Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

jr86 wrote: »
    Surely this is too soon for Vaughan?

Murray to midfield surely

Doherty - if dropped - is an interesting one, he's very much been an ever present over the last few years. Horan pulling no punches with that call

I don't think Mayo are a better team than Armagh. But I think it's a game that experience could just win through. Especially in front of a big home crowd. We don't want new players getting the jitters if things aren't going well.

For that reason, I think leaving off Doherty would be a massive mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I don't think Mayo are a better team than Armagh. But I think it's a game that experience could just win through. Especially in front of a big home crowd. We don't want new players getting the jitters if things aren't going well.

For that reason, I think leaving off Doherty would be a massive mistake.

I think people are getting carried away a bit about Armagh. Same team who hadn't won a game in the Ulster championship under McGeeney until they scraped by Down. Down, who had chief tormentor of Mayo Caolon Mooney sent off early in the game. Cavan put 23 points on them a few weeks ago for god sake. Yes Mayo have issues and despite a poor record at home surely they will be confident of getting the win. I never seen such negativity about our chances

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I think people are getting carried away a bit about Armagh. Same team who hadn't won a game in the Ulster championship under McGeeney until they scraped by Down. Who had Mayo chief tormentor Caolon Mooney sent off early in the game. Cavan put 23 points on them a few weeks ago for god sake. Yes Mayo have issues and despite a poor record at home surely they will be confident of getting the win.

Yes I would agree. Armagh - they have failed to deliver anything of real quality over the last few years. The beat a monaghan team that have slipped back. I don't think Geezer is up to much either as he did nothing in Kildare and it has replicated itself in Armagh.

We have issues as you say but we should be winning this game if we are serious about our ambitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I think people are getting carried away a bit about Armagh. Same team who hadn't won a game in the Ulster championship under McGeeney until they scraped by Down. Down, who had chief tormentor of Mayo Caolon Mooney sent off early in the game. Cavan put 23 points on them a few weeks ago for god sake. Yes Mayo have issues and despite a poor record at home surely they will be confident of getting the win. I never seen such negativity about our chances

Yes has been far too much hype about Armagh. They are poor defensively and what use is their good forwards if they are starved of possession?

Mayo have never lost a qualifer game in MacHale park and I'll be surprised if that record is broken tomorrow night.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Yes has been far too much hype about Armagh. They are poor defensively and what use is their good forwards if they are starved of possession?

Mayo have never lost a qualifer game in MacHale park and I'll be surprised if that record is broken tomorrow night.

And if we beat them it will be like 1950 all over again with Sam on the way :D:D:P
    I shared out that note on social media, not even sure its true, totally for a laugh and the reaction was hilarious. People are too easily poked! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

yop wrote: »
    And if we beat them it will be like 1950 all over again with Sam on the way :D:D:P
    I shared out that note on social media, not even sure its true, totally for a laugh and the reaction was hilarious. People are too easily poked! :D

Just listened to the podcast.

Three games in 1950 to win the All Ireland

By in Connacht final
    Beat Roscommon
    Beat Armagh
    Beat Louth.

If Mayo were to win it now it would take at least 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Not bash them up literally but try to dominate midfield and breaking ball. Starve them of possession in other words.

That would be a better plan.
    Their defense is shaky enough but their mid-field is decent. Young Jarlath Burn in particular is going well for them.
    If Mayo do not dominate mid-field, they have a few forwards that can do serious damage. Stefan Campbell, Rian O`Neill, a new boy that is going well and the ever dangerous Jamie Clarke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

One thing I would love to see( won't happen mind) is Higgins is to be pushed up further and let rampage against that Armagh defence. He was superb in this role in 2013. Also added to the fact that Higgins hasn't always been the best man marker in the corner. Eoin Ó D is an able deputy for him at cb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    One thing I would love to see( won't happen mind) is Higgins is to be pushed up further and let rampage against that Armagh defence. He was superb in this role in 2013. Also added to the fact that Higgins hasn't always been the best man marker in the corner. Eoin Ó D is an able deputy for him at cb.

That was 6 years ago. Keith is now 34 and has lost that yard of pace. Might work in an impact sub situation but not for a full game certainly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Apparently Cillian IS in the 26 thank god

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

SeanJ09 wrote: »
    One thing I would love to see( won't happen mind) is Higgins is to be pushed up further and let rampage against that Armagh defence. He was superb in this role in 2013. Also added to the fact that Higgins hasn't always been the best man marker in the corner. Eoin D is an able deputy for him at cb.

That's pretty much what was said on the podcast.

Keith Higgins has certainly struggled in recent seasons defensively in the corner.The Kildare game last year comes to mind.I thought he got a lot of unfair criticism post Cathal Cregg's goal,if I recall correctly Chris Barrett should have offered cover for a player who was on back foot with a forward coming at him at pace.

Many posters have sensibly suggested down through the years,that such an offensive threat as Zippy should be used in a more offensive position be it in the half back line/half forward line.

I'd have no concerns about putting Eoin O Donoghue in the corner,he's likely to nail down that corner back position in the near future.

Pretty happy James Horan has mixed it up,it was only mentioned to me Mikey Murray was the Ballina Stephenites midfielder who much impressed us in the first group game of the championship when the Mitchels scraped a draw against the Stephenites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

km79 wrote: »
    Apparently Cillian IS in the 26 thank god
    Has the sub bench been confirmed elsewhere?

seligehgit wrote: »

Pretty happy James Horan has mixed it up,it was only mentioned to me Mikey Murray was the Ballina Stephenites midfielder who much impressed us in the first group game of the championship when the Mitchels scraped a draw against the Stephenites.

It would be great if he becomes a viable option for us as we badly need options in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

The sun is already out. The beer taps are chilled. BBQ's are selling fast. It seems like there's a game on in town this evening folks! Let's get behind the team and we got a positive performance and most importantly, a win.

Looking forward to see how Murray does. If he plays his natural game and the occasion doesn't over awe him too much, he'll do fine.

The sun is already out. The beer taps are chilled. BBQ's are selling fast. It seems like there's a game on in town this evening folks! Let's get behind the team and we got a positive performance and most importantly, a win.

Looking forward to see how Murray does. If he plays his natural game and the occasion doesn't over awe him too much, he'll do fine.

Indeed Bunny it's a glorious day here.

Mac Hale Park looks in optimum condition with a likely bumper crowd in town.

Hopefully the boys will do the business.

Billy Joe has come down pretty heavy on a perceived lack of patience amongst the Mayo support with a patient (side to side) build up.He thought he were most successful whence patiently probing against Down.

Valid criticism or not?

I thought in general it was successful last weekend but it's not as though it's something new we will to introduce into our armoury.Simply needs greater refining.

Sounds like Cillian will get a lot of game time tonight.

I am actually now quite optimisitic about tonight! I have a feeling too we will see Cillian off the bench(prob for Andy after 50/55) which will be a huge boost at that stage of the game. If we do indeed win then I think momentum will carry us through R4 and then a badly needed weeks rest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Billy Joe has come down pretty heavy on a perceived lack of patience amongst the Mayo support with a patient (side to side) build up.He thought he were most successful whence patiently probing against Down.

Valid criticism or not?

I thought in general it was successful last weekend but it's not as though it's something new we will to introduce into our armoury.Simply needs greater refining.

Sounds like Cillian will get a lot of game time tonight.

I think the anxiety in the crowd comes from the past few years of continuously letting teams back into games - we could be ten points up and still not feel safe. That and we tend to give the ball away when we start passing back and forth in front of the screen.

Barlett wrote: »
    I think the anxiety in the crowd comes from the past few years of continuously letting teams back into games - we could be ten points up and still not feel safe. That and we tend to give the ball away when we start passing back and forth in front of the screen.

Nail on head Barlett.

I am as perplexed as ever as to why it is when we go five or six points up we don't push on but rather pretty much do as you outlined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

I think it's probably sacrilegious to say but I do think we are way too quick to get on the teams back during games, the grumbles and groans can't help the players. Probably comes from the supporters nerves as you say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I am actually now quite optimisitic about tonight! I have a feeling too we will see Cillian off the bench(prob for Andy after 50/55) which will be a huge boost at that stage of the game. If we do indeed win then I think momentum will carry us through R4 and then a badly needed weeks rest

No rest for the wicked at all!

First game in Super 8s (away game against a provincial winner) will be directly the week after round 4

There's a break after game 1, but I think we can throw our hat at it if we lose first one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

First game in Super 8s (away game against a provincial winner) will be directly the week after round 4

There's a break after game 1, but I think we can throw our hat at it if we lose first one

Can that be against Roscommon seeing as you have already played them?

Oh crap
    I’ve a wedding the Friday and thought that was a free weekend
    But sure we might get there
    If we do I hope to god it’s the rossies
    Or Dublin in Croker

ProudDUB wrote: »

Yes

ProudDUB wrote: »

Yeah but I'm not sure if it's cork or Cavan we have to beat to play Ros

Winner of Galway round 4 game plays Kerry, and Meath winner plays Donegal

Despite the loss a few weeks back I'd imagine the proportion of mayo fans hoping for Roscommon would be extremely high

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

Mayo masters playing Dublin at 3 in Drumlish co Longford it's make or break today for them , will be a quick spin afterwards to make McHale park

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Yeah but I'm not sure if it's cork or Cavan we have to beat to play Ros

Winner of Galway round 4 game plays Kerry, and Meath winner plays Donegal

Despite the loss a few weeks back I'd imagine the proportion of mayo fans hoping for Roscommon would be extremely high

Win this one and it could be any of the losing provincial finalists of Cavan, Cork, Meath or Galway. afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

The break comes after game 2 i believe.

The break comes after game 2 i believe.

Yes - Right you are, apologies

A serious slog really

charlie14 wrote: »
    Win this one and it could be any of the losing provincial finalists of Cavan, Cork, Meath or Galway. afaik.

Yes I know, but its already determined who each of the round 4 winners will play in the first game of super 8s

The winner of Galway's game plays Dublin, winner of Meath's play Donegal but I'm not sure if its the winner of Cork or Cavan game plays Dublin/Ros

We could get any team Monday morning (if win later) but we will also know who our first potential game in S8 will be also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

What time do people reckon is the best time to head in?

Its a right humid day in Galway today, not a puff of wind and sun shining

Not sure if same in Mayo - but I'd be far from unfit and even out playing golf this morning had me pretty drained.

Could really be an energy sapping game if it stays like this. Bench could well be crucial in that regard. Would be very welcome if COC is an option

PressRun wrote: »
    What time do people reckon is the best time to head in?

If you want a decent seat in the stand you'd want to heading around 6 or earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Yes I know, but its already determined who each of the round 4 winners will play in the first game of super 8s

The winner of Galway's game plays Dublin, winner of Meath's play Donegal but I'm not sure if its the winner of Cork or Cavan game plays Dublin/Ros

We could get any team Monday morning (if win later) but we will also know who our first potential game in S8 will be also

Winner of Cavan game plays Dublin, winner of Cork game plays Ross

NOW THAT IS A STRONG BENCH
    Delighted with that
    Expect one of the forwards to start though
    Caff straight back into 26 ahead of drake :D

Delighted with that

Throw it up km79:)

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Its a right humid day in Galway today, not a puff of wind and sun shining

Not sure if same in Mayo - but I'd be far from unfit and even out playing golf this morning had me pretty drained.

Could really be an energy sapping game if it stays like this. Bench could well be crucial in that regard. Would be very welcome if COC is an option

There's a decent breeze in east Mayo at the moment.

Throw it up km79:)

Apologies not sure it’s legit so will hold fire yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Delighted with that

Is this the bench?

R Hennelly
    E O'Donoghue
    G Cafferkey
    C Boyle
    J McCormack
    J Doherty
    J Carr
    C O'Connor
    D Coen
    C Tracey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

km79 wrote:
    Apologies not sure it’s legit so will hold fire yet

Wouldn't bother with the previous post so

• Advertisement

Is this the bench?

R Hennelly
    E O'Donoghue
    G Cafferkey
    C Boyle
    J McCormack
    J Doherty
    J Carr
    C O'Connor
    D Coen
    C Tracey

If it is I'd be very happy with it given all our recent setbacks injury wise.

Seamie obviously not ready yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Night and day compared to last week's bench. Boyler, DOC and Cillian all capable of making an impact.

You would have to think Carr, Coen or COC would be a better option in the corner than Boland. I know he may move out but if he is staying towards goal I don't see the point of him there.

Yeah very happy with that bench

As Bunny Colvin said its a massive improvement from last week, which was the worst I've seen in at least a decade

Bring on 7pm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Is this the bench?

R Hennelly
    E O'Donoghue
    G Cafferkey
    C Boyle
    J McCormack
    J Doherty
    J Carr
    C O'Connor
    D Coen
    C Tracey

A hot day and no cover for midfield? Would suggest to me that the named team won't start, one of the midfielders will be held in reserve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Is this match available to watch online? I don't have sky....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

finisklin wrote: »
    Is this match available to watch online? I don't have sky....

GaaGo and Now TV

https://www.gaago.ie/fixture/PC10-19-F-QUAL3

https://www.nowtv.com/ie/watch-now-tv

A hot day and no cover for midfield? Would suggest to me that the named team won't start, one of the midfielders will be held in reserve

There is only 25 names there
    Stephen Coen is also on the bench I seen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

john4321 wrote: »

You'll get both matches on nowtv for the same price as one game on gaago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭yew_tree

Can someone post the subs as listed in the programme?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement