cillian,Fionn and Donie.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement