Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kaleidoscope 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

It's a strange one alright. This doesn't really belong in the same conversation as EP, Alltogethernow et al. As a stand-alone event, 105 yoyos for a weekends camping with a pile of stuff for the kids and a couple of bands I'd actually watch myself is hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

Stillill42 wrote: »
    It's a strange one alright. This doesn't really belong in the same conversation as EP, Alltogethernow et al. As a stand-alone event, 105 yoyos for a weekends camping with a pile of stuff for the kids and a couple of bands I'd actually watch myself is hard to beat.

ditto, im going to give it a whirl
    My 11yo has hounded me to go to EP for years
    this will tick that box and I can still go mad at EP!
    Besides, there should be plenty of kickable teens there!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

They're making the mistake of thinking that all families turn into MOR music listening beige clones. There are plenty of those families out there, but I'd imagine their appetite for going to a music festival is pretty low. Meanwhile, there are plenty of families who grew up raving the bit out that would love something that caters for kids (and is safe for them) during the day with a real smart music focus in the evenings.

Oh wait, that's Body and Soul.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Ah now, MJ. It's a broad church, the music game. I want my kids to be interested in music but they've realised at this stage that they're not prisoners to the Smiths or whatever I'm trying to brainwash them with. They've branched out into the wasteland of chart music. So I'll take the hit and let them sit on my shoulders and sing away to Wild youth or whatever, let them sample a bit of live music and festival life with the hope that they'll see the light along the line somewhere. We all have to start somewhere. I used to like ZZ Top.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

MJohnston wrote: »
    They're making the mistake of thinking that all families turn into MOR music listening beige clones. There are plenty of those families out there, but I'd imagine their appetite for going to a music festival is pretty low. Meanwhile, there are plenty of families who grew up raving the bit out that would love something that caters for kids (and is safe for them) during the day with a real smart music focus in the evenings.

Oh wait, that's Body and Soul.

That is what I was thinking also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,005 ✭✭✭endainoz

Pretty much the calibre of acts I was expecting to be added here. Still expect some 80s UK act and anyone want to be against me that the likes of Hermitage Green won't get added?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

the vast majority of the country like "beige MOR music", families or not. I'd say lineup is better than that though, plenty of decent acts on there:

Kaleidoscope_lineup.png?format=1500w&content-type=image%2Fpng

Don't really understand some of the previous posts either, since they started calling it a family festival, everything has pointed to it being what is now confirmed. it's a pleasant weekend (or day trip) with the kids, and some music tacked on to the side.
    People that were still expecting The Killers or Orbital or whoever must not have been paying attention.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Ah now, MJ. It's a broad church, the music game. I want my kids to be interested in music but they've realised at this stage that they're not prisoners to the Smiths or whatever I'm trying to brainwash them with. They've branched out into the wasteland of chart music. So I'll take the hit and let them sit on my shoulders and sing away to Wild youth or whatever, let them sample a bit of live music and festival life with the hope that they'll see the light along the line somewhere. We all have to start somewhere. I used to like ZZ Top.

And then at the picnic its reversed and you sit on their shoulders belting out the Streets?

Ah that's confirmed, hadn't seen the poster. Considering the price, thats a great lineup for Irish acts to be fair!

I'm not talking about the kids tbh (although there's still not a chance that Bell X1 are popular with kids - that's a mammies band if I ever saw one), I'm talking about whether or not that kind of lineup is going to appeal to parents.

Specifically, I wonder whether it'll appeal to the kinds of parents who are willing to lug their kids out to camp in a tent for a couple of days. But then, it's probably close enough to Dublin that they'll be able to flog a bunch of day tickets? Who knows!

It just doesn't really seem to me to have any kind of coherent identity as a festival. Camp Bestival is a much more compelling version of the same idea - lots of fun retro acts.

As an aside, the name choice was pretty bad - search for "kaleidoscope festival" and you get some festival in London that just started up last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Col45

Do you think they will have a camper section or will it be only camping

Col45 wrote: »
    Do you think they will have a camper section or will it be only camping

There's a page:
    https://www.kaleidoscopefestival.ie/camping

Hadn't seen that page.
    Thanks

Seem to looking for passwords for loyalty section and camper terms. Not letting me in?

OK, I need to eat my hat... decent Irish lineup & 2 adults plus 2 kids for €105 early bird

plus the amazing car camping option:
    CAR CAMPING
    In an exciting first for an Irish festival, festival goers can drive their car into the designated car camping area where they are directed into a marked out pitch of 3m x 6m. Campers can park up their car in the pitch space and then set up their tent beside their car.

mind you the car camping (€87) is more expensive than campervan ticket (€55) ... (shrugs).

I have to say that overall it looks very good and should definitely cater for many families.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Seem to looking for passwords for loyalty section and camper terms. Not letting me in?

site is under construction

The website is a half-finished disaster

Thanks for replying. Going to try for tickets Tuesday give it a try. Found ep a bit much to have kids at last year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

The website has the following prices under loyalty scheme:

https://www.kaleidoscopefestival.ie/loyalty-scheme
    Weekend Camping ticket prices for someone who has attended 3 or more Electric Picnic Festivals:

* Adult Weekend with Camping (18+) €107.75

* Age 12-17 Weekend with Camping €65

* Age 6-11 Weekend with Camping €47

* Age 2-5 Weekend with Camping €28

* Babes in arms (Under 2’s) FREE

Weekend Non-Camping ticket prices for someone who has attended 3 or more Electric Picnic Festivals:

* Adult Weekend non-camping (18+) €91.50

* Age 12-17 Weekend non-camping €55.40

* Age 6-11 Weekend non-camping €42

* Age 2-5 Weekend non-camping €24

* Babes in arms (Under 2’s) FREE

Doesn't sound like you get a family of 4 for €105 after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Otsuka

I was thinking the same but it does say a family ticket for €105 will be available for a limited time.
    Once off never to be repeated I’d say ;)

• Advertisement

Otsuka wrote: »
    I was thinking the same but it does say a family ticket for €105 will be available for a limited time.
    Once off never to be repeated I’d say ;)

It's very confusing that they have two loyalty streams. I wonder can two adults with no kids get a family camping ticket? Claim its discrimination or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭danois

How do you get early bird tickets? I have signed up to be kept informed. Done that when it was first announced. Never received an email from them! Is it only for EP regulars? It’s all very confusing

Wait, so they've figured out how to be the first Irish festival to charge for under 12s?

Excluding the limited family deal and the loyalty discounts, it's about €292 (plus fees) for two adults and a toddler for two nights camping. Body and Soul cost me €298 (plus fees) for two adults and a toddler (although our tickets would cover up to four under-12s) for 3 nights camping.

Can't fault their moxie, I suppose!

Its pretty clear:
    Weekend camping tickets for a family of four - 2 adults & 2 children under 18 years of age. Valid until the 1st May.

Early Bird Family Ticket €105.75

possibly a limited editiion of these ... allows for SOLD OUT! within a few minutes.

So only under 2s go free ... !

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Otsuka

Received my loyalty code from Ticketmaster a little while ago

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

What time will kids be allowed in till I wonder

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

So would one adult and 3 kids be ok or does it have to be 2 adults two kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

bigpink wrote: »
    What time will kids be allowed in till I wonder

I doubt there’ll be any restrictions, it’s a family festival. I’d say it’ll be an early enough start/finish each day.

Russborough is in the middle of nowhere, i.e. not surrounded by any houses so I doubt there’ll be any sound/noise restrictions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I doubt there’ll be any restrictions, it’s a family festival. I’d say it’ll be an early enough start/finish each day.

Russborough is in the middle of nowhere, i.e. not surrounded by any houses so I doubt there’ll be any sound/noise restrictions.

Meant from a licenseing view what’s the cut off if alcohol is served

• Advertisement

Also have a discount code, if anyone wants it, give me a shout

Advertisement