Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

km79 wrote: »
    Which is a huge worry tbh

I have looked at RTE and McLoughlin did get a point but Keegan got three from play and Barrett also got one so we need more return from our experienced players up front before criticising the likes of Loftus who also was on free taking duties.

That said, our main problem this evening was in defence and our vulnerability to direct running and pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

3 substitutions after the 69th minute. Far far too late. Boland was ready for at least 10 minutes before he actually came on. Bib was off and on twice. Was like the management weren't sure.

Wide open down the centre despite playing Boyler as a sweeper. No tracking of runners.

Doc and Kev were pretty anonymous this evening. Think keV in particular is playing his way off the team. Too jittery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

I am hoping there’s a lot of heavy training going on back line again cut to pieces like the rossie game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭spakman

naughto wrote: »
    I am hoping there’s a lot of heavy training going on back line again cut to pieces like the rossie game

Why would there be heavy training in the middle of championship!? Its not even a player issue, its the defensive system that's seriously flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

spakman wrote: »
    Why would there be heavy training in the middle of championship!? Its not even a player issue, its the defensive system that's seriously flawed.

Exactly. James Horan has never deployed a sweeper system. In his final two games in his last tenure against Kerry, he failed to give Cafferkey any support at fullback in dealing with Donaghy. I can't remember how many points we were up with 14 men in the drawn game but all we had to do was shut up shop but we stayed man to man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

spakman wrote: »

Yeah, the days of heavy training are well done at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Only home games possible are Tyrone,Kildare and Clare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Did not get a chance to follow the game on the radio so it sounds like it from here and elsewhere that they were unimpressive in the win

And I had this thought
    Looking back on it with a few championship weeks played the League is beginning to have the following, less optimistic, narrative than it has before the Roscommon game

My thinking was that this team were back because they won the league with fresh blood and no Cillian

But look at it this way
    They beat Roscommon on a terrible night but gave up a late goal, Roscommon whet on to to win Connacht, a better night and they may have won in Castlebar in January
    They beat Tyrone when Tyrone were slow out of the starting blocks after an all Ireland final appearance the year before, something we in Mayo know a lot about. Had they meet Tyrone in the second last rather than the second league game then Mayo may not have won
    They beat Cavan unimpressively
    They got hammered by Dublin
    They preformed poorly v Galway
    They beat a Kerry team that are are showing to be less likely contenders with every passing game
    They beat a Monaghan team that are now out of the Championship
    They beat a Kerry team that are are showing to be less likely contenders with every passing game

So overall maybe Mayo's league win was less impressive than I initially thought
    They honestly could struggle to get to the last 8, let alone get out of a group

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Did not get a chance to follow the game on the radio so it sounds like it from here and elsewhere that they were unimpressive in the win

And I had this thought
    Looking back on it with a few championship weeks played the League is beginning to have the following, less optimistic, narrative than it has before the Roscommon game

My thinking was that this team were back because they won the league with fresh blood and no Cillian

But look at it this way
    They beat Roscommon on a terrible night but gave up a late goal, Roscommon whet on to to win Connacht, a better night and they may have won in Castlebar in January
    They beat Tyrone when Tyrone were slow out of the starting blocks after an all Ireland final appearance the year before, something we in Mayo know a lot about. Had they meet Tyrone in the second last rather than the second league game then Mayo may not have won
    They beat Cavan unimpressively
    They got hammered by Dublin
    They preformed poorly v Galway
    They beat a Monaghan team that are now out of the Championship

So overall maybe Mayo's league win was less impressive than I initially thought
    They honestly could struggle to get to the last 8, let alone get out of a group

I dont really buy this tbh. If you want to judge in this manner then you can say dublin lost to the now eliminated monaghan team...

I think we just need to calm down a little and look at the facts. The first one being we are on the backfoot with a lot of injuries. The second one being confidence was undoubtedly well down after the roscommon game.
    We need a bit of luck in the next draw and if we get it we might have some breathing room to build momentum.
    We won the game and that was all we needed to do. Now onto game 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,258 ✭✭✭✭km79

Delighted to have another game to go to
    Not like last year !
    Easiest draw possible please
    Try and get through next 2 rounds and get lads match fit

I seriously think something is up with Cillian though and that’s why Loftus was put in today . Not just for today.......
    If so we are in trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭HBC08

seligehgit wrote: »
    Very harsh re Andy,he was excellent tonight.Linked up play very well,primary score creator.

Aidan is doing so much heavy carrying for the team ATM.David Clarke made a couple of great saves,justified his status as our best goalkeeper.

Conor Loftus contributed little outside a rather shaky performance on the frees.

And a goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭HBC08

We need a proper defensive system and a sweeper fast!
    Clarkie,Aido,loftus,fionn and leeroy did well.

Huge support today in Newry which was great to see.
    Onwards and upwards .

I am aware of Conor's contribution frees wise and his getting on the end of the probably decisive goal etc.None of the frees he took were particularly easy off the right side and were generally at distance but he missed one in the first half.In the second half he missed an easier one that resulted in the Evan Regan booking.He appeared nervy to me on the frees.

Just thought the game passed him by in terms of general play.Oft times the play came down the flanks hindering his involvement.He doesn't have lightning pace and was dispossessed on the couple of occasions and did not tackle as feverishly as one would expect of a Mayo player.

Others thought otherwise,c'est la vie.Conor as I've said for numerous years has the potential to be a very important mainstay on the team.

Great to see Leeroy back on the scoreboard,a beautiful score.

His performance was a return to the level we've long come to expect of him.

Kevin Mc had a hard day at the office but as many have mentioned he looks lost positioned inside.

What's the story with Donie?We saw him outside the ground pre match in civilian wear.

James Horan mentioned post match that Cillian is very close to a return next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

One of those games where a win was everything. Confidence is low and with several injuries it was important to just eke out any kind of win

Potentially a very winnable next round if avoid Tyrone, although obviously Kildare and indeed Armagh will be tricky

4th round is a guaranteed test. Cork had their best champ performance in years last night and Meath are having their best season in years even if they're hammered today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Only home games possible are Tyrone,Kildare and Clare?

And the venue for any of those is a coin toss?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Nope. First out gets home venue. Providing the lower division automatically getting home advantage thing isn't at play.

And the venue for any of those is a coin toss?

First out of hat ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Nope. First out gets home venue. Providing the lower division automatically getting home advantage thing isn't at play.
    A Div 3 or 4 team will get home advantage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Add Armagh to that list of teams we can play at home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Horan said after the Roscommon game that S O'Shea,Vaughan and C O'Connor was only a few days away from returning to action. Yesterday and full 4 weeks later he said all three will be back in training on Wednesday. Is he to be believed this time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Horan said after the Roscommon game that S O'Shea,Vaughan and C O'Connor was only a few days away from returning to action. Yesterday and full 4 weeks later he said all three will be back in training on Wednesday. Is he to be believed this time?

Well COC did play in a challenge game

COC would need a huge amount of conditioning to get anywhere close to inter county fitness standard.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Win is a win.
    Some real positives in loftus and mcdonagh.
    Andy did well, aos pure slogging all day.

Clarke saved us again. Defence scares the shiza out of me.

We won, potential banana skin, still lots to do.
    Needs to make changes earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭glack

COC would need a huge amount of conditioning to get anywhere close to inter county fitness standard.

But surely if he’s been recovered for as long as has been reported his fitness shouldn’t be a problem.

Definitely something going on here if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

glack wrote: »
    But surely if he’s been recovered for as long as has been reported his fitness shouldn’t be a problem.

Definitely something going on here if you ask me.

I think people are looking for a story when there isn't one. He had a 2nd minor knee operation at the beginning of May so it's not that surprising he's still missing. Hasn't played a full game since last November so is obviously playing catch up fitness wise.

I heard he hasn't been as recovered as we think. He had a pretty niggly setback and is working his way back.

I see Horan has said again that James Carr is coming back from injury so that's why he wasn't involved yesterday or against Roscommon. I suppose saying that Horan dropped him from the panel for disciplinary reasons makes a better story for some people...

RedDevil55 wrote:
    I see Horan has said again that James Carr is coming back from injury so that's why he wasn't involved yesterday or against Roscommon. I suppose saying that Horan dropped him from the panel for disciplinary reasons makes a better story for some people...

Where is that reported?

Where is that reported?

Mayo News podcast that came out today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

RedDevil55 wrote: »

Very interesting considering he played for Ardagh at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Anyone see what Coen did to get the black card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Thou

PressRun wrote: »
    Very interesting considering he played for Ardagh at the weekend.

If the player is just coming back from injury he probably needed to get some game time under his belt that wasnt a senior inter county knock out game...but we're talking about Mayo so there has to something more sinister behind it right?

Thou wrote: »
    If the player is just coming back from injury he probably needed to get some game time under his belt that wasnt a senior inter county knock out game...but we're talking about Mayo so there has to something more sinister behind it right?

I wonder will the talk of David Clarke walking from the panel keep going this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Thou wrote: »

Not sinister, just a little more to the story.
    I believe the story in Cillian is purely injury related.

Mayo News podcast that came out today.

Mayo News Sports Podcast 2019

Down Review

https://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2019-06-23T06_34_15-07_00.mp3

I wonder will the talk of David Clarke walking from the panel keep going this week?

No haven't you heard, that's all good now, Horan has given Clarke assurances because he agreed to apologise to a player he had a spat with in the dressing room

PressRun wrote: »
    Not sinister, just a little more to the story.
    I believe the story in Cillian is purely injury related.

Well if you want there to be more to it then work away

That was a brilliant and crucial save from Clarke

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

That was a brilliant and crucial save from Clarke

He always pulls off big saves. But we need to start looking at someone else also as David won't be around for ever.

• Advertisement

Ladies drew with Galway in the Connacht final.

Mayo 3-6 Galway 1-12

Replay on July 7th.

Anybody hear Tom Parsons is togging out for Charlestown?A mate informed me of same last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

yop wrote: »
    He always pulls off big saves. But we need to start looking at someone else also as David won't be around for ever.

True (sadly), but we have him now so let's be thankful for that and make the most of him while we have him......and not do anything stupid, like drop him again.... ;)

yop wrote: »

He couldn't pull them off against Roscommon ..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

km79 wrote:

I'll get your coat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭bassy

any of ye mayo die hards ever on the vinnie moran bus for the mayo campaigns up and down the country?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

Bit hard for him to do from the subs bench..... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

BandMember wrote: »
    Bit hard for him to do from the subs bench..... :rolleyes:

Yeah that was the point I was making......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Seámus-Púbach

Offaly please...

Armagh away.

Tough one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Nervous about this one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Armagh away.

Tough one.

It’ll be in Castlebar