Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on actual prices of property in Athlone area

Options
  • 09-03-2019 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

My wife and I are looking to move back to Ireland from the UK. We are looking at buying a house in the Athlone area or one of the towns around it.

I've been looking at property websites and I'm trying to get my head around prices. I've seen conflicting advice about the differences between prices paid and prices advertised.

In Westmeath at the moment, in general, are houses selling for above or below the asking prices? Some of the stuff I have seen has been on sale for a few months and I don't know if that is because of a lack of interest, or because of the longer sale process.

Here in the UK, if you put an offer in on a property you get an answer back pretty much straight away. From what I understand in Ireland the offer process is a much longer and drawn out affair.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Property Price Register

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Seasonal too. There will be an increase in activity about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Set up a daft alert and get the advertised prices then check back on property price register for what price things go for.

In the area you are looking at the sample might be small.

Other thing is to look up the property price register of property already sols and Google the address as you might get cached property listing on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Sue de Nimes

Thanks for the advice guys. I've been looking at the property price register but unfortunately, it doesn't always help. For some reason, some houses are listed with the number of bedrooms and bathrooms. Other houses are listed with nothing other than "second hand dwelling" which makes it hard to compare.

I'll try the google cache idea though. Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 172 ✭✭devlinio

You can always Google the address for more information. Usually you'll find an add either on Daft/Myhome or the estate agents own website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

You would think that something that we paid millions for and that is available to use such as eircode that identifies every property in the country would be used to advertise and also used for selling prices but no we wouldn't want to do that.

Advertisement