Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

dodo mommy wrote: »
    Will tickets be hard got for the kerry game? Myself and the young fella have season tickets but herself and my little girl don't do I need to be on the ball as soon as they go on sale?
    It has a capacity of 43k but only 9k seated according to their wiki page.
    That'll be the season ticket holders I'd imagine.
    Is the rest just terrace?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Think they're on sale tomorrow, but no sign of the game yet on tickets.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

dodo mommy wrote: »
    Will tickets be hard got for the kerry game? Myself and the young fella have season tickets but herself and my little girl don't do I need to be on the ball as soon as they go on sale?

You expect the Kerry lads to turn out in big numbers for this game. Mayo should bring 15k so should be close to a sell out.

Be interesting to see how Mayo go in a league format. They always play there best football in true knockout games without a safety net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

yop wrote: »
    Great win and heart shown. Top performances all over the field.
    Coen again was top class up front.
    Aos, boyler, Higgins etc etc.
    Great goal for Carr after that run.
    Strange game with the soft goal at the end putting a nicer slant on it for Galway. But the run of wins over us is well buried now.
    Shocking display of ill discipline shown by them, could have seen a few more blacks or reds but our lads held their heads.

Onwards to Kerry now.

100% on Coen. He really stopped the galway fight back when they were starting to get on top with a great point in the second half. I think it has taken him this length of time to mature into a real top player. He has a great little burst of pace to make space once he gets the ball into his hands, always looking for a clever pass or else pop it over. He really is a very impressive player.

One worry for me is that we should have won by alot more and we seemed to
    find it tough going in the second half until Coen's point after the penalty

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Silent night

Is there any where to watch that match again thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

eastmayo wrote:
    Next Sun at 4....head is a bit ruff this morning but great to hear that James horan has not ruled out d o connor or Matthew ruane playing a part in the super 8s.

That would be a great lift for the team. We need a win next week to get the super 8 campaign off to a strong start. Diarmuid and Ruane would add to the mix with their experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

Right here goes.............I'm increasingly optimistic IF we can just get over the super 8s............next weekend is huge . Win that and ............

Ydays game
    Clarke - nobody around me felt he wouldn't save the penalty. That's the confidence he exudes to the whole team. That can't be quantified. That's why playing hennekky at any point over him is insane imo.

Full back line - much better . Prob not Barrett's best day at the office but still did ok. Higgins much better despite his propensity to give me heart attacks by "marking " 10 years in front. Teams have identified it too. Harrison excellent.

Half back line - Paddy much improved . Boyler outstanding but must never ever shoot again :D Donie- did what Donie does - hugely important player

Half forward line- Kevin Mc where he must be played . Brilliant . I wonder if he is fully fit though
    Doc- excellent second half
    Fionn - quieter than usual but he is also strong and a great option from kickouts

Full forward line
    Not much to say. Outstanding. Options we have needed in AI finals are now there and free up Cillian even more too. I hope they get a chance to show it ..........

Horan - set the team up perfectly . Hopefully Kevin Mc is left where he is now . Use of subs still questionable . Not sure what Regan offers except for crazy shots at important times

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

That's great news re Matthew and Diarmuid if true,it does appear Kevin Mc is not a 100%.Can't see any other reason why he'd be pulled ashore.

Zippy,Paddy and Fionn with the their pace are David Clarke's 3 main go to options for the short ones.

Very disappointing shot selection from Evan Regan at the death.

How on earth did Donie not get a penalty?
    Clear charge on him from their full back
    They went up and got 2 scores and the pen straight after as well

God bless Clarke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

km79 wrote: »
    How on earth did Donie not get a penalty?
    Clear charge on him from their full back
    They went up and got 2 scores and the pen straight after as well

God bless Clarke

He caught him on the shoulder. Although if vaughan was a bit smaller, or maybe a bit cuter, he could have manufactured a penalty there.

I think people are harsh on coc. It is a local rivalry, and kerin was giving him loads of it. I think he learned from past experiences and gave kerin exactly what he was looking for.

Re the game itself. No hurricane wind and lashing rain in this fixture for the first time in a long time and the galway gameplan fell flat.
    People are giving out about the ref but galway have gotten away with some seriously overly physical stuff in this fixture in the past so i think that was coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Early on it actually had a feel of the 2013 game all over again, and some of those massacres v Donegal and Roscommon and I was honestly a bit disappointed not to blow them away much more in the first half

Despite our dominance it was getting very hairy looking when they got it back to 3 - but that's when Coen stood up massively. Overall though - deep down, I never felt we were going to be caught at any stage really.

Definitely our best back door appearance so that's worth acknowledging.

Its only the first group game, but a bit of a knock-out feel to the Kerry game already. Hard one to call

He caught him on the shoulder. Although if vaughan was a bit smaller, or maybe a bit cuter, he could have manufactured a penalty there.

I think people are harsh on coc. It is a local rivalry, and kerin was giving him loads of it. I think he learned from past experiences and gave kerin exactly what he was looking for.

Re the game itself. No hurricane wind and lashing rain in this fixture for the first time in a long time and the galway gameplan fell flat.
    People are giving out about the ref but galway have gotten away with some seriously overly physical stuff in this fixture in the past so i think that was coming.

Bigger pitch
    Fair play to Horan for not going for Toss of a coin
    Neither Salthill or Cbar suit us

Moaning about opposition players (re: COC) doing xyz is the worst type of blinkered support, every team has players like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Ref was equally bad for both teams overall. The black cards Galway got were well deserving and probably overdue. He could have handed out more to be honest.

The problem with refereeing is the inconsistency of application of rules, which will always frustrate.
    I’ve said it time and again, the game needs 2 refs and a consistent application of rules. Each ref has their own different inconsistencies, but when you’ve a lad in his forties or fifties racing around the pitch after lads half his age and expecting him to get all the calls right you will be disappointed 9 times out of 10.
    That and the lack of use of Umpires to draw the refs attention to the off the ball stuff is actually criminal underuse of officials. I know most of them are mates with the ref and are there for the Tay and sandwiches but at the very least they should be able to draw the refs attention to the ****housery that goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Blackjack wrote: »

Ref was equally bad for both teams overall. The black cards Galway got were well deserving and probably overdue. He could have handed out more to be honest.

The problem with refereeing is the inconsistency of application of rules, which will always frustrate.
    I’ve said it time and again, the game needs 2 refs and a consistent application of rules. Each ref has their own different inconsistencies, but when you’ve a lad in his forties or fifties racing around the pitch after lads half his age and expecting him to get all the calls right you will be disappointed 9 times out of 10.
    That and the lack of use of Umpires to draw the refs attention to the off the ball stuff is actually criminal underuse of officials. I know most of them are mates with the ref and are there for the Tay and sandwiches but at the very least they should be able to draw the refs attention to the ****housery that goes on.
    All the calls for a second ref. We have 2 linesmen who should be able to call fouls. What a waste of them just to be there to figure out which way the sideline ball goes. Should be able to call a foul like in. soccer and let the ref decide if he wants to give it.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    All the calls for a second ref. We have 2 linesmen who should be able to call fouls. What a waste of them just to be there to figure out which way the sideline ball goes. Should be able to call a foul like in. soccer and let the ref decide if he wants to give it.

I think the linesmen do call a refs attention to stuff more often than not, but they should be given more power to call fouls if they see them.
    That and the umpires, their function is limited to calling a score, a 45 or a wide. They can only tell the ref what they see when the ref asks them. They should be able to draw the refs attention to stuff, not just having to be asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

yop wrote:
    I'm sure we dished it out but we have learnt from years if it against Dublin and I'd be never apologize for it tbh.

Sure you knew how to do it in 2012!!!!

Pull the other one Yop!!
    I wouldn't apologize for it either.

SOS didn't get a run, will he play the next day? He's a good record against those boys.

Stoner wrote: »
    Sure you knew how to do it in 2012!!!!

Pull the other one Yop!!
    I wouldn't apologize for it either.

SOS didn't get a run, will he play the next day? He's a good record against those boys.

He came on in the last minute and doesn’t look near fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Frozen Veg

100% on Coen. He really stopped the galway fight back when they were starting to get on top with a great point in the second half. I think it has taken him this length of time to mature into a real top player. He has a great little burst of pace to make space once he gets the ball into his hands, always looking for a clever pass or else pop it over. He really is a very impressive player.

One worry for me is that we should have won by alot more and we seemed to
    find it tough going in the second half until Coen's point after the penalty

Not sure that Mayo should have won by more.

Power error and missed Galway penalty went in Mayo's favour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Wish we would kick on a bury teams when we have them by the neck. We always let teams back into it when they have no business being in with a shout. It makes us less formidable to play against because teams always feel like they have a chance.
    That all said, it's great to get the win and knock Galway out. It was long overdue.
    And ya know, I love seeing the complaining Cillian. It's great to have him back and have the leadership and aggression he brings. Wouldn't change a thing about him.
    And galway can complain about the ref all they like too, but there are no angels on that Galway team and their discipline was poor.
    Looking forward to Kerry now. Love going to games down there. Hope it's a nice weekend for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

PressRun wrote: »
    Wish we would kick on a bury teams when we have them by the neck. We always let teams back into it when they have no business being in with a shout. It makes us less formidable to play against because teams always feel like they have a chance.
    That all said, it's great to get the win and knock Galway out. It was long overdue.
    And ya know, I love seeing the complaining Cillian. It's great to have him back and have the leadership and aggression he brings. Wouldn't change a thing about him.
    And galway can complain about the ref all they like too, but there are no angels on that Galway team and their discipline was poor.
    Looking forward to Kerry now. Love going to games down there. Hope it's a nice weekend for it.

Thought Galway were slightly better than they're getting credit for. Cooke kept them in it with some serious scores in the first half and they stepped it up in the second a bit.

We didn't kill them off but I think there was a little more to it than just our failure to do so. Not saying they were great either but they had us on the back foot for a lot of the second half.

The first half was our chance to put it to bed though. Far too much lateral play. It's a fine line between composed build up play and just ar*eing around. I was complaining about Boyle's distribution in the first half, and it was poor, but I think he was probably trying to force the issue in the absence of others doing so.

Cooke is a fantastic player, always impresses me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Barlett wrote: »
    Cooke is a fantastic player, always impresses me.

Hmmmm, has had many quiet matches for Galway. Yesterday was easily his best game for us. He's very skilful and can take a score (as seen yesterday). But drifts out of games too much. Still young and improving though

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Kudos to the 2 Galway fans behind me who put their county many in his place when he turned around to myself and my 8 year old and told us we were tinkers when COC went to ground.

Seeing some of the comments on the other threads the Galway lads seen to forget their dancing in the stands when beating us below in cbar few years ago.

Mayo fans well within their right to celebrate and enjoy that win.

Onto Kerry next week.

Kudos to the 2 Galway fans behind me who put their county many in his place when he turned around to myself and my 8 year old and told us we were tinkers when COC went to ground.

Seeing some of the comments on the other threads the Galway lads seen to forget their dancing in the stands when beating us below in cbar few years ago.

Onto Kerry next week.

I had a lad pass behind us too when he was leaving after 65 minutes cursing about it being 60 years and 60 more or something to that effect
    The real Galway supporters who remained till the end were only laughing at him

I actually commented at full time that the celebrations were quite subdued
    There was no rendition of mayo anthems on field anyway ......

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I had a lad pass behind us too when he was leaving after 65 minutes cursing about it being 60 years and 60 more or something to that effect
    The real Galway supporters who remained till the end were only laughing at him

I actually commented at full time that the celebrations were quite subdued
    There was no rendition of mayo anthems on field anyway ......
    That's my point, there was no mayo celebration really. Players went off the pitch and fans don't see piric victories as a Sam winning replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Onto Kerry next week.
    I heard those raised voices. It wasn't nice. Bad form.

Kerry donegal and mayo could all end up on 4 points based on today’s game
    Could go to points difference!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Anyone know if its possible to watch the game back anywhere?

PressRun wrote: »
    Anyone know if its possible to watch the game back anywhere?

Sky go allows you to download it to your sky box
    I watched it back this morning when I made it out of Na Piarsaigh car park :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Kerry donegal and mayo could all end up on 4 points based on today’s game
    Could go to points difference!

And people call Meath fans arrogant! We'll do yee again in 2 weeks like we always have.

risteard7 wrote: »
    And people call Meath fans arrogant! We'll do yee again in 2 weeks like we always have.

Can’t beat the banter :D:D

There’s a reason for the first sentence of your statement. You confirmed it in the second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Ha ha you're funny.

Ha ha you're funny.

Well someone had to replace cruiser :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

I had a read in your own thread some very knowledgeable posters on there
    But of course we got you in or own thread.

Some very decent highlights of the game including the James Carr wonder goal.

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1147593122764996608?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

And all from the same “mod” who described Tuam stadium as a third world kip.disgraceful.

To be fair that's just a factual statement. Surprised that Galway supporters would even disagree with that.

• Advertisement

Lest we all forget the 3rd part of the Mayo Galway trilogy or be it tetralogy when the ladies are included takes place next Wednesday night in Tuam stadium.

Connacht under 20s final at 19.30.

Paddy Neilan of Roscommon is the man in charge.

Micheal Solan's lads look a very promising group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

To be fair that's just a factual statement. Surprised that Galway supporters would even disagree with that.

Was going to say the same thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,356 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

seligehgit wrote: »
    Lest we all forget the 3rd part of the Mayo Galway trilogy or be it tetralogy when the ladies are included takes place next Wednesday night in Tuam stadium.

Connacht under 20s final at 19.30.

Paddy Neilan of Roscommon is the man in charge.

Micheal Solan's lads look a very promising group.

Do you know if this will be on TV or steamed anywhere? It doesn't look look like TG4 are covering it.

https://www.tg4.ie/en/live-sport/gaa-beo/

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I'm guessing we'll have to wear the blue jersey against Kerry and Meath, with the green and red on show v Donegal?

john4321 wrote: »
    Do you know if this will be on TV or steamed anywhere? It doesn't look look like TG4 are covering it.

https://www.tg4.ie/en/live-sport/gaa-beo/

Keep an eye on the Live TV games thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057853050

TG4 may stream it on youtube.

Or else you could up to the game?:)

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    I'm guessing we'll have to wear the blue jersey against Kerry and Meath, with the green and red on show v Donegal?

Lovely jersey. Hope we do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Meath v Mayo in Croker. Your chance of revenge for 96 and 09. Looking forward to a big game with lots of hype that doesn't involve Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,356 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

seligehgit wrote: »
    Keep an eye on the Live TV games thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057853050
    TG4 may stream it on youtube.

Or else you could up to the game?:)

Hopefully they will it was great to be able to watch the minors on Friday night. Im away for work so won't be in the country thats why I asked.

john4321 wrote: »
    Hopefully they will it was great to be able to watch the minors on Friday night. Im away for work so won't be in the country thats why I asked.

Wednesday night.

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Meath v Mayo in Croker. Your chance of revenge for 96 and 09. Looking forward to a big game with lots of hype that doesn't involve Dublin.

Indeed looking forward to renewing acquaintances!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

@Green Peter et al

How about instead of moaning about posts you actually help us mods out and report them instead of posting off topic drivel?

We do not and are not expected to read every post on this forum, so if you have a problem with a post report it instead of moaning and make our job a little easier thanks and one of us will check it - if it’s not within rule it will be actioned and appropriate cards/bans/posts deleted

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement