Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

New mayo news podcast out this morning. Its worth a listen, some good audio in it from the usuals. Horan mentioning new faces for next year so looking forward to what the club championship will throw up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

muddle84 wrote: »
    New mayo news podcast out this morning. Its worth a listen, some good audio in it from the usuals. Horan mentioning new faces for next year so looking forward to what the club championship will throw up!

Definitely a good few positives from the year. Read something this morning that said the age profile of the squad that finished the game on Saturday was actually younger than what Dublin finished with, so the youth is there. A squad built around Paddy Durcan, Diarmuid O'Connor, Fionn McDonagh and Matthew Ruane, as well as retaining experienced players who still have age on their side like Cillian, Aidan, Lee, and Brendan Harrison, has plenty of scope to be competitive in the latter stages of the championship. Would like to see Eoin O'Donoghue get more game time next year as he's well able and has more than held his own when introduced this year. I highly doubt we've seen the last of Jason Doherty either, he still has loads to offer. As I said before, full back and goalkeeper are the two positions that need to be examined the most urgently over winter, and work needs to be done on the forward line, cultivating James Carr's potential and keeping an eye out around the county for one or two others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

PressRun wrote: »
    Definitely a good few positives from the year. Read something this morning that said the age profile of the squad that finished the game on Saturday was actually younger than what Dublin finished with, so the youth is there. A squad built around Paddy Durcan, Diarmuid O'Connor, Fionn McDonagh and Matthew Ruane, as well as retaining experienced players who still have age on their side like Cillian, Aidan, Lee, and Brendan Harrison, has plenty of scope to be competitive in the latter stages of the championship. Would like to see Eoin O'Donoghue get more game time next year as he's well able and has more than held his own when introduced this year. I highly doubt we've seen the last of Jason Doherty either, he still has loads to offer. As I said before, full back and goalkeeper are the two positions that need to be examined the most urgently over winter, and work needs to be done on the forward line, cultivating James Carr's potential and keeping an eye out around the county for one or two others.

I'm asuming he's okay after his wallop?

He should have been taken off straightaway to my mind (as should have COC). He had gone down like a sack of spuds. It looked awful where I was sitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

He should have been taken off straightaway to my mind (as should have COC). He had gone down like a sack of spuds. It looked awful where I was sitting.

Oh is that why he was subbed ?
    Didn’t realize that
    Thought it was a strange change at the time but with horan who knew !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Have to say felt like end of an era on Saturday evening.
    Maybe it is the way it was first time Dublin really tore the team apart and maybe it is looking at fact the old stalwarts like Moran, Higgins, Clarke, Vaughan and possibly a couple of more will be no more.
    Added to that the injuries that some of the real powerhouses of the team have absorbed over the last few years and the hard years put in are I believe beginning to tell.

As regards the match some might say one shouldn't have a pop at management at this stage, but the second half and the Kerry match just copperfastens my belief that Horan has learned nothing from his years away.

He just stood on the sideline and did nothing as defense was being torn open time and again, as the kickouts were being intercepted.
    He had Parsons running up and down the sideline so why not introduce him as another target man for kickouts.
    Also go ultra defensive even for a couple of minutes to just steady the ship, introduce McLoughlin as another sweeper.

And yes Dublin were immense and maybe those changes plus some ultra cynical ploys like starting some handbags or having the odd player go down with injury might not have stopped it, but might just might have broken up the flow and momentum a bit.
    Standing there hoping is not going to do anything to remedy the situation.

As for the players they don't owe anybody anything.
    The fans both Mayo and indeed the entire GAA football world owe them gratitude for the enjoyment and entertainment they have brought us time and again.

Listening to Marian Finucane on the radio Saturday morning read out the article detailing Chris Barrett's week says all that needs to be said about the dedication of these guys.
    I am sad that these guys have never gotten a celtic cross that surely in any other time would have come their way, but they owe no one anything.

A lot of these guys will be fondly remembered in the same regard as some of us remember the Willie Joes or Ciaran Macs.

And the championship will be all the poorer for not having Mayo competing at the very top.

Some will say I am writing the team off, but sorry I can't see the shoes of some of those either departing, just playing bit parts or not having the power they once had due to injuries being easily filled.
    They were once in a generation players and it was a pleasure to see them at their prime.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Definitely a good few positives from the year. Read something this morning that said the age profile of the squad that finished the game on Saturday was actually younger than what Dublin finished with, so the youth is there. A squad built around Paddy Durcan, Diarmuid O'Connor, Fionn McDonagh and Matthew Ruane, as well as retaining experienced players who still have age on their side like Cillian, Aidan, Lee, and Brendan Harrison, has plenty of scope to be competitive in the latter stages of the championship.

Very true.

The talk of Mayo being finished, too old, too many miles etc. is totally exaggerated. Take our forward line for example.
    Assuming Andy decides to call it a day, we'd probably have the two O'Connors, McDonagh, Darren Coen, Doherty, James Carr next year.
    By my count that's an average age of less than 26 by start of next season. You could interchange a few others in there like McLoughlin, Loftus or Fergal Boland but it doesn't change the age profile much.

Similar at the back. If Clarke and Higgins bow out, you'll have young guys like O'Donoghue and Stephen Coen who are ready to come into that defence.
    And the keeper situation needs to be looked at anyway, regardless of what David decides to do. Both keepers on the panel have weaknesses which have been magnified and exploited in games against the top teams.

Zeek12 wrote: »
    The talk of Mayo being finished, too old, too many miles etc. is totally exaggerated.

It's something people like to go on about but we've several key players still under 30. When I looked at the ages of some of the Dublin players involved in the 26 on Saturday, they had a few on the wrong side of 30, which I hadn't even realised because its virtually never talked about.

Honestly I didn't even see it happen. Haven't heard anything since so I'd say he's probably grand

jmayo wrote: »

And the championship will be all the poorer for not having Mayo competing at the very top.

Ah come on now, not this again. Look at the standard of football in Mayo and look at the players on the fringes throughout this year, Oisin Mullins and Conroy from the U20's. Look back at the minor match versus Dublin this year. There is talent coming through all over the pitch. Then assume the worst, Clarke, Higgins, Moran, Seamie, Vaughan all retire. Is it really all the unrealistic to think that we could still make a Semi Final next year? Really? Maybe i'm being over optimistic, and if so fair enough. Even Then I refuse to believe that Super 8's is not achievable.

I think that's achievable, and i don't think that many are going to retire. The standard of football in the county has changed significantly and the pipeline seems to be there now with talent. Maybe not the same caliber as some of the current stock in their prime but who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah come on now, not this again. Look at the standard of football in Mayo and look at the players on the fringes throughout this year, Oisin Mullins and Conroy from the U20's. Look back at the minor match versus Dublin this year. There is talent coming through all over the pitch. Then assume the worst, Clarke, Higgins, Moran, Seamie, Vaughan all retire. Is it really all the unrealistic to think that we could still make a Semi Final next year? Really? Maybe i'm being over optimistic, and if so fair enough. Even Then I refuse to believe that Super 8's is not achievable.

I think that's achievable, and i don't think that many are going to retire. The standard of football in the county has changed significantly and the pipeline seems to be there now with talent. Maybe not the same caliber as some of the current stock in their prime but who knows.

The last line is the point.
    The attack can look a little rudderless without Moran and he was the difference I believe in 2017.
    When you hear the likes of Oisin McConville, a wily old attacker himself, comment about him and what he adds it says it all in my mind.

I sadly think Keegan 29 is a shadow of his former self, Boyle and Barrett are 32, Higgins is 34, Vaughan is 30.
    That is the heart of once very formidable defense and a huge attacking threat that needs to be replaced.
    Seamie O'Shea is 32 and Parsons who has had a miraculous recovery is 31.
    Moran is 35 and pivotal to attack.

I was surprised by Parsons and Vaughan's ages actually.

Note these were the ages on the Mayo GAA squad lifted from connachtgaa.ie website so by next years championship there will be another year onto them.

Yes there are some good lads coming up through the ranks, but as I said they have almighty shoes to fill and fairly fast.
    For instance not every one from minor level slots into senior as quickly as a Clifford and remember he is exceptional talent.
    And not everyone from u20/21 makes the grade either.

I do agree Mayo should be reaching Super 8s, but I think it could be as one of the bit players from now on.
    Hopefully only for a while anyway. :(

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

I think there's a good while in this Mayo side yet

Several things we have in spades are character, physicality and supreme fitness levels. These attributes alone go a long way in the modern game in a non-vintage era for the sport. Kerry are coming again and there's obviously Dublin but very little beyond that. Tyrone are seriously lacking a real marquee forward, Donegal have flattered to deceive for 2 years now, while Cork are still quite a bit off and will be playing Division 3 football in February. Galway are very hit and miss, and Roscommon have had a great season but clearly have a ceiling

Carr, and particularly Ruane look like great finds this year. I think Stephen Coen has improved quite a bit as well. I'd doubt Darren Coen will ever become a regular starter, but he wouldn't be bad to bring off the bench to get a score or two in a tight game

I'm not overly convinced by Horan in many aspects, but one thing he certainly does is get younger guys well up to the speed of inter county. Maybe guys like Akram, Colm Moran, Kuba Callaghan and so on might put their hands up in 2020

Watched back Saturday again. I really cannot understand how we didn't have more cuteness to stop the momentum in the early second half. Lie down a while, take a yellow card or two, just do anything FFS. Lacking that shrewdness has unfortunately cost us in the past and we have never seemed to learn from it. Bit disappointing we weren't a bit braver going forward in the first half either. We actually had them a bit rattled at the time, but 2 points up at HT was never going to be enough in a million years. I remember after conceding the early goal in 2017 it forced us to really take the game to them and it worked dividends that day (a game we unlucky enough not to win, mainly down to said shrewdness)

Anyhow roll on 2020. I don't see why we should fear anyone outside of Dublin, and sure we have a year to plan for them now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Great stuff!

Dublin Review.

https://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2019-08-11T11_15_34-07_00.mp3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Very true.

The talk of Mayo being finished, too old, too many miles etc. is totally exaggerated. Take our forward line for example.
    Assuming Andy decides to call it a day, we'd probably have the two O'Connors, McDonagh, Darren Coen, Doherty, James Carr next year.
    By my count that's an average age of less than 26 by start of next season. You could interchange a few others in there like McLoughlin, Loftus or Fergal Boland but it doesn't change the age profile much.

Similar at the back. If Clarke and Higgins bow out, you'll have young guys like O'Donoghue and Stephen Coen who are ready to come into that defence.
    And the keeper situation needs to be looked at anyway, regardless of what David decides to do. Both keepers on the panel have weaknesses which have been magnified and exploited in games against the top teams.

I must say that I think Stephen Coen really stepped up this year - I think he's been very good, especially the last few weeks.

There was a good while where I wasn't sure how he was still getting game time, but credit to him, he's starting to come good. I guess there's a reason he's captained nearly every team he's ever played on, usually winning trophies. Will be a good man to have around over the coming years - nothing flash but a good honest player.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Padkir wrote: »
    I must say that I think Stephen Coen really stepped up this year - I think he's been very good, especially the last few weeks.

There was a good while where I wasn't sure how he was still getting game time, but credit to him, he's starting to come good. I guess there's a reason he's captained nearly every team he's ever played on, usually winning trophies. Will be a good man to have around over the coming years - nothing flash but a good honest player.

Got to concur with the general consensus,he's been very good in the more critical recent weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

seligehgit wrote: »
    Got to concur with the general consensus,he's been very good in the more critical recent weeks.

He will be a leader in years to come imo
    Not many others from his vintage have broken through
    He wasn’t captain of 2 all Ireland teams for nothing

• Advertisement

km79 wrote: »
    He will be a leader in years to come imo
    Not many others from his vintage have broken through
    He wasn’t captain of 2 all Ireland teams for nothing

He captained a Sigerson winning team too as well as the minor and u21.

In fairness, we have got himself, Eoin O'D, Ruane,DOC, Conor L, Boland and James Carr now consistently making the match 26 if not starting. Aswell as Hall and Plunkett on the fringes. Not bad return from one u21 team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

He captained a Sigerson winning team too as well as the minor and u21.

In fairness, we have got himself, Eoin O'D, Ruane,DOC, Conor L, Boland and James Carr now consistently making the match 26 if not starting. Aswell as Hall and Plunkett on the fringes. Not bad return from one u21 team

Cain Hanley was on that minor team that Coen Captained.
    There are a few from that 2016 under 21 team that fell by the wayside. Fionan Duffy, Liam Irwin don’t feature much. David Kenny is playing only hurling I think. I always expected Eddie Doran from Achill and Matty Flanagan to likely feature, I think they’re playing juniors.

We’ve probably had more than we could realistically expect from that team already at this stage.

Blackjack wrote: »
    There are a few from that 2016 under 21 team that fell by the wayside. Fionan Duffy, Liam Irwin don’t feature much. David Kenny is playing only hurling I think. I always expected Eddie Doran from Achill and Matty Flanagan to likely feature, I think they’re playing juniors.

We’ve probably had more than we could realistically expect from that team already at this stage.

Worth mentioning Akram too, he’s been knocking about too. I always rated him very highly at minor and under 21, I really do hope he can build on the promise he showed at those levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Padkir wrote: »

Completely agree.

What's also very pleasing is his versatility. He was moving from half back to midfield, to (most recently) the full back line over past few months.
    With Higgins and Barrett approaching the end of their careers it was very pleasing to see him come in a do a very solid job there.

I'm still optimistic that with the likes of Stephen Coen, O'Donoghue, Ruane, McDonagh and Carr we're not looking too bad in the areas where retirements are most likely.
    Obviously the guys who'll go will be a big loss and Andy is one of those players that's incredibly hard to replace. But these are young lads and with another 2-3 years experience and development the potential for some of them to become very good intercounty players is there.

Worth mentioning Akram too, he’s been knocking about too. I always rated him very highly at minor and under 21, I really do hope he can build on the promise he showed at those levels.

Was involved in the development squad, not sure if he was still part of it this year. Likewise, I always thought he had potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Michael Hall is another one. He was on the 2013 minor and 2016 u21.

I thought it was mentioned here a good while ago that Akram was in the States for the summer?

Delighted Stephen Coen is growing into the senior team. An impressive athlete. I thought he got nosebleeds when he went passed midfield but he got a nice score Saturday too.

Michael Hall is another one. He was on the 2013 minor and 2016 u21.

I thought it was mentioned here a good while ago that Akram was in the States for the summer?

Delighted Stephen Coen is growing into the senior team. An impressive athlete. I thought he got nosebleeds when he went passed midfield but he got a nice score Saturday too.

Hall was indeed, I think he was one of the first bunch to get a senior call up, played in the league a few times in 2016 I think.
    Michael Forde from Ballycastle another lad that I expected would see more of, not sure what happened - could be just stuck in Juniors has kept him out.

Sharoize Akram spent the summer in the US alright, might be the thing that gives him the spur, regular game there won’t harm him.

Was involved in the development squad, not sure if he was still part of it this year. Likewise, I always thought he had potential.

I think he was in the dev panel for a while, might have decided a summer in the states was a better option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Has anyone got a breakdown of every Mayo match played this year, from FBD through to Saturday last. Was at all bar 2 or 3 but forget how many exactly there was!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Players may come in and players may call it a day. However, the most concerning thing from a Mayo point of view on Saturday was, with all that experience on the pitch (and on the line), they didn't seem to be able to enact a plan to get through Dublins purple patch, or a plan to kill the game for a couple of minutes once Dublin got the first goal. There must have been some kind of a plan in place, so, either

(i) it wasn't a great plan (couldn't be implemented either through bad design or the players not understanding it properly), or
    (ii) Dublin were just too good

Instead they missed a handy-ish free, dropped a couple of balls short, skied a few more, and then decided to try to run in goals. Everything I thought we had seen the back of 8 or 9 years ago....its worrying stuff when a battle hardened team loses the plot to that extent.

On the other hand, Dublin reminded me of nothing more than an NFL Team, the drill like precision of the premeditated plays, O'Callaghans wide-receiver like footwork to bamboozle Keegan...i'm reminded of the 'toughest trade' TV show a few years ago when Aiden O'Shea went to an NFL trial type thing in Cali and was some distance off the standard, and that retired NFL guy came to Breaffy and blew them away with his general athletic ability...

the phrase 'welcome to the NFL' was going through my mind after Saturday, nobody is going to touch Dublin until they decide they have had enough...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

lostcat wrote: »
    Players may come in and players may call it a day. However, the most concerning thing from a Mayo point of view on Saturday was, with all that experience on the pitch (and on the line), they didn't seem to be able to enact a plan to get through Dublins purple patch, or a plan to kill the game for a couple of minutes once Dublin got the first goal. There must have been some kind of a plan in place, so, either

(i) it wasn't a great plan (couldn't be implemented either through bad design or the players not understanding it properly), or
    (ii) Dublin were just too good

Instead they missed a handy-ish free, dropped a couple of balls short, skied a few more, and then decided to try to run in goals. Everything I thought we had seen the back of 8 or 9 years ago....its worrying stuff when a battle hardened team loses the plot to that extent.

On the other hand, Dublin reminded me of nothing more than an NFL Team, the drill like precision of the premeditated plays, O'Callaghans wide-receiver like footwork to bamboozle Keegan...i'm reminded of the 'toughest trade' TV show a few years ago when Aiden O'Shea went to an NFL trial type thing in Cali and was some distance off the standard, and that retired NFL guy came to Breaffy and blew them away with his general athletic ability...

the phrase 'welcome to the NFL' was going through my mind after Saturday, nobody is going to touch Dublin until they decide they have had enough...

Nothing NFL at all about it. A ball was dropped into the Dublin box which should have gone over the bar or into the back of the net but instead Cluxton managed to get it away and which Dublin capitalised upon. This was immediately followed on by Hennelly having one of his customary mis kicks which O Callaghan caught and laid off to Mannion who duly slotted it over the bar from just outside the 20, which was then immediately followed up by Hennelly, for some reason deciding to kick a ball out to a Mayo player who was being marked by 3 Dubs if I recall correctly and goal number 2 followed from that.

Hindsight is great but perhaps if Hennelly did stop for 30 to 40 secs after any of the above perhaps it may have been different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Hindsight eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Seadin

I honestly think Mayo missed their chances over the years of winning the All Ireland. 2013 2016 and 2017. Few decisions in the pitch in those games are the reason Dublin are going for 5 in a row. Mayo should have got over the line in one or 2 of those finals. I think the team isnt as good now so might take a while before they reach the highs of those years again. Really hope Mayo get over the line and win All Ireland in the coming years you have great supporters but not at the expense of Cork if we ever get there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

2013 - should have gone in at half time 8 - 10 point up, instead let in a soft goal to let Dublin back in. That 2013 side had not the ability to blitz like the current team IMHO

2016 - two own goals plus the touch on the ground missed at the death due to injured player which would have resulted in a handy free to go one up

2017 - missed free on 70 minutes to go one up, kicked the ball out over the sideline after rocks free when having a man extra, "Dublin" Joe was happy to plan on to give another chance to Mayo

Saw something today saying the IRA will have an All Ireland before Mayo, unfortunately it's probably true:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Nothing NFL at all about it. A ball was dropped into the Dublin box which should have gone over the bar or into the back of the net but instead Cluxton managed to get it away and which Dublin capitalised upon. This was immediately followed on by Hennelly having one of his customary mis kicks which O Callaghan caught and laid off to Mannion who duly slotted it over the bar from just outside the 20, which was then immediately followed up by Hennelly, for some reason deciding to kick a ball out to a Mayo player who was being marked by 3 Dubs if I recall correctly and goal number 2 followed from that.

Hindsight is great but perhaps if Hennelly did stop for 30 to 40 secs after any of the above perhaps it may have been different.

You have to add in the simple free missed by Cillian O'Connor at 1-11 to 0-8. Soon after the kick-out, he committed a stupid foul that got him his first yellow card on his way to a red. Kilkenny kicked the free to O'Callaghan who turned Keegan inside out for the goal. A four-point turnaround and a needless yellow card all down to one player not being mentally able to deal with the pressure on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

blanch152 wrote: »
    You have to add in the simple free missed by Cillian O'Connor at 1-11 to 0-8. Soon after the kick-out, he committed a stupid foul that got him his first yellow card on his way to a red. Kilkenny kicked the free to O'Callaghan who turned Keegan inside out for the goal. A four-point turnaround and a needless yellow card all down to one player not being mentally able to deal with the pressure on the day.

It's worth having a listen to the latest GAA Hour podcast if you can stomach it.

Parkinson does a pretty decent (imho) breakdown of the 12 mins Dublin scoring spree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

blanch152 wrote: »

Take a breather man. It's not our fault your auld mot fancies o'connor.
    Your team is financially doped up to the eyeballs and were 1-5 on to win the game. They won the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭MoyVilla9

Has anyone got a breakdown of every Mayo match played this year, from FBD through to Saturday last. Was at all bar 2 or 3 but forget how many exactly there was!

https://mayogaablog.com/?page_id=219

Try this. It doesn't have details on Meath, Donegal or Dublin, yet, but the information on the earlier games is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Rebelinho

Who would Mayo supporters prefer to lose the final?

Can't see Henry not been drafted in in the next few years. As a good a freetaker as i have seen for Mayo in the semi final a few days ago as well. Seems to have what a lot of our current forwards are missing.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1155128831897952256

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Rebelinho wrote: »

It's like choosing which testicle I want to be stabbed in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Rebelinho wrote: »

Garth Brooks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Over In Castlebar today and it's great to see the amount of people young and old still wearing their Mayo jerseys about the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Take a breather man. It's not our fault your auld mot fancies o'connor.
    Your team is financially doped up to the eyeballs and were 1-5 on to win the game. They won the game.

I know you are hurting so I will let it go, but there was absolutely nothing inaccurate in my post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Rebelinho

It's like choosing which testicle I want to be stabbed in.
    Garth Brooks

Haha!

The reason I'm asking is because my (Kerry) friend reckons Mayo would dislike Dublin much more than Kerry. I'm not sure it's that clearcut although going for 5 in a row might skew it a bit.

That's probably true. However, after the hidings they gave us in the past, it's hard to cheer for Kerry. And it would be tough to stomach somebody else finally beating Dublin. That's just me being petty though. A lot of Mayo people are probably entirely with Kerry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Can't see Henry not been drafted in in the next few years. As a good a freetaker as i have seen for Mayo in the semi final a few days ago as well. Seems to have what a lot of our current forwards are missing.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1155128831897952256

The problem I have with the new age system is that it's a long time for a good minor to become a good senior.

This kid is 16 or 17, top GAA players mature around 26 or 27

It's a full decade before we would ever see him at his prime in senior if he ever made it that far.

Young guys break into the squad at 22 or 23, even that give plenty of opportunities be for a good minor to drop off the radar.

That's probably true. However, after the hidings they gave us in the past, it's hard to cheer for Kerry. And it would be tough to stomach somebody else finally beating Dublin. That's just me being petty though. A lot of Mayo people are probably entirely with Kerry.

Can't shout for kerry, no way. too much hurt over the years, 1997, 04, 06, 2014 probably the worst of all and then Fitzmaurices comments about that game since. Completely agree with you, i want it to be us that beats Dublin. Up the Dubs!

My dad would probably support Kerry. He has a strange fondness for the county and doesn't really like Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Personally I don't think we are going to beat the dubs in the next year or two so would much prefer kerry to beat them rather than watching them win 7 or 8 in a row

• Advertisement

Personally I don't think we are going to beat the dubs in the next year or two so would much prefer kerry to beat them rather than watching them win 7 or 8 in a row

Sadly, you are right. It would certainly be better for the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

It might be better for the sport in the long run if the dubs win 7 or 8 in a row, then the GAA can't deny the problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

spakman wrote: »
    It might be better for the sport in the long run if the dubs win 7 or 8 in a row, then the GAA can't deny the problem.
    What problem?

Keano wrote: »
    What problem?

The advantages Dublin get. There is another thread for this now, where the issue has been beaten to death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

i want kerry to either win, or lose by more than 10. Such hidings, combined with lower attendances, will prompt reform in the allocation of resources to improve the overall skillsets

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement