Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Why are Mayo fans always so fixated on venues.
    Why are veg frozen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Unreserved seating in Mackey Stand for season ticket holders. I wonder why it is unreserved rather than reserved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

spakman wrote: »
    Nope - emailed them and they said it could be Thursday before it's updated (relying on volunteers etc) so to check on Friday!

Why is Castlebar always slow to update?Down had it updated by Monday lunchtime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

yop wrote: »
    Why are veg frozen?

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Frozen Veg wrote: »
    Why are Mayo fans always so fixated on venues.

It's a big place.

Lots of fans have well over an hour's drive just to get into any of the the neighbouring counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

padd b1975 wrote: »
    It's a big place.

Lots of fans have well over an hour's drive just to get into any of the the neighbouring counties.
    Some even have that much of a drive just to get as far as Castlebar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

It's been going on far too long considering we are a better team than them.

Results tell a different tale....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Will Comer be fit to start ? He'd make a lot of problems in our full back line.
    Defence is looking awful shaky anyway.

And now Keegan out and possibly Harrison too.
    So it could be Cafferkey coming in at full back??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Blackjack wrote: »
    Not sure what the point is here. Mayo being without the services of Parsons, Ruane, Diarmuid o’Connor as well as Seamie o’Shea, James Carr and then Vaughan and Cillian only seeing limited game time as a result of recent injuries is a less than ideal situation, particularly when you consider that 4 first choice midfielders are now unavailable.
    Should we have even less players available across the field to satisfy the definitions?.
    My point was how i found it interesting that 13 of the 2017 All Ireland final starting team played v Armagh at the weekend. For the record the two starters that were missing was Seamus O'Shea,Parsons. Diarmuid O'Connor was a sub for that final. Carr,Ruane of course weren't on the panel two years ago.

Another thing i found interesting was Mayo drawing Galway this morning and i find it daft that two Connacht counties has to play this game in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Will Comer be fit to start ? He'd make a lot of problems in our full back line.
    Defence is looking awful shaky anyway.

And now Keegan out and possibly Harrison too.
    So it could be Cafferkey coming in at full back??

Doubt Comer will be fit to start. Could see him being named on the bench though. He played a few minutes for annaghdown in club championship last weekend. But they threw him in when they were desperate (year on the line etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Another thing i found interesting was Mayo drawing Galway this morning and i find it daft that two Connacht counties has to play this game in Munster.

Green Party should complain to the GAA about the extra carbon emissions this will generate:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

My point was how i found it interesting that 13 of the 2017 All Ireland final starting team played v Armagh at the weekend. For the record the two starters that were missing was Seamus O'Shea,Parsons. Diarmuid O'Connor was a sub for that final. Carr,Ruane of course weren't on the panel two years ago.

Most of the injuries are concentrated in the midfield area. That's the real issue.

Mayo have a good squad and in a lot of games could get by missing 5 or 6 players.

But when the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th choice midfielders are all unavailable at the same time, it's enough to disrupt any team.
    Not to mention DOC was arguably Mayo's best player in the league this year.

Added to which Keegan, who can also operate in midfield (in addition to his normal position) will now be missing for several weeks too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Where would you suggest is good for parking? Hope to be down fairly early as well, and have a wander around the town.

To avoid heavy match traffic I'd recommend to take the tunnel and come in the far side of the city altogether.

With big numbers coming from Galway as well, I'm assuming that the Ennis Road/Caherdavin route will be mental and the Dock Road likely to be rammed as well I'd say

I reckon the best option is Exit 29 which will bring you in the Tipperary/Ballysimon Road. There's a new Supermacs on the way in to town (which is handy if you've got kids with you) and then you can go in by Mulgrave St. and there's plenty of parking available on that side of the city (Summer St,the Cornmarket or the train station are probably the best options imho).

It's a relatively short walk really from there - Limerick city centre is fairly small tbh so you're never to far from anything really.

So it's a bit extra walking alright and maybe a few quid more on tolls/parking but if all goes well you'll be bombing along the motorway when everyone else is stuck in Caherdavin.

Just realised as well I have a dental appointment on Saturday morning - so hopefully that's the only excrutiating & painful experience I'll have for the day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Cartman78 wrote: »
    To avoid heavy match traffic I'd recommend to take the tunnel and come in the far side of the city altogether.

With big numbers coming from Galway as well, I'm assuming that the Ennis Road/Caherdavin route will be mental and the Dock Road likely to be rammed as well I'd say

I reckon the best option is Exit 29 which will bring you in the Tipperary/Ballysimon Road. There's a new Supermacs on the way in to town (which is handy if you've got kids with you) and then you can go in by Mulgrave St. and there's plenty of parking available on that side of the city (Summer St,the Cornmarket or the train station are probably the best options imho).

It's a relatively short walk really from there - Limerick city centre is fairly small tbh so you're never to far from anything really.

So it's a bit extra walking alright and maybe a few quid more on tolls/parking but if all goes well you'll be bombing along the motorway when everyone else is stuck in Caherdavin.

Just realised as well I have a dental appointment on Saturday morning - so hopefully that's the only excrutiating & painful experience I'll have for the day :D

You will be grand as it's all pain free dentistry nowadays.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Not counting chickens or anything but anyone thinking of provisionally booking accommodation in Killarney for a 'possible' Super 8's game would want to get a move on, juts got a place there but very few options for that Saturday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Not counting chickens or anything but anyone thinking of provisionally booking accommodation in Killarney for a 'possible' Super 8's game would want to get a move on, juts got a place there but very few options for that Saturday night

For the Dublin Kerry match in Tralee earlier this year a lot of Dubs stayed in Killarney and CIE put on a train after the match to bring them back there.
    Perhaps they'll do the same and transport fans back to Tralee after that game. 35 minute trip by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Lets hope we start playing faster ball in against Galway as we have been beaten by slow build up play allowing them to get back and put everyone behind the ball sh1t and frustrate the hell out of us. Ros did this as well so we need to start coping onto this tactic and go more direct especially since we have Coen inside/COC back who can win ball.

We need to put an end to been defeated by Galway. It's been going on far too long considering we are a better team than them.
    In your opinion . The last is it 6 or 7 match results dosent tell that . Mayo were a lot better team then Galway 4 years ago . A lot has changed since then Galway have improved a bit and Mayo are not the team they were .

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

It's a good 25 minute walk from the city centre train station to the Gaelic grounds. To save your feet and stop the kids belly aching there's another route. Come down the motorway to Setrights pub at Cratloe a mile before the caherdzvin turn off . Take the left and Turn off and pass Cratloe GAA pitch. Take the next right.Thats the old Limerick road from Clare. Straight into Thomond Park area. You're 5 minutes walk from the Gaelic Grounds and 10 to 15 from the city centre.... it's the best route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

spurshero wrote: »
    In your opinion . The last is it 6 or 7 match results dosent tell that . Mayo were a lot better team then Galway 4 years ago . A lot has changed since then Galway have improved a bit and Mayo are not the team they were .

I don't mean in the head to head. Look over the complete seasons and where both teams sit at the end of the season

There has been very little between both in Connaught. However, It has gone Galway's way by small margins over the last few years . This can always happen in local rivalry.

In croke park, no comparison as Galway have wilted.

• Advertisement

Could potentially end up playing;

Galway
    Kerry
    Meath
    Donegal
    Dublin

In the next 6 weeks, that's some run of newer and older rivals!

The definition of heaven to defeated them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I don't mean in the head to head. Look over the complete seasons and where both teams sit at the end of the season

There has been very little between both in Connaught. However, It has gone Galway's way by small margins over the last few years . This can always happen in local rivalry.

In croke park, no comparison as Galway have wilted.

Galway beat Kerry in Croke Park last year, which matched the only big win ye had the previous year and Galway didn't need a replay to do it. You can keep putting big stock in these moral victories but ultimately losses against Dublin but they're getting to be quite a bit in the past now. Galway were better than Mayo in 2018 with an average age of 24 versus 28. Hard to gauge where both are at this year as both riddled with injuries but up to that point you'd have said one team was trending up and the other down. It's very close, everything from odds to the league form to recent meetings reflects that, it's arrogant to just definitively say you're better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Galway beat Kerry in Croke Park last year, which matched the only big win ye had the previous year and Galway didn't need a replay to do it. You can keep putting big stock in these moral victories but ultimately losses against Dublin but they're getting to be quite a bit in the past now. Galway were better than Mayo in 2018 with an average age of 24 versus 28. Hard to gauge where both are at this year as both riddled with injuries but up to that point you'd have said one team was trending up and the other down. It's very close, everything from odds to the league form to recent meetings reflects that, it's arrogant to just definitively say you're better

Think Galway have improved & Mayo have regressed, but over the course of the decade Mayo have comfortably eclipsed Galway. Think Galway’s meek exits from the Championship under Walsh have done their reputation no favours & would explain why Mayo continually go into to these games as favourites when they’ve no right to be based on previous results. Certainly Galway should be favourites on Sat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Limerick GAA ran a special direct train for their hurling game in Waterford a few weeks back. Was a huge success. The team/panel also travelled on it 'housed' away in their own 2 carriages at the back.
    Sold a combined train/match ticket on their website for €60.
    Would something like this be an option for Mayo and Galway fans.
    For anyone driving and looking for parking, take a look at Na Piarsigh Grounds just a 5 min walk from G/Grounds. (google MAPS)
    They've done a great job for the last few big hurling games. Charge €5.
    Lovely bar there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

padd b1975 wrote: »
    It's a big place.

Split it in two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

BloodyBill wrote: »
    It's a good 25 minute walk from the city centre train station to the Gaelic grounds. To save your feet and stop the kids belly aching there's another route. Come down the motorway to Setrights pub at Cratloe a mile before the caherdzvin turn off . Take the left and Turn off and pass Cratloe GAA pitch. Take the next right.Thats the old Limerick road from Clare. Straight into Thomond Park area. You're 5 minutes walk from the Gaelic Grounds and 10 to 15 from the city centre.... it's the best route.

Nothing wrong with that route either but getting out might be a pain in the hoop possibly. I haven't been on that road in a couple of years tbh but from memory there's a couple of pinch points where you have to stop if you meet a car....could work out but there could be a few Galway fellas with the same idea.

If you are going on that side, I think LIT normally do matchday parking as well (that might only be for rugby, not 100% sure).

Anyway, hopefully no more injuries before the weekend :eek: Keegan will be a huge loss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Saw a Mayo team from 2001. They was a McNicholas on it. Was he Mayo originally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Despite the results, I certainly think Mayo were a better side overall in 2016 and 17, with fine wins against Tyrone and Kerry in the latter stages and drawing with Dublin and losing by a point twice. Galway were well beaten by Tipp and Kerry when they got to CP

I don't think there's much arguing Galway were a better side last year though. Beat Mayo twice, beat Kerry and the side who had knocked out Mayo.

This year galway look to have regressed again, so its a hard one to call. Outside of the league win, there isn't a huge amount of evidence Mayo are any better in the championship than last year. Another early loss in Connacht, being pushed hard by D3 and D2 sides. Time will tell on saturday

thesultan wrote: »
    Saw a Mayo team from 2001. They was a McNicholas on it. Was he Mayo originally?

Marty McNicholas from Breaffy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

jr86 wrote: »
    Marty McNicholas from Breaffy

Thanks thought he might be from Derry with the surname. .

washman3 wrote: »
    Limerick GAA ran a special direct train for their hurling game in Waterford a few weeks back. Was a huge success. The team/panel also travelled on it 'housed' away in their own 2 carriages at the back.
    Sold a combined train/match ticket on their website for €60.
    Would something like this be an option for Mayo and Galway fans.
    For anyone driving and looking for parking, take a look at Na Piarsigh Grounds just a 5 min walk from G/Grounds. (google MAPS)
    They've done a great job for the last few big hurling games. Charge €5.
    Lovely bar there too.

Easy getting into Na Piarsaigh...harder getting out.

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with that route either but getting out might be a pain in the hoop possibly. I haven't been on that road in a couple of years tbh but from memory there's a couple of pinch points where you have to stop if you meet a car....could work out but there could be a few Galway fellas with the same idea.

If you are going on that side, I think LIT normally do matchday parking as well (that might only be for rugby, not 100% sure).

Anyway, hopefully no more injuries before the weekend :eek: Keegan will be a huge loss

Yes it is a narrow road but never an issue getting back. No clogs really. Alot of Galway could come east Clare as in down Whitegate down Broadford and in the Longpavement road.. again landing at Thomond park.
    Looks it's the one city in Ireland with great road connections. Theres a myriad of ways to get in . Please come into the city Centre and enjoy yourselves by the Shannon. It's an awful shame to come to Linerick and not see the Shannon from the Wellesley Bridge

It's an opinion really with zero arrogance. We have definitely fallen back and injuries have compounded the issue for us this year. Galway have found a way to play which has great effect on us and Roscommon play this way as well. This works really well for you in Connaught but in Croke Park this does not work with greater space. I am not sure beating a poor Kerry team last year was such a great achievement. The same applies for Kildare beating a poor Mayo team last year.

What I am really implying that over the course of the last few seasons, we in my opinion are a superior outfit. I am still holding out that this is the case and this is why I say we are better.

The problem now is that you don't see a massive drop off in quality but a gradual decline in performance/results/quality with the ultimate outcome that teams catch up. I am not sure where we are in that process and this is why Galway and Roscommon have delivered results on us.

Time will tell I suppose (I don't mean to offend)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

https://gaa.tickets.ie/Listing/EventInformation/40205

Just looking at tickets.ie, are the usual concession turnstiles unavailable? Normally you buy a full price ticket and go through the concession turnstile to receive the difference back. The website seems to suggest that for concession prices you need to buy tickets at the venue?

It's an opinion really with zero arrogance. We have definitely fallen back and injuries have compounded the issue for us this year. Galway have found a way to play which has great effect on us and Roscommon play this way as well. This works really well for you in Connaught but in Croke Park this does not work with greater space. I am not sure beating a poor Kerry team last year was such a great achievement. The same applies for Kildare beating a poor Mayo team last year.

Appreciate you're not trying to offend. Two points, if it was a poor Kerry team, was 2017 all that great a year for you, beating poor teams in replays and extra time all the way along? It was a better Kerry team in 18 than 17 with Clifford and O'Shea added.

The bolded part, this line needs to stop being trotted out. Pearse stadium is a bigger pitch than Croke Park. Galway have won the last 2 meetings between the sides there. the most comfortable victory of Galways streak was a 5 point win in Feb 18, in a cold but calm and dry Pearse stadium. Walsh, Comer, Kelly and Brannigan ran amok in the space, Galways pacy players that is seen as their main strength.

Roscommon drew with ye in Croker in 17 and have played some of their best football in Croke Park, such as the league final over Cavan.

It was a better Kerry team in 18 than 17 with Clifford and O'Shea added.

Ah i dunno about that - that's a very simplistic way of looking at it

In fairness they won the league in 2017 and beat Galway comfortably

Last year they were mediocre in the league and should have lost to Monaghan after losing to Galway

Ultimately though Galway fans will say Kerry were better last year, and mayo will claim they were better in 2017. But sure no-one will ever know who's right, and does anyone really care?

This Mayo side overall has given a far greater account of themselves in the All Ireland series than Galway

Ok they didn't actually win an All Ireland but believe me there was some unforgettable memories and days out along the way. For what its worth, I expect this Dublin team to win basically every all Ireland for years to come , and in time I think people will look back at these Mayo "failures" much differently

Grand, its probably arguable. You can't just dismiss one team's victory as being versus a "poor team" when a large basis of your argument was beating said team the year previous.

I hate when victories are dismissed as being versus a "poor team". Perhaps they were poor because the weren't allowed to play. Roscommon not being given credit currently is an example, they won because they won every single collision and loose ball in the second half, and kicked great scores, thats not just down to Galway being poor

You could argue it all day, but Galway/Kerry 2018 and Mayo/Kerry 2017 aren't even fully comparable in the first place in terms of significance

Big difference playing them in a high-octane All Ireland semi than the opening round of the super 8s, with no elimination on the line - and an atmosphere like a morgue. As well as that there was all the sub-plots with who would mark Donaghy, the memories of the controversial Limerick classic in 2014, and Mayo's less than stellar record vs Kerry over the years. There was a serious edge to the 2017 game, that was absolutely non existent last year.

Now credit to Galway for doing what they had to and all that but as I said I don't think both games are directly comparable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

10 k tickets sold so far for Saturday

Should we get past Galway, its Kerry in Killarney on Sunday the 14th at 4pm and then Meath/Clare in Croke Pk at 2 on the 21st. Phase 3 to be announced at a later date.

https://www.gaa.ie/news-archive/news/fixture-details-for-all-ireland-football-and-hurling-quarter-finals/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Can ya buy tickets down there on Saturday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Can ya buy tickets down there on Saturday?

I’d say you will no bother.its a big venue.
    Although with the hurlers out for the summer I’d say Galway will have a bigger support then what people expect but I’d say you will have no bother paying in at the gate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

My attendance for Armagh match has been updated

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I wonder will it be possible to get access to the stand opposite the main stand with a season ticket? In 2017 V Cork they opened an entrance behind one of the goals to let people across. Cannot see them doing that on Saturday with a large crowd expected

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Should we get past Galway, its Kerry in Killarney on Sunday the 14th at 4pm and then Meath/Clare in Croke Pk at 2 on the 21st. Phase 3 to be announced at a later date.

https://www.gaa.ie/news-archive/news/fixture-details-for-all-ireland-football-and-hurling-quarter-finals/

Looking at accommodation for Killarney for the Saturday night (not getting ahead of ourselves, how could you anyway with our injury list - can always cancel), it's very expensive at the moment.

Tralee might be the better option, they had a welcome for us there in March and would gladly stay there again.

Also lads, will the season ticket get in you into the U-20 game this evening?

Also lads, will the season ticket get in you into the U-20 game this evening?

Don't think so.

Mayo 0-12
    Sligo 0-2

At half time.

Excellent performance,great mix of good footpassing,high fielding and score taking.

Tommy Conroy is a class act,Stephen McGreal impressive at full forward.Eoghan McLaughlin equally so at left half back.

Great all round team performance thus far.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Mayo 0-12
    Sligo 0-2

At half time.

Excellent performance,great mix of good footpassing,high fielding and score taking.

Tommy Conroy is a class act,Stephen McGreal impressive at full forward.Eoghan McLaughlin equally so at left half back.

Great all round team performance thus far.

Penalty save was top class too. McLaughlin looks some man to carry the ball. Impressive stuff so far.

Don't know about you Bunny but irrespective of how bad Sligo were it appears that Michael Solan has a seriously good team on his hands.

Very impressive tonight.

Mayo 1-25
    Sligo 1-6

Acid test will be Galway next week.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    Don't know about you Bunny but irrespective of how bad Sligo were it appears that Michael Solan has a seriously good team on his hands.

Very impressive tonight.

Mayo 1-25
    Sligo 1-6

Acid test will be Galway next week.

Couldn't help but be impressed selgehgit. The running off the shoulder was something we haven't seen in a while. The backs put in some fair but heavy tackling and won most of the second ball.

The shooting was superb - shot selection and execution. Intelligent balls played long and into the corner. Some of the moves put together inside the Sligo half were a sight to behold. The fitness levels were great too in an energy sapping evening.

If they play anywhere near that level against Galway, they'll put it right up to them. Encouraging stuff all round, well done to all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement