Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frameset for winter / commute build

Options
  • 09-03-2019 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭

I've just impulse bought a new 5800 105 groupset and set of Shimano RS010 wheels on a second hand site near me - someone had taken them off a new bike.

I'd like to build up a winter / commute bike. I have a Cannondale Synapse with hydraulic discs that I had bought for this purpose but I'll upgrade the wheelset on that and keep it for sunnier days, a but expensive for what I want it for.

I'm thinking of a Genesis steel frame but looking for other suggestions. No real requirements apart from a bit of tire clearance and mudguard mounts, relaxed geometry if possible, not too expensive (mainly to allow me to lock it up outside on a rare occasion I stop off on the way home from work).

Don't commute every day and don't go out every weekend

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I've just impulse bought a new 5800 105 groupset and set of Shimano RS010 wheels on a second hand site near me - someone had taken them off a new bike.

I'd like to build up a winter / commute bike. I have a Cannondale Synapse with hydraulic discs that I had bought for this purpose but I'll upgrade the wheelset on that and keep it for sunnier days, a but expensive for what I want it for.

I'm thinking of a Genesis steel frame but looking for other suggestions. No real requirements apart from a bit of tire clearance and mudguard mounts, relaxed geometry if possible, not too expensive (mainly to allow me to lock it up outside on a rare occasion I stop off on the way home from work).

Don't commute every day and don't go out every weekend

What about a dolan preffisio? Very reasonable and Comfortable frame and a workhorse commuter / winter bike

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-preffisio-aluminium-road-frameset.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

+ 1 on the Dolan.
    Two members of my chain gang have them.
    Great value. Easy to work on, great tyre clearance,mudguard mounts. Paintwork seems to be good.
    Not lightweight, but a great winter workhorse.

Had a look at that frame built up on their site there, it's lovely.

preffisio-tiagra-bike-build_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

That seems to tick all boxes - will take a look at it thanks.

Any other suggestions before I click order on that? Build coming in at 600-700€ if I use that frame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Would you consider one of these bad boys:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/ZXRT58FRAMEKIT/planet-x-rt-58-v2-alloy-frame-kit-bundle

No personal experience, other than my sons and I have 5 Planet X bikes (all carbon) in our combined stables, which for the most part has been extremely positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

I like the updated Preffisio. It's hard to look past the value for something that's going to be used as a winter/commuter bike. This new updated version with clearance for 28's ticks a lot of boxes. It's not going to set the world alight in terms of weight though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

people who ride heavier bikes are fitter, though.

Went to pick up groupset I had agreed to buy and seller had a set of brand new hydraulic brakes and shifters for 180€ so I couldn't leave them there.

So I'm back to square one with the same question - which frameset for a winter build ideally with thru axles as I have a set of thru axle wheels I'd use for it.

Will be my first build so discs might make it a bit more complex - will take it slowly though and have some time off work coming up to play around with it.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

you could stick with dolan and get the rdx. Similar price to the prefisio although imo does not look as well. Currently discounted in orange and silver colourway
    https://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-framesets/road-framesets-aluminium/dolan-rdx-aluminium-frameset.html
    PRgbDqV.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

I built up a Kinesis alu frame a few years ago with disc brakes & proper mudguards. Very happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

LCD wrote:
    I built up a Kinesis alu frame a few years ago with disc brakes & proper mudguards. Very happy with it

I've just ordered a Kinesis RTD frame as the basis for my new winter/training bike - looking forward to getting it built up (when I can afford the rest of the build!!)

https://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Models/Racelight/RTD

Kinesis looks exactly what I'd like just high end of budget

I've decided to up budget on this given I'm going to effort of my first build - and consequently won't be using it for regular commutes (bought a Canyon Urban for that).

I'd like to get the frameset for 500-800€. At the moment I'm looking at:
    Kinesis 4S Disc
    Cannondale CAAD 12
    Ritchey Outback (only one of the list that is tricky to find on sale)
    Genesis - either Equilibrium Disc, Volare or less likely given usage, Croix de Fer

What are people's thoughts on the above? The Kinesis looks perfect as a winter build - but I have a liking for the steel options

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would have thought there's quite a difference between the caad12 and the equilibrium, to pick one of the choices out?
    i've no experience of the CAAD12, but i have an equilibrium and love it. disc frames are silly money these days IIRC though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've a croix de fer. Can run tyres from 23-37mm. Take it in road, gravel, canals and cx terrain. It's arguably the most versatile of the frames you mentioned. With that, I'd love to try a CAAD12

i have an equilibrium and love it. disc frames are silly money these days IIRC though.
    i should specify that i mean equilibrium disc frames. the difference between a disc and non-disc frame is RRP £300.

Agree they are not really all the same - spotted a CAAD12 new frame close to me for 550 which is why I think I'll go for that - not exactly what I set out to get but if I build a bike I want it to be something I really want.

I'd go for an Equilibrium Disc if I found one at a decent price but agree that the prices are a bit ridiculous and difference in disc and non disc doesn't really make sense. In previous years you could easily find the last year's version reduced but there doesn't seem to be any difference between the 2018 and 2019 models

So I went for the CAAD12 Disc in the end - 2016 model (I think) yellow frame but brand new and with lifetime warranty from a Cannondale store. Had QR rather than thru axles so needed to buy a wheelset which I wasn't planning to do.

Trying to keep overall build budget under 1100 - buying everything new but from second hand sites or Facebook groups.

So far I have
    Frameset - 550
    Shifters / hydraulic disc brakes (ST-RS505/BR-RS505) - 180
    Mavic Aksium wheels - 150
    Cannondale FSA SI crankset - 90
    Stem - 25

Still need a saddle, 105 derailleurs and handlebars. I have limited bike maintenance skills so a lot of YouTube videos to come I think.

i assembled a bike last year, was easier than expected (did not have to install the BB though).
    though you might need some tools not already in your possession.

• Advertisement

i assembled a bike last year, was easier than expected (did not have to install the BB though).
    though you might need some tools not already in your possession.
    Yeah I'm going to take my time with it - will be next year's winter bike so not in any real rush. I have a decent toolset & a torque wrench but will need tools to install the Cannondale BB30a bottom bracket and a hydraulic bleed kit. Headset is already in thankfully - frame seems to have just been stripped of groupset

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Yeah I'm going to take my time with it - will be next year's winter bike so not in any real rush. I have a decent toolset & a torquhttps://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/cannondale-bb30a.htmle wrench but will need tools to install the Cannondale BB30a bottom bracket and a hydraulic bleed kit. Headset is already in thankfully - frame seems to have just been stripped of groupset

https://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/cannondale-bb30a.html

What's another €100 for a proper bb

Picked up CAAD12 Frameset and wheels today. Crankset I had sorted fell through so didn't really start the build. BB bearings already installed so hoping putting crankset on won't be too much of a challenge

Planning to do it in this order:
    Finishing kit (still need to order stem, bars and saddle)
    Crankset
    Derailleurs and shifters
    Hydraulic brakes

Advertisement