Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs that allow midweek game shooting.

Options
  • 09-03-2019 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Are there many clubs around that allow midweek game shooting?
    My own club in the Dublin area (and most clubs around here that I'm aware of) allow two game shooting days Sat & Sun.
    Due to shift work this cuts my shooting days in half so I was wondering if there are clubs out there that allow shooting midweek that take non local members. Preferably in the north leinster area.
    Or syndicates but they could be more expensive.

I know people are going to say just go out and get permissions etc but I'd rather pay the club fee and shoot the odd day than just shoot someone else's patch. It's frustrating when it happens in my own club.

Not looking for big bags of game, somewhere to get lost with the dog for a few hours and not meet anyone, something which is hard to come by where I'm based.

Don't all PM at once :D,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭skipking

the club i am in only allows shooting on a sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Username Exists.

skipking wrote: »
    the club i am in only allows shooting on a sunday.

Used to be that way in some clubs. Poachers used to have a field day on Saturdays.
    I know of a club that had a 9am start! another bonus for the poachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

Club I was in a long, long time ago only allowed pheasant shooting on Saturday & Sunday.
    There was also a limit of two cocks per man each day.

One Saturday I went out at about 8.30. Had walked half way up the first field when the dog flushed two cocks. Was lucky to get a left & right...very memorable shots...but for me the day's shooting was over after twenty minutes!!

Same rule in my own club. 2 birds, some clubs allow 3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Local club here has shooting Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. 2 pheasants per gun No shooting Christmas day or Stephen's Day.

• Advertisement

Emmersonn wrote: »
    Local club here has shooting Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday. 2 pheasants per gun No shooting Christmas day or Stephen's Day.

Good way to go. No chance of convincing my own club to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭J.R.

Good way to go. No chance of convincing my own club to change.

I think clubs are going to have to make allowances for people who work shift work and/or are in emergency services or other jobs with unsociable hours.

If all members can shoot on two days per week then an arrangement should be put it for shift workers to pick two other days that they are off.

This would actually spread out the shooting & have members on club land during mid-week to look out for poachers.

The club I was in was heavily poached.

The poachers avoided the place at the weekend but had a free-for-all Monday to Friday when no club members could go out game shooting.

If club members went out mid-week for a ramble on land for vermin or to deter poachers they were viewed with suspicion, especially if they had a dog with them.

Good points there J.R.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 coryg

hows things lads im living in the dublin area there and have been looking for a club but to no avail would any of yous have any details to any game clubs in dublin or sorounding that i could try and contact to see what the chances are of getting into one thank you any info helpfull

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

The National Association of Regional Game Councils (NARGC)
    should have a list of local gun clubs that may be suitable for you.
    A lot of land has been developed and clubs on the outer limits of the suburbs have ceased to exsist.
    Give the NARGC a phone call and ask them to forward you on some information:
    NARGC
    National Office
    Unit 1, O’Connell House Studios
    O’Connell House, Mountmellick
    R32 DA36, Co Laois
    Phone: 057 862 4927
    Email: nargc@nargc.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Markhor

The idea that gun clubs should only allow shooting on weekends is more Irish BS.

I remember a time when there were no gun clubs in the country, things were much better then you could shoot at any time within the legal regulations.

Now the problem is others hate to think of people out shooting while they are at work or otherwise occupied.

This is the old dog in the manger attitude, ''you cant go shooting because I cant. ''

All this type of crap in this country needs to cease.

Joe

coryg wrote: »
    hows things lads im living in the dublin area there and have been looking for a club but to no avail would any of yous have any details to any game clubs in dublin or sorounding that i could try and contact to see what the chances are of getting into one thank you any info helpfull

Where abouts in the county? Roughly. You find it hard to join a club if you're not living in the area or have a family connection.

The majority of clubs take in members at AGM's where they will be proposed and seconded or similar. AGM's are probably all done at this time of year so do the work now with a view to getting into a club for next year.

Markhor wrote: »
    The idea that gun clubs should only allow shooting on weekends is more Irish BS.

I remember a time when there were no gun clubs in the country, things were much better then you could shoot at any time within the legal regulations.

Now the problem is others hate to think of people out shooting while they are at work or otherwise occupied.

This is the old dog in the manger attitude, ''you cant go shooting because I cant. ''

All this type of crap in this country needs to cease.

Joe

It's not that the clubs are / are not allowed. It's the clubs themselves that make that rule. Other than that I agree with everything you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Are there many clubs around that allow midweek game shooting?
    My own club in the Dublin area (and most clubs around here that I'm aware of) allow two game shooting days Sat & Sun.
    Due to shift work this cuts my shooting days in half so I was wondering if there are clubs out there that allow shooting midweek that take non local members. Preferably in the north leinster area.
    Or syndicates but they could be more expensive.

I know people are going to say just go out and get permissions etc but I'd rather pay the club fee and shoot the odd day than just shoot someone else's patch. It's frustrating when it happens in my own club.

Not looking for big bags of game, somewhere to get lost with the dog for a few hours and not meet anyone, something which is hard to come by where I'm based.

Don't all PM at once :D,

one of my clubs you can shoot everyday

one of my clubs you can shoot everyday

How one sentence can make me jealous twice :D
    one of my clubs
    you can shoot everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

Any 2 days from 7 in my club , i proposed that rule change at the AGM and got it past as i work shift work and it seriously restricted my shooting. Why should i as a paying and active member be at a disadvantage because of my working circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stonehall9

Any 2 days from 7 in my club , i proposed that rule change at the AGM and got it past as i work shift work and it seriously restricted my shooting. Why should i as a paying and active member be at a disadvantage because of my working circumstances.

But any 2 days in 7 can mean every day when you think about it , a man can go shooting every day and any day that he doesn't meet somebody sure he wasn't out, farmers then are meeting lads on their lands 7 days a week, they won't be long getting sick of that , in our club it's weekends and Wednesday, farmers will challenge lads then who they meet outside of agreed shooting times, without the farmers we have nothing and the way things are going it's getting harder to keep ground, I think yere system is open to abuse by lads being honest.

Advertisement