Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

seligehgit wrote: »
    Great second half from Ballyhaunis.

Big congrats my friend.

The Neale indeed are a very decent outfit.

Some result in the second county semi final.

A ravenous Ballagh side put the Mitchels to the sword.

Castlebar Mitchels 0-8

Ballaghaderreen 0-15

Things could have been so much worse only for Ruairi Byrne who produced a string of great saves to keep the scoreline relatively respectful.

A performance similar to this will trouble Ballintubber greatly.

The Mitchels looked very leggy and have been struggling this year.They could'nt get going,many years on the road now.Ballagh were excellent defensively and nullified a blunt Mitchels attack.

Owen Jordan,Seamus Cunniffe,Shairoze Akram and co excelled defensively,Ryan Lynch scored for fun.

Andy Moran,the impressive Kuba Callaghan did the damage inside with great support from Cian Hanley.

Ballagh could have really embarrassed Mitchells today if they took even half there goal chances. Apart from all those missed chances they were excellent. The penalty miss was huge, would have brought it back to 3. Making of a good final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭PressRun

A beating like that was coming for Mitchels. Knockmore should have put them to bed a couple of weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Donal Vaughans transfer to Castlebar hasn't turned out as successful as he imagined..

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dodo mommy

Donal Vaughans transfer to Castlebar hasn't turned out as successful as he imagined..
    He has a terrable game today was it his man that scored four points from play in the first half?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

It really was a terrible decision by him to move to a club 20 mins down the road; It very rarely works out and is usually done when a player is on the slide.
    On a side note a good result for his former club to avoid relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

I always thought it was a ridiculous transfer. I could understand if he was living a long way from Ballinrobe, but Caftlebar is hardly long distance. Your club is your club, obviously Donie didn't have much time for Ballinrobe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

But can you blame a player for wanting a little more than they currently had? Ballinrobe in all fairness were never going to win anything. He lives in Castlebar why not throw his lot in with them and give himself a shot at some silverware. Doesn't always work out as can be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Next year's Connacht senior football championship draw takes place after the 8.30 news on Morning Ireland tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

But can you blame a player for wanting a little more than they currently had? Ballinrobe in all fairness were never going to win anything. He lives in Castlebar why not throw his lot in with them and give himself a shot at some silverware. Doesn't always work out as can be seen.

How can a small club ever expect to win anything?
    Should James Carr leave Ardagh for Ballina or Knockmore? He'd have missed out on their Div 4 win yesterday if he did.
    Its not soccer

You could make the same argument about Ballintubber, the O'Connors could have moved to Castlebar or Breaffy, instead they stuck with their own, won the intermediate champship and now have four county medals to go with that

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dodo mommy

It's more about loyalty to your life long friends then silverware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I did not see that Ballaghdereen result coming, fair play to them, it sounded like it could have been a lot more

Ballintubber sounded like they kept Ballina at arms length for the match, never really in doubt. Good year for Ballina though, they'll be happy with that.

Sounded like Ciaran Gaving played very well, would he be an option for the county?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Some good games at the weekend, great crowd Sat night but poor enough yesterday. Great conditions so its a shame.

Ballagh fairly taught a lesson to Cbar! But for Byrne and his 7 great saves it would have been a hammering. The want by Ballagh was so much more than Cbar and Andy driving out the instructions was a pleasure to watch. Some serious performers on the Ballagh team, Drake, Akram, Hanley, Andy. Few new lads to me there also in midfield and 10.

Tubber just have the quality upfront which is needed at this stage, COC was super and got dogged all game. Think Gavin cud get a run out, though only 19??.

Its suprising to see the big difference in the Intermediate and Senior levels with regards fitness and skill level but BHaunis were excellent yesterday. Higgins just pure quality.
    Louisburgh left it behind them, 4 great chances to close it out, didn't utilise Austin O'M when he came on and a brain fart by the keeper led to the goal.

Can't see the Neale been able to live with BHanuis.

The seniors should be a cracker.

Great weekend all in. Shame the 2 finals aren't on the same day. Sat night would have been perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭eastmayo

As far as I no the 2 finals are on sat 19 Oct..inter throws in at 5 followed by the senior at 7.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

eastmayo wrote: »
    As far as I no the 2 finals are on sat 19 Oct..inter throws in at 5 followed by the senior at 7.

ah ok. I only saw the intermediate advertised. Cheers

Next year's Connacht senior football championship draw takes place after the 8.30 news on Morning Ireland tomorrow.
    Same nonsense as this mornings Leinster draw where no semi final draw is done?

Same nonsense as this mornings Leinster draw where no semi final draw is done?

Not sure TBH but I'd imagine there's no impediment to a full draw.

yop wrote: »
    Some serious performers on the Ballagh team, Drake, Akram, Hanley, Andy. Few new lads to me there also in midfield and 10.

Akram fairly collared Paddy Durcan. We might be seeing a bit more of him after Christmas.

Anyone hear James Horan talking about upcoming challenge games? Some new names being looked at supposedly.

Kevin McStay's autobiography 'The Pressure Game' was launched in his native Ballina last week.Afterwards Kevin sat down for a wide ranging interview with Mayo News sports editor Mike Finnerty,which we're now making available as a special episode of the Mayo News football podcast.

In this in depth interview,Kevin focus primarily on the highs and lows he has encountered in football management after a stellar career that included a 1989 All Ireland Final appearance and an All Star.

He speaks candidly about the issues surrounding his unsuccessful bid to become Mayo manager back in 2014 and he draws parallels between that controversy and the current dispute in relation to the funding of Mayo GAA.Drawing on his wide experience as a football analyst on The Sunday Game Kevin also casts a critical eye on where the county team stands ahead of the 2020 season.  

https://themayonews.podomatic.com/enclosure/2019-10-07T11_26_11-07_00.mp3

As I mentioned previously there's a further book launch on Friday night in the Sportlann.

It's a top notch interview by a great Mayo GAA man.

Very candid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Very good interview with McStay. Some good insights into our problems at board level from his perspective.

Didn't get to see the Tubber v Stephenites game at the weekend.

I thought Akram really stood out on Sunday. He was always quick and naturally stocky but I think his ball skills have improved. He played several nice kick passes into Andy during the game. I would say adding scores to his game is all that's lacking now. Hanley was good linking play but as a forward he needs to be more of a scoring threat. I'd still have him behind the likes of Boland, McDonagh and Treacy in terms of playing county. Kuba Callaghan is a livewire but a bit raw. He's still U20 next year I think along with Ciaran Gavin from Ballintubber.

Mayo v Leitrim

London v Roscommon

New York v Galway

If Mayo win,to play winners of London v Roscommon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Mayo v Leitrim

London v Roscommon

New York v Galway

If Mayo win,to play winners of London v Roscommon
    Are Sligo going to get a game ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

blinding wrote: »
    Are Sligo going to get a game ?

Sligo get a bye into the SF where they play the winner of NY v Galway.

From a Mayo POV they should get past Leitrim ok but after that it would be tough away to Roscommon and possibly away to Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Sligo get a bye into the SF where they play the winner of NY v Galway.

From a Mayo POV they should get past Leitrim ok but after that it would be tough away to Roscommon and possibly away to Galway

Yeah, going to be very tough to win a Connacht title next year. Think needed Sligo/Leitrim in the semi, but as you say two away matches in a row v Ros and Galway will be very tricky indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭boosabum

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    Very good interview with McStay. Some good insights into our problems at board level from his perspective.

Came across somewhat bitter i felt.

Talked about need to understand people can't be dismissed and throw under the bus and then goes and throws two men under the bus with flippant remarks.

All the talk of a CEO if grand but its not that straight forward in terms of stumping up the cash to pay a good one seems to be glossed over.

Currently two full time admin roles in Mayo Gaa and neither would make a person rich so would have to have an awful love for the game to taken them on.

boosabum wrote: »

Talked about need to understand people can't be dismissed and throw under the bus and then goes and throws two men under the bus with flippant remarks.

All the talk of a CEO if grand but its not that straight forward in terms of stumping up the cash to pay a good one seems to be glossed over.

Currently two full time admin roles in Mayo Gaa and neither would make a person rich so would have to have an awful love for the game to taken them on.

I'd agree with the last 2 paragraphs. There aren't many qualified CEOs around mayo looking for a job. It's also hard to predict how things will be financially in 4 or 5 years so any prospective CEO could only be offered a short term rolling contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

boosabum wrote: »

Never got a bitter feel from McStay, more his disappointment of not getting the job and the lack of a process around the recruitment. These are all valid and not bitter in my eyes. I think he feels that he wanted the job while the guys that got it were made/forced/sounded up to take it but that went belly up as well. There were no winners!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭statto25

I'm not surprised seeing as they money they had probably earmarked has been held by the foundation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Never got a bitter feel from McStay, more his disappointment of not getting the job and the lack of a process around the recruitment. These are all valid and not bitter in my eyes. I think he feels that he wanted the job while the guys that got it were made/forced/sounded up to take it but that went belly up as well. There were no winners!!!

I think Mayo county board were prepared to give McStay the job if he joined up without McHale and he wasn't going to do that. In his own words Mayo didn't particularly need Kevin McStay as manager but they absolutely needed Liam McHale a a coach.

I think Mayo county board were prepared to give McStay the job if he joined up without McHale and he wasn't going to do that. In his own words Mayo didn't particularly need Kevin McStay as manager but they absolutely needed Liam McHale a a coach.
    McHale has too much Jaw Jaw for everybody !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

2020 NFL

Saturday January 25 Donegal Away
    Saturday February 1 Dublin Home
    Sunday February 9 Meath Away
    Sunday February 23 Monaghan Away
    Saturday February 29 Kerry Home
    Sunday March 15 Galway Away
    Sunday March 22 Tyrone Home

ureds wrote: »
    2020 NFL

Tough enough schedule. Would have much preferred Kerry and Tyrone early on. Definitely not advisable to be in the mix for relegation with those last 3 fixtures as they are, even if 2 are at home.

Donegal away is a very tricky start and Dublin is basically a write off anymore even if it may be better in theory to play them early. Monaghan and Meath games are definitely the most winnable and will probably define the campaign

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

I have to say that I'm very surprised that either nobody here or the County Board have commented on the financial implications of next years Championship draw - it means no home games in the Connacht Championship at all in 2020. Apart from the loss of home advantage and going on the road for the entirety, there's big loans to be repaid that depend on these games... Remember 2010 and how they got bailed out by Sligo having to take Castlebar as the neutral final for the final?

Best. Joke. Ever. "absolutely needed Liam McHale as a coach". That's the funniest thing I've read on here in ages! :pac:

jr86 wrote: »
    Tough enough schedule. Would have much preferred Kerry and Tyrone early on. Definitely not advisable to be in the mix for relegation with those last 3 fixtures as they are, even if 2 are at home.

Donegal away is a very tricky start and Dublin is basically a write off anymore even if it may be better in theory to play them early. Monaghan and Meath games are definitely the most winnable and will probably define the campaign

That's a very tough schedule.

With the likely experimentation and team transition I think as usual we'll have a real fight to stay up.

That's a very tough schedule.

With the likely experimentation and team transition I think as usual we'll have a real fight to stay up.

Agree! I'm pretty sure our first 3 games in 2019 were Roscommon, Cavan and Tyrone who only get going in the latter rounds. All extremely winnable

Think it's extremely likely we'll lose our first 2 next year, giving us basically zero margin for error against Monaghan and meath.

Given our form in McHale Park, I don't fancy us in any of our home games. Kerry at home could be terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

2020 NFL

Thanks for that, Breaffy booked.

Best time to play Dublin is in the earlier rounds. They are basically still in pre-season mode and monaghan getting them early this year and beating them was key to keeping them up by the skin of their teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

BandMember wrote: »
    I have to say that I'm very surprised that either nobody here or the County Board have commented on the financial implications of next years Championship draw - it means no home games in the Connacht Championship at all in 2020. Apart from the loss of home advantage and going on the road for the entirety, there's big loans to be repaid that depend on these games... Remember 2010 and how they got bailed out by Sligo having to take Castlebar as the neutral final for the final?

Best. Joke. Ever. "absolutely needed Liam McHale as a coach". That's the funniest thing I've read on here in ages! :pac:

There was no championship games in McHale part in 2015 either. The difference is now we have a chance of a home super 8's games should we get that far. Nothing like that in 2015.

Best time to play Dublin is in the earlier rounds. They are basically still in pre-season mode and monaghan getting them early this year and beating them was key to keeping them up by the skin of their teeth.

Best time to play them alright

In any case - maybe we can get the fog machine out in Castlebar again and get it cancelled and resulted in a draw?

Oh wait... this isn't that other farce of a sport :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭spakman

Best time to play them alright

In any case - maybe we can get the fog machine out in Castlebar again and get it cancelled and resulted in a draw?

Oh wait... this isn't that other farce of a sport :D

The game that was abandoned due to fog got rescheduled and we hammered them! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Unrest in the Mayo ladies co.board.Assitant Secretary has resigned ,allegedly financial issues, unpaid charity fundraising and discontent amongst delegates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Unrest in the Mayo ladies co.board.Assitant Secretary has resigned ,allegedly financial issues, unpaid charity fundraising and discontent amongst delegates.

We’re a laughing stock at this stage. We make Trump look competent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anyone watching the Underdogs this year and/or going to the match in Castlebar in a couple of weeks?

Can't make it myself but would be interested to see what kind of team Mayo put out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Panrich wrote: »
    We’re a laughing stock at this stage. We make Trump look competent.

Arragh we are not really

The crowd over the border are in all sorts of bother with money and the hurling team (which as they tell us after their footballers fall flat year after year is what most of them are interested in anyway) can't even gather nominations for a new manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Pineapple1

Did any read the back page of yesterdays Indo? "O'Leary eyes sponsor bid in new twist to Mayo dispute". What I'm reading is that he wants the sponsorship of Mayo GAA over Elverys and has put his bid in for it. I dont know about ye but I would hate to see Elverys gone from the front of any Mayo jersey. Its part of the green and red at this stage. Correcr me if Im wrong but this is the same chap who is in dispute with Mayo CB over all the funds he gave them....and now he is asking them to consider him for sponsorship?? Christ on a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Bunny Colvin

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    Did any read the back page of yesterdays Indo? "O'Leary eyes sponsor bid in new twist to Mayo dispute". What I'm reading is that he wants the sponsorship of Mayo GAA over Elverys and has put his bid in for it. I dont know about ye but I would hate to see Elverys gone from the front of any Mayo jersey. Its part of the green and red at this stage. Correcr me if Im wrong but this is the same chap who is in dispute with Mayo CB over all the funds he gave them....and now he is asking them to consider him for sponsorship?? Christ on a bike

The highest bidder with the best package should get it. If that's O'Leary then fair enough.

• Advertisement

Pineapple1 wrote: »
    I thought you were talking about the Ryanair Horror Man there for awhile .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement