Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Blackjack wrote: »
    threeball wrote: »
    Whats the craic with having a second centre of excellence. The Connaught one isn't used by any other county outside some end of season tournaments for kids. Are Mayo not using this already, if not, why not. I know its not ideally located but what was its purpose at all if the Mayo teams don't use it.

Connacht one in Bekan is the Connacht GAA one. It’s expensive to book it and there is no guarantee for a county team that it will be available when they need it as it may well be booked for someone else. The one in Lough Lannagh is a collaboration with the Council.
    Mayo teams at all levels have struggled to have pitches available for games and training so more being available isn’t a bad thing.

The one in Bekan is in Mayo because Bekan is literally as close to the Centre of the province as it could be, though there are Clubs in Mayo that are further away from Bekan than the furthest reaches of Sligo, Leitrim and Roscommon.

Who is using it though. I've been involved in a couple of end of season tournaments for kids down there and heard of a few club games between Galway and Sligo clubs but apart from that I never hear use of it. It's a bit of a white elephant as far as I can see and windy as fcuk. Is it really that busy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Who is using it though. I've been involved in a couple of end of season tournaments for kids down there and heard of a few club games between Galway and Sligo clubs but apart from that I never hear use of it. It's a bit of a white elephant as far as I can see and windy as fcuk. Is it really that busy?

Couldn’t tell you, not based in the County unfortunately. Anytime I’ve passed by the place it’s been used but how frequently or to what Capacity I can’t say.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Lads, the dogs on the street know you should be getting more bang for their investment bucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Couldn’t tell you, not based in the County unfortunately. Anytime I’ve passed by the place it’s been used but how frequently or to what Capacity I can’t say.

Its always in use and now that the wetter weather is here it will be used more as the pitches are well maintained. Its also used by Connacht GAA as their offices and training centre so always something going on. There are plans to install an indoor pitch under an inflatable dome but no sign of that yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Four all star nominations is about right.

Durcan
    Barrett
    Boyle
    AOS

I'd expect either Boyle or Durcan to get one, but no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Boyle the only possibility for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Durcan for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerianam

AOS was excellent this year.

• Advertisement

Kalyke wrote: »
    Durcan for me.

Same as that.

Gerianam wrote: »

He was but you’re not allowed to acknowledge that as the knuckle draggers and trolls will be out in their droves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Gerianam wrote: »

Was basically a one man midfield for most of the season. Dragged us through the qualifiers. But people aren't ready for that conversation.

Durcan will get his and that'll be it, I suspect.

As for the county board, think I've made my feelings on them clear plenty of times before on here.
    Wouldn't trust anyone on that board as far as I could throw them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

Personally, I'd give them to Boyle and AOS. However, the media will give midfield to Fenton and Moran.

If Durcan gets one, he's basically getting it for the last two games - he wouldn't have been mentioned as strongly before that. Don't get me wrong, he's one of our key players and leaders of our team (and was excellent in those games), but we're only going to get one in the half back line and, for me, it has to be Boyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

This gave me a laugh
    A millionaire businessman has claimed certain people are out to discredit him after his foundation withheld €250,000 in funding from Mayo GAA's county board in a row over governance. UK-based trader Tim O'Leary hit out at "irrelevant" stories which had been circulated in GAA circles since the dispute erupted.

The cash was pledged by the Mayo GAA International Supporters Foundation, which Mr O'Leary founded and chairs, towards the creation of academy and centre of excellence facilities. However, the money was held back when business plans for the projects were not produced by the county board. The dispute came to the fore in recent days after a letter from the foundation, which was highly critical of the county board, was circulated to clubs across the county.

Speaking to the Irish Independent, Mr O'Leary stood over the contents of the letter, which stated funding would cease until "appropriate governance structures" are put in place. The English-born millionaire, whose mother is from Mayo, said he was "a massive sports fan" and wanted what was best for GAA in the county. Despite the breakdown of the relationship between the foundation and the county board, he insisted he did not want to walk away.

"I am just trying to change the system that has been in place for X number of years," he said.
    "Do I need my name and picture in the papers? No. But that is unfortunately the price I have to pay today," he added. The foundation, whose membership is said to include other successful international business people with Mayo connections, began funding the county's GAA teams last year. Mr O'Leary says he has already personally contributed €415,000 to Mayo GAA and the foundation, which organised a successful gala fundraising dinner in New York last May, attended by former Taoiseach Enda Kenny. The event coincided with the Mayo senior football team's Connacht Championship clash with New York.

In recent days sources within GAA circles in the county claimed Mr O'Leary had been asked to leave the team bus during the trip. But Mr O'Leary flatly denied this happened.

The same sources also highlighted a tabloid newspaper story which detailed how Mr O'Leary dropped his trousers while cheering on England at their Euro 2012 quarter-final clash with Italy in Kiev, Ukraine, in a vain effort to put off an Italian penalty taker.

Responding to the spreading of such stories, Mr O'Leary said: "That is absolutely irrelevant to this situation. "People want to try and discredit me. But at the end of the day I have spent a significant amount of money and I have pledged further money [to Mayo GAA]. "I want what's best for Mayo GAA. That is the most important thing. I want Mayo to win All Irelands. That would be my ambition. I want to sit there in Croke Park with my brothers, my mother who is from Mayo, my uncles, my cousins.

"This is not Tim O'Leary versus Mayo GAA.
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/people-want-to-try-to-discredit-me-says-millionaire-mayo-gaa-donor-38539267.html

I like this guy, he will do anything to see his team win including mooning Italian penalty takers in front of international TV cameras. A dedicated sports fan if ever I saw one. The Mayo County Board need to shut the fcuk up, produce the dam business plan and take the money that he is trying to give them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

Muahahaha wrote: »
    The Mayo County Board need to shut the fcuk up, produce the dam business plan and take the money that he is trying to give them.

How could they spend it on whatever they like then? Its a shambles once again. The man is trying to invest in GAA in the county and if that 400gs figure is correct, is damn entitled to know where the money will be spent.

• Advertisement

BandMember wrote: »
    Personally, I'd give them to Boyle and AOS. However, the media will give midfield to Fenton and Moran.

If Durcan gets one, he's basically getting it for the last two games - he wouldn't have been mentioned as strongly before that. Don't get me wrong, he's one of our key players and leaders of our team (and was excellent in those games), but we're only going to get one in the half back line and, for me, it has to be Boyle.

I though Paddy was exceptional against Galway to be honest. I don’t think Kerry would have given us as much of a trimming as they did if he wasn’t injured for that game either.
    Personally I thought Paddy was hard done by not to get an All Star in 2016 or 2017. I’d have given it to him ahead of Boyler in 2016.

I though Paddy was exceptional against Galway to be honest. I don’t think Kerry would have given us as much of a trimming as they did if he wasn’t injured for that game either.
    Personally I thought Paddy was hard done by not to get an All Star in 2016 or 2017. I’d have given it to him ahead of Boyler in 2016.

I'd definitely agree with you that we wouldn't have gotten such a trimming v Kerry if he had been there alright - as I said, he's one of our leaders, main men and top players. Did well against Galway, but missed games through injury so that will go against him. He might have been hard done by in 16 and 17, but this is 2019 so the history is irrelevant I'm afraid.

Durcan will get it for his performances on McCaffrey and McHugh. Rightly or wrongly, that's how it'll go, especially after McCaffrey's performance in the drawn final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Yes I've read it. One of the primary objectives of the foundation was to help with the new proposed facility. Just because Connolly didn't forward a business plan doesn't mean it was never going ahead. Id just say he wasn't arsed and thought the cash would keep coming without the additional hassle of creating a business plan. Well and truly blown up in his face now though

Its not that difficult to put together a business plan. Certainly little hassle for what would be received in return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I like this guy, he will do anything to see his team win including mooning Italian penalty takers in front of international TV cameras. A dedicated sports fan if ever I saw one. The Mayo County Board need to shut the fcuk up, produce the dam business plan and take the money that he is trying to give them.

Where was he when Dean Rock was taking that free?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Where was he when Dean Rock was taking that free?!

Throwing his GPS at the TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

So we've hopefully got a couple of appetising county semi finals at the weekend.

Saturday 5th October 2019 @ 19.30

Ballintubber v Ballina Stephenites

Should be a cracker.I've an inkling the Stephenites will push the Tubber men all the way.

Sunday October 6th 2019 @ 15.30

Ballaghaderreen v Castlebar Mitchels

Mitchels have yet to catch fire this year and were by all accounts put to the pin of their collar by Knockmore.Ballagh with Andy inspired post calling a halt to his inter county career will ensure it's another tight affair but I suspect the Mitchels will get over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Interesting statement from supermacs calling out the Galway county board and funding allocations.

https://www.supermacs.ie/supermacs-statement-re-galway-gaa-finances/?fbclid=IwAR2jqwuOSz1cBbvSDwHqzhwuvWtBdjC02nm_c6tHHrpUWOFHWF_qSsLXSEE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Did anyone see Laochra Gael - Liam McHale on Sunday ?

I had to turn it off when they got to the 1996 first game v Meath
    I could not watch anymore.

Think of how different the last 23 years would have been had that game been won.
    A fair fits of the the '51 team would have been able to savor in the victory.
    After this season just gone I feel we as far away as every from a title, unfortunately.

A brighter aspect of the show for me was the 1989 final build up.
    Both McHale and Maughan talk about just how big the hype was that September.
    It was the only final i was in Mayo for the build up, and it was something special.
    I don't come from a particularly sporting family and neither of my parents were much into the local GAA scene, but we did noting that September only talk about the upcoming final.
    I remember a Dublin guy at the top of Main St in Castlebar for two solid weeks selling hats, flags, scarfs and headbands.

Anthony Larry Finnerty was on a Newstalk special with Nathan Murphy a few years ago talking about Mayo, and of course hype came into it.

Anthony Larry said that no fan should ever have to apologize about getting excited about their team being in an All Ireland final
    And he was dead right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I watched the first bit, until Coyle put the ball over the bar, my dad turned around and said “ah for f**ks sake” like he’d never seen it before, kinda summed it up for me

On that point, I actually thought Madden was more at fault, he wasn’t, at all.

I met his dad recently, very nice man, kinda felt it weights heavy on them

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

Madden played for his club a few months ago, i would image he is in his early to mid 40's now and that 1996 final is 23 years ago.

Anyway, he posted on twitter about playing and a few jackass's were onto him about that bouncing ball going over the bar. A bit much tbh.

I always wonder how non of the backs attacked that ball as it was drove in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

What do Mayo people make of the latest (Tim O'Leary) Mayo GAA International Supporters Foundation v Mayo County Board?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/martin-breheny-mayos-sugar-daddy-row-is-a-cautionary-tale-for-others-38554202.html

"Tim O'Leary is, by all accounts, something of a Mayo supporter extraordinaire. A wealthy businessman, who hails from London, his family links with green-and-red country coaxed him into doing something practical to help the cause.

He set up the Mayo GAA International Supporters Foundation, with the aim of raising substantial funds for various projects in the county.

It worked too. Huge sums were generated - a dinner in New York last May to coincide with Mayo's Connacht Championship game contributed $253,000 (€231,000) to the coffers and O'Leary claims that he has made personal donations of €415,000. Now that's serious 'Sugar Daddy' stuff.

It sounded like great news for Mayo, but unfortunately a hitch has arisen. Relations between the foundation and the Mayo County Board strained after last May's venture and €250,000 is being withheld due to a dispute.

It's all out in the open now after the foundation informed Mayo clubs that funding to the county board would cease "until appropriate governance structures are put in place"

Should the Mayo County Board be entitled to use the money gifted to them without "appropriate governance structures put in place" or do you think that Tim O'Leary and the Mayo International Supporters foundation are interfering in County Board matters?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Did anyone see Laochra Gael - Liam McHale on Sunday ?

Missed that, thankfully I've the series set to record. Has there been any other Mayo players past or present that have been on Laochra Gael?

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

What do Mayo people make of the latest (Tim O'Leary) Mayo GAA International Supporters Foundation v Mayo County Board?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/martin-breheny-mayos-sugar-daddy-row-is-a-cautionary-tale-for-others-38554202.html

"Tim O'Leary is, by all accounts, something of a Mayo supporter extraordinaire. A wealthy businessman, who hails from London, his family links with green-and-red country coaxed him into doing something practical to help the cause.

He set up the Mayo GAA International Supporters Foundation, with the aim of raising substantial funds for various projects in the county.

It worked too. Huge sums were generated - a dinner in New York last May to coincide with Mayo's Connacht Championship game contributed $253,000 (€231,000) to the coffers and O'Leary claims that he has made personal donations of €415,000. Now that's serious 'Sugar Daddy' stuff.

It sounded like great news for Mayo, but unfortunately a hitch has arisen. Relations between the foundation and the Mayo County Board strained after last May's venture and €250,000 is being withheld due to a dispute.

It's all out in the open now after the foundation informed Mayo clubs that funding to the county board would cease "until appropriate governance structures are put in place"

Should the Mayo County Board be entitled to use the money gifted to them without "appropriate governance structures put in place" or do you think that Tim O'Leary and the Mayo International Supporters foundation are interfering in County Board matters?

I'm sure everyone agrees there should be transparency around where money goes. The following article shows how much pressure is on the county board - http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/34337-mayo-gaa-chairman-calls-on-croke-park-to-support-firefighting-county-boards

Apparently they are working on producing the necessary business plans to draw down the money, so hopefully it's sorted soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭elderberry

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    I'm sure everyone agrees there should be transparency around where money goes. The following article shows how much pressure is on the county board - http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/34337-mayo-gaa-chairman-calls-on-croke-park-to-support-firefighting-county-boards

Apparently they are working on producing the necessary business plans to draw down the money, so hopefully it's sorted soon.

From that Mayo News article it sounds like the Commercial Manager will have a lot on his plate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Missed that, thankfully I've the series set to record. Has there been any other Mayo players past or present that have been on Laochra Gael?

Willie Joe.

Connolly is some clown! First of all, why is he calling on Croke Park to sort a mess that's got absolutely nothing to do with them?? This is all down to the Mayo County Board - they're elected to their positions (or appointed to their positions with a financial package) in order to do the basic stuff like spend the money, know where it's spent and be able to account for it! If they can't do that much, then what the f**k are they there for??? :confused:

As for his comment about being constantly fighting fires...... Well, if the County Board (including himself, whose been responsible for more than his fair share of fires) weren't constantly going around with a can of petrol in one hand and a box of matches in the other..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

BandMember wrote: »
    Connolly is some clown! First of all, why is he calling on Croke Park to sort a mess that's got absolutely nothing to do with them?? This is all down to the Mayo County Board - they're elected to their positions (or appointed to their positions with a financial package) in order to do the basic stuff like spend the money, know where it's spent and be able to account for it! If they can't do that much, then what the f**k are they there for??? :confused:

As for his comment about being constantly fighting fires...... Well, if the County Board (including himself, whose been responsible for more than his fair share of fires) weren't constantly going around with a can of petrol in one hand and a box of matches in the other..... :rolleyes:

Did you read the article? He's saying the workload involved is too much for 4 volunteers to do in the evenings and weekends.

You make it sound so simple, "just spend the money"?! The monthly loan repayment on MacHale Park is €33k. God knows what monthly costs are for running the county teams. Then Tim Oleary (understandably) wants clarification that his money will only be spent on the Lough Lannagh centre and academy teams.

Connelly's term is up this year so he won't be around much longer. Something tells me there won't be a queue of qualified CEOs looking for the position.

Did you read the article? He's saying the workload involved is too much for 4 volunteers to do in the evenings and weekends.

You make it sound so simple, "just spend the money"?! The monthly loan repayment on MacHale Park is €33k. God knows what monthly costs are for running the county teams. Then Tim Oleary (understandably) wants clarification that his money will only be spent on the Lough Lannagh centre and academy teams.

Connelly's term is up this year so he won't be around much longer. Something tells me there won't be a queue of qualified CEOs looking for the position.

Agree with your sentiment,Seamus Tuohy will have an unenviable task when he assumes office.The running of county board executives becomes ever more onerous and incompatible with the involvement of volunteer GAA members.

Without doubt as BandMember stated the Mike Connelly chairmanship will be remembered for the issues around the Noel Connelly/Pat Holmes appointment,the player revolt and the treatment of Stephen Rochford at the death of his management reign.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭boosabum

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Willie Joe.

Cora

Anyone going to the matches at the weekend? Might go to the Ballintubber/Ballina game.

Folks in Ballina are convinced that theyre winning the county this year, its some confidence they have given they've beat f**k all. I fancy Ballintubber to win handy enough, too much inexperience in Ballina and too small

Castlebar will wipe the floor with Ballaghdereen

Green&Red wrote: »
    Anyone going to the matches at the weekend? Might go to the Ballintubber/Ballina game.

Folks in Ballina are convinced that theyre winning the county this year, its some confidence they have given they've beat f**k all. I fancy Ballintubber to win handy enough, too much inexperience in Ballina and too small

Hoping to head up to the games.

I didn't see the quarter finals but I think it might be closer than you think.

Are the Mitchels playing well enough to wipe the floor on Ballagh?

seligehgit wrote: »
    Hoping to head up to the games.

I didn't see the quarter finals but I think it might be closer than you think.

Are the Mitchels playing well enough to wipe the floor on Ballagh?

On the basis of the quarter final the pick of Davitts and Ballagh wouldn't give Castlebar a game, they were both awful only Ballagh had Andy who is a class above.
    Not that mitchells were great, we should have beaten them but they will have more than enough to beat these lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Green&Red wrote: »

Ballina haven't had it easy at all, came through a tricky group with Castlebar, Westport and Aghamore unbeaten, and got through Breaffy who have made multiple finals in the past few years.

I'd actually go as far as saying they couldn't have had much tougher a route to this stage, given who they could have potentially drawn at each stage. Giddiness well warranted - imo!

• Advertisement

I would disagree there while they all are going ok in the league, its only the league

Aghamore and Westport were both in the relegation playoffs in 2017, Aghamore were there last year again, Westport made the quarters last year but that was out of a group of Crossmolina, Claremorris and Hollymount. Westport in particular are talked about as potential championship winners at some stage in the future, fair enough they won an intermediate all-ireland but its a huge step up, theres no evidence to show they will do it anytime soon.

Breaffy always find some way to lose in the championship, fair enough the county final last year but Claremorris in a quarter the previous year, Knockmore in a semi, hammered in the final 2015. I wouldn't put much stock in beating them.

Ballina need to beat Ballintubber or Castlebar to be seriously considered contenders IMO (Edit: I'd say the same about Knockmore if they were in the same boat)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Knockmore are generally in the latter stages though - Ballina have gone through a very inconsistent spell of recent. Much different aspirations at present

ballina had a couple of players make championship debuts for Mayo this year and are unbeaten in championship despite playing 2 of the "big 3" over the past few seasons. No connection to the place but I'd be absolutely buzzing if I were from there myself in the circumstances

Might be a bit different if they snuck through the group on 2 points and snuck past Ballaghaderreen in the quarter, but my point is they've well and truly earned their place and have every right to be confident. Sure - they're likely to lose all things being equal but sure where's the fun in tempering expectations when they're down to the last 4!

If they can't do the job they are elected to, then what are they there for? There's a lot more than 4 of them too!! It's strange how you never hear of County Board people from other counties with large turnovers and income (let's say.....for example....Kerry or Donegal or Dublin or Tyrone or anyone at all) ever complaining that they can't do their job. I didn't say "just spend the money" - I said that they should know WHERE they are spending it and WHAT they are spending it on. You know, Treasurer 101....
    seligehgit wrote: »
    Without doubt as BandMember stated the Mike Connelly chairmanship will be remembered for the issues around the Noel Connelly/Pat Holmes appointment,the player revolt and the treatment of Stephen Rochford at the death of his management reign.

Indeed. All that and more. Remember he held more than one post. ;)

Plenty of rumours about what went on with receipts and whatnot - first there were none and then when they did finally produce receipts, it showed that the money hadn't even been spent on what it was agreed it should be spent on. Then the whole nonsense with claiming that they hadn't seen the letter. The entire county had seen the letter while the county board were still trying to claim they hadn't heard anything about it.
    The county board have a responsibility to be careful with other people's money, nobody has to donate anything to any GAA county board, and the lack of transparancy doesn't exactly make it seem like an enticing investment. They were asked to do one thing with the money and then went and did something else entirely with it. That's inexcusable imo.

Anyway, there's going to be a few of them out on their arses soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Obviously months old, but I just saw it in the YLYL thread and this seems the place for it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=492342&stc=1&d=1570268972

I believe Kevin Mc Stay is having a book launch in the Sportlann next Friday night at 20.00.

Martin Carney is the compere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I see Ballintubber the defending Mayo senior champs are into the final with 1-10 to 0-6 win over Ballina.

I see Ballintubber the defending Mayo senior champs are into the final with 1-10 to 0-6 win over Ballina.

Yes a comfortable enough win in the end as the scoreline suggests.Ultimately the Stephenites greatly struggled up front.The loss of Evan Regan pre throw in was a big blow.

Very low scoring first half.Ballina hit the post and scorned two goal chances.The crossbar coming to the Tubber mens rescue on the first occasion.These were chances Ballina could ill afford to squander.Ciaran Treacy's accuracy from distant frees kept the Stephenites in the contest.

Cillian O Connor's quick 3 scores from play just before the break opened up some daylight.

They went on to waste two easy chances at the start of the second half.The umpires had a day to forget.Signalling a point for a Ciaran Treacy free which went right of the upright.

Thankfully the referee overruled the umpires at the other end for an obviously wide Cillian O Connor free.

Ballintubber's greater efficacy in attack won the day,Ciaran Gavin topping off an impressive display taking his goal with aplomb.

The usual suspects impressed for the Tubber,Cillian,Jason Gibbons.Diarmuid capped a work man like display with a lovely point in the second half.Hopefully James Horan will take a serious look at young Gavin.

Ballina battled gamely but just lacked that bit up front.Conor Mc Stay again impressed but a lad who continues to stand out and deserves a trial in the Mayo set up is Padraig O Hora.Jack Irwin is another worthy of further observation.

Ballina were confident going into this game, but had a feeling Ballintubber would take them. They have more up front and are that little bit cuter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Great win for Ballyhaunis today. Jason Coyne stand out performer for Haunis hitting 1-4 from play. Will face a decent The Neale side in 2 weeks.

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Great win for Ballyhaunis today. Jason Coyne stand out performer for Haunis hitting 1-4 from play. Will face a decent The Neale side in 2 weeks.

Great second half from Ballyhaunis.

Big congrats my friend.

The Neale indeed are a very decent outfit.

Some result in the second county semi final.

A ravenous Ballagh side put the Mitchels to the sword.

Castlebar Mitchels 0-8

Ballaghaderreen 0-15

Things could have been so much worse only for Ruairi Byrne who produced a string of great saves to keep the scoreline relatively respectful.

A performance similar to this will trouble Ballintubber greatly.

The Mitchels looked very leggy and have been struggling this year.They could'nt get going,many years on the road now.Ballagh were excellent defensively and nullified a blunt Mitchels attack.

Owen Jordan,Seamus Cunniffe,Shairoze Akram and co excelled defensively,Ryan Lynch scored for fun.

Andy Moran,the impressive Kuba Callaghan did the damage inside with great support from Cian Hanley.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement