Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    A total class act that just got better and better with age. Heres hoping he might play some part in the backroom team sometime in the future with the amount of experience he has.

And his professional expertise in the 'strength and conditioning' field:p

I dont agree with the finding fault with hennelly tbh. Cluxton had numerous kickouts turned over in the game also. That is just the nature of the game at present. The difference is dublin just fouled us when we won their kickouts, while we naively tried to play on.
    At the end of the day, we lost kickouts out near the halfway line, sometimes nearly on the sideline - those are not scoring opportunities for dublin.

Our mistake in the game yesterday was going 2 on 2 in the fb line in the 2nd half and allowing dublin to kick into them. Once that first goal went in we should have dropped back 1 if not 2 sweepers and all of a sudden those kicks inside become turnovers and we break up the pitch and peg them back. This notion of giving a forward a 1 on 1 in front of the goals with good ball going to them is haphazard. All that had to happen is a lucky deflection, a slip etc and it is a goal.

We blame hennelly because the kickouts ended up as scores, whereas cluxtons turnovers were spoiled and dublin got a blanket defense in place. The difference there isnt the kickout being turned over, it is what happened afterwards.

Thats the way Horan does it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Thats the way Horan does it.

He has employed boyle as a sweeper often this year...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

A total class act that just got better and better with age. Heres hoping he might play some part in the backroom team sometime in the future with the amount of experience he has.

The funny thing with Andy is that we've been saying this for a couple of year's and he's just kept it going. He made a huge impact against Meath and Donegal too. I'd completey understand if he wants to end his inter-county career now but he could probably still do another year and realistically contribute to the 26, even having him in the dressing room would be beneficial. It's up to him but I'd say he'll more than likely call time. Legend and a class act all round. Sad to see it coming to an end.

How have Mayo never found a goalkeeper apart from the error prone duo they have used last few years?

Surely someome in county is good enough to even get a chance

Clarke is nowhere near error prone. Safe as a house in goal, he just doesn't have the quality on kickouts that the modern game is now demanding,

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

Because of the Breaffy influence, Hennelly will never be dropped from the squad and if Clarke is injured will start a fair number of games.

I'm not going to pin the defeat on any one player. Just a very poor day at the office for everyone after a long hard year. The result was unsurprising.

At this stage I'd take a keeper who can stop the odd goal chance but also is capable of an average number of decent kickouts. Time for Horan to give others a chance. Its actually turning into a weak spot now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

The funny thing with Andy is that we've been saying this for a couple of year's and he's just kept it going. He made a huge impact against Meath and Donegal too. I'd completey understand if he wants to end his inter-county career now but he could probably still do another year and realistically contribute to the 26, even having him in the dressing room would be beneficial. It's up to him but I'd say he'll more than likely call time. Legend and a class act all round. Sad to see it coming to an end.

I think he might stay on

Clarke will go and be badly missed
    Higgins will prob go too as he doesn’t strike me as someone who will want a squad role. He will prob go hurling again .
    Seamie looked fresh and hungry
    Boyler defo won’t go
    I don’t think there will be mass retirements

km79 wrote: »
    I think he might stay on

Clarke will go and be badly missed
    Higgins will prob go too as he doesn’t strike me as someone who will want a squad role. He will prob go hurling again .
    Seamie looked fresh and hungry
    Boyler defo won’t go
    I don’t think there will be mass retirements

I don't think it's the absolute decline in ability. There's obviously been a drop off, naturally but it might just be a case that they've done enough mileage and don't want it anymore. You couldn't blame any of them, they've been some servants to the county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

i am not from mayo but i enjoy watching them play. only team to put it up to dublin last few years.
    andy moran is a class act but yesterday when he came on he could not use his power to influence the game because the dublin players are very powerful and fit.
    the dublin players are professionals and mayo did very well yesterday considering.
    dublin could give tyrone/kerry a right thrashing.

i am not from mayo but i enjoy watching them play. only team to put it up to dublin last few years.
    andy moran is a class act but yesterday when he came on he could not use his power to influence the game because the dublin players are very powerful and fit.
    the dublin players are professionals and mayo did very well yesterday considering.
    dublin could give tyrone/kerry a right thrashing.

Sadly the game was done before any of our subs came on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Andy has said previously that he'd play for as long as he could. He's had plenty of good games this year so I hope he waits on. Clarke and Higgins are probably the most likely to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Andy will go. He had to be convinced to stay on this year. Clarke and Higgins also I think. Wouldn't be surprised if Seamie goes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

PressRun wrote: »
    Andy will go. He had to be convinced to stay on this year. Clarke and Higgins also I think. Wouldn't be surprised if Seamie goes too.

I don't know how true it is but allegedly he shook hands with all the Dublin players and then went up to the Hill and applauded and received applause from there also. I"d say he'll retire with his head held high.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I don't know how true it is but allegedly he shook hands with all the Dublin players and then went up to the Hill and applauded and received applause from there also. I"d say he'll retire with his head held high.

He has done that before
    He is extremely sporting
    Wouldn’t take it as a retirement goodbye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭irishgeo

We need to stop losing in Connacht. Win the feckin thing. Straight into the super 8s. No trekking across the country and being forced to play every week and pick up injuries. Tired players pickup in injuries.

Mayo and Dublin had roughly the same number of chances. Dublin converted 67% of theirs. Mayo 46%. That's the game there.

We need to be able to take our scores. The amount of handing off and handpassing at the half back area was noticeable yesterday when scores were on.

irishgeo wrote: »
    We need to stop losing in Connacht. Win the feckin thing. Straight into the super 8s. No trekking across the country and being forced to play every week and pick up injuries. Tired players pickup in injuries.

Mayo and Dublin had roughly the same number of chances. Dublin converted 67% of theirs. Mayo 46%. That's the game there.

We need to be able to take our scores. The amount of handing off and handpassing at the half back area was noticeable yesterday when scores were on.

Another 3 or 4 young players required to be drafted in for the league this year. The number 9 from the minor team looks like a great prospect for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Felt really disappointed coming out of Croker yesterday. Can't help but think it's the end of that team. Will forever be grateful for the memories if it is. And if it is, I'm so disappointed for the warriors who won't get their hand on just one medal.

Have to agree that I think it's the end of the debate regarding goalkeepers for the following reasons. Clarke is a better shot stopper and more solid on the ball. I can't help but be nervous when Hennelly is going to do something. With a more natural kick out, he does fluff them a bit as well. He kicked straight to the dubs in the first half and gifted them a point. But mostly, I think Clarke will retire. I hope he doesn't but can't help feeling that.

It will be hard to replace the likes of Andy, Boyler, Higgins when they go (if they go this year). We do have some reasons for optimism tho, Ruane, McDonagh, Carr are great finds, Paddy Durcan is one of the finest wingbacks in the country at the moment. Not many players keep the reigns on McCaffrey like he did yesterday. Another few years in AOS, COC, leeroy hopefully also. Eoin O Donoghue will step into the full back like hopefully. Darren Coen had a decent year I felt. Just need to find another couple of inside forwards as well. We'll keep motoring on anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Mayo really worked hard to.make Dublin look good. How many shots were locked into the goalies hands? How many easy points were wasted looking for goals? How many wides? The three goals coming from mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It's difficult not to sound patronising but as a neutral, I've always liked mayo, they play exciting football, I like Dublin ( current team) for the same reason.

When you think about it, mayo have no business ever beating Dublin, small county with a dispersed pool l of players

System needs a shake up, Dublin could be split into several regions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,397 ✭✭✭Robson99

Hasn't that alway been Mayos problem for last 10 years. Just not enough quality in the final third of the pitch.
    Lacking a Ciaran McDonald, Padraic Joyce, Gooch, Mike Meehan, someone with that bit of class who on the big day can deliver.
    Anyone of this would have delivered at least one all Ireland fir mayo over the last 10 years... even Dean rock would have gotten ye over the line...
    Thats the end of that mayo team. But there looks to be a few good young players coming through... though I dont see anything in the forwards.
    Andy Moran still year best forward and should gave started yesteray

• Advertisement

This is it. There was a lot of buck passing in the forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

How do you mean he had to be convinced to stay on? He was invited to the trials last November along with everyone else and accepted the offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

JJayoo wrote: »
    Mayo really worked hard to.make Dublin look good. How many shots were locked into the goalies hands? How many easy points were wasted looking for goals? How many wides?

Most of this happened when the game was effectively gone though. When you're ten points down you kind of have to force the goal chances. The winning and losing of the game was in the first ten minutes of the second half. The key question in terms of learning from the game is whether they could have done things differently in that period. When Dublin are in rampant mode, I'm not sure any team could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,465 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yesterdays outcome was not that much of a surprise to me

Yes it was good to see them go out and be strong early on but the writing was on the wall at that stage, Dublin were always going to come back, Mayo could never sustain it.

From the time they beat Donegal it was always last throw of the dice stuff v Dublin.
    If they could get past Dublin they had a "massive" three weeks break and Dublin would be out of the picture
    Thus you saw the likes of Vaughan, match unfair Diarmuid O' Connor and Ruane all take the field, it was all or nothing there and then

Overall I think they had a good season with one huge, big, manky annoying, frustrating, blemish on it.

Losing to Roscommon !

That was terrible, in a season where you could plot your way to a Super 8 game v Dublin and a SF avoiding Dublin they went and fell at the first hurdle (ignore NY)

And it was a shocking

That set up as summer of long road trips, with an ageing team, quick turnarounds, and a team littered with injuries.
    Which all added up to a whollping from both Kerry and Dublin

It could have been so much different.

Sure there were some good wins in between, especially v Galway and Donegal, but in those games Mayo hung on, it was a sticking plaster.

Overall I think people should be happy with what Horan has done in 2019
    They won the league obviously and have introduced (or re-introduced) a host of new players, that's exactly what was required
    O' Donoughe, Ruane, McDonough, Boland, Tracey, Carr etc are all young, it will take them a few years to (hopefully) really become top players.
    If you look at it the likes of Barrett and McLoughlin etc made their debutes in the late '00s early '10s, but it was in the mid to '10s that they were top of their game, it takes about 5 years.

The above mentioned new guys that are coming through are mainly forwards, Mayo now need to do the same at the back and in goals.

I can see Higgins, Clarke and So'S hanging them up, MacLoughlin and Andy continuing as impact players
    Unfortunately I don't see a future for Loftus or Regan, they never sparkled as we had hoped.

Overall I'd be positive about the future, there is going to be no wipe out, they will still be a team well capable of getting to a SF and further

This 100%

Winning Connacht this year would have put them in a Group with Dublin, Tyrone and Cork
    They are well capable of beating the latter two and that would be enough to get them to a SF v Kerry or AN Other, which would be a much better prospect than v Dublin

Next year will likely be the last year of the Super 8 in it's current structure and it will be Ulster+Connacht in a group and Leinster + Munster in the other

So you winning could put you in a group with Tryone/Donegal and losing (the Connacht final) could put you in a group with Dublin and Kerry

i know which I would prefer

Win Connacht

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Overall I'd be positive about the future, there is going to be no wipe out, they will still be a team well capable of getting to a SF and further

100%

I reckon we'd have rattled Kerry much better in a semi, or in the last super 8 game. The timing of the game - and being in Killarney - lead to a very flat performance.

Outside of that we're absolutely well capable of beating anyone, as was proven this year. Ok we didn't play Tyrone but I reckon we'd be well able beat them.

Should be well and truly aiming for a semi again next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Robson99 wrote: »
    Hasn't that alway been Mayos problem for last 10 years. Just not enough quality in the final third of the pitch.
    Lacking a Ciaran McDonald, Padraic Joyce, Gooch, Mike Meehan, someone with that bit of class who on the big day can deliver.
    Anyone of this would have delivered at least one all Ireland fir mayo over the last 10 years... even Dean rock would have gotten ye over the line...
    Thats the end of that mayo team. But there looks to be a few good young players coming through... though I dont see anything in the forwards.
    Andy Moran still year best forward and should gave started yesteray

It's a team in transition in some areas. But it certainly isn't the end of this side. Mayo will be in the mix next year no doubt.
    Horan tbf has blooded some decent young guys this season. Mayo won a league title without the likes of Parsons, Cillian O'Connor, Seamie O'Shea and with others like Andy and Colm Boyle only playing bit parts.

At most I reckon only three guys will retire. Andy will be a big loss if he goes, but we're in a good position with emerging players in midfield and the backs to cover other potential losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

corny wrote: »
    Mayo would be better served breaking up the group and focusing on a rebuild. Look its harsh. When Gilroy pushed Whelan, Ryan and co out 10 years it was a slap in the face to them. I look back on my posts from then and i was outraged! I was outraged and wrong though.

Mayo have good underage structures and maybe a younger group can forge their own path to success.

First off on what was a black day for the green and red,very well done to the ladies.Sarah Rowe's goal setting up a semi final clash against our great rivals.A great accomplishment considering all last year's controversies.

Hard luck on the minors.They came up against a juggernaut of a Cork team.A very physically imposing team with a great skill set.Luke Jennings who thus far greatly impressed in the campaign will learn much from the day.Our backs in general struggled greatly on their direct opponents.Marauding runs from the likes of Ruairi Keane which were thus far a feature of the campaign were few and far between.

We struggled to get a foothold in the middle of the park athough our star man Paddy Heneghan took some lovely scores from play.Ethan Henry if he continues to progress will be a senior county player.A wonderful ability to strike a free off the ground is a rare quality.

Dylan Thornton,Paul Walsh and Frank Irwin struggled to make the required impression in the game.Niall Feeney took his goal with aplomb.

The craziness of minor football is Cork's munster conquerors were this afternoon defeated in a classic by Galway.

Re the senior contest.TBH the result was of little surprise.IMO a significant rebuild is required and same will be the true test of James Horan's second reign as manager.

Next year's league campaign should be very challenging if predicted retirements occur or he wields the axe.

A goalkeeper for the long term future needs to be identified whither it be Slingerman,O Malley or Flanagan.Successors for Keith Higgins and Chris Barrett need to be explored.Eoin O Donoghue is one obvious candidate.

Lot's of mileage in the half backline but Paddy will be a mainstay for a number of years.Will Colm Boyle go again next year?He was outside of Aidan O Shea our standout player this championship,he was simply immense yesterday.A tad perplexing why he was called ashore.Can Lee Keegan rediscover his mojo after those awful injuries and years on the road?The likes of Michael Plunkett and young James McCormack will need to get much greater game time in next year's league.Is Shane Nally worth another opportunity?

Aidan and Matthew Ruane could be a fruitful partnership.It was wonderful to see Tom Parsons receive such acclaim from all comers post his recovery from a potentially career ending injury.He keeps himself in such good condition he could possibly be a good backup as he enters the twilight of his career.Can Mikey Murray from the Stephenites force his way into contention?

I'd imagine Seamie O Shea will call it a day.

Heard the same rumours re Andy Moran requiring great peruasion to come back again this year.What a player,he owes his county nothing.Kevin McLoughlin,poor Jason Doherty,Donal Vaughan have great mileage up on their respective clocks so long term successors for these players require identification.

Lads like Ryan O Donoghue,Tommy Doherty,Conor Diskin and Cian Hanley potentially have much to offer the senior setup.

There is much to be positive about with the many new players introduced this year Ruane,McDonagh and Carr.Very raw talents but offering much hope.

Viewing the match,post match review podcasts banned and a genuine lack of interest/despair post our exit.An imperious Dublin team going for a five in a row,the best I've seen in the flesh.How ruthless is Gavin?Foolhardy to believe he'd stay loyal to O Sullivan and my worst fears fulfilled.When will they ever be beaten?Five in a row,67 years and waiting.:P

All credit to our wonderful supporters who travelled in their thousands to offer their support to their county whom they'd no expectation of victory.

Things are tightening up in the distant chasing pack of Dublin.I'd expect much improved challenges from Cork,Meath,Donegal and possibly Galway if they allowed to set up more offensively.

Finally I really can't express enough my disappointment in Cillian's red card at the death,take your beating with some grace.

God knows we can take a slagging but did anyone see 'the stunt' Paddy Power did yesterday? I thought it was in bad taste - getting a horse drawn carrigage and sticking a coffin in with flowers in the Mayo colours (with something written about the curse), followed by mourners dressed in black. Talk about disrespect to the '51 team and to Paddy Prendergast and his family, who is still very much alive. Not to mention Padraig Carney, who only died a couple of months back. To think they actually went to the bother of that, hiring the carriage and horses and getting some simpletons to dress up for their picture. All for a few social media likes and a little exposure of course.

Then again, what would you expect from Paddy Power. They're a ****ty company who hides behind a happy leprauchan persona but feeds off addicts and people spending whatever disposable income they have. You only need to look at the GAA to see some horror stories involving gambling addiction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Then again, what would you expect from Paddy Power. They're a ****ty company who hides behind a happy leprauchan persona but feeds off addicts and people spending whatever disposable income they have. You only need to look at the GAA to see some horror stories involving gambling addiction.

God knows we can take a slagging but did anyone see 'the stunt' Paddy Power did yesterday? I thought it was in bad taste - getting a horse drawn carrigage and sticking a coffin in with flowers in the Mayo colours (with something written about the curse), followed by mourners dressed in black. Talk about disrespect to the '51 team and to Paddy Prendergast and his family, who is still very much alive. Not to mention Padraig Carney, who only died a couple of months back. To think they actually went to the bother of that, hiring the carriage and horses and getting some simpletons to dress up for their picture. All for a few social media likes and a little exposure of course.

Agree. Seen loads of pics of it on social media, personally I didnt think it was that interesting as adverts go and it was a bit lame indeed. But here we are talking about it, yourself and myself Bunny C, which Im guessing is the objective of the whole thing! But yeah PP are known for their daft advertisements. And ruining people's lives/relationships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Saw that. Bad taste. They seem to specialise in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Isn't the whole story of the curse that we overtook a hearse after winning the final in 51 and the widow/priest cursed us, J felt it was in reference to that rather than the remaining players on that team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

When I was kid everyone said it happened in Tarmonbarry, but now it's Foxford.

Agree. Seen loads of pics of it on social media, personally I didnt think it was that interesting as adverts go and it was a bit lame indeed. But here we are talking about it, yourself and myself Bunny C, which Im guessing is the objective of the whole thing! But yeah PP are known for their daft advertisements. And ruining people's lives/relationships.

Any publicity is good publicity from their prespective alright but it's no harm to highlight it.

I'd love to see the gambling industry tightened up in this country and PP go bust but that's for another day's discussion.
    Isn't the whole story of the curse that we overtook a hearse after winning the final in 51 and the widow/priest cursed us, J felt it was in reference to that rather than the remaining players on that team

The fact that Padraig Carney was buried a couple of months back makes it in bad taste. I doubt his family would appreciate seeing a coffin and a reference to the team he played with, that soon from his funeral. Not to mention Paddy Prendergast, a man who's still alive to see it. But that's Paddy Power, always great banter from them, lose your weekly wage packet in minutes and sure you'll come out smiling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

While I'm at it. I'm rewatching the game on RTE player.

That intro before that game by RTE was a bit depressing from a Mayo perspective too.

• Advertisement

Well, in better spirits today.
    Looking back on the year, we probably overacheived a little given all the setbacks. Was great to win the league final and was delighted with the wins over Galway and Donegal in the championship, plus we unearthed a couple more players. Think Fionn McDonagh is a great addition and James Carr, while still a little green, has potential. Mattie Ruane is probably the find of the year for us and should be a starter next year. We need to scour the county for goalkeeping options and a full back.
    I think Connacht should be the number one priority for next year. There is no reason we can't take that title back and stop the treks through qualifiers - it's too energy sapping and a minefield for injuries. We need to make things easier for ourselves.
    So hopefully next year we can get a Connacht title under our belt and continue to grow the panel. No reason we can't continue to be competitive even if a couple do walk away this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

PressRun wrote:
    Well, in better spirits today. Looking back on the year, we probably overacheived a little given all the setbacks. Was great to win the league final and was delighted with the wins over Galway and Donegal in the championship, plus we unearthed a couple more players. Think Fionn McDonagh is a great addition and James Carr, while still a little green, has potential. Mattie Ruane is probably the find of the year for us and should be a starter next year. We need to scour the county for goalkeeping options and a full back. I think Connacht should be the number one priority for next year. There is no reason we can't take that title back and stop the treks through qualifiers - it's too energy sapping and a minefield for injuries. We need to make things easier for ourselves. So hopefully next year we can get a Connacht title under our belt and continue to grow the panel. No reason we can't continue to be competitive even if a couple do walk away this year.

Well said. I feel a lot more optimistic for the team this year than I did last year. Considering what we were up against all season re injuries with another long scenic route I feel happy with how far the team got this year. Obviously would love to have the next 3 weeks looking forward to a final and the builup but I feel theres a silver lining on the horizon with the newer lads hence why I dont feel so gutted today.

Well, in better spirits today.
    Looking back on the year, we probably overacheived a little given all the setbacks. Was great to win the league final and was delighted with the wins over Galway and Donegal in the championship, plus we unearthed a couple more players. Think Fionn McDonagh is a great addition and James Carr, while still a little green, has potential. Mattie Ruane is probably the find of the year for us and should be a starter next year. We need to scour the county for goalkeeping options and a full back.
    I think Connacht should be the number one priority for next year. There is no reason we can't take that title back and stop the treks through qualifiers - it's too energy sapping and a minefield for injuries. We need to make things easier for ourselves.
    So hopefully next year we can get a Connacht title under our belt and continue to grow the panel. No reason we can't continue to be competitive even if a couple do walk away this year.

I’m the same
    Didn’t plunge into the usual darkness at any stage today :)
    Wholeheartedly agree winning Connacht has to be our priority next year

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lillielad

Hard luck yesterday guys, am a Kildare man with family from Mayo, I have fell in love with this team and the effort they have put in over the last few years, no doubt about it you guys will be back next year ready to challenge. Savage support yesterday as always.

Side note but why was the Hill booing Moran, pretty cat if you ask me...

Grabbed this article off the All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2019 thread.My mate was telling me about it yesterday.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/mayo-s-chris-barrett-balancing-work-and-play-for-gaa-not-sustainable-any-more-1.3981640

I truly believe inter county players are not compensated sufficiently for their levels of commitment and sacrifices in terms of lost income/time lost and the consequential undoubted adverse affects in terms of family life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

lillielad wrote: »
    Hard luck yesterday guys, am a Kildare man with family from Mayo, I have fell in love with this team and the effort they have put in over the last few years, no doubt about it you guys will be back next year ready to challenge. Savage support yesterday as always.

Side note but why was the Hill booing Moran, pretty cat if you ask me...

Probably goes back to 2006 when he scored the goal against them.

cocoman wrote: »
    Probably goes back to 2006 when he scored the goal against them.

And 2013 when he scored the goal and cupped his hands to his ears towards Hill 16.

Apparently he got a good reception from Hill 16 after the game yesterday, when he went over and appluaded them.

TBH I think the booing is indicative of a deep respect for the quality of player he is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

And 2013 when he scored the goal and cupped his hands to his ears towards Hill 16.

Apparently he got a good reception from Hill 16 after the game yesterday, when he went over and appluaded them.

The man is pure class and I didn't notice any booing. But that was mostly because of the screams of your denizens for most of the game. I've never been at a louder match than yesterday.

I really hope he's back next year. And I really want him to get a Celtic Cross before he retires.

Commiserations again, I thought it was going to be a 2015 job at HT.

The man is pure class and I didn't notice any booing. But that was mostly because of the screams of your denizens for most of the game. I've never been at a louder match than yesterday.

I really hope he's back next year. And I really want him to get a Celtic Cross before he retires.

Commiserations again, I thought it was going to be a 2015 job at HT.

It was a great atmosphere for the first half. I thought our support were really fired up and responded to what they were seeing on the pitch.

Fair play and best of luck in the final. We'll meet again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

seligehgit wrote: »
    Grabbed this article off the All Ireland Senior Football Championship 2019 thread.My mate was telling me about it yesterday.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/mayo-s-chris-barrett-balancing-work-and-play-for-gaa-not-sustainable-any-more-1.3981640

I truly believe inter county players are not compensated sufficiently for their levels of commitment and sacrifices in terms of lost income/time lost and the consequential undoubted adverse affects in terms of family life.

Brilliant article.

The flip side of course, is that inter county footballers do get much more opportunities (and rightly so) than the average joe. I’m talking employment wise, in an educational sense, and then even the softer bits like endorsements etc.

The big thing though which you’ve touched on and the hardest thing I believe is when you’re trying to progress in your profession is just the constant distraction and rushing out to get to training down at home or whatever which absolutely does have a negative impact on your performance at work and your focus. County players will always get a bit of leeway in that respect but it is hard. I was involved with a senior club down the country at home a while ago when I was starting out in Dublin and even that commitment of getting back every weekend and maybe getting back for training once a week was exhausting. Cannot even imagine what’s required for the like of Barrett and it does need looking at. The climate has changed and I would suggest that there are far more inter county players based in the capital now than at any other stage before in the GAA.

From that article I’m just glad the Mayo boys don’t have to drive themselves at least!

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Saw that. Bad taste. They seem to specialise in it.
    Remember kids
    Even though he may act like he is, Paddy Power is not your friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,738 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Still gutted after Saturday but proud of the team - it was some battle through the qualifiers and the Super 8's but playing Dublin was a sobering experience.

re: Paddy Power - absolutely despise their media bantz and general paddywhackery. I'd recommend reading "Tony 10" by Declan Lynch if you want to see their true colours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭shockframe

Mayo will proabaly lose 1 or 2 players over the winter as opposed to a mass exodus.

Same thing happened with Kerry. They held onto the likes of Aidan O'Mahony and Marc/Tomas O'Se until they were in their mid 30s.

Either way I don't reckon Mayo will go quietly. The transition has started already and with a depleted squad they still made a semi final. Connacht is competitive but not Ulster-strong. Roscommon have improved but not quite Monaghan standard. Galway could be anything but their inconsistency holds them back.

in the 90s and 00s they came in short bursts but soon faded into the distance but they have 8 out of 9 solid seasons in a row now. Mayo got 2 or 3 more years out of this team than they really should. That resilience will serve them in good stead the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

When I was kid everyone said it happened in Tarmonbarry, but now it's Foxford.

It was always foxford any time i heard anything about it . Paddy Prendergast spoke about exactly what happened in an interview he did before the 2017 final i believe if you want to know more about it. It all got blown out of propotion after that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement