Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

No rest for the wicked. Next round of the club SFC is on the weekend of the 24th/25th August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Can't make a call for either team. I'm just praying for a miracle that they all get the shlts before the game, and the 2019 championship is abandoned, leaving no winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Can't make a call for either team. I'm just praying for a miracle that they all get the shlts before the game, and the 2019 championship is abandoned, leaving no winner.

You won't find too many on this thread who will give one single **** about that game. Roll on February (January for the hardcore crazies).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

No rest for the wicked. Next round of the club SFC is on the weekend of the 24th/25th August.

I'm guessing Castlebar would be the firm favourites to win that outright?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I'm guessing Castlebar would be the firm favourites to win that outright?

Probably are favourites but they weren't in great form back in April. Lucky to get a draw against Ballina and were well beaten in a league game vs Breaffy. Away to Westport in the next round which could be a tricky one for them.

Knockmore have been the form team this year if you take league into account. However, they've only been missing McLoughlin over the summer while others have been without 4 or 5 players.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

Still would have tubber in the mix.
    Dillon, Gibbons, Plunkett & 2 X O'Connors gave a great spine to the team.
    Knockmore going well but as mentioned they have majority of players available for the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Paddy power says:
    Castlebar 6/4
    Ballintubber 7/2
    Breaffy 7/2
    Westport 10/1
    Ballaghdereen 10/1
    Knock more 14/1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

West Mayo are really dominating these days. Wben I was a kid it was north Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

West Mayo are really dominating these days. Wben I was a kid it was north Mayo.

Massive decline in Population in North Mayo. Take a look at Ballycastle, Crossmolina and Ballina compared to a number of years ago. Pubs and shops shuttered. Belmullet did ok for a while but looks to have declined a bit recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Blackjack wrote: »
    Massive decline in Population in North Mayo. Take a look at Ballycastle, Crossmolina and Ballina compared to a number of years ago. Pubs and shops shuttered. Belmullet did ok for a while but looks to have declined a bit recently.

Belmullet was due to the refinery work. Cross boomed at that time as well.

• Advertisement

Belmullet was due to the refinery work. Cross boomed at that time as well.

Yep. Crossmolina did ok while the refinery was being built but Belmullet certainly made the best of it, but that looks to be in decline that will be hard to arrest without some new manufacturing or other stable source of employment. Crossmolina has never really recovered since the closure of the peat lands and Bellacorrick station IMO.

Crossmolina, Ballina and Knockmore used to be three of the strongest clubs in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Crossmolina, Ballina and Knockmore used to be three of the strongest clubs in the county.

Country

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Country

Produced some great players. I was always a big fan of Nallen, Gardiner and McDonald from Crossmolina’s best era.

Brogan was probably one of the most talented from all 3 clubs (perhaps if we exclude McDonald who had an unnatural left boot). Best description I’ve heard of him and his difficulties was as an Angel that fell to earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

boosabum wrote: »
    Still would have tubber in the mix.
    Dillon, Gibbons, Plunkett & 2 X O'Connors gave a great spine to the team.
    Knockmore going well but as mentioned they have majority of players available for the league

I'd fancy Ballintubber to get over Knockmore tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Anybody think the standard of club football has slipped a tad in Mayo?

Maybe that's too harsh when one has Corofin hanging around in Connacht.

I definitely thought there was an element of fatigue in relation to the Mitchels last year.I'd fancy them quite strongly this year.

seligehgit wrote: »

I definitely thought there was an element of fatigue in relation to the Mitchels last year.I'd fancy them quite strongly this year.

Thought Mitchell’s went off the boil a little last year alright. I think there’s still a fair bit of competition at the top but some teams that would traditionally have been strong, Crossmolina and Ballina for instance have fallen back a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Thought Mitchell’s went off the boil a little last year alright. I think there’s still a fair bit of competition at the top but some teams that would traditionally have been strong, Crossmolina and Ballina for instance have fallen back a bit.
    Well Cross for sure. They're intermediate now.

Well Cross for sure. They're intermediate now.

Didn’t Ballina just narrowly avoid relegation last year though?. That would have been unthinkable not that long ago.

• Advertisement

Didn’t Ballina just narrowly avoid relegation last year though?. That would have been unthinkable not that long ago.

They finished 3rd in their group last year, ahead of Aghamore. I think Ballina are on the way up again, have a good young team at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Can anybody tell me please: did Enda Kenny play inter-county football with Mayo? I think he played under 21. Am I right? Thanks,

His father Henry won an All Ireland in 1936. I don't know about Enda though.

Senior championship fixtures

24th August 2019

Moy Davitts v Davitts 18.30

Ballina Stephenites v Aghamore 17.00

Westport v Castlebar Mitchels 18.00

Ballintubber v Knockmore 16.00

Charlestown Sarsfields v Ballaghaderreen 17.00

25th August 2019

Breaffy v Kiltane 15.00

Garrymore v Hollymount Carramore 13.00

Claremorris v Belmullet 15.00

Looking forward to hopefully getting to the clash of the fishheads and the covies.:D

Some tasty contests.

Ballintubber v Knockmore should be interesting.

Might pop out to Breaffy on Sunday.

Senior championship fixtures

24th August 2019

Moy Davitts v Davitts 18.30

Ballina Stephenites v Aghamore 17.00

Westport v Castlebar Mitchels 18.00

Ballintubber v Knockmore 16.00

Charlestown Sarsfields v Ballaghaderreen 17.00

25th August 2019

Breaffy v Kiltane 15.00

Garrymore v Hollymount Carramore 13.00

Claremorris v Belmullet 15.00

Looking forward to hopefully getting to the clash of the fishheads and the covies.:D

Some tasty contests.

Ballintubber v Knockmore should be interesting.

Might pop out to Breaffy on Sunday.

Hopefully will be at that one myself seligehgit. This time I will actually welcome a blue tsunami, in contrast to the most recent one I was an unfortunate witness to..........

Won't make the game on Sunday with a family commitments so if any of our Breaffy contingent ak Parlance want to give a resume it would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

I'm planning to attend Breaffy v Kiltane on Sunday. Will let ye know what I see!

A very interesting interview with Chris Barrett on the GAA Hour today. Worth a listen.

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    I'm planning to attend Breaffy v Kiltane on Sunday. Will let ye know what I see!

A very interesting interview with Chris Barrett on the GAA Hour today. Worth a listen.

Cheers for that.

Love the GAA Hour but have kind of tuned out post our exit.

Will give it a listen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

His father Henry won an All Ireland in 1936. I don't know about Enda though.

I was once told that he played in under 21 final in 1973 when Kerry beat Mayo. Martin Ferris was on the Kerry team.

Don't think that is true as Kenny would have been over age, but seems to be common belief he did play county 21 a few years before that.

(Selig - I managed to type that without once mentioning blueshirts ….therapy is working :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Yeah most recent county finals have been dire. Mitchells in fairness are a great side, but there's not much else.

B'tubber are ok, but they're carrying a fair few passengers for a county title winning side. Some of their decision making and execution in the big games last year was woeful

As you say there was probably a bit of fatigue with Mitchells and I'd fancy them to bounce back and win it this year. B'tubber always give them trouble though - styles make match ups and all that

Bonniedog wrote: »
    I was once told that he played in under 21 final in 1973 when Kerry beat Mayo. Martin Ferris was on the Kerry team.

Don't think that is true as Kenny would have been over age, but seems to be common belief he did play county 21 a few years before that.

(Selig - I managed to type that without once mentioning blueshirts ….therapy is working :-)

I was looking at the results for those years and I see Mayo beat Antrim in the final the following year. An odd match up. Mayo had quite a bit of success at minor and under 21 in the 1970s but the senior team was generally dire.

• Advertisement

Lest we forget it the ladies are in an All Ireland semi final on Sunday against our most traditional of rivals at 14.00.

It would be nice to make an All Ireland final although the winners of the other semi final would be formidable opposition.

The ladies are doing quite well considering the controversy of a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I was looking at the results for those years and I see Mayo beat Antrim in the final the following year. An odd match up. Mayo had quite a bit of success at minor and under 21 in the 1970s but the senior team was generally dire.

Ya, amazing to think we didnt win one Connacht title in the 70's :eek:

Roscommon once went 29 years without winning a Connacht title, which is a record amongst the counties that can't count their titles on one hand.

Is this also the reason that Ballina and Belmullet don't have hurling teams anymore?

Is this also the reason that Ballina and Belmullet don't have hurling teams anymore?

Don’t know that it is entirely, but it won’t have helped. It’s possibly due to competition from other sports too. Football would always be the preferred sport in both towns.

Castlebar Mitchels 0-14
    Westport 0-10

Mitchels laid the foundation for the win in the first half with Neil Douglas demonstrating how good a club player he is.Paddy as usual lead the charge.Mitchels were very strong defensively but Westport were particularly toothless up front.Alan Kennedy kicking a couple of frees.

A 7 point gap left Westport with a mountain to climb but they dominated the second half but were very wasteful. The probable turning point was a wonderful save by Ruairi Byrne preventing a certain goal.Oisin McLoughlin had his moments for Westport in the half forward line.

Westport have quite a bit to go challenge the Mitchels for the club title.

It will take a very good team to stop the Mitchels this year with a very strong bench.

In relation to Ballina the main reason is that the no one really wants to take it up again and drive it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Sad to see how far Crossmolina have fallen. Lost their first game in intermediate today to ardnaree

Ardnaree beating Crossmolina in a championship match, just sounds absolutely mental

Castlebar Mitchels 0-14
    Westport 0-10

Mitchels laid the foundation for the win in the first half with Neil Douglas demonstrating how good a club player he is.Paddy as usual lead the charge.Mitchels were very strong defensively but Westport were particularly toothless up front.Alan Kennedy kicking a couple of frees.

A 7 point gap left Westport with a mountain to climb but they dominated the second half but were very wasteful. The probable turning point was a wonderful save by Ruairi Byrne preventing a certain goal.Oisin McLoughlin had his moments for Westport in the half forward line.

Westport have quite a bit to go challenge the Mitchels for the club title.

It will take a very good team to stop the Mitchels this year with a very strong bench.

Castlebar were excellent in the 1st half. The 2 Durcans were prominent and Douglas outstanding. I think he got 6 points from play in the opening half? Westport were completely on top after the break however. They missed a site of chances that could have won them the game. Mitchels only got 3 points in the 2nd half and 1 of those was the last kick of the game.

I was at Ballintubber v Knockmore beforehand. Cillian, Diarmuid and Michael Plunkett were very good along with Stephen O'Malley and Bryan Walsh. Knockmore are a solid team and should still make the last 8 but are missing the star quality needed to go all the way.

I'd have Tubber ahead of Castlebar in terms of favourites for the county title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

jr86 wrote: »
    Sad to see how far Crossmolina have fallen. Lost their first game in intermediate today to ardnaree

Ardnaree beating Crossmolina in a championship match, just sounds absolutely mental
    Peadar Gardiner made an appearance too.
    What age is he now i wonder.

I was always a fan of his when he played, a very versatile player I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

sounds very much the same story as kilkee in clare , they had 3 lads playing today well in their 40s , they never reached the heights of crossmolina but reached 3 munster finals in the 2000s bringing An Gaeltacht in one final to a replay and beating them 2 years later in a munster semi final, and were the top club in clare for 25 years previous now on the verge of relegation to junior level

i imagine its the same story up there as here , young people moving away and not coming back , families moving to more urban areas to find work .i.e dublin galway ect.. ist borderline crisis point in some counties , offaly in hurling is a perfect example

Heartbreak for the ladies.

Great chance to level it up spurned at the death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Anyone watching the ladies game ?

30 seconds to go, Galway one up, a Mayo player gets poll axed close in, mref gives a free to Mayo
    But by the time the player got attention etc he then gives the free to Galway and they run out the clock.

Why did he change his mind ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

30 seconds to go, Galway one up, a Mayo player gets poll axed close in, mref gives a free to Mayo
    But by the time the player got attention etc he then gives the free to Galway and they run out the clock.

It was a double hop unfortunately. Tough on them they had enough chances in the second half to win comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Two hops before she was fouled.

The whole timing system in the ladies game is a joke. It's very easy to kill time if you have a lead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It was a double hop unfortunately. Tough on them they had enough chances in the second half to win comfortably.

Oh yeah, it's just that he initially indicated a free in rather than out that got me confused.

Not bad going regardless getting to SF and losing by a point after all the drama last year.

Honestly they threw that game away with all the wides and bad options taken Infront of goal.

• Advertisement

Anyone at the Breaffy Kiltane game today?

Scoreline would indicate it was pretty comfortable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement