Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Clarke a rabbit in headlights here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

PARlance wrote: »
    Clarke a rabbit in headlights here.

He has ONE target
    AOS
    It's easy mark one lad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Its like clarke is looking for david moran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Braindead stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Horrid stuff. It like they can't see the Kerry jerseys. The amount of intercepts is criminal. Kerry shooting has been excellent but there has been no plan to deal with that full forward line. Clarke doesn't know what to do with his kickouts, some sympathy for him as he has no options but some of his choices have been terrible. Game over, get some pride back for next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

km79 wrote: »
    NO
    Hennelly over Clarke
    NO

I can’t be arsed even arguing any more

It absolutely still is an argument...
    Kickouts shocking today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

PressRun wrote: »
    It absolutely still is an argument...
    Kickouts shocking today

I still wouldn't have Hennelly in there. We've not won a single ball in midfield, this is where we are losing this

We dont have a midfield to contest anyway. Moran cleaning up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

I bet we’ll win the second half

• Advertisement

Panrich wrote: »
    I bet we’ll win the second half

We need to
    Scoring difference

I still wouldn't have Hennelly in there. We've not won a single ball in midfield, this is where we are losing this

Clarke has been making many of the same mistakes as Hennelly

And a save Hennelly wouldnt have made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Let a defender take the kick out

Rubbish

We are competing on kickouts now we have another midfielder out there
    Horan in fairness would prob have liked to make the change earlier but he just couldn't

Need to keep chipping away now
    Every point matters

Oh ****e

Stephen o Brien is killing us
    Paddy durkan badly missed

No he hasn't, Clarke is a better shot stopper and miles better in a one on one situation and everyone I know says the same thing.

• Advertisement

Keep the discipline please
    Can't afford any more absentees

Theres no excuse for the decision making made by many of the players today.

Theres no excuse for the decision making made by many of the players today.

No
    Again in fairness to Horan some of it has been inexplicable

We need Kerry to beat Donegal now or the group is probably over

We have left 4 or 5 points behind us in last few minutes
    Could be costly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

You need to beat Meath too. Wouldn't take them for granted based on the toothless performance from Mayo today, Meath lost by a big score but I'd say their heads are high as they were alright today.

Stoner wrote: »
    You need to beat Meath too. Wouldn't take them for granted based on the toothless performance from Mayo today, Meath lost by a big score but I'd say their heads are high as they were alright today.

Yeah it could all be over next weekend for us but I'm still hopeful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Panrich

If you look at it realistically we’ve fallen a long way back into the pack so Meath will fancy their chances next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

I hate to say it but I had a feeling this was going to happen. The media built the hype train before this match and Mayo fell for it after beating an average Galway team. Beaten all over the pitch from what I could see on a stream from abroad so feel free to correct me if I’m wrong. Clarke kick outs were not planned for properly, people said all week Kerry would press and so they did. Midfield was a disaster. And poor loss of possession when kicking and trying to feed ball up the pitch into the forwards. I really hope they come out firing next week. Once again why did we get rid of Rochford who always got his tactics and match ups right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Carol25 wrote: »
    Once again why did we get rid of Rochford who always got his tactics and match ups right?

This argument will be really hammered home if Donegal get the better of us tactically

No reason to believe we have anything near enough in the tank for Donegal, if we even get over Meath, which I have doubts about in itself. Kickouts were utterly abysmal, we could barely keep the ball kicked out and were on the back foot instantly from nearly all restarts.

Half forward line deserves special mention - disaster area all day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Any shortcuts home? , traffic slow in abbeyfelle atm

Yeah it could all be over next weekend for us but I'm still hopeful
    Rochfords mistake was not bringing in the new players we seen this year. Coen instead of Drake......... No argument.
    Different league today, could not get the ball past midfield. Carr and othets looked likevthey took sleeping tablets.
    Will probably need Kerry to beat Donegal now just to get through, assuming we can beat them as well.
    Good for the new lads to learn, but Rochford should have started that two years ago.
    Best we can hope for now is a semi against Dublin for the youngsters experience 😭

Any shortcuts home? , traffic slow in abbeyfelle atm
    Turn off at Abbeyfeale for Athea

Best we can hope for now is a semi against Dublin��

That's a big ask, it means winning the next 2, I'm not sure that's possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Not making an excuses as it was a very bad day at the office but I'd the impression the lads were out on their legs?

Chasing shadows for the majority of the contest.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Not making an excuses as it was a very bad day at the office but I'd the impression the lads were out on their legs?

I agree
    A game too far against a well rested motivated and dangerous opponent
    I was worried before the game and it came to pass
    However
    The worst thing about today is the scoring difference now means a Donegal win next weekend and it won’t matter what we do
    If we can just stay alive until the Donegal game we will have a few back hopefully
    Our middle sector which is the heartbeat of our team has been decimated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

A draw next weekend would be a perfect result.

irishgeo wrote: »

As long as we win!!!!!!

They were and this is where an injury crisis catches up with you. Same players playing week in and week out with no let up. Aidan O'Shea essentially manning midfield on his own for the last few games. Have felt he has not been fully fit since the Armagh game either.
    Would also wonder about Lee Keegan's 'miraculous recovery' and whether he's definitely up to speed too.
    Really poor, lethargic passing and tackling all day.
    Still doesn't excuse the awful decision making that was going on since minute 1 and the fact that we didn't seem remotely up for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Let a defender take the kick out

Is this a genuine option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

They were and this is where an injury crisis catches up with you. Same players playing week in and week out with no let up. Aidan O'Shea essentially manning midfield on his own for the last few games. Have felt he has not been fully fit since the Armagh game either.
    Would also wonder about Lee Keegan's 'miraculous recovery' and whether he's definitely up to speed too.
    Really poor, lethargic passing and tackling all day.
    Still doesn't excuse the awful decision making that was going on since minute 1 and the fact that we didn't seem remotely up for it.

Posted in the championship thread - for me the heat was a big big factor in Mayo's performance - I was on the terrace and there was serious heat there in the first half - there was a kickout at one stage around the 30 minute mark in the first half I was looking around and I thought - everyone out there on the pitch on both sides was just desperate to get in out of the sun. On my way home I met an older relative who told me they were considering leaving at half-time because of the strength of the sun. It did ease a bit in the 2nd hald as some clouds drifted in but it was a long way of optimal conditions for playing ball.

The heat on it's own is one thing but combine that with Mayo going through the qualifier route meaning this was Mayo's 6th game versus Kerry's 3rd of the championship and that before you factor in the injuries/knocks Mayo had picked up along the way (I definitely don't think Keegan was at 100% and AOS
    didn't look 100% to my eyes either - AOS seemed to struggle massively in the first half in terms of covering ground; he did come into it more in the 2nd half - I would really not be surprised if a fair amount of Mayo's main men weren't 100% in terms of fitness - it had the feel of a performance where a chunk of lads were carrying knocks. I definitely wouldn't be writing off Mayo at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Was at the game
    Mayo were paying the price of their injuries and the long road to get to a 25c game in Killarney
    Kerry just dominated every kick out and that setup their scores in the first half in particular
    Mayo had no alternative.

Hopefully they can beat Meath next week, let's not take it as a given
    In the other game draw or a Kerry win would suit Mayo going into the final game v Donegal.
    If it goes to a three way tie for the two places Mayo are already screwed by being -10 already on points difference

It's back to knock out football for Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

The worst thing about today is the scoring difference now means a Donegal win next weekend and it won’t matter what we do
    If we can just stay alive until the Donegal game we will have a few back hopefully
    Our middle sector which is the heartbeat of our team has been decimated

I think we're the first game next Sunday at 2pm. Which is a good thing.
    We have to focus on ourselves....and forget about whatever Donegal might do.

For nearly 60 minutes today Meath were putting it up to Donegal on their home turf. They'll take plenty of positives from that.
    We've a big challenge now to bounce back and get the win next week.

There were a few tired legs out there today and has been mentioned already Keegan is hardly at 100%.
    Anyone know if Durcan is likely to be back soon?

• Advertisement

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Posted in the championship thread - for me the heat was a big big factor in Mayo's performance - I was on the terrace and there was serious heat there in the first half - there was a kickout at one stage around the 30 minute mark in the first half I was looking around and I thought - everyone out there on the pitch on both sides was just desperate to get in out of the sun. On my way home I met an older relative who told me they were considering leaving at half-time because of the strength of the sun. It did ease a bit in the 2nd hald as some clouds drifted in but it was a long way of optimal conditions for playing ball.

The heat on it's own is one thing but combine that with Mayo going through the qualifier route meaning this was Mayo's 6th game versus Kerry's 3rd of the championship and that before you factor in the injuries/knocks Mayo had picked up along the way (I definitely don't think Keegan was at 100% and AOS
    didn't look 100% to my eyes either - AOS seemed to struggle massively in the first half in terms of covering ground; he did come into it more in the 2nd half - I would really not be surprised if a fair amount of Mayo's main men weren't 100% in terms of fitness - it had the feel of a performance where a chunk of lads were carrying knocks. I definitely wouldn't be writing off Mayo at all.

Aos is clearly carrying an injury and was basically on his own too for the first half
    McLoughlin has either not started or been subbed after 50 minutes of last 3 games. So he clearly isn’t right either
    Keegan not right .
    Vaughan is not fit . Seamie obviously not .
    Durkan out along with Diarmuid and Ruane (and Parsons )

When you see it typed out like that it is basically the strongest part of our team wiped out.
    That’s why I refuse to be too harsh on anyone today
    To stop Kerry you starve their forward of the ball as we did for much of league final
    We couldn’t do it today
    I’m just praying that kerry win or draw , we win and have a bit of break and recovery to give Donegal a rattle
    I don’t fear them
    And take it from there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Its not like they played yesterday though. If you're slightly jaded it might tell in the last 10 minutes. Thats forgiveable but it didn't pan out like that. Kerry outworked ye, were more switched on and hungrier to make an impact from the throw in. Thats mindset.

You lads are always loathe to criticise your players and the sense that they give everything for the cause is unquestioned. I think thats a weakness tbh. The players were comfortable playing second fiddle to Kerry and they should be called out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

irishgeo wrote: »

That would be the worst result. Best result is kerry win, leaving 2nd place wide open and no head to head result or dcorind difference should we get thru

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Squatman wrote: »
    That would be the worst result. Best result is kerry win, leaving 2nd place wide open and no head to head result or dcorind difference should we get thru

Yea, now that they have lost to Kerry (by 10) the last place they want to be in in an equation that includes Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Mayo got the kickouts all wrong inthe first half......not the end of the world..better team than kerry in my view..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Rubbish

We are competing on kickouts now we have another midfielder out there
    Horan in fairness would prob have liked to make the change earlier but he just couldn't

Need to keep chipping away now
    Every point matters

Oh ****e

Stephen o Brien is killing us
    Paddy durkan badly missed

When the game was in the mixer Clarke couldn’t find his man. Every dog on the street knows if you force Clarke to kick it long Mayo will struggle. It’s hilarious the free pass he gets in comparison to Hennelly. I would hate to see the **** that would be goin down here if it was Hennelly in goals. Everything would be hunky dory once Hennelly was dropped after the Roscommon game, apparently. People seem to forget the league final how Hennelly got us up the pitch time & time again. Clarke even gave a short one that Kerry hit the bar with ala Hemnelly v Roscommon.

I knew as soon as we met a decent decision 1 team they would target Clarke’s kickouts and do serious damage. That came to pass today. The stats for the first half would be interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    Mayo got the kickouts all wrong inthe first half......not the end of the world..better team than kerry in my view..

They lost by 10??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Fann Linn wrote: »
    They lost by 10??

Don’t bite!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Don’t bite!!!

Thanks. Too much sun & wine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Not long back home (Limerick)....great day out with the young fella but hugely disappointing result and performance.

I think it was a game to far for us tbh....a week off was badly needed....the injuries and miles on the clock combined with the heat meant Mayo were struggling from the first minute.

Hopefully they can regroup quickly and beat Meath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

BENDYBINN wrote: »

Unfortunitely its only points that count and in that matter and all other facets, we were comprehensively beaten.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement