Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

seligehgit wrote: »
    Anyone at the Breaffy Kiltane game today?

Scoreline would indicate it was pretty comfortable.

The 1st half was very competitive. Kiltane were doing well up front with Mikey Sweeney and Tommy Conroy. Their number 6 Tony Gaughan had come up field to kick them ahead before suffering a serious leg injury. Play was stopped for over 30 minutes while an ambulance came.

Breaffy pulled away after half time. The 2nd half reminded me of our troubles against Kerry and Dublin this summer. Kiltane just couldn't get their kickouts away. Aidan, Séamie and Mattie Ruane just cleaned up every ball which meant it was 1 way traffic. Liam Irwin got 6 points from play and 2 frees. I'm sure he'll be getting a call off JH in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    The 1st half was very competitive. Kiltane were doing well up front with Mikey Sweeney and Tommy Conroy. Their number 6 Tony Gaughan had come up field to kick them ahead before suffering a serious leg injury. Play was stopped for over 30 minutes while an ambulance came.

Breaffy pulled away after half time. The 2nd half reminded me of our troubles against Kerry and Dublin this summer. Kiltane just couldn't get their kickouts away. Aidan, Sie and Mattie Ruane just cleaned up every ball which meant it was 1 way traffic. Liam Irwin got 6 points from play and 2 frees. I'm sure he'll be getting a call off JH in the next few weeks.

Cheers for that RedDevil,unfortunately I couldn't make it.

Hopefully Liam Irwin can step up if he's presented with the opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Cheers for that RedDevil,unfortunately I couldn't make it.

Hopefully Liam Irwin can step up if he's presented with the opportunity.

Yeah he’s some talent, would love to see him back in a Mayo Jersey as long as he can commit himself to the sacrifices that need to be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭kala85

Oh yeah, it's just that he initially indicated a free in rather than out that got me confused.

Not bad going regardless getting to SF and losing by a point after all the drama last year.

Any video of this on YouTube or elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

kala85 wrote: »
    Any video of this on YouTube or elsewhere

Saw a video on Fcaebook of that incident but just cant find it now, but she definitely hopped twice before being fouled and it did look like ref had awarded a free in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Saw a video on Fcaebook of that incident but just cant find it now, but she definitely hopped twice before being fouled and it did look like ref had awarded a free in

Refs in both games were very fussy over the double hop and over carrying, even if it ended in player being clobbered!

Thought a throw ball might have been fair in last play, as she was definitely taken out of it.

Second Mayo goal has to be candidate for goal of the year in men or women.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Refs in both games were very fussy over the double hop and over carrying, even if it ended in player being clobbered!

Thought a throw ball might have been fair in last play, as she was definitely taken out of it.

Second Mayo goal has to be candidate for goal of the year in men or women.

Whatever about over carrying which is subjective to say the least, 2 hops is pretty blatant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Whatever about over carrying which is subjective to say the least, 2 hops is pretty blatant

let the refs still miss it in many games. one wonders what the linesman is looking out for.

irishgeo wrote: »
    let the refs still miss it in many games. one wonders what the linesman is looking out for.

Linesmen aren't allowed to call fouls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Over the top there by Leahy. I know the emotions can get the better of someone, but it was clearly a double hop. I could see in real time when watching it (on TV, not at the match). I had just presumed it was a free out anyway.
    He probably didn't, but so what if the ref was in communication with someone who can review an incident back. The right call was made in the end.
    Silly saying that they should have been entitled to extra-time.
    I think the ref denied Galway a goal when it looked like it was the Galway player who was fouled. But then penalised Grace Kelly for overcarrying when she was fouled.
    Anyway, bottom line is - Mayo played well. Coule have won it, but wasted so much.
    Niamh Kelly is some player. It was like she inspired to try to drag the team over the line. Some goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Over the top there by Leahy. I know the emotions can get the better of someone, but it was clearly a double hop. I could see in real time when watching it (on TV, not at the match). I had just presumed it was a free out anyway.
    He probably didn't, but so what if the ref was in communication with someone who can review an incident back. The right call was made in the end.
    Silly saying that they should have been entitled to extra-time.
    I think the ref denied Galway a goal when it looked like it was the Galway player who was fouled. But then penalised Grace Kelly for overcarrying when she was fouled.
    Anyway, bottom line is - Mayo played well. Coule have won it, but wasted so much.
    Niamh Kelly is some player. It was like she inspired to try to drag the team over the line. Some goal.

Yeah it’s an odd one alright. To be fair to him there could have been a free called prior to the double hop and it did look as if it was being called in Mayo’s favour. The TG4 commentators were puzzled as to how Galway were given the free out at first but then spotted the double hop on the replays and figured it was for that.

You can understand Leahy getting a bit annoyed but he might have been better off saying less than he did afterward.
    Too many wides really was what cost Mayo the game in reality.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We totally left that game behind. Shot selection was woeful, players holding onto the ball too long and the frees off the ground where no Mayo forward was inside in case it dropped short.

She MAY have been fouled before the 2nd hop, but she doubled hopped it and as I pointed out above we had ample chances to put that game well beyond Galway.

Good progress and not a Carnacon kid to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

yop wrote: »
    We totally left that game behind. Shot selection was woeful, players holding onto the ball too long and the frees off the ground where no Mayo forward was inside in case it dropped short.

She MAY have been fouled before the 2nd hop, but she doubled hopped it and as I pointed out above we had ample chances to put that game well beyond Galway.

Good progress and not a Carnacon kid to be seen.

With the Mayo ladies being very unfortunate not to make the final, is it not past time that Carnacon recognised they are hurting nobody other than themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

They might be fortunate they didn't make the final. Dublin will ate Galway without salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

charlie14 wrote: »
    With the Mayo ladies being very unfortunate not to make the final, is it not past time that Carnacon recognised they are hurting nobody other than themselves.

Nothing to do with Carnacon now, its not fair to the panel and players that put in the effort this year to say that they would have done any better with Carnacon players there. IMO i don't think they would have done any better anyway. All in all a good year considering how it all finished up last year.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

charlie14 wrote: »

They've been brilliant without them. We have seen new stars step up. The Carnacon girls I am sure are welcome back, but on the managers terms.

As said, that episode is over now.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I think one of the problems with the Carnacon players was they weren't always available and it was hard to plan around them. Something similar to the Corofin situation with mens Galway football.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 FutbolCian

Andy has called it a day. Fantastic servant

What an absolute pleasure it has been to watch Andy Moran.
    Always lead from the front.
    Will miss his intelligent play and clever runs.

Owes us nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Not unexpected, but a sad day nonetheless. A leader on and off the pitch and a true Mayo great. Could often give a masterclass in forward play. Would love to see him get involved in management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Gave everything to the shirt.

Many thanks to a fantastic footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Hopefully hell be kept on as a forwards coach. Strange, that no one else learned his skills from playing with him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

FutbolCian wrote: »
    Andy has called it a day. Fantastic servant

At least he retired with national title won last April, small consolation for not winning the senior AI i know.

Mayo's best scoring forward from play the last number of years. Probably the smartest player they had in how he could create space to shoot or produce opportunities for others and of course he was a big leader. Big boots to fill, players like him doesn't come along very often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

A sad day
    Few more might follow

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Looptheloop30

Some man to go sliding to ground for a low ball.
    Anybody in the country who can't acknowledge his ability isn't worth paying heed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Sad sad day.What a truly wonderful servant of the green and red.

He epitomised everything that we considered great about this band of brothers.

He wore his love of Mayo on his sleeve.

By crikey it really rubbed up Roscommon folk the wrong way considering the Ballagh connection.

A Mayo legend. 16 years of intercounty football is some going. Crazy to think he was wing back once upon a time. His intelligent movement is an example to any young forward.

What are the chances of him becoming a coach for the U20s next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Some man to go sliding to ground for a low ball.
    Anybody in the country who can't acknowledge his ability isn't worth paying heed too.

There is a great turn of phrase used in football when talking about forwards.
    Some are described as having the ability to "win their own ball"

If anyone could "win their own ball" it was Andy Moran.

His goal v Kerry in 2017 replay was brilliant.
    Great pass from Loftus, and Enright sprawled on the ground as Moran won the ball. A classic image for Mayo fans.

And of course he was the guy who started the revival in 2006 SF, and saved Mayo's ass in London in 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

So pleased he was around to win the National League title this year.

Of course it's the not the big one, but it was still fantastic to see him at Croker on a day Mayo lifted a cup.

The longevity of his career is all the more remarkable when you consider some of the injury setbacks he had.
    A broken ankle in 2011. Followed by that awful cruciate injury against Down in 2012.
    To come back from those an even better player - and win player of the year at the veteran age of almost 34 is really something.

A true Mayo legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Carol25

Andy Moran was a fantastic servant to the Green and Red, he had so much talent as a forward, and seemed like such a gentleman as well. The very best of luck to him in the future, I’m sure it’s bright. Delighted he won the League title in April to finish his last year with Mayo with some silverware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

Squatman wrote: »
    Hopefully hell be kept on as a forwards coach. Strange, that no one else learned his skills from playing with him

Learning skills is one thing, executing them is another. This guy was truly a talent to behold genuinely wish him all the best going forward, his experience and vast knowledge of the game will surely be sourced in future coaching capacities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Sad sad day.What a truly wonderful servant of the green and red.

He epitomised everything that we considered great about this band of brothers.

He wore his love of Mayo on his sleeve.

By crikey it really rubbed up Roscommon folk the wrong way considering the Ballagh connection.

Look at any of today's stories on Andy and you'll how much it still bothers them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Best of luck to andy Moran.a warrior of the game.hope he enjoys his retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

muddle84 wrote: »
    Nothing to do with Carnacon now, its not fair to the panel and players that put in the effort this year to say that they would have done any better with Carnacon players there. IMO i don't think they would have done any better anyway. All in all a good year considering how it all finished up last year.

I wasn`t saying I believed they would have done any better with Carnacon players.
    I may have missed it, but far as I know Carnacon haven`t revoked their withdrawal of players from the ladies county senior team. If I am correct, my point was that with the present team being very unlucky not to make the final, then the only ones that Carnacon are hurting are their own club players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Legend!

Learning skills is one thing, executing them is another. This guy was truly a talent to behold genuinely wish him all the best going forward, his experience and vast knowledge of the game will surely be sourced in future coaching capacities.
    Class can't always be taught I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Fare thee well Andy Moran.

Great player.

Great Gael.

Great Roscom Mayo man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

He really was something special when you considering his age with those runs and dinky movements to get through defenders. His attitude was really special as well and I think this adds so much to him as a player and a person.

it did take him a while to mature into a real top class forward so players mature at different levels. The lose of Andy in 2012 was a serious blow and I do believe he would have been the difference as he was playing really well that year.

He will be back without question but in a different guise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

He really was something special when you considering his age with those runs and dinky movements to get through defenders. His attitude was really special as well and I think this adds so much to him as a player and a person.

it did take him a while to mature into a real top class forward so players mature at different levels. The lose of Andy in 2012 was a serious blow and I do believe he would have been the difference as he was playing really well that year.

He will be back without question but in a different guise.

Yeah 2011 was his real 'breakthrough' year in many ways, at 27. I remember him causing the Cork and kerry defences serious problems. Its a pity he did the cruciate - not only for the 2012 final - but it also took a few years, understandably, to get back to his 2011/12 level.

A serious operator at his best. Alway great for a goal and a serious ball winner. We'll unfortunately be worse off without hm, but he always had to go eventually. I'm sure he'll still tear it up for Ballagh in the coming years

• Advertisement

jr86 wrote: »
    Yeah 2011 was his real 'breakthrough' year in many ways, at 27. I remember him causing the Cork and kerry defences serious problems. Its a pity he did the cruciate - not only for the 2012 final - but it also took a few years, understandably, to get back to his 2011/12 level.

A serious operator at his best. Alway great for a goal and a serious ball winner. We'll unfortunately be worse off without hm, but he always had to go eventually. I'm sure he'll still tear it up for Ballagh in the coming years

A potential positive is that Horan doesn't have Moran as a safety net in a tough game. He has to go full on with the new lads so it's opening up their opportunity even more. They have to develop now.......maybe develop with a new forwards coach????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

When will the last round of senior club championship group games take place? Are these at neutral venues?

cocoman wrote: »
    When will the last round of senior club championship group games take place? Are these at neutral venues?

The 7th/8th September and yes, at neutral venues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

muddle84 wrote: »
    A potential positive is that Horan doesn't have Moran as a safety net in a tough game. He has to go full on with the new lads so it's opening up their opportunity even more. They have to develop now.......maybe develop with a new forwards coach????

This is true but Horan was starting to do this anyway. We need new blood defensively as well and to find someone new for the middle as well would be ideal.These new guys need to move up a notch as well.

This is one of Rochford's failures imo in that he didn't push enough on new players during his stent and became Horan's main focus on his return.
    It is not easy though to replace some of these players who have been outstanding over the last number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Where do you start trying to summarise Andy's career for Mayo. The jersey meant so much to him. Apparently he was in tears after the beating we took at the hands of Longford in 2010 but Andy went again.

The next year he ran the show against Cork, when we beat them against all odds in the Quarter Final. That was the game when Mayo announced they were back and were not goint to be bullied anymore.

He done his cruciate the following year against Down and who knows what would have happened if he was fit for the final against Donegal but he came back stronger than ever the next year. That cameo against Galway in Salthill the following year when he returned and came on as a sub, only to grab a goal and add to Galway's humilaiton. He led from the front as well that season, grabbing a goal in the final against Dublin.

He completely changed the game for us the following year against Roscommon when the Rossie's had their tails up against us in the Hyde. Andy came on as a sub and completely calmed us down. He was telling all of our lads just to cool down and play our game. He went on to kick two crucial scores and got us over the line that day.

I could go on. Time and time again he bailed us out. You only have to look at the Meath game this year to see what impact he brought. I've never seen a Mayo corner forward being able to win that much ball on his own and have the intelligence to use it properly. Not only will his character and personality be missed but we will miss him at 35 year's old from a footballing prespective. I honestly believe he could have gone another year, apparently he looked very sharp at the weekend. But nobody can begrudge him his retirement.

It was an absolute pleasure to watch him down the year's and he summed up what this Mayo team was all about the last decade. Good luck to you Andy, a gentleman and a legend. There's no All-Ireland medal but there's memories there that we won't ever forget.

000b0b00-642.jpg

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

He's going to be very hard to replace, and probably irreplaceable. He had it all, vision, ability to score goals and points, two footed, unselfish, and towards the end of his career was always looking for someone better placed. His ability to think calmly and switch play across the field when needed was a joy to watch.

One of the all time Mayo greats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

who knows what would have happened if he was fit for the final against Donegal

You'd have lost.

(Fine player all the same and a warrior).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

You'd have lost.

Yeah the FF line actually did ok that day on what was very limited supply

We were well second best that day. While we lost 3 finals to arguably the greatest team ever, this one was probably - ironically - the only final we can't really have any complaints in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

You'd have lost.

I always felt Mortimor was a loss too for us that day. Comparing his character to Andy is night and day, Conor walked away.

The early goals killed us that day anyhow, despite a good fightback. I never begrugded Donegeal winning that day FWIW.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Is anybody else actually really gutted about this? Can't help but feel so sad. This team has been referenced as past its peak since 2015, despite continuing to go deep in the All-Ireland series in 2016/2017 & 2019. They always proved the doubters wrong. Even this year when written off they still soldiered to the semi final before succumbing to the massive force that is Dublin GAA.

And now the start of the retirements. The first real acknowledgement that it was not meant to be. Despite giving us the greatest days of our lives since 2011 the day we all feared has arrived. In a way I am glad Andy has stepped away. Some of the criticism he received this year after games like Roscommon was way over the top. It's only just dawned on me now that he will need to be replaced, which is essentially impossible. His contribution V Meath in the second half case in point. We would not have won that game without him on the pitch. And that is what the future holds. We do not have a ready made replacement waiting in the wings to step up to be the main ball winner & score getter in the team. Andy is an example to everybody and it was a privilege have him represent the Green and Red

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement