Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kaleidoscope 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I am genuinely unsure if the poster is one of those parody ones or not. Its basically a list of things you might get at a festival.

Scrumdiddlyumtious Festival of Food?
    Group Activities?

Its gotta be a parody.

Nah say its just to promote it before putting out line-up and judging by poster line-up won't be the main draw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

How many new festivals are there going to be this summer then?
    - Kaleidoscope
    - Tayto Park festival
    - Forever Young festival in Palmerstown House
    - The Biggest Disco in Navan.
    - Dun Laoghaire harbour (w/e of June bh)?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

How many new festivals are there going to be this summer then?
    - Kaleidoscope
    - Tayto Park festival
    - Forever Young festival in Palmerstown House
    - The Biggest Disco in Navan.
    - Dun Laoghaire harbour (w/e of June bh)?!

Great for families to be fair!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

sydthebeat wrote: »
    reminds me of the "boutique" elements of the first picnics.....

The only picnics. Became the Not So Electric Saturday Night in McDonald's O'Connell St around 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Hoboo wrote: »
    The only picnics. Became the Not So Electric Saturday Night in McDonald's O'Connell St around 2010.

Such ****e. You can say you don't fancy it anymore without writing off 3 or 4 hundred thousand of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

It sounds like a peace offering to families after they let the picnic turn into a warcamp.Picnics version of camp bestival.

Id don't see this as a straight dropping the guantlet to ATN, it's actually gonna take families away from their pals in body and soul and since it's in Wicklow Groove also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/fashion/kaleidoscope-new-three-day-family-friendly-festival-announced-1.3834259
    Richard Seabrooke is the festival’s creative director. A father-of-two, Seabrooke is a festival and events veteran. While most music and arts festivals have a family-friendly element, Seabrooke says he wanted to create a festival that was aimed squarely at families with quality programming aimed at all age groups.

The programming is geared towards five distinct age groups up to four year of age, five to eight year, nine to 12 years, 13 to 16 and their families. Much of the festival is aimed at “unlocking the creativity and potential within kids” and “setting their minds alight”.

Seabrooke says the festival addresses many of the “pinch points” associated with bringing children to festivals. For instance, there will be a communal breakfast to ease punters into the day while the rest of the programming will be staggered throughout the day to prevent energy levels peaking too early.
    “This isn’t a kiddie festival,” says Seabrooke. “It’s not a children’s programming event that is very much tailored to them and not their parents. It’s the opposite. This is a music and arts festival for everyone.”

“It’s kind of like when school breaks and everyone escapes to the Algarve. This is the Irish version of that. It just happens to be in a field for a weekend.”

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

“It’s kind of like when school breaks and everyone escapes to the Algarve. This is the Irish version of that. It just happens to be in a field for a weekend.”

Am I missing something or is the Irish version of that not escaping to the Algarve.

Am I missing something or is the Irish version of that not escaping to the Algarve.

Mobile home by the sea, happy out :)

My reading of that was essentially...

"We're different because we're totally kid focused. Everything is geared towards making sure your kids have a good time.

"But we're not kid focused, we're focused on everyone. Everyone."

I won't be surprised to see this bill lean heavily on the heritage acts and the Irish acts. No problem with that - my festival options are plentiful as it is - but it wasn't necessarily what I was hoping for when it was announced that there'd be a new addition to the calendar.

• Advertisement

My reading of that was essentially...

"We're different because we're totally kid focused. Everything is geared towards making sure your kids have a good time.

"But we're not kid focused, we're focused on everyone. Everyone."

I won't be surprised to see this bill lean heavily on the heritage acts and the Irish acts. No problem with that - my festival options are plentiful as it is - but it wasn't necessarily what I was hoping for when it was announced that there'd be a new addition to the calendar.

Yeah can't see many without kids rocking up tbh

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yeah can't see many without kids rocking up tbh

Well, it's hard to see where the rave in the woods fits into the following categories...
    The programming is geared towards five distinct age groups up to four year of age, five to eight year, nine to 12 years, 13 to 16 and their families.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

As someone with a toddler, and someone who loves festivals, this sounds tedious! But sure, look, maybe the lineup will be good. We'll be at Body and Soul the weekend before instead with our kid!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

So will this turn into a drink and drug fest do people think?So many kids forced to festivals it very unfair

• Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

This is a great idea to keep the insufferable families away from ATN, Body And Soul and electric picnic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I suspect this could be a failure the longer they hold back on a lineup announcement and seeing that there is already at least 3 festivals out there that cater for adults and families, one the weekend before.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Looking good for some shenanigans in Freetown if there trying to shuffle the families down there. You might see Apex Twin after all....

This is a great idea to keep the insufferable families away from ATN, Body And Soul and electric picnic

Shame they can't do anything to keep the insufferable forum posters away!

Any idea when they are announcing for this one.

Any idea when they are announcing for this one.

Nope, just coming soon was the latest last Thursday. Say it could be out in next week or 2 but that's just guessing tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Eod100 wrote: »
    Nope, just coming soon was the latest last Thursday. Say it could be out in next week or 2 but that's just guessing tbh

Meanwhile families all over the country are booking their June holidays...

Meanwhile families all over the country are booking their June holidays...

It's shaping up to be a total mess, isn't it?

I would imagine that any family that is planning on taking the kids away this summer already has a vague idea of what their plan is. And, in most cases, I would expect bookings...

It seems like an oddly late announcement for a new festival. I can't understand what they're going for by announcing in late March/early April for a late June event that involves camping.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

It's the Irish Fyre festival. Cut to June bank holiday and Lidl pop-up tents blowing all over the Wicklow countryside, 40 something couples from Foxrock wandering bereft up main street Blessington with plastic champagne flutes in one hand and a bawling toddler in the other. Netflix on high alert.

Is this the same site as Knockanstockan?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

Stillill42 wrote:
    It's the Irish Fyre festival. Cut to June bank holiday and Lidl pop-up tents blowing all over the Wicklow countryside, 40 something couples from Foxrock wandering bereft up main street Blessington with plastic champagne flutes in one hand and a bawling toddler in the other. Netflix on high alert.

That would make for some segment on reeling in the years.

No, about 4 miles away.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

Stillill42 wrote: »

I think the D4 set already their Fyre moment at the Streisand concert in Castletown house years back. The image of the well heeled trudging through the muck in all their finery looking for non existent seats still gives me a little smile 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

I'd imagine the soil of the Knockanstockan site has a lingering toxicity that would make it unsuitable for a family friendly event such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭exilec

Leaving it very late to announce anything . Strange set up considering they are aiming at families ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

exilec wrote: »
    Leaving it very late to announce anything . Strange set up considering they are aiming at families ??

Apparently the lineup is supposed to be released this week.

Advertisement