Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Didn't Mullins start one of the games this year? Think it might have been Armagh

No. He was brought in after the U-20. He made the bench for the Meath game. Conroy was brought in after that and interestingly enough despite not been named in the 26 was togged and took part in the warm-up v Donegal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

No. He was brought in after the U-20. He made the bench for the Meath game. Conroy was brought in after that and interestingly enough despite not been named in the 26 was togged and took part in the warm-up v Donegal

Thanks, I was thinking of Murray

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Not around this weekend so I'll hopefully catch up on tomorrow's fare on Mayo GAA TV.

Hoping one of our regulars can throw up a few match reports with news of some promising new players and and still up for it stalwarts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

anyone got a final score on the Ballintubber game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

anyone got a final score on the Ballintubber game?

1-12 to 1-9 to Tubber.
    Cillian scored 1-6 for Tubber, Ryan o’Donoghue And Gary Boylan getting 1:01 and 0:04 respectively

• Advertisement

Breaffy-Ballina gone to extra time

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

Tried to watch it on the Mayo GAA TV but they’re charging €5 to watch now.

When did that start?

Ballina win by 5 points, bit of a surprise I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

That's some result for Ballina.

Breaffy would have been favourites but saw enough in the Stephenites game against Westport to indicate they'd give Breaffy a serious challenge.

Ballagh won handy enough against Davitts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Time to throw more money at another management set up for Breaffy! Same as previous years, no cohesion or style of play when it comes to the business end of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Think the point made by Reape about returning county players upsetting the setup/rhythm of the Breaffy team could be on the money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

redbuck wrote: »

When did that start?

They generally charge. The games two weeks ago were like a free taster to draw you in. I paid to stream games previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Bit of a surprise i'd say alright. The other day i checked the odds for Connacht senior outright and Breaffy were 3rd in the odds behind Castlebar and Corofin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Breaffy were clueless, Ballina let them off the hook in normal time

O’Sheas anonymous bar Conor who continuously makes the wrong decision
    Hennelly with another clanger

Some good players on display Swanny O’Hora MOTM for Ballina buyback irwin played well at midfield as did Doherty at 6
    Fadden looks a serious player for Breaffy

Ballagh v Davitts was awful poor, Andy aside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Green&Red wrote: »
    Breaffy were clueless, Ballina let them off the hook in normal time

O’Sheas anonymous bar Conor who continuously makes the wrong decision
    Hennelly with another clanger

Some good players on display Swanny O’Hora MOTM for Ballina buyback irwin played well at midfield as did Doherty at 6
    Fadden looks a serious player for Breaffy

Ballagh v Davitts was awful poor, Andy aside

Shairoze Akram not standing out at this level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,264 ✭✭✭✭km79

Shairoze Akram not standing out at this level?

I dont think it is going to happen for him
    The years are drifting by and he is not getting any bigger......

IMO he’s a great athlete but lacks what’s needed to be a top class footballer. A bit like Cian Hanley

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Didn't see the game today but Akram doesn't lack size or speed. It's ball work he needs. He's still only 22 so I wouldn't write him off completely yet.

Ballina fully deserved their win. Treacy hit a few monster scores in the 2nd half and Leonard in extra time. Conor McStay was very lively, reminds me of Ian Burke.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

redbuck wrote: »

When did that start?

They generally charge. The games two weeks ago were like a free taster to draw you in. I paid to stream games previously.
    Ah right I just stumbled upon it on the free week so!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Think the point made by Reape about returning county players upsetting the setup/rhythm of the Breaffy team could be on the money

That's a fair point but it's a point that has been around for years and years now. When you have county players coming back into key positions then it's going to disrupt things. Not having done something about it in all these years is the thing I would be questioning big time from management.

• Advertisement

PARlance wrote: »
    That's a fair point but it's a point that has been around for years and years now. When you have county players coming back into key positions then it's going to disrupt things. Not having done something about it in all these years is the thing I would be questioning big time from management.

Ballymun in Dublin have a similar problem. They've 6 county players with multiple all stars but always flatter to deceive at club level. It's not an easy solution for the club manager, the players have to come straight back into the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Would fancy Ballintubber against that Ballina team tbh. Ballina should have put Breaffy away comfortably enough in normal time. Think Ballintubber will have too much for them.

Claremorris on the way to keeping their Senior status intact for another year. 3-9 to 0-7 ahead v Hollymount-Carramore in the 2nd half of the relegation playoff. Similar with Westport. 10 pts up at HT v Moy Davitts in the other game.

SFC relegation playoff results: Westport 3-16 Moy Davitts 0-3. Claremorris 4-14 Hollymount-Carramore 0-8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Jeez two absolute thrashings in relegation. They should nearly just put both BMD and Hollymount out of their misery :pac:

Another year, another what could have been for Breaffy. Time is seriously running out to win something with this golden generation of sorts

Knockmore three points up at half time:eek:

Interesting!

I still think Mitchell's are the only team who might rattle corofin a bit if they win Galway though

5 points up now!

Cbar in right bother now.

• Advertisement

Awful soft goal to give away, came just after we had a good goal chance ourselves
    No change up on the kick outs killed us
    Very disappointing

Wouldn’t agree at all, Ballina had Clarke, Caff, Murray, Treacy and Regan on the county panel. Easy excuse for Breaffy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

Was a very entertaining game between Mitchels and Knockmore. A soft goal made the difference in the end and Knockmore can probably have a few regrets.
    I'm not convinced Mitchels will win the thing out, thought they looked dodgy enough at times during that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

What's the draw for the SF's?
    When will they be played?

cocoman wrote: »
    What's the draw for the SF's?
    When will they be played?

Ballintubber v Ballina
    Ballagh v Castlebar

Played in 2 weeks time I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Crossmolina remain in intermediate for another year. Burrishoole snatch victory at the death with a late goal.

Semi fixtures:
    Burrish V Ballyhaunis
    The Neale V Louisburgh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 thenumber3

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/millionaire-withholds-250000-from-mayo-county-board-38536084.html

Appears to be a case of "we'll happily take your money but we're not going to justify how we'll spend it".

Talk about making a balls of a beneficial relationship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

It's hard to blame the foundation if that is the case. Examiner has the same story:

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/mayo-supporter-group-issue-email-over-board-spat-953102.html?__twitter_impression=true

Pretty damning view of how the county board conducts business. What's the story with that commercial manager role?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,359 ✭✭✭naughto

The hole lot of them need to be ran
    Having to pay 5 grand for 10 tickets valued at 950 to a doner like what’s going on.
    There was never going to be a pitch at lock lannagh it was all to get more money

This is embarrassing. Why in the name of Fock are we always doing our dirty washing in the public domain?! Despite the county boards incompetence this O'Leary sounds like a right diva. Why wasn't there a proper committee set-up to deal with this in an appropriate manner. Id say Connelly cannot wait to get out the door and leave this mess behind him

naughto wrote: »
    Having to pay 5 grand for 10 tickets valued at 950 to a doner like what’s going on.
    There was never going to be a pitch at lock lannagh it was all to get more money

I don't believe this to be true. There is no way the Council would be involved if that was the case

• Advertisement

I don't believe this to be true. There is no way the Council would be involved if that was the case

Did you read the statement

Did you read the statement

Yes I've read it. One of the primary objectives of the foundation was to help with the new proposed facility. Just because Connolly didn't forward a business plan doesn't mean it was never going ahead. Id just say he wasn't arsed and thought the cash would keep coming without the additional hassle of creating a business plan. Well and truly blown up in his face now though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

So you're just going to believe one side of the story ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,285 ✭✭✭threeball

Yes I've read it. One of the primary objectives of the foundation was to help with the new proposed facility. Just because Connolly didn't forward a business plan doesn't mean it was never going ahead. Id just say he wasn't arsed and thought the cash would keep coming without the additional hassle of creating a business plan. Well and truly blown up in his face now though

Whats the craic with having a second centre of excellence. The Connaught one isn't used by any other county outside some end of season tournaments for kids. Are Mayo not using this already, if not, why not. I know its not ideally located but what was its purpose at all if the Mayo teams don't use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

So you're just going to believe one side of the story ya?

Let's just say that this isn't the first incident of this nature to occur over the years. Allegedly.

BandMember wrote: »
    Let's just say that this isn't the first incident of this nature to occur over the years. Allegedly.

Aye allegedly. Connelly said categorically that this didnt happen, im not going to rush to judgement like some. I know absolutely nothing about this man behind the foundation either, maybe he was dictating to the board how they run their affairs? I really dont know the details either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

threeball wrote: »
    Whats the craic with having a second centre of excellence. The Connaught one isn't used by any other county outside some end of season tournaments for kids. Are Mayo not using this already, if not, why not. I know its not ideally located but what was its purpose at all if the Mayo teams don't use it.

Connacht one in Bekan is the Connacht GAA one. It’s expensive to book it and there is no guarantee for a county team that it will be available when they need it as it may well be booked for someone else. The one in Lough Lannagh is a collaboration with the Council.
    Mayo teams at all levels have struggled to have pitches available for games and training so more being available isn’t a bad thing.

The one in Bekan is in Mayo because Bekan is literally as close to the Centre of the province as it could be, though there are Clubs in Mayo that are further away from Bekan than the furthest reaches of Sligo, Leitrim and Roscommon.

Aye allegedly. Connelly said categorically that this didnt happen, im not going to rush to judgement like some. I know absolutely nothing about this man behind the foundation either, maybe he was dictating to the board how they run their affairs? I really dont know the details either

And you believe him when there’s so much money being sent over and no recipts of where it was being spent you have to start asking questions about who is controlling the accounts.
    If Horan couldn’t control the board or get what he needed what makes you think that O’Leary can.
    They wanted the money no questions asked now that they are asking where it went they can show for it

And you believe him when there’s so much money being sent over and no recipts of where it was being spent you have to start asking questions about who is controlling the accounts.
    If Horan couldn’t control the board or get what he needed what makes you think that O’Leary can.
    They wanted the money no questions asked now that they are asking where it went they can show for it

I dont believe or disbelieve him but im waiting to hear both sides of the story and i seriously doubt 'there are no receipts' but we shall see, hey you may well be right, its looking like a right mess anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

These guys are not the first sponsor who had issues about the way their donations were dispersed. On Connolly personally, he said a lot of things over the past couple of years in relation to management set ups that were categorically untrue, so..... I know nothing about the individuals in the group that were mentioned. I think that at this point, anyone who knows anything about Mayo football over the years can all agree that where the CB are concerned, there's no smoke without fire...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement