Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭snowgal

km79 wrote: »
    That’s the end of the keeper debate anyway
    We won’t see Clarke and his silly kickouts again

I’d imagine a new keeper needed tbh, both pretty bad... same as ourselves.. thought Hennelly might be better, but not at all in the end....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Seadin

I feel sad for this mayo team. I think since 2012 they left at least 2 all irelands after them. New panel needed now i think. Sad to see the end of andy moran. A class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Better football players than Dublin. Just didn't have the fitness.

Hahahaha

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Half time came too soon lads. Unlucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Well then that the problem and not Dublin and others need to change. That been said the season Dublin lose then the mythos is gone

Im not going down that road with you. A pundit has already said as much as I have regarding tomorrows game being a mere formality. So Im hardly the only one who would feel sorry for both teams tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭snowgal

beertons wrote: »
    Half time came too soon lads. Unlucky.

Unlucky?? Come on now, they were fairly destroyed in the 2nd half....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

Time to duck out of here till the league
    Keep the fair lads
    KM Iam still waiting on my cans

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

You guys have given us some great games over the years, and I thought that it was all set up for another nail biting finish there at half time, turns out I was very wrong.

Don't think that anyone could be too shocked I suppose, the amount of injuries that you guys have had would take a toll on any team, including Dublin, and then the frankly ridiculous schedule that your team had to face into post getting knocked out of Connacht couldn't have helped.

I'd be gutted if it ended like this for Andy Moran, has always seemed a gent on and off the field. Parsons coming back on was something that even I cheered, can't believe that he's made it back, I was sure that his career was over.

Hopefully you're back next year, sans injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

They were **** in the second half. Lets say it as it is. First half brilliant. The dubs know how to turn it on. Hopefully kerry get through to final. Tyrone are ****e. Dubs still to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Seadin

keavebm wrote: »
    They were **** in the second half. Lets say it as it is. First half brilliant. The dubs know how to turn it on. Hopefully kerry get through to final. Tyrone are ****e. Dubs still to win

The jury is still out on kerry and Tyrone. Neither are good enough to beat the Dubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

2nd half was hard to watch, had a good view of the Davin stand goal and was very disappointed with the defensive set up in the 2nd half, wide open at the back on multiple occasions and not rectified. Team also looked tired in the 2nd half and 2nd to every ball. Dublin looked like they’d woken up, fresh and like they could play on forever at an incredibly intense level. Players have given so much, it’s a good achievement to have reached a semi this year what with the injuries, etc. But seeing Dublin play as they did, you have to wonder, why bother playing for 2nd place continuously...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Mayo were unfortunate hitting their peak at the wrong time, I have a photo of me sitting in the Sam Maguire in 1993 something which modern Mayo children don't which sounds odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

naughto wrote: »
    Time to duck out of here till the league
    Keep the fair lads
    KM Iam still waiting on my cans

Carriage E
    Enjoyable mayhem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

Seadin wrote:
    The jury is still out on kerry and Tyrone. Neither are good enough to beat the Dubs.

Rightly said. Dubs have the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

As a Leitrim man would just like to say Mayo put in an immense performance in 1st half today.Stars of Dublin team like Mc Caffrey,Fenton,Kilkenny were marked out of it.However the age old failing Mayo have with taking their chances left a shell shocked Dubs team only a kick of a ball behind at halftime.I was fearful that Mayo might pay for their misses and unfortunately that was how it turned out.
    Was surprised that Mayo didn’t play it ‘negatively’ for first five mins of 2nd half......
    Instead they continued to go man for man and they started to leak scores.
    Very much Dublin’s All Ireland to lose....reckon Kerry will win by 3 or more points tomorrow.
    Again thanks for the titanic effort and entertainment Mayo,could see Higgins,Moran,Boyle and even Lee Keegan retiring after this.

Lee Kegan retiring? Haha

The guys got years and years left ffs. All those Mayo boys who the public are earmarking for retirement could easily go again to be honest and would still serve a purpose. The fact is today has showed they are so far behind Dublin and they will never win an all ireland it’s whether thay they can be bothered.

It’ll always be a black mark on them though.They’ve had their chances and didn’t take them for whatever reason. A sad end, but such is life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

CatInABox wrote: »
    You guys have given us some great games over the years, and I thought that it was all set up for another nail biting finish there at half time, turns out I was very wrong.

Don't think that anyone could be too shocked I suppose, the amount of injuries that you guys have had would take a toll on any team, including Dublin, and then the frankly ridiculous schedule that your team had to face into post getting knocked out of Connacht couldn't have helped.

I'd be gutted if it ended like this for Andy Moran, has always seemed a gent on and off the field. Parsons coming back on was something that even I cheered, can't believe that he's made it back, I was sure that his career was over.

Hopefully you're back next year, sans injuries.

Thanks Cat.
    Would genuinely like to see the Dubs finish it now, regardless of what's happened between Mayo and Dublin over the years. Have never begrudged Dublin tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭conor05

Only a handful of Mayo players would make the Dublin 26 man squad.

Silliest post I’ve seen in a while

conor05 wrote: »
    Only a handful of Mayo players would make the Dublin 26 man squad.

Silliest post I’ve seen in a while

Tyrone sure...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

A game of 2 halves if ever that needed to be trotted out. Fair play to Dublin, they knew how to turn it on in the second half and we had no answers.
    Can’t argue with the result. We were shocking in the second half, we really did miss Jason Doherty today, but can’t realistically believe we would have won even if he was there, the margin might have been less however.

Good to see some gracious posters here, no surprise to see others looking to rub our noses in it either though.

Best of luck to Dublin and the remainder of the counties left. Hard to see any of those that play tomorrow stop the 5 in a row, but the beauty of sport is that you never know.

Back next year to give it another go. Up Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,248 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Which game are you referring to :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Tyrone sure...

Really hope Kerry win tomorrow.

Not because I don't like Tyrone,

TBH I think Dublin and Mayo would beat them anyway.

Just sick of playing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,248 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Well at least ye made them sweat for the first half. The second half with that Dublin performance, nobody would have lived with them.
    I was down in the dumps last Saturday after Castlebar, but in all honesty today looking at that second half I was kinda relieved we weren`t there.
    Tough on your minors. Some lovely footballers there for the future, but that is a very good Cork team with a great eye for goal.

Blackjack wrote:
    Best of luck to Dublin and the remainder of the counties left. Hard to see any of those that play tomorrow stop the 5 in a row, but the beauty of sport is that you never know.

Thank you Blackjack.

Things went well in the second half for Dublin. Its amazing when the momentum swings, all the 50 50 breaks went Mayos way in the first half and it flipped in the second.

Obviously there's more to it than that, but sometimes as a fan it looks that way.

I was delighted for Con O'Callaghan he was emence and Mannion was great too.

On paper that was a good Mayo team, but maybe some of the subs should be starters.

You'd imagine SOS might call is a day, if parsons is back and there's a couple a good young lads coming through there now, best to play them from now on, although injuries played their part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Did ye notice that when dublin came out in the second half, they had music blaring, but not when mayo came out before them. Really $hitty IMO, flaunting home advantage. I know its nit picking and the better team won by a mile, but it would definitely help motivate them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Squatman wrote: »
    Did ye notice that when dublin came out in the second half, they had music blaring, but not when mayo came out before them. Really $hitty IMO, flaunting home advantage. I know its nit picking and the better team won by a mile, but it would definitely help motivate them

Was it your first time in Croke Park? They play that David Bowie snippet when the second team comes out. Sometimes Dublin are first out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Wonder how many of the Mayo lads will call it a day. Will the manner of the comprehensive defeat make the mind up for one or two or will all come back to reach for the summit once more. They love doing what they do so i'd expect most to be togging out for the league.

Wonder how many of the Mayo lads will call it a day. Will the manner of the comprehensive defeat make the mind up for one or two or will all come back to reach for the summit once more. They love doing what they do so i'd expect most to be togging out for the league.

Mayo would be better served breaking up the group and focusing on a rebuild. Look its harsh. When Gilroy pushed Whelan, Ryan and co out 10 years it was a slap in the face to them. I look back on my posts from then and i was outraged! I was outraged and wrong though.

Mayo have good underage structures and maybe a younger group can forge their own path to success.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

corny wrote: »
    Mayo would be better served breaking up the group and focusing on a rebuild. Look its harsh. When Gilroy pushed Whelan, Ryan and co out 10 years it was a slap in the face to them. I look back on my posts from then and i was outraged! I was outraged and wrong though.

Mayo have good underage structures and maybe a younger group can forge their own path to success.

Fair point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Stoner wrote: »
    Thank you Blackjack.

Things went well in the second half for Dublin. Its amazing when the momentum swings, all the 50 50 breaks went Mayos way in the first half and it flipped in the second.

Obviously there's more to it than that, but sometimes as a fan it looks that way.

I was delighted for Con O'Callaghan he was emence and Mannion was great too.

On paper that was a good Mayo team, but maybe some of the subs should be starters.

You'd imagine SOS might call is a day, if parsons is back and there's a couple a good young lads coming through there now, best to play them from now on, although injuries played their part.

Con was exceptional. He’s quite the talent. It realty is a shame that some of this team will have to call it a day without reaching the holy grail but such is the way of life. It really is a shame that we have had our best team in Living memory coming up against the team that it rightfully considered the best of all time.
    There is still talent coming through in Mayo that will mean that we are likely to continue at the top level for a few years. We’re not dead yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Blackjack wrote: »
    Con was exceptional. He’s quite the talent. It realty is a shame that some of this team will have to call it a day without reaching the holy grail but such is the way of life. It really is a shame that we have had our best team in Living memory coming up against the team that it rightfully considered the bear or all time.
    There is still talent coming through in Mayo that will mean that we are likely to continue at the top level for a few years. We’re not dead yet.

That's life as you say

Tis only sport

been some savage days out along the way I'll never forget. ANd more to come no doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Thank you Blackjack.

Amazing swing. Half time came to early for Mayo. Seemed everything went their way in first half, breaking balls and decisions. I did notice just before half time a few Mayo lads were puffing and my hope was Dublin would not concede a goal before half time. I didnt see what happened in first 15 minutes of second half coming.
    Squatman wrote: »
    Not nit picking just silly. Do you thing rhe players even noticed.

Time needs to be called for a few lads. They are very proud men and might want one more chance.

The service they have give to Mayo and GAA is unbelievable.

Im not inclined to criticize lads or write their epitaphs but start with Donie Vaughan and Andy Moran. They owe nothing. After that Im not sure but come the national league I would rotate Keith Higgins, Chris Barrett, Colm Boyle/ Kevin McLoughlin. They need time out. Higgins has serious miles on the clock and is without doubt one of the greatest players I have ever seen but he needs to be minded.

There is always the talk about the keepers. Is it time for a new start? get 3 new keepers. It has to have an impact on the squad the way the way Hennelly and Clarke attract so much discussion!!

Do Mayo really take Connaught seriously? While Roscommon are provincial champions Mayo are a better side and have better players in my opinion so I question the approach.

Every year Mayo produce good underage teams and enough are coming through. I would be building a team around Fionn McDonagh, Fergal Boland, Darren Coen, James Carr, Paddy Durcan. Brendan Harrison, Lee Keegan.

Paddy Durkan should be the new poster boy of Mayo football. What a player

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

That was a dirty drive home.

I'm not sure what happened in the second. Lost every break going in the period where Dublin scored something like eleven without reply. Backs didn't have any answer to their speed and power but we didn't help ourselves. Cluxton catches a ball from going over the bar and they go down and score their first goal. They were rampant though, not many could stop that and they had precision to match it. Couldn't believe how exposed we looked at times.

What a contrast to the first half - that was inspiring stuff from the lads and I thought we would be right up for contining the fight from the restart- with a strong bench to come in as well. But what happened was just hard to watch.

I thought our support was excellent today, right behind the team from the get-go and did their best even with the collapse in the second.

Good to see Tom Parson's back and to get a standing ovation despite the havoc he walked into.

If any of the lads walk away from it this year, then they can hold their heads up high. We suffered heavy knocks and had amazing days out down the year's but whatever the result, they were a credit to the county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Lee Kegan retiring? Haha

The guys got years and years left ffs. All those Mayo boys who the public are earmarking for retirement could easily go again to be honest and would still serve a purpose. The fact is today has showed they are so far behind Dublin and they will never win an all ireland it’s whether thay they can be bothered.

It’ll always be a black mark on them though.They’ve had their chances and didn’t take them for whatever reason. A sad end, but such is life.

Put yourself in Keegan’s shoes,sadly he is not the same player that he was before injury.....not easy to face back into the grind of Winter training with a body that is creaking.

Put yourself in Keegan’s shoes,sadly he is not the same player that he was before injury.....not easy to face back into the grind of Winter training with a body that is creaking.

I'd say he will stay, on paper at the very least.
    His goal was finished brilliantly today.

Maybe let the young lads into the halfback line and give him a go in the forwards.

TBH if there are a few packing it in, I'd say he'll delay it rather than have a mass exit. It would look better if he stayed.

He's skipped winter training before and slimmed down for the championship hasn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Really hope Kerry win tomorrow.

Not because I don't like Tyrone,

TBH I think Dublin and Mayo would beat them anyway.

Just sick of playing them.

Sick of being beat in the league this year? Kerry are a bigger challenge than Dublin this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

As a Leitrim man would just like to say Mayo put in an immense performance in 1st half today.Stars of Dublin team like Mc Caffrey,Fenton,Kilkenny were marked out of it.However the age old failing Mayo have with taking their chances left a shell shocked Dubs team only a kick of a ball behind at halftime.I was fearful that Mayo might pay for their misses and unfortunately that was how it turned out.
    Was surprised that Mayo didn’t play it ‘negatively’ for first five mins of 2nd half......
    Instead they continued to go man for man and they started to leak scores.

I think that's a lazy comment to make. We missed very little in the 1st half. Seamie O'Shea and Boyle scored 2 points that they would rarely get. Dublin had 2 goal chances in the 1st half and only got a point between them.

Our problems were all in the 2nd half. Playing too positive wasn't the issue, we just couldn't get hold of the ball. We started missing a few shots as well but they would only have put some gloss on the scoreline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    I think that's a lazy comment to make. We missed very little in the 1st half. Seamie O'Shea and Boyle scored 2 points that they would rarely get. Dublin had 2 goal chances in the 1st half and only got a point between them.

Our problems were all in the 2nd half. Playing too positive wasn't the issue, we just couldn't get hold of the ball. We started missing a few shots as well but they would only have put some gloss on the scoreline.

In terms of shots to scores ratio yes, but there were a fair few good potential attacks that came to nothing aswell and I think that's what that poster is getting at

Its a fair enough comment. Obviously its tough criticism but when you're playing this Dublin side you'd need to be nearly scoring basically every chance you create in all honesty.

We needed a goal or 2 in the first half to have any hope. Never close to getting one. If we could have snuck one and went in 5 or 6 up, we could have had them well rattled, though I'd still fancy Dublin

Sick of being beat in the league this year? Kerry are a bigger challenge than Dublin this year.

I am Strabanimal. It's still raw. It was a good league win for Mayo this year all right.

How are you anyway, were you away? You were missed. Francie was flying the 6 counties flag in your absence. He did a decent job, but he'd need a 6+3 forum.

Being honest. I would genuinely rather play Kerry. We only played Tyrone last week and the final last year was not good. I think its rubbish playing a same county so close together (bar replays etc)

A other genuine question, Tyrone have fantastic support. Why is there no Tyrone forum here? Other counties with similar support have a decent number of supporters here.

Can you get a few of your buddies online.
    It would significantly improve the forum imo.

I'd say he will stay, on paper at the very least.
    His goal was finished brilliantly today.

Maybe let the young lads into the halfback line and give him a go in the forwards.

TBH if there are a few packing it in, I'd say he'll delay it rather than have a mass exit. It would look better if he stayed.

He's skipped winter training before and slimmed down for the championship hasn't he?

Durcan should join him in the forwards imo.

He can take scores and he has a lovely way of finding space. No better man for the up and down the pitch he's asked to do but maybe Mayo would be better served channelling his efforts. He missed a few but the players turned to him and not any of the 6 forwards for the shooting. Tells a story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I'm not sure what happened in the second. Lost every break going in the period where Dublin scored something like eleven without reply. Backs didn't have any answer to their speed and power but we didn't help ourselves. Cluxton catches a ball from going over the bar and they go down and score their first goal. They were rampant though, not many could stop that and they had precision to match it. Couldn't believe how exposed we looked at times.

What a contrast to the first half

I'm at a loss to explain the turnaround either beyond just "Dublin stepped it up when they came out for the second half." You could say their first goal was a blow to morale but it was happening before that. Sometimes momentum just shifts in a sporting contest for no discernible reason...And once the bus starts rolling down the hill it's almost impossible to push it back up...

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

I am Strabanimal. It's still raw. It was a good league win for Mayo this year all right.

A other genuine question, Tyrone have fantastic support. Why is there no Tyrone forum here? Other counties with similar support have a decent number of supporters here.

Yeah I kinda stated why there are practically no ulster fans on here in my thread about the 6 counties.

Glad your true feelings are finally showing. Precisely why i created my 6 county thread.

Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

corny wrote: »
    Durcan should join him in the forwards imo.

He can take scores and he has a lovely way of finding space. No better man for the up and down the pitch he's asked to do but maybe Mayo would be better served channelling his efforts. He missed a few but the players turned to him and not any of the 6 forwards for the shooting. Tells a story.

Durcan was playing in the forwards against Dublin and for much of the Donegal game.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

km79 wrote: »
    As I said all along
    I’m more interested in the keeping the ball out of the net stat
    But that’s overrated apparently

Won’t be replying to any more on it I’ve said my piece
    A sad day
    We had the best/joint best player in one position in the country and people consistently wanted him dropped
    Won’t have to worry about that anymore now

Hennelly and Clarke have been good servants but time to look at other options.

Time to give Schlingermann and one other keeper a run in the league next year.

We know exactly what Clarke and Hennelly give us at this stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

How have Mayo never found a goalkeeper apart from the error prone duo they have used last few years?

Surely someome in county is good enough to even get a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

How have Mayo never found a goalkeeper apart from the error prone duo they have used last few years?

Surely someome in county is good enough to even get a chance
    In fairness we are not just talking about replacing any old goalkeeper Clarke is a two time all star. There is not one keeper in the country that is not prone to the odd error especially with the way defenses are pushed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

I dont agree with the finding fault with hennelly tbh. Cluxton had numerous kickouts turned over in the game also. That is just the nature of the game at present. The difference is dublin just fouled us when we won their kickouts, while we naively tried to play on.
    At the end of the day, we lost kickouts out near the halfway line, sometimes nearly on the sideline - those are not scoring opportunities for dublin.

Our mistake in the game yesterday was going 2 on 2 in the fb line in the 2nd half and allowing dublin to kick into them. Once that first goal went in we should have dropped back 1 if not 2 sweepers and all of a sudden those kicks inside become turnovers and we break up the pitch and peg them back. This notion of giving a forward a 1 on 1 in front of the goals with good ball going to them is haphazard. All that had to happen is a lucky deflection, a slip etc and it is a goal.

We blame hennelly because the kickouts ended up as scores, whereas cluxtons turnovers were spoiled and dublin got a blanket defense in place. The difference there isnt the kickout being turned over, it is what happened afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

I'd expect Andy, David Clarke and possibly Higgins to bow out.

Andy was making a point of shaking hands with almost every Dublin player at the end yesterday. Looked like a guy that was waving goodbye to his intercounty career. He owes us nothing and has been an amazing servant to the cause. He'll be sorely missed. End of an era.

Higgins, imo should step away now.
    I think we're in a better position to replace him. He's started to show his age a bit over the last year. O'Donoghue is a good prospect and Stephen Coen has shown he can do a job in that position too.

Clarke, despite being the best shot stopper in the country is hamstrung by his kickouts and the top teams will always ruthlessly expose this. Has been dropped for some pretty big games over the years because of this. He turns 36 before next season starts so very possible he will go.

I'm optimistic Colm Boyle will give it another year. He was ferocious in the first half yesterday and against Donegal too, and he just loves playing for that jersey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Zeek12 wrote:
    Andy was making a point of shaking hands with almost every Dublin player at the end yesterday. Looked like a guy that was waving goodbye to his intercounty career. He owes us nothing and has been an amazing servant to the cause. He will be sorely missed. End of an era.

A total class act that just got better and better with age. Heres hoping he might play some part in the backroom team sometime in the future with the amount of experience he has.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement