Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Is anybody else actually really gutted about this? Can't help but feel so sad. This team has been referenced as past its peak since 2015, despite continuing to go deep in the All-Ireland series in 2016/2017 & 2019. They always proved the doubters wrong. Even this year when written off they still soldiered to the semi final before succumbing to the massive force that is Dublin GAA.

And now the start of the retirements. The first real acknowledgement that it was not meant to be. Despite giving us the greatest days of our lives since 2011 the day we all feared has arrived. In a way I am glad Andy has stepped away. Some of the criticism he received this year after games like Roscommon was way over the top. It's only just dawned on me now that he will need to be replaced, which is essentially impossible. His contribution V Meath in the second half case in point. We would not have won that game without him on the pitch. And that is what the future holds. We do not have a ready made replacement waiting in the wings to step up to be the main ball winner & score getter in the team. Andy is an example to everybody and it was a privilege have him represent the Green and Red

That’s a very downbeat assessment.
    I don’t think it’s all that bad in reality. There are players coming through and while there will be no like for like replacement (at least not that I can see from the current senior, under 20 or minor panels) there is now a place for one of the newer panelists to step up.
    Andy was always going to have to retire at some point, I’m glad for him that it was by his choice and not enforced like it very nearly was against Down in 2012.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Scannail on rte1 now exploring the 96 Mayo Meath final☺☺☺

• Registered Users Posts: 15,214 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

All supporters of county teams and their defenders other than Mayo will sleep easier in future knowing Andy Moran will not be around to torture them.
    Like a very select few of other greats sad to see him leave the big stage without that elusive AI senior medal, but a national league medal and a player of the year award from your peers plus all his other awards are nothing to be sneezed at.
    Hopefully for the sake of Mayo football he can be persuaded to stay on as a forwards coach imparting some of his knowledge and skills in that area. That said, while certain skills can be coached, true skill, vision, movement and the ball winning ability of the greats are more DNA than coaching.
    He certainly left his mark on the GAA world and will be long remembered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Fann Linn wrote: »

Switched it on as the ball bounced over... changed channel.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Is anybody else actually really gutted about this? Can't help but feel so sad. This team has been referenced as past its peak since 2015, despite continuing to go deep in the All-Ireland series in 2016/2017 & 2019. They always proved the doubters wrong. Even this year when written off they still soldiered to the semi final before succumbing to the massive force that is Dublin GAA.

And now the start of the retirements. The first real acknowledgement that it was not meant to be. Despite giving us the greatest days of our lives since 2011 the day we all feared has arrived. In a way I am glad Andy has stepped away. Some of the criticism he received this year after games like Roscommon was way over the top. It's only just dawned on me now that he will need to be replaced, which is essentially impossible. His contribution V Meath in the second half case in point. We would not have won that game without him on the pitch. And that is what the future holds. We do not have a ready made replacement waiting in the wings to step up to be the main ball winner & score getter in the team. Andy is an example to everybody and it was a privilege have him represent the Green and Red

I think I felt this last year, the physicality of the game has jumped forward again since say 2015 and Dublin's continual drive and growth moved them further away from us.
    Our lads have miles both physically and mentally that it eventually has to take it's toll regardless of age.
    I think last year and this has just confirmed it.
    Even for the few who give it another year in their heart of hearts I think they know Dublin won't fade away for another few years and that's no disregard for any of the rest.

For me personally the two main stay men who I've carried to the games and sat with almost without a break since early 2000 are both now becoming unable to travel. To think they will now now experience the holy Grail hurts.
    Andy has been that little bit of hope and I do think it will cause a chunk of others to assess and retire now or next year.

For anyone to call these lads bottlers they don't understand a single bit of how difficult it must have been to step up year after year and been single points off that win.

As someone said on radio, this mayo team has been the best mayo people have seen since the 50s, outside of that aside from not picking up the cross one of the most consistent teams in the last 3 decades.

We can only look forward, but reality has began to strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Fann Linn wrote: »

What happened the day after? Were Meath refused entry to Croke Pk? I missed the bit where they said the reason for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

The interview with Andy on Second Captains is excellent. Sounds like he's ready for a coaching role straight away!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

What happened the day after? Were Meath refused entry to Croke Pk? I missed the bit where they said the reason for it.

The manager and captain didn't have the tickets with them to gain entry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Is it possible to listen to Second Captains without a sub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Is it possible to listen to Second Captains without a sub?

They have free podcasts released on a Monday (a soccer only one and a general sports one) but everything else in subscription based.

They occasionally release some of the other content for free but it's quite rare tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

A fairly random question but this seems to be the only logical place to ask it....

Despite technically being from Limerick, after some mild brainwashing and a magical summer of following Mayo, my young fella has asked for a Mayo jersey for his birthday in October :pac::pac::pac:

My question is when will the jersey for next season be confirmed???

cheers cm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Cartman78 wrote: »
    A fairly random question but this seems to be the only logical place to ask it....

Despite technically being from Limerick, after some mild brainwashing and a magical summer of following Mayo, my young fella has asked for a Mayo jersey for his birthday in October :pac::pac::pac:

My question is when will the jersey for next season be confirmed???

cheers cm

A new jersey is brought out every 3 years. The current one only came out this year, so it'll be 2 years until the next one.

A new jersey is brought out every 3 years. The current one only came out this year, so it'll be 2 years until the next one.

Just be aware that the Elverys sponsorship deal may be due to end this year and with a new commercial manger in place then this could see a new sponsor name on the Jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭jj72

Really? 3 years doesn't sound right

PARlance wrote: »
    Switched it on as the ball bounced over... changed channel.

Saw the ad, changed the channel before it even started! Despite all the finals since, this for me is always the one that hurts the most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I think the last 3 jerseys have been every 2 years. The one that first came out in 2012 was used FITB 13 and 14.
    The one with the checked pattern on the shoulders (my least favorite if I’m honest) was used in 15 and 16, same as the black and lime green away Jersey.
    The one with the narrow and higher red band was for 17 and 18, same as the black and red away Jersey (one of the nicest).
    The current “retro” styled one came out before Christmas last year and the blue away Jersey released in Feb or March (I think). There was also the special edition for the NY game.

Seems to be every 2 years for the last while.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Anyone else hearing we have a new Mayo gaa scandal on the way?
    Funding from a Mayo gaa foundation and Mayo gaa.

Will be interesting to see what break's next week

yop wrote: »
    Anyone else hearing we have a new Mayo gaa scandal on the way?
    Funding from a Mayo gaa foundation and Mayo gaa.

Will be interesting to see what break's next week

Was some tweets about it yesterday which seem to have been deleted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ah yes, September is scandal season in Mayo GAA

boosabum wrote: »
    Was some tweets about it yesterday which seem to have been deleted

I saw a few different tweets.
    Hearing a resignation from the county board.

We're worse than EastEnders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

Seems one of the issues was that the foundation were refused their request for ten all Ireland tickets but other issues. Apparently the blog is getting the full disclosure and will post in due course! I think that foundation is only running a year?

Hopefully this is the sort of horse **** the commercial manager will eliminate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What foundation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Tweets from who? wtf is this all about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Full interview with Andy Moran on Midwest now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Full interview with Andy Moran on Midwest now

Any link my friend?:)

Nice interview on OTB with Nathan Murphy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

seligehgit wrote:
    Any link my friend?

Sorry its a bit tricky on the phone.. easy enough to find though on Midwest web page, Sunday Sports Show 2-3pm listen back

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

muddle84 wrote: »
    Are they anything to the Hole in the Wall Gang or the Wild Bunch ?;)

blinding wrote: »
    Are they anything to the Hole in the Wall Gang or the Wild Bunch ?;)

There bank balance would make you wonder!!!

maybe they'll get ten tickets for the replay and hand over the money they raised on behalf of mayo gaa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

boosabum wrote: »
    maybe they'll get ten tickets for the replay and hand over the money they raised on behalf of mayo gaa

Id say this is about more than 10 tickets somehow

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Sorry its a bit tricky on the phone.. easy enough to find though on Midwest web page, Sunday Sports Show 2-3pm listen back

Here's the link to that interview.

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-962236350/andymoran

Moy Davitts 0-8 Breaffy 1-17
    Kiltane 2-8 Davitts 3-14

Ballina Stephenites 1-14 Westport 0-11
    Castlebar Mitchels 0-11 Aghamore 0-9

Garrymore 2-12 Ballintubber 1-12
    Knockmore 2-14 Hollymount Carramore 2-9

Great win for the Stephenites in what was an enjoyable contest,Mayo football needs a strong Stephenites outfit.

Defensively very strong.Clarke imperious in goal and sweeped very well.Padraig O Hora impressed at half time.Frank Irwin dominated the middle third.Sean Durkan,Keith Tighe and Conor McStay excelled.Evan Regan had a very good day with the placed balls.

Westport will be disappointed but were physically bossed and seriously lacking up front.Pat Lambert and Oisin McLoughlin showed all too occasional glimpses of what they're capable of.

Fionn and Lee were amongst their better performers.It's hard to see where they're going to push on.

Davitts came out well on top in a very one sided and ultimately disappointing contest against a poor Kiltane outfit.

Surprise win for Garrymore against Ballintubber.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

A lot of talk about Westport last year with plenty saying they'd win a county title in next 2/3 years . Well 1 year on and they're closer to relegation than the title! Too much giddiness I think!

When push comes to shove castlebar, Tubber and breaffy will be the big 3 for the foreseeable with knockmore always knocking on the door. Ballina given their tradition will always come and go. They might give it a rattle this year!

Hoping Ciaran Treacy is given ample game time next year,a talented footballer.

jr86 wrote: »
    A lot of talk about Westport last year with plenty saying they'd win a county title in next 2/3 years . Well 1 year on and they're closer to relegation than the title! Too much giddiness I think!

When push comes to shove castlebar, Tubber and breaffy will be the big 3 for the foreseeable with knockmore always knocking on the door. Ballina given their tradition will always come and go. They might give it a rattle this year!

Don't forget who their manager was when that talk about them was going on..........Is it a case of the management not being up to the task as opposed to the players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

One of the jfc quarter finals postponed due to a appeal by achill over a black card not being punished with a red card. After the offending player was yellow carded in the 1st half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

irishgeo wrote: »
    One of the jfc quarter finals postponed due to a appeal by achill over a black card not being punished with a red card. After the offending player was yellow carded in the 1st half.

I think there was two red card instances at the one time and he gave one a black when he was already on a yellow and allowed a sub to be brought on

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Lukekul

Ger Caff has packed it in

• Advertisement

Darren Coen was absolutely outstanding at the weekend, he scored 1-5 in the first 15 minutes of the second half, one a free from outside the 50. He took one bounce of the ball in that time, no exaggeration, literally one bounce, everything else was turn and shoot on sight, goal was unreal.

Knockmore looked like they were going to blow them away in the first 10 minutes, then went to sleep for 30 and won handy enough in the end. Orme who was on the u-20s was good in patches. Tom Clarke’s best play coincided with Knockmores best play. Stephen Coen kept Darren McHale quiet although he got a great point once he moved into FF and away from Coen.

Ah Ref had his “power rankings” as Castlebar, Tubber, Breaffy and Ballina. Don’t see it that way myself.
    Castlebar have been poor, 3rd best at most IMO. Probably biased but I’d have Knockmore 4th. Hard to tell between Breaffy and Tubber, probably BallinTubber based on experience and know how.

Ballaghaderreen are the pick draw from the group winners, they could be taken by any of the second placed teams they’ll face

Fair play to Davitts, nearly relegated the last couple of years, gave Kiltane a good trimming

Lukekul wrote: »
    Ger Caff has packed it in

Great servant, got way more abuse than he deserved, no account taken that he was left 1-on-1 all the time against top class full forwards all the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Green&Red wrote: »
    Great servant, got way more abuse than he deserved, no account taken that he was left 1-on-1 all the time against top class full forwards all the time

Isn't that what a full back job is

naughto wrote: »
    Isn't that what a full back job is

Not really in modern football. You never really see a full back being isolated like caff was, there’s always a sweeper to protect them

The game against Cavan in the league earlier this year showed how good Ger was at his peak. Hopefully he'll get over the injury problems and have a good run with the Stephenites over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

He'd a great game that night and got a good reception from the supporters.

All the best to him.

• Advertisement

Senior championship quarter final draw

Ballintubber v Belmullet
    Castlebar Mitchels v Knockmore
    Breaffy v Ballina Stephenites
    Ballaghaderren v Davitts.

Relegation Draw:
    Claremorris v Hollymount Carramore
    Westport v Moy Davitts. Dates,venues and times to be confirmed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

seligehgit wrote: »
    Senior championship quarter final draw

Ballintubber v Belmullet
    Castlebar Mitchels v Knockmore
    Breaffy v Ballina Stephenites
    Ballaghaderren v Davitts.

Relegation Draw:
    Claremorris v Hollymount Carramore
    Westport v Moy Davitts. Dates,venues and times to be confirmed

Breaffy and Ballina pick of the quarters there. very interesting. Knockmore will make C'bar work for it though

Would have been a bit of craic if Westport and Claremorris got each other in relegation. Both should win those with little enough fuss

jr86 wrote: »
    Breaffy and Ballina pick of the quarters there. very interesting. Knockmore will make C'bar work for it though

Would have been a bit of craic if Westport and Claremorris got each other in relegation. Both should win those with little enough fuss

I think Holly/Carra will beat Claremorris. They're a much stronger side when the 2 Coens are around. Claremorris have been poor this year.

They'll still escape relegation however. Moy Davitts look the weakest by far.

Seems fair that we play Castlebar in McHale Park!
    What’s changed between now and two years ago?

Dempsey should refuse to send out a team ala Kildare

Green&Red wrote: »
    Seems fair that we play Castlebar in McHale Park!
    What’s changed between now and two years ago?

Dempsey should refuse to send out a team ala Kildare

Green and Red.

Plus ca change.

There'll likely be two double headers in Mac Hale Park as has been customary for the quarter finals in recent years.

I'll be relying on Mayo GAA TV as I'll be out of the country.:(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement