Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kaleidoscope 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

Adrift wrote: »
    No I’m in Blessington.

Yeah a three day festival is going to make the town financially viable for another year.

Run by a local promoter. Book shop have a tent. Local butcher supply most off the meat. Local owned HD fitness running events there all weekend. Every room in avon piper hill b&b near you ;) booked out and tulffaris booked. Lighten up mate or move to mayo. Those choppers flying low over your estate must be driving you nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

Run by a local promoter. Book shop have a tent. Local butcher supply most off the meat. Local owned HD fitness running events there all weekend. Every room in avon piper hill b&b near you ;) booked out and tulffaris booked. Lighten up mate or move to mayo. Those choppers flying low over your estate must be driving you nuts

Oh you’re right, sounds great. Hope there’s tickets left for tomorrow. What lame bands are playing Saturday mate?

Oh you’re right, sounds great. Hope there’s tickets left for tomorrow. What lame bands are playing Saturday mate?
    Haven't a clue bud. I get in for free but I'll get you one if you like. You seem like the sort of chap who needs a little excitement in his life

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

I’m a local. We don’t want the festival here. Can hear it from the house now, complete rubbish, praying for rain.

NIMBY! More people live beside the RDS.. for example

NIMBY! More people live beside the RDS.. for example
    In fairness though, mate has fields behind the venue. Crying out for a drop of rain. Seen lots of photos and vids up on FB tonight. Looks like all were enjoying it. Very child and teen friendly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I’m a local. We don’t want the festival here. Can hear it from the house now, complete rubbish, praying for rain.

Hahaha! Dick.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Only complaint I have from yesterday is there was too much of a gap between music and as I didn't bring kids not a lot to do. Nice venue, some good performances and great atmosphere make up for it somewhat. With Jerry Fish fully open today hopefully won't have as much of an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I'm going to vomit in your garden later

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭leitrim4life

Looks like car camping was canceled due to fire safety

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

This is a local shop for local people, we'll have no trouble here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah it was a bit of a sh1t show yesterday. I’d imagine refunds to follow.

Absolute scorcher here today.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Lester Freamon

What was this about?

What was this about?

You were supposed to be able to park your car beside your tent if you paid extra. Then when people got there they directed them there they weren’t allowed. They provided a parking area next to the campsite.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

No I’m in Blessington.

Yeah a three day festival is going to make the town financially viable for another year.

“Most locals I know are either there or are going tomorrow.”

My dad used to say Most locals are morons. He was dead right.

Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Adrift

I'm going to vomit in your garden later

Try it pal.

Oh and to Mr It’ll be great for local business. I spoke to three business owners today and they all said it’s hurt them. They requested to have stalls or to work with the festival but we’re roundly ignored. The only business that got a look in were the usual suspects. One shop owner told me they did so little business today they’d shut at three pm.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,098 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Were they hit by much/any rain this morning? Fabulous afternoon/evening, well jealous, whilst looking at Glastonbury on the telly.

Much better today. I thought everyone seemed to be more relaxed and into a groove today. They were still putting the place together yesterday evening as they were still putting up signs and organising the different walkways etc.

It’s certainly a family friendly festival with kids running everywhere. Had to laugh at the guy that was getting thick with me for saying that his kid nearly took my head off as he was running around through the crowd with a kite trailing behind him. I wasn’t having a go, was just saying it to my wife and he overheard.

Was quite surprised with the amount of people with newborns. As someone who brings their kids to EP all the time, that’s where I’d draw the line. Sounds like waaay too much hassle.

Place definitely has potential to grow into something really good.

Imelda May was very good tonight, much better than the snoozefest that are BellX1. KKC rocked it as ever.

Great day today. Delighted for Russborough (and I live in Blessington too) - overheard plenty of people comment how they are going to come back to Russborough again with their families for a visit. Really chilled atmosphere.

Still think they could improve with signage and maps, but minor points on an excellent day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Disappointed I couldn’t get there due to other commitments, but maybe best as they normally improve things the second year out. Hope it all went well

Much better today. Felt more like a festival and some great shows from thumper, rsag, riptide and Jerry Fish. Also due to overruns caught the end of frank and Walters which was a nice bonus. Nice to see they finally covered the fence in front of urinals so kids didn't have to see them being used

• Advertisement

Much better today. Felt more like a festival and some great shows from thumper, rsag, riptide and Jerry Fish. Also due to overruns caught the end of frank and Walters which was a nice bonus. Nice to see they finally covered the fence in front of urinals so kids didn't have to see them being used

Caught the end of Frank & Walters too. Thought they were great. Had the place hopping.

No I’m in Blessington.

“Most locals I know are either there or are going tomorrow.”

My dad used to say Most locals are morons. He was dead right.

Haha says the blow in. It's no wonder your neighbour's kids made your life hell.

Try it pal.

Oh and to Mr It’ll be great for local business. I spoke to three business owners today and they all said it’s hurt them. They requested to have stalls or to work with the festival but we’re roundly ignored. The only business that got a look in were the usual suspects. One shop owner told me they did so little business today they’d shut at three pm.

Yeah I'm calling that BS mate. What shop closed at 3pm. The town has been jammed since Thursday. Why don't you just go for today. Try and be positive about it. The whole event has been relatively well run apart from some initial car park confusion. I've not spoken to one single person who thinks the event was a bad idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Mucker46 wrote: »
    cailinoBAC wrote: »
    The Eskies are good!

Listened to them earlier definitely different and would say good crack live
    OK, did I imagine they were on the line up? No sign of them on schedule any more.

Staying with my in laws close to Blessington and get the sense from them that most people are happy about it.

Due to swap between thumper and little hours I missed montauk hotel. Anyone catch them? Any good. Missed them at EP last year due to clash as well.

cailinoBAC wrote: »
    OK, did I imagine they were on the line up? No sign of them on schedule any more.

Staying with my in laws close to Blessington and get the sense from them that most people are happy about it.

Looking at my playlist and poster can't see them but thought they were due to play

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭leitrim4life

Got varying answers from security lads as to how many ppl turned up , one lad had it at 8k the other 12k id put it at 9-10k inc day trippers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Patser

Just home, with a very tired 6 year old straight to bed, after phone died yesterday and battery pack fault: so here's my review of weekend.

Fantastic.

Weather played ball, despite a thunderstorm Saturday morning at 6am giving us big worries for day ahead. Friday was scorching, Saturday was warm until 4pm then scorching, today cooler and breezier but v little rain - so Adrift your good wishes for us all failed.

Atmosphere was great for families, very chilled and friendly, anyone getting messy stood out like a sore thumb. Instead all little ages from infants to teens just having fun, spontaneous football matches, kites and frizbees everywhere, lots of art shows and creative shows especially down in wonderland areas. Enough subtle things like fairy doors, giant flowers, performers in costume wandering about to distract. Hot air balloon that drifted over Bell X1 set a special mention.

Music wise was grand, as said big gaps (45 mins) between sets and main stages running at same times meant gaps were obvious as you couldn't go from 1 to another. Wild Youth were very good, as were Kíla, Bell X1 grand although great that they played Everythings Not Awesome for Lego movie 2 (including dig at Damien Rice) - left them for a few minutes to check out King Kong Club and they seemed to be absolutely on fire (others said they were highlight of weekend). For most part music became secondary to activities.

And regards those activities- they were our mainstay. Art in Wonderland with talks aimed at kids from people involved in famous kids books, and films like Cartoon Saloon (Song of the Sea), a group called Fighting Words who talked through making comic books and loads others. I loved Jerry Fish tent early in the days when they had Circus workshops for kids, and all sorts of dressed up characters- Pirates, Stiltwalkers, Fairy Steam Punk Princesses drifting about.

Little hassle in parking- we were regular campers so didn't know there was any issue with car camping, no major complaints about campsite bit noisy late on, mostly excited kids and a few parties til 1am (fecking Garda Helicopter hovering at 11.30pm Friday night), but layouts were good, parking right beside them and security turning a blind to almost everything but none taking the piss out of it.

Any niggles- poor signage, and lots of staff who seemed to have just arrived that day and had no idea of lay out. So a lot of exploring needed to find best ways around.

Tech issues at food vendors meant some would accept Tappy only, or cards only or cash only. So you'd queue for food and before you'd order would need to check how they'd need you to pay.
    Genuine conversation when approaching empty bar Friday night
    Girl at entrance 'How will you be paying cash or Tappy'
    'I've both so either is fine'
    Girl 'We've a problem with our tills so we can't accept cash, sorry'
    'I'll use Tappy thing then'
    Girl, blank look......'Oh yeah....Anyone got the Tappy thing and know how to use it?'

It was early ish Friday, but issues continued most of the weekend. Not big as long as you kept your options open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭Patser

Oh also big mention for the Birds of Prey centre - walked in to immediately be handed baby Owls! Baby fecking Owls! Little balls of fluffy down with giant eyes. Daughter was enthralled, and delighted when one bit (gently) her finger.

Advertisement