Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bigblu Satellite Broadband

• 09-03-2019 8:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any experience of this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Tefral

liam7831 wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience of this ?

I have it at the moment. I typically average around 17mps and about 6mps upload. It's the weirdest thing to have that speed, but initially when you open a page it takes a bit to open. It's due to the high ping. Mine is usually about 600ms which is very high. It beats having .5mb broadband an a 20ms ping though which is all I can get from where I am.

It was handy to install and I asked them for pre used equipment so didn't have to pay for the gear.

Just be aware the megabyte limit they give you is a combined up and download limit so it's worth holding off downloading anything major until 1am when it is un metered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Tefral wrote:
    I have it at the moment. I typically average around 17mps and about 6mps upload. It's the weirdest thing to have that speed, but initially when you open a page it takes a bit to open. It's due to the high ping. Mine is usually about 600ms which is very high. It beats having .5mb broadband an a 20ms ping though which is all I can get from where I am.

Tefral wrote:
    It was handy to install and I asked them for pre used equipment so didn't have to pay for the gear.

Tefral wrote:
    Just be aware the megabyte limit they give you is a combined up and download limit so it's worth holding off downloading anything major until 1am when it is un metered

Thanks for the reply, what package are you on? I'm not an expert on speeds but typically how long does it take to load a page ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Unless you're living at the bottom of a valley with absolutely no mobile service you shouldnt opt for satellite internet. The latency and caps are just horrendous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Tefral

ED E wrote: »
    Unless you're living at the bottom of a valley with absolutely no mobile service you shouldnt opt for satellite internet. The latency and caps are just horrendous.

Agreed. I have 3 bars of edge where I am so cant use the mobile network

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Jukebox Jim

Tefral wrote: »
    Agreed. I have 3 bars of edge where I am so cant use the mobile network

Hi Tefral,
    Interested in this service myself. Planning on moving to a small cottage where it's roughly about 0.4mb download with no 3g/4g. And Eir want €60 for that. Satellite might be the only way to go and I was just wondering whether you stream much video or game at all and if so what is the performance like in these areas?
    Thanks,
    Jim

• Advertisement

Hi Tefral,
    Interested in this service myself. Planning on moving to a small cottage where it's roughly about 0.4mb download with no 3g/4g. And Eir want €60 for that. Satellite might be the only way to go and I was just wondering whether you stream much video or game at all and if so what is the performance like in these areas?
    Thanks,
    Jim

You cannot game on satellite* as its stands. New LEO satellites might be possible to game on but they're not available yet.

* You could play turn based games

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SeanaciousD

Hi Tefral,
    Thanks,
    Jim

Watching video will work just fine but online gaming won't due to the high latency of satellite broadband as ED_E mentioned above.

If gaming is something you definitely need, it may be worth trying to get a 3G/4G signal using a proper mobile broadband modem if you have only tried on your phone so far.
    1. Check which provider has the closest or best Line of Sight mast (with 3G or 4G) to your home using the ComReg Site Viewer
    2. Get a dedicated 4G modem such as the Huawei B315. Most mobile providers have an option for this when you sign up. They may give it to you free on longer contracts, just check you have a 14 day cooling-off period so you can get a refund if it doesn't work.
    3. If you still can't receive a signal but think you may be close it may be worth getting an external antenna and mounting it on your roof. Directional antennas work best so long as you align them properly. The cheap ones are usually worse than the modems internal ones so it’s best to spring for the ~€100 options. Amazon should facilitate returns if it still doesn’t work for you.
    As a rule of thumb, if you can receive saorview TV signals with an external antenna you shouldn’t be too far away from receiving the lower band 3G/4G signals wiath an external antenna too, as saorview goes up to 700Mhz with 4G and 3G following at 800 and 900Mhz. The mast locations and powers they broadcast at will be different of course but all in all the coverage should be similar, in my experience at least.

Satellite broadband does an alright job, but there's no getting around it's high latency (Musk's plans excluded for now). So if you need the lower latency, it's worth giving mobile broadband a good college try at least. Check the Midband subforum here for more info!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

I was also looking to get Bigblu Satellite Broadband as we are with Eir broadband at the moment but problem is that we can only get 1.5mb on a 2mb connection on a good day. We don't do gaming here but obviously would love to but it seems its not possible with satellite broadband but if satellite broadband is significantly faster then surely it's worth it? The joys of a remote rural area lol

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭beya2009

Also on the site it states:

"Bigblu now gives faster speeds, better value and unlimited data."

Is that a bit misleading? lol

Ever had an old computer where you click and 10 seconds later something happens? Thats pretty much what sat internet (calling it broadband its misleading IMO) is like in 2019.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Croftman

Anyone go with BigBlu after? Just looking for some feedback

Advertisement